Smartlipo on Inner and Outer Thighs, Very Painful!

I have always thought of getting lipo but it was...

I have always thought of getting lipo but it was always too scary to go through with. I have had cellulite issues all my life. I am very athletic but I cant get rid of this issue. I went for 20 treatements of endermology and 9 velashapes and nothing, no change.

The place I was going to offered SmartLipo, I read lots of your reviews and was pretty nervous. But it seemed so easy, they way they advertise it is NOT what it is at all. Its NOT a lunch time procedure and you definately need to rest for at least 2 days. They also dont mention any of the pain associated with it. Let me explain my experience.

I get there and the Doctor asks me which I want to do the inneror outter tights first. I was like , what? I want to do both, he says oh no you can only do one and come back. I thought I was gonna ring his neck ya know. I was like please you have to do both, there is no way I can get enough nerve to come back. He wind up having enough anesthetic to do both thank God because after that experience I would not go back.

So your awake which is crazy, the more I saw the more anxous I got. Tell them to cover your eyes The first is a tool to make wholes in your legs, not so bad. Then next is a long needle is long and thin and its to put in a local anesthetic, then comes a large fat long needle to pour in the rest of the anesthetic. With BOTH of them I felt lost of pain, sometimes unbearable. I felt stabbing, pinching and shocks throughout my knees as if I were being electricuted. I was not prepared nor did the Doctor prepare me for anything. I thought we were done at that point. Then they told me it was just the anesthetic. I was like, are you kidding?

Then the legs were pretty large and numb. He started with the laser, I ffelt some burning and pinching not nearly as much as the anesthetic. Then the stabbing to loosen the fat and the suction, there was pain involved in that as well, some stabbing and jabbing but again not like the anesthetic. I actually wanted to run out of the room, I started to look at my lumpy legs and think. OMG what did I do.

I had my surgery on 11/20 I am now 3.5 days post op. I just recently added some pictures. You can see I am extremely bruised and even lumpy. I went for my follow up and the Doctor was extremely happy with th results. I do have smaller inner and outter thights but Im still so swollen to see real results. I understand it will take time.
With that said I will continue to post my progress and then make a final "worth-it" decision at a later date.

Updated on Dec 17, 2008:

12/17/08 - I posted some new pictures. My swelling is going down but I was hoping that my legs would be smaller than they are. I know Im not fat or overweight but I still have large legs. I do hope that with time they will continue to get smaller. I wear my garment all day everyday. I also ordered ScarFX because my scars are pretty bad.

