My Sleeve Gastrectomy Was Well Worth the Money Invested - Bloomfield Hills

Had weight loss surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) to...

Had weight loss surgery (sleeve gastrectomy) to try and regain my health. I was suffering from hypertension,and obstructive sleep apnea. Both of these conditions have drastically improved, and expect them to be completely reversed when I reach goal weight in the coming weeks.

I had done alot of research into weight loss surgeries, but could not resolve myself to have either lap band, or a roux n y. With the sleeve gastrectomy, you have no mal absorbtion, or dumping syndrome, or any restrictions of what foods or medications you may eat. Your portions are, of course severely limited, but this is something that I have prayed for for years, and the surgery is literally an answer to my prayers. The surgery is laparoscopic, and after the initial pain control meds in the recovery room when waking from surgery, I did not have any operative pain. Never needed the pain meds that the doctor prescribed for me. The most painful part is trying to swallow liquids the first few days to weeks following surgery. This is due to the swelling and healing of the stomach. You just have to sip slowly and patiently. My weight loss has proven slow but steady, and I have felt better and better as the weeks progressed. I am now at 6 months post op and have lost 63 lb, with 7 lb left to goal weight.

You're looking great and doing really well. Keep it up! Your review will be a huge help to other RealSelf community members.

Thanks so much for sharing and including pics.  Very helpful to others considering this procedure

After reaching my goal weight, I am now off of...

After reaching my goal weight, I am now off of prescription medications for blood pressure, and am no longer plagued by sleep apnea. I have no trouble with gastro esophageal relux now either.

I still have excellent restriction, and am one year post VSG. I am still loving my sleeve, and Dr. P.

Carol55 - enjoyed your story thank you, all sounds positive as I head toward my sleeve surgery date of October 24th, hope you get those last few pounds off but did you ever imagine you'd be worried about losing that silly little amount?
Hi carol55 I have my first appt at Beaumont hospital in Royal oak Mi on Monday for the start of my journey.. Where does Dr. Pleatman preform his surgery? Is he at a specific hospital?..sounds like you really like him! Thx Marie2222
@Carol55, Can you explain what the 32 fr bougie is exactly, I assume it has to do with the size of the sleeve? Do you know what most bariatric doctors use? Thanks, Amy
Bloomfield Hills Bariatric Surgeon

Excellent physician. I needed no pain meds following surgery, and had no drains. Have had excellent wt loss results. Also has excellent staff support.