Smart Lipo Pain/swelling/bruising

I had smart lipo done on my inner/outer thighs 4...

I had smart lipo done on my inner/outer thighs 4 days ago.  I am in good shape for the most part, I exercise but I have the saddle bags that I could not get rid of no matter what I tried.  My procedure was done under local anasthetic and pills given to me.  It lasted between 2-2 1/2 hrs.  I did feel some pain toward the end.

I have a high tolerance for pain but have to admit, the first 2 days  is a cross between getting beaten up and an intense workout on body muscles never used before (where you cant walk).  I have bruising and swelling on my legs which kills especially when sitting on toilet. I put ice packs on which helps. I also have some numbness (pins and needle feeling)

The compression garment is extremely tight, I have gotten marks from it on my skin, I am now wearing tight panty hose under the garment which is helping.  The garment needs to be worn all the time otherwise the swelling gets worse my doctor informed me.

I have read that some women go right back to activities/work. There is no way (not me)  The first 2 days I laid around alot. I am just getting around my house taking care of my kids now.

I dont know what will happen in the days and weeks to come but I am confident and looking forward to "Great Legs" for the summer!

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

My doctor is a plastic surgeon which came highly recommended. He was extremely patient and thorough with all my questions and concerns.

Hi all: Any advice i had my abodomen done six days ago and am swollen like a balloon. Doc says it's normal and since i was small to start there was more tigtening than removing of fat done.... My question is: How long does one remain ballooned???? and swollen????
i have to agree with you there, i have been working out so much same reasoning(spent the money). i am still a little numb in areas and have the scraping feeling inside my legs does anyone else feel that?
yay!!! i'm so happy for you! from what i've read, some people just take a lil' longer to heal and see results. congrats...just can't wait to see pics.
Just wanted to send an update. I am 9 weeks in and starting to see some changes. They are most evident in the morning. I think the best part of this procedure is it has motivated me to work out harder and eat healthier. After paying so much money I want to try my best to maximize me results. I will post pics as soon s I see my doctor. Hope everyone is well!
Thank you for your feedback mcdor7. I feel better today (Day #3 post op) days after). I am massaging the area a little bit and while it hurts, it actually feels better later on in the day. I am trying to stay active, doing some light walking, running errands etc. It's so beautiful outside, I can't stay in all day.
hi! It depends on your body when you will notice anything.I would say about the 3-4 week. My swelling and bruises lasted awhile. I am about 5 weeks post and I see more of a diff. but I still have numbness and that scraped on the concrete feeling in certain areas. And yes I hear the knees are the most painful area. I didnt get mine done but some of the affects went down to my right knee so I could just imagine how you must feel.
Hi guys! I got my outer thighs done on Tuesday and my inner thighs and knees done today. Boy am I in pain! I am really bruised and swollen. I am on day 3 of recovery on my outter thighs. They are feeling a bit better but the knees are KILLING me. I definetly don't see a difference in the saddle bag area yet. It looks the same as before, but I am hopeful it will look better. The doc took 650ccs total from my outter thighs. can anyone tell me, when I can expect to see a difference? Thank you all for sharing your stories, this site is really helpful!

i am 3 weeks in for full abd and back with bra roll--everything has been good but i do have a new pain in the lower moslty left side that burns and feels like a stab or something when i turn the wrong way, especially if there is not enough pressure, the garment actually feels good--as long as the part goes away and the swelling it would be a good experience. mine hurt some during. surprised no one else complained about that -hmmm??

