Sounded Great. Unattractive Result

Hello, So hear goes. Lost a baby. Ended a...

Hello, So hear goes. Lost a baby. Ended a relationship, nearing the year end and wanted to do something 'smart' for myself. I had clipped out the article entitled 'smart lipo' out of a people magazine about 9 month earlier and saw the procedure listed in the Mercury News under Bid/Buy. I ended up bidding on the procedure and won it.

This was said to be a safe procedure that was minimually inevasive and will provide a powerful result. Well it did but not one that I want to go out and show the world. Heck I can hardly show myself. So much for that new boyfriend i was due to find out on the horizon. Now, I am glued to the internat searching for ways to undo the mess I have gotten myself into. For one, this procedure was said to help with cellulite. Bonus, right? Careful what you wish for. The claims are untrue. The procedure hurt. I left swollen and bruised and oozed through 2 compression garments and saturated 2 sheets of blood, and saline fluids.

The garment was uncomfortable. And honestly. the result is hideous. I am 41. I do not exercise regularly, I eat sensibly. I weighed 121 going and came out weighing the same. 1200 cc were removed. Areas treated; outer thigh, banana roll and knees. Cost 4500.00 savings of 2500.00 due to winning the bid auction. My hips were 37-38 before and thighs 36, legs were about 21 inches at the top.. Now believe it or not. I lost my curves. I am 35 hips, 35 thighs and 19 in the left thigh and 17 in the right thigh. please really consider what you are doing. I have seen 2 plastic surgeons who said too much fat was removed. There is not help in sight for me. Unfortunately, I can't undo this damage. I now have man-made cellulite unattractive legs and not a beautiful contour at all.

Try your absolute best to be happy with you. If not, you may have to live the next years of your life like me. My doctor was reputable, renowned and even a trainer on Smart lipo. That day he said my procedure was going to the Cancer Society as a donation. I have learned that the other 2 doctors that worked with my doctor were not just in fact 'nice' and helping but rather I was a test subject and they were being trained. It exerbates cellulite. It has the ptiential to look unnatural. I am learning that my result in not uncommon.

Hi- I'm so sorry to hear all your bad news! Adding one more bad thing to your plate certainly wasn't needed. I too submitted a "not worth it" review for smart lipo. It's only been a month but I'm hopeful it will turn out better. I will concede that your cellulite doesn't look like somthing that happens naturally. There is an unevenness that seems a bit different. Not being a doctor myself but hearing your story and seeing your pictures, it does seem likely the procedure is at fault. I'm curious... how long after losing your baby (a failed pegnancy?) did yoy have this treatment? Do you think hormones could have exacerbated this effect? I say this to try and help you come up with all possible answers. I'm not insinuating pregnancy caused this but there certainly is a role with hormones and cellulite. Maybe the timing of the procedure didn't go well with the timing of the hormones. The doctor should note this so it doesn't happen again. I imagine science involved with optimal plastic surgery results. Anyway...no matter how much you paid...even if it was free...the doctor needs to make it right! What has happened is NOT accepatble. I beleive you would have a really good court case based on your story with the switching of doctors alone. However, Cellulite is VERY hard to fix. BUT if you were told too much fat was taked out, fat can be injected back in (OMG- sounds horrible I must admit). Have you talked with the doctor? I'm sure he will want to do the right thing. If he doesn't, start gathering other expert opinions to get a case together. Also, I would report it to the place you bought it from. They shouldn't want to ask for his donation again. One thing I have learned from plastic surgery...be VERY weary of anything that is lower priced. Deals happen for a reason and will cost you much more in the long run. I know! My $1000 lower priced breast augmentation 2 years ago is now costing me another 9K to get it repaired. So, I wish you better luck and pray that your doctor will do the right thing. It's time you start heading in the right direction! Julie
I also had smartlipo done on my outer/inner thighs, butt and banana roll exactly 2 months ago on 02/29/08 I am still waiting since results are very minimal :o( As you I got fat taken out but I am still the same weight before the procedure (I'm 5'3" 125 lbs) I do exercise 3x a week or more and eat right. I am very discouraged and sad that I spend $8,000.00 in a procedure that didn't give me the results that I wanted. The only thing left is keep hoping to see improvement in the next few months. Xenia
good luck to you. Hang in there. I hope you get what it is you are searching for. You sound like a good candidate. That's just an awful lot of monies to pay out.