Smart Laser MD, Dr. Acaru

I feel comfort that I'm not alone when I read your review. All these reviews saying it was painfree, all the YouTube videos, like it was nothing. I was screaming and begging my doctor during my procedure to stop. Injecting the tumescent fluid is unbelievably painful!!!!!! I cannot describe how bad it was. What's worse is I orginally set out to have done mine smart lipo done in 2 areas in 2 procedures. Now after that experience of inner & outer thigh. I have NO idea how I'm going to be able to go back for inner knee & anterior thigh. It makes me cry just thinking about it.
I forced them to do my inner and putter thighs same day there was no way I would go through it again. Its been 5 years and if I had to di it again I would NOT. My scars are very obvious and my legs have dents in them where the procedure was done unevenly. I never got saddle bags again but that is partly in part to my great exercise and diet efforts even after two kids.
I just had smartlipo done and I was not prepared for the pain I endured. I was given something to calm anxiety but not for pain. The local anesthesia fluid that took an hour to do my whole core area and I am 5’8 at 140lbs. I was told the liquid is separating the muscle from the skin, and that is why is hurts. OMG, I thought I was going to black out from the pain. I will never do that again. I am not sure why some do not experience the pain or if mine was just done differently. I had traditional lipo done 6 months prior, but it was not done correctly. I was told the pain was also from the scaring from the first procedure. I am still in lots of pain three day after.
I honestly do not beleive anyone when they say there was no pain. No matter how little fat is removed, it is still very traumatic to the body and it does take time to recover.
Hi I am reading all of your post and am freaking out as i have scheduled surgery (smart lipo) for 4 weeks from now. I was under the impression that it was not painful but you all had so much pain. I am a mother of 3 small children so I need to be active not laying around. I am planning on doing my butt and flanks maybe a little on the lower stomach. Is there anyone out there that did not have pain?
I think the lumpiness u had day 2 dissapeared on day 23.i think the results look pretty great.
Lipo of any type is never a walk in the park and should be something you really want and are willing to go through PAIN for. Im 22 and have had lipo on my stomach and legs and I went down 3 dress sizes. So for me it was kinda worth it, however now that it is said and done I still feel I have to get something else done, due to the unevenness on my stomach. All I can say is do your research and be sure that it is something you can afford and not something you can do on your own with exercise.
I think your legs look really good. I'm kind of like you in that I'm not big or overweight but have fatty thighs with cellulite all around. I am considering smart lipo but was concerned because some say that lipo can make cellulite worse, and some say it can improve the look of it so I guess that is what I would be curious to know in your case since it's really hard to get a good answer and I definitely don't want to do it if it makes it worse. I was thinking of trying the Accent Laser either before or after the lipo to maybe enhance the results.
Well I noticed you coul;d not see cellulite in either my before or after pictures but its there especially when light hits my legs. Summer is worst for me because of that. I cant really tell right now because Im still healing and swelling still going down. Its definately there but the skin is tightening a bit and it may have reduced it some. Im not a fat or overweight person but always had a problem with that. They did tell me this was not a solution for cellulite removal so I knew it going in. I tried lots of other things like vela shape and endermology, none of which worked
You mentioned cellulite has been a problem for a long time. Did the smart lipo procedure help that as I don't see any in your pictures.
ndmoreno are you referring to me looking good? Its hard to tell who is writing to who. if so thanks so much. Maybe Im just to picky, I suppoe Im looking for that perfect non saddlebagged leg
I did my Smart Lipo on October with this Dr. and I can tell you that he is great! My body looks tight and young and I feel younger! The price was also good, less than $5,000 for the full abdomen. I'm happy with the procedure and I will go back to do my legs.
I think that you actually look nice. You still have some nice curves but the legs are smaller. You are actually really fortunate for the mild slight irregularity. Honest you look really good.
I agree with you right now, NOT WORTH IT for a few inches. I'm going to get a trainer, something I should have done before I had my procedure. The pictures of your legs look good compared to mine.
They are getting better and the swelling has gone down some but I really thought they would be smaller. The doctor said I have to wait 3-6 months for final results. Although my outter thighs are smaller, for all the pain I went through I thought it would be a bit slimmer. Only time will tell. I will keep posting pictures as time goes on.
Girl, your legs look good! I can't wait to have my love handles done. Your bruising and results are astonishing compared to what I've seen on similar sites. I'm very picky when spending my hard earned cash, so I've been to 4 surgeons in Nashville and looked at dozens of websites if I don't feel at least 95% comfortable there will be no exchange of funds. I have to look a doctor in the eyes and feel like I can trust him or her with my life.
