Tattoo Removal on Wrist...

So, I thought it would be a fab idea to get my...

So, I thought it would be a fab idea to get my partners name on my wrist with a cute butterfly, as we are getting married in January so not just a quick fling! Problem is, I didn't put enough thought into the design and I let the tattooist rush me into it.....

Now, I want it gone. Not because of what the tattoo represents but just because I think it looks rubbish. I am having treatments at Sk:n in Norwich and using the Yag and Ruby lasers. My tattoo is roughly 8cm x 5cm and am paying £90 per session. I am buying the sessions in bulk to get them cheaper. I started the process in June and I had my 4th treatment yesterday and even though I see some fading, its not as much as I had hoped.

5th treatment booked 27/12/13

I have my 5th treatment booked with sk:n on 27th December. I will take a picture of my tattoo immediately before treatment so you can see fading since treatment 4. It is still not fading as I would hope but I have such bright colours I guessed it would be problematic before I started this process. This next treatment will be the last one in the package deal I bought and think I am going to give Picosure a shot in January. I really hope this Picosure laser lives up to its claims...

Picosure!

So I had my first Picosure treatment today! I am so excited to see the effect this has on my tattoo compared to the older lasers. I had a really thorough consultation and the lady treating me says she is really optimistic about my tattoo and hopes for 100% clearance! The tattoo has no colours that bother her, although she thinks the pink will take a little longer but nowhere near as long as the older lasers I have been using up until now. The treatment went well. It didn't feel much different to my past treatments, maybe a little worse but felt more tolerable because I had constant cold air blown onto the tattoo during treatment. It felt a little sore afterwards but I wasn't in agony or anything. Anyway, I have to keep the dressing on for a few days but will post a pic of the healing soon. For now, I have added two photos taken in different lights immediately before treatment with Picosure which is after 5 treatments with the Yag and Ruby lasers.

I see good results :)

I have just looked back through pics 1-5 during my treatment with the old laser as I wasn't feeling great about the results I had, but looking back and comparing pic 1 to pic 5, I think I have had some real good fading! I am excited to see hoe the Picosure speeds things along. I changed my dressing this morning and it looks as if a lot of the blue has disappeared!

I forgot to mention yesterday my treatments are £299 with the Picosure but I have bought a package for £1200 where you get 4 treatments and if the tattoo is still visible you get another 4 treatments free of charge. Pretty pricey but I paid £299 upfront yesterday and the remaining £900 will be paid £75 a month for a year so lessens the blow a bit! I could do a lot with £1200 but this tattoo being gone forever gives me the most happiness.

3 days post Picosure treatment

So, its 72 hours since my treatment and no big blisters, scabbing or bleeding. I had a few tiny blisters come up on the blue ink but they have disappeared already. I have uploaded a pic to show how much of the blue appears to be blasted away! Its a little shiny though as I had just applied Vaseline.

2 weeks post Picosure

Well, its been two weeks since my first Picosure treatment and I am feeling slightly down about it today. My tattoo does not look any different at all. Back when I took the pictures immediately after treatment it looked like it had got rid of loads of the ink, especially the blue, but now it has healed the colour seems to have come back. It is really strange. I guess I am feeling slightly disappointed because I expected more with this laser as it has been so raved about. I do not see any better results than the old Q-switch at the minute. Maybe it is too soon to tell as I was only treated 2 weeks ago. I am hoping it will fade a lot more before my next treatment on March 15th.

3 weeks post Picosure

So, it has been three weeks since my Picosure treatment and I am not sure I see much fading. What do you guys think?