Sorry for all of the typos. I sent this before...

Sorry for all of the typos. I sent this before proofreading it. Anyway, I hope that the pictures show you a clear result. I am 5 months post op. My tummy was flat prior to the surgery and now weight that would have store in the thigh area has moved to the stomach area. Honestly, the best advice that I give is not whether the procedure works. We know that it does. We've all seen the those pictures. What i believe is worth sharing are the Doctors who performed those and were successful. A large part of my problem was that I sought out someone who would perform the procedure fairly close to my area. This doctor was one of three. I didn't do my homework. Good luck all and I hope you find your true beauty.

Please add back in some of my original photographs as they have been removed after submitting another recent treatment I tried in an effort to correct some of the smart lipo damage.  Anyway, I hope that the pictures can show others what could happen. thanks. It won't left me just submit the photographs as I originally intended.

Thank you Lise!! It is people like you that help us keep going. Thanks for taking the time to view my story and post a comment.
Hi there, I just checked out your posting again and saw the newer pictures. What I see on your legs looks very similar to what I’ve got right now, but I have actual ridges where the suction stopped and started. It’s been about 3 ½ months since I had the bad procedure done and I’ve noticed a couple more changes in the past week, I think I may have lost a bit more fat, too. My outer left thigh definitely has less fat then my right and is a bit more lumpy. Don’t know if you read my follow-up on July 22 about my second consultation. I’m putting all my faith in Dr. F’s evaluation that everything will work out fine. If he can just eliminate the ridges and most of the lumps I’ll be happy, which is his plan. If you are interested in traveling (don’t know where you live) you might be interested in talking to him. He’s at Rejuvenate Medispa in Utica, NY. You can tell him that Roberta R. suggested you call him. I’m not an expert but from what I see in your new pictures he may be able to help you, at least somewhat.
Thank you for everything. Honestly. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Looking for relief not regret.  It has been...

Looking for relief not regret.  It has been over a year now and I still look and feel just Ike I did when this all happened.   It is easy to say I wish I could turn back time.  Only it is not working.  I feel completely saddened by this decision to change my appearance.  For each and everyone of you seeking to perform a smart lipo or liposuction procedure please be aware.  It is life-changing.

My doctor's motto was "Change your body, change your life!" Boy was he right.  This changed not only the areas treated but the surrounding areas and the overall contour of my entire body. One would think that you couldn't lose your hips or curves but I did.  One would only think that if you gained weight weight would surface in other areas or in new areas.  Not true.  When an overaggressive surgery takes place almost instantly change takes place.  Not only do I have baggy skin now.  Tons of peaks and valleys all over the front side and back of the legs.  I have a fat abdomen.  I loved my abdomen and I loved the back side of me.  Now that the outer thigh is gone and lipo has given me straight leg without curves and disrupted the tissue. I have cellulite everywhere. I have baggy really old looking skin and I look like a man.

Please hear me.  If you do choose this and it turns out wrong you will never forgive yourself.  EVER.  So many things that I had no idea about.  Once this is done you are left with the result and will have to process all of the issues that follow.  The biggest one?? That you actually sought out to do this and that the whole world will now be able to see what you did. When it is a self-inflicted deformity it is a lot to swallow. It is one thing to be mangled in a car wreck.  You can learn to cope with that.  But the other? Because you didn't like yourself enough and wanted plastic surgery.   Not so easy.  When I say deformed.  I really mean deformed.  Not slightly irregular.  Please take considerable time before doing this to yourself.  I wish that I would have researched more than just a people magazine article before doing this.  I would have a completely different life if I had.  Best of luck to each and every one of you who is happy with the result. Sad and disappointed and regret the result and those of you who should run as fast as you can. LIterally, before choosing this particuliar cosmetic surgery procedure.