i actually think your legs look beautiful on the 23rd day compared to the first day, i know it was painful but thats to be expected and it seems like your scars are healing quite nicely. you may hate the results but i think anyone on the outside looking in can see that your legs look awesome now
Troo - While some may think I'm bat do do crazy, the fatty tissue, additive used to thicken it (once it's been suctioned) and tumescent fluid filled 8 one liter containers. It does seem like an awful lot, so during a post op visit I had the doctor check my chart and she confirmed a total of 8,000 cc's had been suctioned. The good news is that within a couple of weeks post op I was down 20 lbs.
Um, poodlerider, you DO know that 8000 cc = 8 liters, right? Which is more than 2 gallons? Cuz that's an awful lot of liquid!
I am 4 days post-op, after having inner/outer thighs, butt, and knees done. The pain has yet to subside, I am incredibly stiff and sore, and nervous about returning to work in 2 days. I am in the garment pretty much 24/7 except to shower. Note to those who are planning to have the surgery: do not rush to remove the garment! I tried to shower the day after my surgery, but when I removed the garment I became so overwhelmed and lightheaded that I lost my breath and fell straight down to the ground. Make sure that someone is there to help you, I surely needed it. I am now taking every move slowly and strategically so that I don't have a repeat of that situation. I am hoping this pain starts to decrease, even slightly, so far I'm in pain every time I stand up, sit down, move positions... I'm curious to know if anyone else has taken this long to "get moving", as I keep reading of people who are returning to work 1-2 days post op. I couldn't even imagine. Having stated all of those negative post-op opinions, I will say that I am very hopeful and enthusiastic to see my results as they develop. My doctor removed 3 liters of fat and I can already see a difference through the garment in the inner thighs. Now just waiting to see a smaller behind!
GudyNuf said "I am a runner and run road races and been kept away from the procdure because I can't take the risk for sake of my love for running and racing." You should definitely consider NOT getting any lipo on your legs then! First of all, there could be serious, even deadly, consequences. Is that worth it just for a few inches of what you perceive to be unsightly? More importantly, I'll wager your legs aren't even fat at all, but rather are thick and muscular. Lipo couldn't fix that anyway!
Thank you. I love hearing comments that steer me away from the procedure. Yes, my legs are beefy and strong. My upper thighs (fat pockets) rub and wear out my compression shorts. Can't wear regular racing shorts because they will rub and chafe (ouch!). Proud to say my last race two weeks ago was a personal best. 2:00:37 for the half marathon (13.1 miles). Age divison 40-44 female. Came in 23 out of 65. I am getting stronger and ran 24 miles yesterday (painful) for my long run (training for P.F. Chang Marathon and 200 mile Del Sol Ragnar Relay). To be honest if I lose 10lbs. I will be at my ideal racing weight and feel more comfortable in my skin and easer on my joints. So, when the adds for these procedure say best for the unwanted fat that will not respond to diet and excercise. Are we being honest with ourselfs and doing the right eating habits? I know I can improve better with my eating habits and lose 10lbs. Here is my experiment. I have a picture of my 144lb. body. Lets, see what I will look at 130lbs. in time. Iam not sure how to post the photo so I will update.
Hard to believe I know, but when I looked at several large full containers after the doctor had finished the procedure I gasped and asked how much was there. When she said the total was 8,000 cc's all I could think was how thrilled I was be rid of it. Apx. 4/5ths of the yuck in the containers was yellowish and the remaining 1/5 appeared to be fluid with blood in it. Keep in mind that part of what was suctioned was the tumescent (sp?)fluid initially injected under the skin. Makes me gag to know I was carrying so much nasty fat around with me. Now to keep up with healthy eating habits and a regular workout routine. Hope I don't need to resort to sewing my lips together during the holidays!
Your results look beautiful! After seeing lots of reviews with photo's your bruising and swelling doesn't look bad. I am very pleased with your results. It is surgery and it will take 3-6 months to heal fully. Hang in there you had a great doc! I would like to here about your progress and when you will be returning back to your athletic abilities. I am interested in knowing if it effects endurance, running etc... I am a runner and run road races and been kept away from the procdure because I can't take the risk for sake of my love for running and racing. I wish I had your beautiful legs.
Hi Cgorman, Your post op condition is WAY better than mine was. I had inner, outer, front and back thighs done 7/1 and I'm still seeing changes. By day 2 post op my thighs were totally bruised from shades of dark purple to black. Be prepared for jabbing hot needles sensations once the nerve endings start to heal. Hang in there though - the doc' took 8,000 cc's out of my thighs and while I'm not ready for shorts yet, I look really good in jeans!