2nd Picosure treatment completed :)

So I had my second Picosure treatment at Trueskin in Bluewater yesterday. I saw a different technician as the lady I had last time was on holiday but she was great too. I asked lots of questions this time about my treatments and expressed how disappointed I was feeling with my results up until now. After all, I have been going through this process for 9 months now and on my 7th treatment and haven't seen as much fading as I would like. She said she honestly expects 100% clearance of my tattoo...even on the tough pink. She says that while treating there has been a good reaction on the pink ink so it is definitely responding to treatments it will just take a little longer than the blue and black. So, last time the laser was set at 2.9 and because I was not happy with the results she turned it up to 2.8 this time (laser can be set from 5-1 with 5 being the weakest and 1 being the strongest) The treatment didn't seem to hurt as much as the last time though but I think its because she gave me the cold air a few minutes before and my wrist had started to go a bit numb before she started with the laser. I was pleased with how much frosting there was afterwards. Every colour had frosted well, especially the blue and she said to expect some blistering this time.
I have changed my dressing this morning and I have a few small blisters on the blue and pink but nothing major. I have also bled very slightly this time, again on the pink ink. I am hoping this is a good sign?! Anyway, I have added a pic of my tattoo just before treatment so you can see what fading I had from treatment 1 and I will post one of my healing in a few days when dressings are off :)

Pictures taken before 2nd treatment

Sorry, forgot to add the pictures before posting the update!

48 hours later....

Just a quick update to say I am healing well! Small blisters have subsided already but a little scabby and skin is feeling tight. This is the first time it has actually looked affected so I am really hoping to see some great fading in the coming weeks :)

2 weeks after treatment

So, its been almost 2 weeks since my 2nd treatment with Picosure and I haven't compared my pictures yet but think I have seen some good fading this time. I am really hoping it carries on fading over the coming weeks. The pink is still being very stubborn. What do you guys think?
Sk:n

I started my treatments at Sk:n but am now being treated with Picosure at Trueskin Bluewater.

