Smart Lipo Burns!

I'm in my 60's and had wanted Smart Lipo...

I'm in my 60's and had wanted Smart Lipo to give my face some definition. I developed jowls, and a sagging neckline.

I had smart lipo done in dec., 07, locally. The area underneath my chin is scarred badly and permanently due to a bad burn mistake early in the procedure. the doctor didn't make me aware of what had happened until after he was finished and had to show me my image in a handheld mirror! I was horrified!

I must stress here that it's imperative to get yourself an experienced doctor. I'm now going to a dermatologist to get rid of the scar, and the doctor who is responsible for it wrote and said that he wants to see the "progress" that my neck has made.

He obviously flunked Smart Lipo, in my opinion.

i talked to him heart to heart on tuesday and he said if I get a scar (and he says he doesnt think i will) but if i do get a scar he will take care of it at no charge. He has been my surgeon for 2 years already ,he looked me in the eyes and I kinda believed him. So I feel better. As of the burn, it looks ugly as hell, its now covered only with the silverdyne ointment and a big bandaid, no need to use the head wrap anymore. it seems to be getting a big smaller and pinkish in the corners. there is a deep area that the Dr says it might be the one that give us problem but again he said if it scars, he will remove it and fix it. The tummy tuck he said he is very happy about, drains are all gone and staples, only have the little tapes and it looks dry. Water retention still a lot, he gave me 5 days of waterpills to help with that but I lost 10 pounds of liquid already. Still don't fit on my regular jeans...frustrating! Im using the garment and he says I will for at least 2 month more. My new belly button looks pretty, clean and dry. I know I could sue or ask for my money back or whatever but I'm a sucker for that Dr...he is just a warm nice dude. So I'm hoping for the best, taking deep breaths and trusting that if i really need fixing, he will come true. Its been exactly 15 days from my surgery. Thanks for your comments and wish you the best. Fingers crossed!
To lobaluz. Sound like you are one of the lucky ones. I would make the doctor take care of all of your medical bills to cover your burn. You will need antibiotics & you will need ointments. After it heals you will need IPL treatments to take out the purple color. It is under you chin, so it will not be that visable. If it is worse than what you have explained....GO NOW TO SEE A PLASTIC SURGEON. HE WILL TELL YOU IT WILL HAVE TO HEAL FOR 6-12 MONTHS. You have to sue within 6months to 2 years.
i had smart lipo and tummytuck 2 weeks ago, the tummytuck so far so good, I'm retaining tons and liquid and i'm 20 pounds heavier than when i started but havent seen anything that scares me to badly. my smartlipo on the chin was a mess. I have a 2x2 burned patch taht is painful, really red and definitely will leave a mark. The nurse told me that the dr made a mistake and burned me during the procedure on his attempt to have my neck skin at tight as possible. I don't know what to do. This Dr is not new to me, he did my gastric bypass 2 years ago, he also took my gallbladder a few months later. He is a very nice person, I have folllow up appoitment tomorrow with him. What should I expect? I know its burn, I know it will need more attention? what should I do? Im sorry i jumped in on this discussion, I stay up all night looking for smart lipo burns and trying to figure out where to do from here, and I found this discussion going. Should I ask for my money back, I paid 11K cash, 9.5K for the tummy, 1.5 for the chin tuck. The procedure was in his clinic but he also had to sent me to ER for overnight cause my blood pressure went really low and I bleed more than he expected. I have no idea yet if the insurance is going to cover for the ER overnighter. Anybody can tell me what should I do? I'm so tired of thinking the worse outcome...
how long has your burn on your neck been healing and how is it healing? My neck burn just gets a scab over it an never gets smaller. I, too, look at it constantly waiting for improvment. It has been three weeks and I'm so frustrated. It looks horrible even with tons of makeup covering it.
I will need to get the scar from the plastic surgery looked at also, I lost so much skin from the smart lipo it caused a constricture, I couldn't move my head all the way up, I still have problem even after the plastic surgery, she never even said she was sorry. Thanks PA mama .Yes, I agree, the track record would have to be 100%
You should have sued and still should!!! You'v got two years. I didn't sue because my doctor assured me he you make it right. He treated me in his office for up to two years. Then gave me 10K towards a 20K surgery. I will need at least another 20k in surgeries and fat grafts to even look normal again. Now he's gone from Katy, TX.
I was burned badly, on the neck also, went all the way down to muscle tissue, I had to plastic surgery to get a blood supply back to the area that was burned, I will always have a horrible scar there, the very least the doctor could have done was give me my money back, I had to pay for the plastic surgery myself. I wouldn't recommend this at all.
I totally agree with you, buckeyebean ... except if you can find a doctor with a great track record for doing this procedure.
I didn't talk to the doctor who burned me, but I do think that he was sorry ... and possibly afraid that I might sue him. I really don't know. Now, I know enough to investigate a physician first, although I doubt that I will ever have a procedure like this one again.
My dermatologist is using a very new laser on it. It has definitely reduced the size enough that the next step will be to have a plastic surgeon cut it out. The same dermatologist will then use a laser on the cut to prevent a scar from appearing. The doctor responsible for the burn in the first place has refunded the entire cost of my smart lipo, and again apologized. I think it's strange that he did this after I posted on this site, but I'm grateful for the money. It will help cover the expense of correcting the burn. Good luck to you!
How did you get your doctor to refund the money? I was burned on my inner thigh and he did not even tell me. When I went for my follow up appointment he wasn't there...how convienent. The nurse gave me wrong instruction on how to deal with the burn, thankfully I had enough sense to go back to see him and he gave me different instructions on how to deal with it. I am three weeks out and I know there is going to be a nice scar, but I am not sure what to do. I don't see him for another two weeks for my follow up. I am glad your money was refunded, but I am so sorry it was on your face, that might have been horrible. Good luck with correcting your burn.
Please share with me the name of the new laser your dermatologist is using. I had one scare cut out on my face. Undergoing steroid shots to smooth out the scare tissue inside my face. Plus, I've got 4 burns on my jaw line which I'm hoping your new laser might help smooth those out. I've also had plastic surgery to help pull out the wavy looking skin and a fat graft. I'll have to have another one of those and perhaps another surgerical readjustment. This is a horrible pocedure.
What are they saying they can do to fix your burn? I have 2 almost 3 degree burns from lipo, its been a month and its gone down but still hurts and I hate the fact of even going back to that doctor... What did they do for you? help!!!
I was burned on my face by a doctor in Katy TX. How about you? It has been 2 1/2 years of treatment and recontructive surgery. You have to heal at least 6 months before you can undergo IPL treatments to take out the discolorization. Then if you have internal scare tissue you'll have to undergo steriod shots to smooth it out. Then if you are left with a big hole, you'll have to have up to 3 fat grafts. One a year! Isn't that fun??? It will take me up to 5 1/2 years to recover. I sure wish I'd have sued. This doctor assured me he'd make this right. Now he closed up his spa, and he hasn't contacted me. I am left to look at the horror every morning when I wake up.