Having Tremendous Difficulty with Smartlipo on Thighs

On July 11th I had smart lipo done on my inner...

On July 11th I had smart lipo done on my inner thighs/knees. The procedure took about 2.5 hours and was painful but bearable. I went home around noon and i had some drainage until about 9 p.m. that evening. I had moderate black and blue bruising the first day, but it had disappeared by the very next morning. It was replaced with redness - the kind of redness you get from being burned after falling asleep in the sun for 8 hours. The area is red, extremly hard - my thighs feel like a brick. In addition, the area has swollen up, but the majority of swelling has concentrated right around the knees. It makes it mega tough to bend my leg or have any movement. Walking, stairs, and shift of leg position ends up hurting a great deal. I can deal with the soarness, but the swelling and redness is really making me miserable. I have to walk in very slow motion and it's extremly painful. I went back to the Doc 5 days after my procedure and he wasn't sure what was going on. Because the area is so red, hard, and hot (you could fry a steak on my thigh right now), he thought it may have gotten infected. But there are no other signs of infection...I don't have a temperature or a fever. He gave me extra antibiotics to use in case of infection. He also told me to apply heat to the area whenever I could - like a heating pad or hot towel. I had been using ice since it was red and swollen, but he said to apply heat. I've been doing that and taking the extra antibiotics. He also gave me diuretics to reduce the swelling. Finally, he told me not to wear the compression garment anymore. While the compression garment is supposed to help, in my case, he thinks it hurt me. I'm pretty short and the garment was bunching up around my knees, which possibly cut off circulation and caused swelling. I've done everything that he recommended 3 days ago but I still have no relief. The pain, redness, swelling, and toughness of the area is no longer tolerable. It hurts really bad and not being able to walk or move has basically handicapped me. Has anyone experienced anything like this, or does anyone have any advice for me?

Hi, I am glad you are doing much better. I also considering SmartLipo. Now i am a little afraid i was wondering if you where able to provide with the doctor information, to make shore i dont fall in does hands. I will really apruciate,
Hi Annie - I read your post and I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience! Now that you're a year out what is your opinion - did it make a difference? Did the swelling ever go down totally? Do you have any pictures of the problem areas and final results?
hey i had the exact same thing happen to me ive been on lasix and aldactone for the swelling and its helped a lot i would also try arnica montana, im a nurse and im on my feet 12 hrs a night and i totally feel your pain.. keep sending out positive thoughts i know it can get hard
tobysmom -- I'm still stuck in the same place as my last post from 27 August. I don't think I ever had an infection, just massive amounts of swelling, and that swelling has decreased by 75 or 80% but that last small portion just won't seem to budge. The good news is that there is no longer any real discomfort or pain, but the bad news is that because of the swelling, my thighs look the same as they always did. I was so excited about the procedure and I had made follow up appointments to get other areas of my body done - but after the experience I had, I ended up cancelling my subsequent appointments. I was going to have my upper/lower stomach area done, but I won't even consider it now. I did have my upper arms done but I never posted anything about that. The pain, brusing, and swelling was significantly less with that procedure, most likely because it was a smaller area - but I haven't seen any amazing results that would trigger me to do this again. I don't want to talk anyone out of doing something that they have their heart set on, but I honestly can't recommend the procedure to anyone after the lack of results I have seen. Good luck with your decision. October 11th will be three month anniversary date, and I plan to post an update then. They say that you really have to be patient and wait for 3 months before you see any real results, so I'm waiting patiently and hope springs eternal. annie.
Annie, I have followed your experience and glad you are getting some relief. I am considering SmartLipo and wondering who you saw in Sterling. SmartLipo is just getting around to northern VA and its difficult to find someone very experienced. I'm not sure where to start. Hope all continues to improve for you. Editor note: You must be contacted privately to receive the doctor information you have requested. Other users may contact you by clicking on your username.
I'm doing about 75% better now but this was not an easy experience. Both thighs still have a strip of swelling in them and those areas feel as hard as bricks. The swelling just won't budge. I had this done on 11 July so it's been about 7 weeks now. The doc had me try several things (triactive laser/lymphatic drainage massage, heating pads, antibiotics, anti-inflamatories, keeping the legs hiked up above heart level for hours at a time, diuretics, etc). I think what helped the most was the anti-inglam's and the legs being hiked up. Once I started those two things, 75% of the swelling disappeared and all of the pain left. If this last 25% of swelling would budge, I'd be okay. The sad part is that even after all of this stress, pain, and money, my thighs aren't smaller. I don't know how that can be, I saw all the fat that was suctioned out - but my thighs remain the same size as when I started. Perhaps I won't be able to notice anything till the rest of the swelling stops. While I don't feel any pain anymore and I am able to walk again, having inner thighs that are hard as bricks is not really what I had envisioned. Thanks for all of your well wishes.
Hi Annie how are you doing now? It has been a few weeks since your last entry. Has the rest of the swelling gone down and are you seeing any improvement on your thighs? I sure do hope so.I was glad to read that most of the infection is gone. Thank for sharing your story with all of us. I am considering having my thighs done too but now I'm not so sure. let me know if you would recommend having it done thanks Chris
me too. you rnot alone. i had th epubic area done. i swelled up more then before and lost alot of skin leaving me with a whole there. after a second opion i was told it could be a burn from the laser or pressure necrossis. either way i may need reconstructive surgry or deal with the large scar. 3 weeks later my surgeon said the same thing that the garment was hurting me and not helping me. i still have th elarge whole and no skin yet and one side of the pubic area has gone down but not the side with the whole. i would never do this again. i cant walk sit or play with my kids. i woul have been much happier the way i was.
Hi Annie - I hope you're doing better. I'm sorry to hear about your recovery. I hope you're not in so much pain anymore. Is it possible that the laser was set too high that it burned your skin? Update us when you are able to.
WOW, this sounds scary what you are going through! I also had SL on the 17th, I also have been experiencing swelling and really bad bruising but nothing like what you have, mine is more like what you would expect after a procedure like this. You might want to get a second opinion, especially if your doc did not know what could be wrong!! Good Luck and keep us posted on your recovery!
Thanks AV. My next follow up is tomorrow morning at 0830 - I am really hoping for some answers. It has been 9 days since the procedure, and there has been no decrease in swelling, pain, redness or soarness - in fact, it seems to increase on a daily basis. The simple act of walking brings actual tears to my eye because it is extraordinarly painful. I'll post more when I know more. In the mean time, my best wishes are with you for a speedy recovery. Post pictures when you are able! Annie.
I see that you are in Sterling, VA. I am looking into this procedure and would like to know where NOT to go to. Can you tell me where you had this procedure done? Editor note: You must be contacted privately to receive the information you requested. This requires free registration for an account. When registering, you must opt-in to receive private messages (a check box).
Ditto for me jenny Big hips. I just saw a doctor today who said I was a candidate for this and was in Sterling! Will you let me know the doctor you are talking about? I am so curious.
AV sounds like you have a bad case of cellulitis, which is an infection that if not treated with proper antibiotics, can lead to abcesses or a blood infection. I dont know which antibiotics he gave you but if he did choose the right kind to cover these pathogens, they might be resistant. You may need a different antibiotic or even IV antibiotics.
Hi! Have you had any luck finding a SmartLipo Dr. in NOVA? I am just starting to look but most have had the equip. less than 6 months. Thanks!