BE CAREFUL - Not Worth It with Anyone but a Trained Liposuction Surgeon

This review is for anyone considering Smartlipo...

This review is for anyone considering Smartlipo.  I'm not anti-smartlipo, but this procedure is significantly misrepresented by Cynosure, the maker of the smartlipo machine and publisher of the brochures, along with many doctors who should NOT be anywhere near this device.  I'm one of the unlucky ones who got a quack in Batavia, New York that thinks he's an expert since he took the EIGHT HOUR COURSE that Cynosure gives and sends ANY DOCTOR, NOT MATTER WHAT THEIR FIELD, out to alter someone's body.

I'm also one of the lucky ones who lives near a doctor who's considered one of the best smartlipo surgeons in the east.  Yes, I SHOULD have gone to him first, but he's already fixed three others from the quack I went to and has assured me that I can be "fixed".  I'll have to go one more summer without feeling good about my legs, but I won't have to worry about it for next year.  I won't bore you with the details of my procedure, but below is a list of things that you might want to know before you go out to talk to a doctor about having this done.   I'm going to speak to having legs done.

1.  Smartlipo is NOT a lunchtime procedure.  It is liposuction surgery with a laser.  A good surgeon will tell you that.  It is the next wave of liposuction and is quickly taking the place of the old method.  The laser does help in tightening the skin and the tumescent (wet) procedure reduces bruising, pain and swelling WHEN IT'S DONE PROPERLY.  You should have the maximum fluid used for your body weight and should not have more than 2-3 areas done at once.  Example:  inner thighs, anterior thighs and knees in one procedure, then outer thighs and abdomen or gluteal crease in the next procedure.  These should be done about 7 days to 1 month apart.   This is a health precaution as well as a results precaution.

2.  You will be home laying around the house for about three days and draining for about 24-72 hours and have to wear a compression garment for 2-6 weeks, depending on what you have done, for the best results.   Some people don't wear the garment, but I found it sped up the healing process, which is making it easier for me to get my corrective surgery done sooner.  You're going to be sore for about three months, gradually getting better the whole time, but still sore.  you'll have lumps and bumps in your legs for that long, too, again, gradually getting better.  You'll need to massage those areas and seriously look into Lymphatic Drainage Massage.  IT WORKS WONDERS.

3.  THE DOCTOR.  This is probably the most important advice I have for you.  Do not, do not, do not, go to a doctor that does not do this as his only line of business.  Do not use a pediatrician, a general doctor, an ear, nose and throat doctor - get my point??  Do not use any doctor that has added this to his practice and sandwiches your smartlipo inbetween allergy shots and annual physicals.  The only training required by law to do this is the EIGHT HOUR course that Cynosure gives after the doctor purchases the machine.  OH, I forgot, they offer two more eight hour courses for ADVANCED training.  Think about it - 24 hours of training lets any MD start to reshape your body with absolutely no previous cosmetic experience.  Don't do it.  Run away.  Fast.

4.  Do your research and make the commitment to yourself to get the very best.  Save your money, get the best deal on a credit card, make sure you have enough time off from work.  You're worth it.  I am planning my time off, how much it will cost me for gas and hotel (My "Good" doctor is two hours away) and what I'll use for time off at work.  I should have done this the first time, but again, I'm very lucky to be able to do it right the second time.  This is something I've wanted for about 10 years and I'm not going to screw it up again.

5.  Once you've got your resources together, only look at board certified plastic surgeons, OR, doctors who have proven skills and track records IN THE AREAS YOU WANT TREATED.  This is a wonderful website, and it probably saved me from going back to the quack and letting him try to fix me (he told me could, but I got a full refund instead) but I would direct you to liposuction.com.  It's a great place to gather all the info you'll need to be well informed about your procedure and what can and can't be done.  There's also a great page with a list of questions to ask the doctors - you will want to interview at least two, if not three - that you're considering using.

6.  The most important questions you can ask are, "How long have you been doing this procedure on the areas I want treated and how many have you done?", "How do you determine where to sculpt and contour?" and lastly, "Can I have three references that I can call that have had the same areas done?".  Don't gloss over any answers that you're not totally comfortable with, and if they cannot give you three references, thank them and never call them back.  Any doctor who is good at this will have several happy customers who would love to tell you how happy they are.