Natalie

Thank you for sharing your insightful experience. I'm sorry to hear that you regret liposuction too. It's very traumatic and disappointing. Only wished I knew better before I had lipo myself. I hope that your review and my review could prevent unnecessary liposuction from happening to other people... Liposuction is very unhealthy/unnatural-- and somewhat barbaric. I'm almost 2 months post-op but I regret having it done. By the way, ndmoreno, you DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT look like a man. My skin after liposuction is similar to yours and I'm only 20 years old (21 in March 2011). Anyways I really hope that our reviews will help people think twice before getting lipo. Exercise and a healthy diet is the only permanent/safe solution to get in shape-- it's way healthier too.
Thank you for your story! Wish I would have read this before doing my surgery as well. I wish I would have loved myself enough to have never considered this procedure. I am also worse off like you and am having weight issues in areas that I have never had. I used to wear skirts and shorts and now barely want to leave my house not even in jeans. I hope that people will see stories like yours and really take to heart what you said and went through. I know I wish I can change time and go back because I am so much worse off now. Now it is a matter of being happy with the new me for years to come :( Good luck and know there are other people suffering just like you.
Dear Natalie I just read your review after posting one of my own. I wish I had read it before having Smart Lipo. I have had some similar results, notably, two huge dents in my thighs that were never there before. I am going to get some second opinions about corrective surgery, but I believe he just took a 'sh#$'load of fat that he shouldn't have- being a supposed professional. I concur with your sentiments on body image and being happy with yourself, as this is not worth it. I really hope you get some restitution and a positive outcome. Rebecca

Hi Everyone, Okay so I am still trying to...

Hi Everyone,

Okay so I am still trying to correct Liposuction dimpling, loose skin and severe peaks and valleys from my surgery. Really pictures do not show how I am today. But, with that said, I have tried Macrolane for body filler. It corrects the loose skin issue for sure. While i still have the lumpiness it filled out the contour irregularity quite a bit. My doctor is Dr. Juan Carlos Fuentes, he is amazing. Cost varies on amount you need. I would give this procedure a thumbs up. While temporary but way longer results than sculptra (12-15 months supposedly) vs a few months with sculptra it is one that leads on the right track to becoming 'normal' appearance wise again. Please don't overwhelm my doctor as I know a bunch of us out there are forever botched from Smart lipo/liposuction etc. I do not work for Macrolane nor do I promote it. I am an honest girl who trusted my first doctor and cannot accept the condition that I was left in and am constantly in search of any and everything that could offer ANY improvement. Good luck Everyone. Please continue to post things that do and do not work. Together we can get to the other side of this.. oh, and my doctor is in Mexico, Tj but you fly into San Diego and his shuttle takes you to and from his office for procedure. There is a fee for shuttle for consultation though!!
Sincerely, Natalie

I am so sry yours turned out so badly :(
Thank you. Me too.
Hi Natalie,
I unfortunately have a bad outcome from my lipo procedure :-(.
Did you ever end up trying thermage? I am curious as to if it worked for you....

Http://www.dailymail.co...

Just another article that discusses exactly what happens after having liposuction.

Hi Natalie, I am 25 and I did the same thing to my self and it has affected me psychologically to an extent that i cry myself to sleep every night. I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. i really don't know what to do
Hello you - Shoot. I am so sorry to hear this. So hard to know that another person has to feel this way. I know that things seem really down and dark right now. I get it. I really, really do. I believe that in the near future that there will be things to sort of 'undo' this mess. We just have to stay positive and keep moving forward. I see that you are young and in your prime of life. There will be a better future out there for us. It is just going to take some time. ((((( Hugs ))))))) I am here for you. Natalie
So sorry, wishineverdoneit... I had smart lipo on my stomach and flanks and it has changed me completely. Every bit of confidence I had is gone. My stomach looks awful and when I get undressed, I make a point to not look in the mirror. I've been put on antidepressants and wish everyday that I hadn't done it. Hugs to you too.

