My Sleeve Gastrectomy Was Well Worth the Money Invested - Bloomfield Hills

Had weight loss surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) to...

Had weight loss surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) to try and regain my health. I was suffering from hypertension,and obstructive sleep apnea. Both of these conditions have drastically improved, and expect them to be completely reversed when I reach goal weight in the coming weeks.

I had done alot of research into weight loss surgeries, but could not resolve myself to have either lap band, or a roux n y. With the sleeve gastrectomy, you have no mal absorbtion, or dumping syndrome, or any restrictions of what foods or medications you may eat. Your portions are, of course severely limited, but this is something that I have prayed for for years, and the surgery is literally an answer to my prayers. The surgery is laparoscopic, and after the initial pain control meds in the recovery room when waking from surgery, I did not have any operative pain. Never needed the pain meds that the doctor prescribed for me. The most painful part is trying to swallow liquids the first few days to weeks following surgery. This is due to the swelling and healing of the stomach. You just have to sip slowly and patiently. My weight loss has proven slow but steady, and I have felt better and better as the weeks progressed. I am now at 6 months post op and have lost 63 lb, with 7 lb left to goal weight.

After reaching my goal weight, I am now off of...

After reaching my goal weight, I am now off of prescription medications for blood pressure, and am no longer plagued by sleep apnea. I have no trouble with gastro esophageal relux now either.

I still have excellent restriction, and am one year post VSG. I am still loving my sleeve, and Dr. P.

Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Excellent physician. I needed no pain meds following surgery, and had no drains. Have had excellent wt loss results. Also has excellent staff support.

@Carol55, Can you explain what the 32 fr bougie is exactly, I assume it has to do with the size of the sleeve? Do you know what most bariatric doctors use? Thanks, Amy

yes, a 32 bougie is like a long tube that extends through the stomach from the esophagus to the duodenum. This keeps the stomach (sleeve) open to that size while the stapler places 3 rows of staples, and cuts between the second and third row, thereby sealing the remainder of the stomach for intact removal, and leaving 2 rows of staples along the edge of the sleeve so that it won't leak. It is my feeling and opinion 3+ years post op from the sleeve that the best surgeons, and best results come from using this size "spacer" (bougie) There is a terrific video on Dr Pleatmans web page showing the actual surgery. This was vital to me in my understanding of the procedure, and I am sure I would not have done the surgery if not for the video of it. I needed to know exactly what they were going to do. I am always withing 2-3 lb of my goal weight now, and feel great. I do not have sleep apnea any more, and do not have to take any medications now. No more high blood pressure...... No more snoring. Wearing size 6 or 8s depending on the cut and so forth. Very active outside in my garden this spring. Soooooo glad I had it done. I work in the ER now, and see some heartbreaking things. A 47 y o person who was morbidly obese came in yesterday, and depite all the efforts of the staff, died due to complications and the comorbidities that come along with being so large. True story, but cannot give any detail, due to the confidential nature of each persons medical information. There but for the grace of God, go I. Wishing you all the best in your search. I am happy with my sleeve. Carol

It only took about a month from initial email to dr pleaman, to my surgery date. I spoke with his office staff after first communicating by email with Dr. Pleatman, the staff sent me the information that I needed, and everything went pretty smoothly from there. My husband and I had to arrange for the week off of work to go and stay in Bloomfield Hills for the week that is required to be in the area, then scheduled that surgery.
I really liked Dr. Pleatman for a lot of reasons. He is a very good surgeon, and is very experienced, and because he learned the procedure at the SFLap (San Fransisco Laparoscopic wt loss surgery group from Dr. Cirangle and Jossart. He uses the 32 fr bougie, and to me that was the most important thing. I have spent my whole life losing weight and regaining it. I certainly did not want to worry about regain after the sleeve surgery. I don't worry about regain because I have a small enough sleeve. Alot of surgeons don't use the 32 fr, and I have read alot of posts by people with larger sleeves that cannot continue to control their weight after their initial surgical recovery. Regain of the weight seems so tragic after going through everything we have gone through.
I am so thankful for my sleeve. I weigh 118-119 lb now, and am 5 ft 3. I wear size 6-8 clothes, and feel much more energetic that I ever thought possible. I work out in my garden several times a week, and am so happy to be able to do it.
This has been an answer to prayer for me, and I am very thankful for Dr.Pleatman.
Best of luck as you go forward, and let me know if you have any other questions.
I thought I had answered your post earlier, but it must have gotten lost somewhere is cyber space. Sorry for the delay in answering. I worked a 12 hr shift today.
Carol
I am thinking about using Dr. Pleatman. Did you really like him? With self pay, how long did it take you from start to surgery day?
Thanks
Congratulations! Your story sounds amazing. I am going to get the vertical sleeve surgery on Friday and I am super nervous. Thank you for posting your story. I hope to be a success story one day.

I'm so glad you're reaping the benefits Carol. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the update, Carol. Glad to hear you're doing well and a belated congrats on your weight loss!

You're looking great and doing really well. Keep it up! Your review will be a huge help to other RealSelf community members.

Thanks so much for sharing and including pics.  Very helpful to others considering this procedure