7.  Be an active particpant in the procedure.  Let the doctor know excactly what you want and don't let him say "I know what to do" before you lay on that table.  If he gives you a hard time, say thank you, get up, get dressed and get out.  It's your body.

I hope this helps someone.  Again,  I'm not anti-smartlipo, but I've learned a very valuable lesson about cosmetic surgery and the makers of the machines that assist with it.  I'm looking forward to my next surgery and am thanking God that I'm able to come out of this OK.  I'd love to hear from others.  Also, I'd like to thank Julie7 on this site.  Her comments and review along with all those who wrote in helped me get to this point tonight.

UPDATE  - AUGUST 7th - Something else that's...

UPDATE  - AUGUST 7th - Something else that's very important for everyone considering smartlipo to know - Even those who get happy with the procedure are not completely happy with their first results, no matter how good the doctor is.  This is not bad, just honest.  It appears that a few bumps and lumps will show up during recovery and they'll need to be fixed.  Almost every post here gives credit to that.

A good doctor will tell you that you will probably need a touch-up, or even two, due to the fact that while he/she will do their best, you will have a lot of fluid in your legs/stomach/whereever and it is almost impossible to get a 100% smooth result the first time.

NOW - this is different from having major issues, such as mine for example.  I consider 12-inch ridges down the front of both my thighs and sharp indentations at the top of both NOT to be touch-ups, but screw-ups.  If I did not have those, the small lumps in the other areas might have been acceptable, but I believe all touch-ups should be minor.  Contouring and blending are not negotiable.