Hello Maple: I am sorry it has been this hard but I am glad I am not alone. I had the saddlebags and banana doine on 3/24 and has to go back to reopen incisions and drain on one leg because I developed Seroma. Today is 2 weeks later and Im still in pain and swollen and deformed. The Doctor is awesome and the procedure was excellent. I guess our bodies are not liking this smart lipo thing. I heard that if you have good muscle tone its worse so all my years of weight training and staying in great shape was not good for this procedure. I too hope the results are worth it. Im supposed to have th inner thighs done too but now Im scared.
hi adri i am sorry to hear about having to go back in. i am just about 3 weeks and i too am still in pain, bruised and a little swollen. lol to the good muscle tone, i was big exerciser too maybe that is our downfall. i had outer and inner thighs done, i am just startin to see slight results. my dr is also awesome and he seems pleased and unconcerned so that makes me feel better. maybe you can do the inner thighs when they go in to reopen, i would want it all together. and nina, as for the burn and pinch, stabby feeling, sharp twinge i do get that, i think its healing, try to lubricate it, with a thick cream, it seems to help me
Hi mcdor7, Amy's pics are posted on her review. Here's a link: Smart lipo on saddlebags....piece o' cake!!! :0)

McDor7,I know it can be kind of frustrating waiting until you are completely yourself again, able to run around and do all the things you normally would without the swelling consequences. But, just try to keep in mind that even SmartLipo is still an invasive proceduure...regardless of what the hype says. And as such, your body will take a while to be able to recover from it. Just try to take this time to focus on eating well and taking care of yourself, and you'll have great results and running legs before you know it! :) Take care, and post some pics as soon as you get a chance, k?

hey maple, find out which procedure you are getting if its just smart lipo or with aspiration with sucks out the fat also,(more like lipo) i went to dr today each week getting better, he says they look great, healing beautiful, so that makes me feel better but if u saw them i dont think so. lol i dont have pictures though but anything you want to know let me know
amy, dont know where ur pics are posted, and i have been using ice packs also.glad to hear you are doing good. god bless you!
how are you doing? i finally got my pics and experience to post. i hope your recovery is improving. are you drinking lots of water? yes...i agree w/ maple. elevate your legs whenever possible. also, my doc recommended hot or cold paks if needed. thankfully, i haven't had any pain besides the expected tenderness. hope to hear from you soon. i'll send up a prayer for you. gentle hugz, amy
Hey there, mcdor7, From what I've heard, since swelling tends to be really affected by the pull of gravity, that's why the swelling and related pain is probably lower down on your legs now. Try to stay off your legs as much as possible, and even elevate them whenever you can at home, to help alleviate the pressure from the swelling. I hope you are doing well!
hi maple! thank you for your response and concern. i have been off as much as possible. Its a day to day process. I just want to be back running around,i guess i wasnt expecting this much down time. i thought it was a quick weekend thing.
thanks so much for checking in on me. i am doing great! the procedure was a piece of cake...i don't even remember a lot of it. i hardly had any drainage. my outer legs are tender but not too bruised. i can tell a difference in my shape already (even with the swelling). i'm trying to post my experience and before and after pics, but it hasn't showed up on the site yet. does it take a few days? what is your update? are your legs looking better? can't wait to hear from you again.
hi amy joy, glad to hear you are doing great and everything went well. i had a couple of sporadic good days but i have to tell you i am in alot of pain. i seem to be swelling more down the leg not even close to the incisions.
I had smart lipo on my under arms 2 days ago. Everything went find. The first day there was a lot of leaking and I had to change my dressings a few times. There is less leakage now, but I feel all of this liquid inside my arms moving around. Where is all of that liquid going to go and how long does it take and WHAT IS IT?
Hi Amy! I am on day 6 now, gettin better each day. The most pain is actually due to the swelling and bruising. It is an achey, burning, numb feeling. The procedure punctures itself are minimal.The oozing was just first 24 hrs tops.I cant see any difference yet, they actually look worse but I hear thats normal. Good Luck to you and keep in touch.
i'm having my saddlebags done on thursday. so, is the bruising and swelling the worst part of it all? can you tell a difference yet? will you be posting pics? what is the discharge like...heavy light? has it stopped? i'm a lil' nervous, but excited about a thinner looking hip and thigh area. hope to hear from you soon....i'd really appreciate it.
was checking in to see how the procedure went and how you are doing?