Just another article that states what happens to our bodies.

Taken from an article, Love your Body
Weight gain after liposuction is a common concern. Women who have liposuction to reduce tummy fat do not actually decrease their total body fat, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology by researcher in San Paulo, Brazil.
According to our principle of the “Fat Thermostat”, our total body fat is directly related to hormone levels, dietary choices, and physical activity. Removing fat with liposuction without changing any of the above factors will cause your body to compensate for the fat loss by increasing fat in other areas, as the body attempts to maintain the “status quo” of its total percentage of body fat. We have seen this process take place in the case of women who undergo large volume liposuction in the lower body and then experience weight gain after liposuction. These patients experience a significant increase of fat distribution in the upper body and arms. In some situations, the increase of fat content in the upper body is present even if the patient’s weight is the same as before the procedure: in reality their bodies respond to a decrease in fat content in a particular area due to the liposuction treatment by increasing the fat volume in other parts of the body, again to maintain constant a certain percentage of total body fat . This finding prompted the definition of the Fat Thermostat as a real entity that affects the lives and shapes of many individuals around the world and explains weight gain after liposuction.
Consider the fat tissue in our bodies as the “storage unit” for the rest of the body in terms of useable reserve energy. Since fat is a highly efficient way to store large amount of energy, the fat tissue represents a vital portion of the balance between energy (or food) introduced, and energy (or food) used for work. This storage function is distributed in different parts of the body creating what could be referred to as a series of “food pantries”. When we “buy” (i.e. eat) food, the energy in excess of what is needed for immediate use is stored in these “pantries” according to a genetically determined proportion. Women who tend to store more fat in the lower body will have a more “pear” shape, for instance.
When we reduce the “storage capacity” of a given “pantry” by reducing its size (with liposuction) but continue to “buy” the same amount of food (i.e. to eat the same number of calories) then those calories will be stored in the remaining storage units or pantries that are still available. This process will result in a compensatory increase in the size of the remaining pantries.
The researchers in Brazil determined that women who underwent liposuction experienced an increase in what is called “visceral fat”, the kind of fat tissue stored in the deepest areas around the internal organs. The increase in volume of the visceral fat “pantry” is compensating for the decreased storage ability in the areas that have been treated with liposuction.
Today fat tissue has become more and more important in the study of regenerative medicine, and its role as a hormone producing powerhouse has been proven to affect the balance of health. Where Doctors previously viewed fat as a passive, negative organ, and blamed fat for all sorts of diseases, today science views fat tissue as a vital, fundamental organ essential in the maintenance of health, well-being and youth. The Fat Thermostat principle gives us a new understanding of the balance between excessive fat deposits and body shape for long term body contouring results.

Im completely miserable to what happened to me, I didnt ask for any of the areas that are giving me problems. For some reason I think I was a test subject as well :( When I saw Tara Reid pictures I always thought oh no I would never do those areas. I only read about upper back and arm lipo and I thought I could handle those risks. But never in a million years did I think this "dr" would touch me in places he shouldnt have, in a sense I feel raped, violated, i am so traumatized by this now
im sorry for your experience i have just had my love handles done and my tummy will be soon to follow. i have learnt that i have to completely change ,my lifestyle and need to work out at least 3 times a week and eat healthy or i will gain weight else where. it is difficult and i am surprised your doctor did not explain this to you. and it should be his responsibility to fix your thighs if you followed the post op instructions correctly.
Dr. Keller

Too many things went wrong. 2 other people also chose this doctor and came out with the same results. poor.