Dr. Idrees, Batavia, NY

What was the name of the Dr that fixed you? I live in wny
I have a friend that had this procedure done on her stomach and love handles, it's only been a couple of days since she had it done yet she gave me great feedback about her procedure. So I decided to do some research of my own and came upon this website, even though the comments have been about 2-3 years ago, they started to give me second thoughts. However, I was wondering if you or anyone have any recommendations regarding a doctor in the DC, Maryland, or Virginia area? In the name of jesus if i decied to do th is procedure I DON'T WANT TO MEET A DR.QUACK
Thank you a million for this. I am looking into this and probably would have fallen for the Houston docs that someone highly discouraged. Does anyone have a recommendation for a doc in Texas?Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin...not scared to travel just want the best. How much should you expect to pay for this?
As a plastic surgeon in practice for 26 years(doing lipo since it was introduced to this country in the early 80's),I can only reiterate what has already been said.Find a surgeon who is experienced in liposuction,not any MD or DO who took a weekend course,and now has a certificate and is an expert.This holds true for any procedure. I recently saw an ad for a weekend course in breast augmentation,being taught by a "cosmetic gynecologist".We even have dermatologists performing breast augmentations here in Houston!
Bowling Babe -- can you please email me the name of Doctor F and how to contact him?
Are you from the Atlanta area?
I just had SmartLipo done on 3-16-10 on my lower abs and flanks. I went in at 8:30 for my procedure and did not leave the doctor's office until 6:00.Unfortunately my blood pressure dropped dramatically due to having taken fish oil supplement(thins blood) for a year prior and only stopped taking them 1 week before the SmartLipo. My doctor said he had to get my BP back up before he could put the compression garments on which was 3 hours after the procedure was finished. Usually this is done within 15-20 minutes after the procedure. Since there was such a long delay in getting the compression garments on, I have had a tremendous amount of bruising and swelling almost immediately. The amount of drainage has also been unbelievable! I had put towels and trash bags everywhere I sit and totally drenched about a dozen towels in the first 24 hours.I also wore adult diapers with maxi pads at the same time. It has now been 6 days later and I have even more swelling, bruising, and pain but the drainage has finally stopped as of today. I am hopeful that all this will go away in the next few weeks and that I have not gone through all this pain and expense for nothing.
I absolutely love this website and I have to admit that this particular post has been very helpful to me. I read several comments before I realized the surgeon who just performed my smartlipo procedure is discussed. Thank you all for sharing your experience. Rejuvinate has recently come to Syracuse NY and Dr M is my surgeon. I plan to discuss a revision to my flanks at my follow up. I want to mention, however, I had atleast 8 consults before choosing Dr. M. I never got the impression she or any of the staff were trying to dig in my pockets. Dr. M was very honest in explaining to me that smartlipo was not the best idea for my stomach or arms. In Dr. M and Rejuvinate's defense I want to add that my experience with them has been great so far. I am only 3 1/2 weeks post op so I cant say for sure how I will feel in the end but I will keep posting. I am sorry to hear that your journey has been so complicated bowlingbabe and I hope you get the outcome you seek. You have educated me a lot through this post. Thank you and good luck!
thanks for the wonderful review and sorry to hear about your results. This has been a tremendeous help for me and to think about this procedure twice.
Hello - today is May 26 and I did a smart lipo yesterday here in Paris France. My doctor has been doing this for years now but here are a few things I felt important to know beforehand : 1/ This is surgery and it hurts after and I can move - but painfully. 2/ My doctor took a total of 3 hours to work on me - a lot! Make sure it is the only thing you have to do that day. 3/ After the smartlipo, he scraped - like liposuction - pulling any fat that was missed out - getting out more!...fascinating to see (yuck) 4/ If your doctor scrapes after the laser burning the fat, you'll probably hurt more and swelling will be more(wonderful) 2/ You have a ton of extra water in you due to the NaCl (salt water used as the support for the local anesthesia) 3/ No results before 8 weeks 4/ You have to wear special stockings (I have them on) - support hose specific for post-op Hopefully my inner thighs will be gorgeous!!! I did only inner thighs and knees - it is clearly enough in one session My session cost me 1000euros - 380 for the tube that they used (that is the price here in France) and the rest was doctor's fee...
ALERT – DON'T BE FOOLED BY NEW GENESIS SPA IN ROCHESTER, NY I received a letter from New Genesis Spa in Rochester, NY announcing their partnership with Dr. Jack Bertolino. They call him “the first physician in Western New York to offer SmartLipo and Vaser LipoSelection…”. That is a lie. Dr. Scharf (sp?) in Williamsville, NY has been offering SmartLipo since 2006. But more importantly, DR. BERTOLINO is NOT A PLASTIC SURGEON. Do not use this man. He is another general practitioner who purchased a smartlipo machine before Cynosure changed their guidelines to protect themselves. He has only been doing smartlipo since July of 2008. Stick to a trained, board certified plastic surgeon with several current references.
Omg.! Just read your post! Dr. Jack wants to do mine. Who do you recommend? Please respond asap!
I think the major point the author was trying to convey is go to a reputable doctor. I actually almost went to a doctor who owns a spa and did the “training” for Smartlipo. I must admit I am glad I didn’t even though he quoted me the best price ever! This post actually convinced me to go to a plastic surgeon. Thanks for sharing your story.
THINKING OF VISITING REJUVENATE MEDSPA IN UTICA? THINK AGAIN. They may have been good at one time, but it seems Dr. Fred’s shifted to creating his franchise and has the Big Picture squarely in his sights, where his attention to detail used to be. I am now out $4500. The Tag-Team approach used by Dr. Fred and Dr. Janet does not work. The leg Dr. Fred worked on is pretty good, but I won’t be using him again. The side that Dr. Janet did? I now have an indentation above my knee because she didn’t suction my anterior thigh. At my last follow-up I very forcefully pointed out the issues, and she said “We do so many, I can’t remember”. Well, you should remember since it’s obvious that my left front thigh wasn’t touched. And, that’s backed up by the two plastic surgeons I’ve seen here in my home town to finish the job and make the best of what I have left. Why won’t I go back, you ask? Because after my follow-up, the “money man”, Chris, came in to talk to me about pricing. And what a deal he offered me. “I can only do this once”. Wait ‘til you hear about this offer. To make up for Dr. Janet, the plastic surgeon NOT completing the job I paid for, they are arranging for the fantastic, low price of another $2300 to fix what should have been done already. I can’t believe my luck. I get to give them more money! You know, the stuff that Dr Fred told me is the only reason he started doing cosmetic procedures. Hey, I’m not stupid, most cosmetic procedures aren’t a humanitarian effort, but it’s obvious that as his dream of expansion has grown, his well touted attention to detail has slipped to second place. And by the way, his office staff isn’t all that nice any more. Ladies, another valuable lesson I’ve learned – No matter how nice the nurses, assistants and doctors are during your initial consultations, they are not our friends. They are salespeople. Salespeople are always nice. Until the sale is made. Then, they are polite but, well, you know. And when a product or service isn’t what they promised, it’s best to not have been too friendly – it can make being a bi—h a, well, bi—h, when you need to. Bottom line, Can’t recommend Rejuvenate MedSpa in Utica any more. Dr. Fred may be good, but he’s got the dollar signs in his eyes now and that “absolute perfection” his office staff kept gabbing about doesn’t apply anymore. I’m going with a 20-year plastic surgeon in Rochester and not looking back.
I have used Rejuvenate med Spa in Utica and I totally agree , Do NOT go there. They have the poorest concern for patients I have ever seen. Think twice before using this facility, go to a plastic surgeon that cares about your satisfication. These people are unprofessional and money hungry. Save yourself lots of money and go elsewhere for professional facility that stands behind the work they perform. I had mine done 2 months ago very unhappy with results and poor patient care. Interestingly ask them for references, see if they give you any, I doubt it. Because they treat all the patients same after the sale and it is just that a SALE. You mean nothing to them unless you are dipping deeper into your wallet. Please go to a plastic surgeon and request consultation for traditional liposuction or you may be a better candidate for a tummy tuck and you believe all Rejuvenate's lies about how great you will look when you should have opted for a tummy tuck. You will have spent just as much for this hideous procedure after they get done charging you for every mistake they make.
ALERT – Diane at Rejuvenate has accessed two patient credit card accounts without permission. She contacted me and another client, telling us that we needed to give her a deposit for an upcoming appointment and telling us our available balance on our cards – THIS IS ILLEGAL. It’s also a way to drum up business. A provider could, in theory, access available balances for all their customers and target those with large amounts available by calling them to try to sell procedures. Care Credit has been notified. For your information, a provider can only access your credit card info once per authorization by you, the card holder. It is illegal for someone to access your card again for any reason without your permission and you should report it to the card company immediately.
well my husband had his moobys (man boobs) and tummy done on nov. 4th. he was home and slept that whole day and the next day he was up and about and slept the last half of the day again getting tired easy. tomorrow nov. 11th he is going for his jowls and flanks hopefully both but if not definitely the flanks. i am going to try to attach some before and after pics. i wanted to get some pics of today cause today is the fist reeeeal noticeable day of his chest! i will get some more pics soon though but i guarantee you he IS seeing results with some soreness still like he did a hundred crunches. our dr., i say our dr. cause he is going to be doing my flanks, bra roll and jowls as well, is a wonderful guy. he is so personalbe, funny and very caring and attentitive as well. He uses the MPX one in only 3 Dr in Colorado who is using smart laser which allows it to melt More fat in a shorter amount of time for better results. At first he was going to use the traditional one for lack of a better word but then my husband had to wait cause of blood pressure problems and the Dr. said it would be good anyways cause then he can use the new MPX instead and it would be better results for him since he had a large area of fat to lipo. if anyone in colorado wants to know who our dr. is let me know. he is in boulder and he is worth every penny and pain. now if someone can tell me how to add photos i can show you my husbands!
Yes, some posters have posted pics. Go to the main page of Smart Lipo, where it says the 81% says Smart Lipo was worth it. Should be on the right hand side of the page. Then scroll down and go on to the next pages until you see little picture icons next to each post. Those are the ones that have pictures. Hope this helps.
today, i went to my appt with a harmonal specialist. this was set up about two months ago...even before my lipo. when the doc pushed on my stomach to lay me back on the table, he FREAKED! i told him by stomach was hard and swollen due to the vaser lipo. he asked lots of questions and then informed me that his close personal friend INVENTED the vaser lipo asd he was pretty sure that our complaints were NOT normal! i told him of the message board and that there were lots of us with the same outcome...he was apalled. he said he was going to speak to his friend and get some better details of the recovery process, but he was quick to assess that my dr didn't take enough out for a good result. he said he said that everything the boby has to re-absorb can settle anywhere thats convenient giving a less than great result. i called my lipo dr (who was more than slightly annoyed) and i will see her again nov 10th. i am supposed to ask specific questions and forward the pics to my hormonal specialist so he can advise. i will certainly keep you guys posted! one of these days., one of us are going to get a straight answer!!!
geez you are all scaring me! my hubby is going for his first smart lipo procedure EVER! the dr. even had his flanks done and showed us pic of before and after and some of the staff had it done too and they all looked great though through their clothes, not like they were going to strip down and show me/us but still i wondered what it looked like underneath and they were all skinny and young too. so my husband is having his moobys (man boobs) smart lipo'd and his tummy. his next procedure will be flanks and chin. he is so estasic and i am so excited for him too! hopefully he will have a positive experience! he is too excited that i cannot even tell him anything that anyone on here has said. did you ever think that those that have had great results have no need to be on a board complaining so we only hear the bad stuff and not the good stuff!
There are plenty of good result posters. Just read all the ones that say it was worth it. I had it done at the end of August on my upper and lower abs and I am pleased with my results. It does take some time for things to get back to looking normal but overall, my experince was a good one. My clothes look awesome and I can't wait till next summer to put on my bikini. Another friend of mine here in the Houston area had it done too by a different doctor and she is pleased with her results too. I feel bad for the people that are having a bad experiences.
whew! i was really getting scared cause his lipo date is tuesday! if his blood pressure holds out he will get it done, if it doesnt and mine holds out i will get it done, so hopefully one of will get it done! are there pictures on here that people can post or have posted? i would love to see some before and afters?
hi could you pm me the surgeon in houston thanks
It’s been about one month since my first corrective procedure. Now that I’ve had time to let most everything settle, I have a few more comments and I must amend my initial grade of A- to a B. Here’s why: It’s become evident that Dr. J and Dr. M didn’t match their work. My right thigh has improved nicely, although I will need some fat grafting and a little more contouring on the inside. The anterior looks pretty good, but will need a bit of work when I get my banana roll done. My left thigh is a disappointment. Dr. M did not touch my anterior thigh and it is obvious. Her contouring work on my inner thigh, knee area and outer thigh is a definite improvement over how the Quack left me and looks good, but I am once again unhappy when I look at my legs. During the procedure she and Dr. J discussed my anterior thighs (front) and she said she had not done it. He replied that he had and that she should. She said she’d take a little. I (once again) trusted the judgment of a professional and am regretting it. It can certainly be corrected, but it is frustrating when I paid for it and have been looking forward to more progress at this point. At my one-week follow up Dr. M was quite pleased, and I still agree with her assessment since I had come in with some real challenges for them. Considering what they had to work with I can say that they are competent and caring and I believe they can deliver a good final outcome, but it has become evident to me that no matter how good or gifted the doctor, we need to speak up and assertively get what we want and make it clear that we are in charge and we know what we want!!!! I will not ever make this mistake again. I have my six-week follow-up on November 10th, at which time I am going to make it clear exactly what I want done. I am going to push my agenda, telling them about some of the things I’ve read on this website that other doctors have done to enhance the procedure, and insist that we try them. For instance, many people in this category have told of their doctor using the laser again in all the areas that have been lipo’d after all the suction has been done. Those that tell about this have mentioned how smooth their legs are. Well, I’m going to get that done, too. No matter what. And I will speak up during the next procedure, from the marking of my legs to the last bandage, if I need to. I’ll let everyone know what happens at my next visit
I had mine done twice at the lifestyle center in clayton, mo. DO NOT DO IT!!!! No results and since I signed a note saying results were not guaranteed, they still want me to pay for it. I however, will not paid for services not given. The rep said I was the perfect fit for this procedure. She told me that I would obtain my goal of having a flat stomach. I now am in dispute with Care credit. If it comes to going to STL local press, I'll do it. I don't want someone else to go thru the pain, downtime and still no results.