Hey, I would agree, I see some fading on that butterfly - it would seem a decent amount of the blue has gone! Also, the black lines of the butterfly look lighter than they did before TX2. The pink is going to be tricky I reckon, but apparently can be done. Still early days after your treatment - hopefully you see more fading in the coming weeks!
I can understand your frustration. But, it does look amazingly faded and your skin is in great condition! I am surprised the pico did not fade the blue more quickly. 2.8 is a pretty strong setting. I hope this treatment really causes some serious fading for you!
Hey Poppy, thanks for commenting. I agree, when I look through from pic 1, I do see good progress it just feels it has taken so long to get to this point. I really hope I get some good fading this time. It is looking very different from previous treatments so fingers crossed!
The butterfly looks faded:) I would be dissapointed as well though. I would have thought the blue would be a goner. -Maybe she'll need to adjust the settings for your tattoo?
Yeah, I am going to ask they turn it up at my next treatment. I only had a little swelling after the last treatment so I am pretty sure my skin will cope.
Thank you for your update, I would love it if you would do a side by side picture. I actually see fading in the blue and black from the Picosure. Fading certainly does continue to happen in weeks following the treatment. Remember your immune system does the work after the laser breaks down the ink, exercise, healthy food, water, and emotional well being is all important to successful fading. Hang in there!
Hey Eva, Yep, I am kickstarting the exercise routine again tomorrow in the hope it will help to speed things up. I am not great with technology, but if I can work out how to do it, I will post a side by side picture!
Hey, try not to be too down. I've looked at both pictures side by side and can definately see an appreciable difference in the blue - so that's good! You're in the same boat as a couple of others on here with regards to the Picosure in that it's likely going to struggle with the pink / red you've got going on there. I've heard someone say that this place (or possibly the other one) has told them they ONLY use the Picosure for all tattoos now. This seems confusing, as the wavelength the Picosure operates at is 755nm, which is geared around blacks, blues and greens. I'd have thought they should be utilising another laser for your areas of pink and even the little bit of yellow you've got in there (probably more like the 532nm wavelength). When you were being treated at sk:in, were they using a different attachment for the colours? Or were they using the one laser for the whole thing?
Hey, Thanks for commenting. I notice a slight difference in the blue also, so I guess that's a good thing even if the rest doesn't seem any different. Yeah, I wondered this about the pink also. When I asked about it, I was told the Picosure works on all inks so not to worry! When I was being treated at Sk:n they were using 755nm wavelength on the black, 532nm on my pink and the Ruby laser on my green and blue so I thought it a bit odd they only use one wavelength. I do see slight progress. It is just hard not to feel disappointed as I was expecting a lot more, especially at £299 a go!
It's only a short period of time since your treatment so i wouldn't be too disheartened just yet. Having said that I think they're either not being truthful with you or they literally don't know that the Picosure isn't effective on all colours. It sounds like you were receiving the right type of treatment at sk:in in terms of different wavelengths, but perhaps they weren't using enough power. I know they're quite a big company, with multiple clinics so I'd hope they'd be using decent machinery. Were the lasers they were using large prices of kit? Or were they table mounted? Do you mind me asking how much you were paying per session?
At Sk:n, they were two big machines. One was the ruby and the other switched between the wavelengths 755nm and 532nm, that's all I know really. Although, I did have 5 sessions and it was never turned up to the max, apart from the black on the very last treatment. I was paying £90 a session at Sk:n. I pretty much have to see it through with Trueskin now though as I have signed up for the Picoplan. I really hope it makes a difference on the pink otherwise I will feel like they were purposely dishonest with me. They told me at my consultation they were sure I would get 100% clearance. Considering I am paying £1200 for the privilege, I will be pretty upset when my treatments finish and the pink ink still remains.
I hope I haven't made you worry, it's just that the one thing I've learnt in this thing is to have realistic expectations. Recently I've been doing a LOT of reading about the whole process, and that, coupled with seeing other people's reviews etc suggests that the Pico will struggle to pick up reds and pinks. I could be entirely wrong, and for your sake I hope I am, but for them to tell you they can get 100% clearance with just that laser on your tattoo, I think is just plain not true. You're investing a lot of money in to this, as we all are, so it's important that you're getting the very best, most effective treatment possible each and every time you sit down in that chair, so that you see results. Have they essentially tied you in on this Picoplan or can you leave at any given time? In an ideal world we'd all be treated by a Dr who has very advanced knowledge of how different wavelengths of light interact with pigment in our skin, but they're quite hard to come by in the UK (at least within a manageable price for is!) so a lot of us have to settle for these spa/beauty type places who, aside from tattoo removal, offer a whole host of other beauty treatments. I've more recently found a place that specialises in tattoo removal (and hair removal) and that's it, and so im hoping that I'll get my treatments finished there. I'm not sure where you are in the UK, but if you didn't have to travel far for the Trueskin place then I guess you could be not far from London? I would imagine there are plenty of specialist tattoo removal clinics around there, so could pay to contact a few others for their opinions?
No, not all all, I welcome all honest opinions. I am tied into the Picoplan now, I have no right to cancel so I will be seeing it through. I am in Suffolk so the clinic in Bluewater is around 90 minutes from me. I could easily travel to other clinics in or around London if needed. Someone else on here has her treatments at the Bluewater clinic. She has a bright pink in her tattoo also and they have mentioned using the revlite alongside the Picosure. I will ask about this at my next visit. As you say, this is my time and money, I want to get what I am paying for!
Thank you for the update, excited to see your results - fingers crossed! Did you blister?
Hi Eva, I changed my dressing this morning and noticed some very small blisters on the blue of the butterfly but nowhere else yet. Obviously its very swollen at the minute still as it has only been 24 hours but it looks as if most of my blue has gone! Exciting!
Wow, that's great...It seems like blue and purple respond amazingly with the Picosure! Happy healing and keep us posted.
go for the picosure. It has knocked out a lot of my color (reds included) considerably….. BUT….. regardless of its superiority over the other lasers, it still takes time, patience, and several treatments (just not 20 compared to the older lasers)
I think the Pico will work great on your blue and black! But not the pink or yellow, so you might want to consider continuing with the Yag for the pink at least. Can you post a side by side comparison?
How did your treatment go?

Thanks for the update, good luck!

Hi chezbit. I'm in the same boat; I have a tattoo of my daughter's name that I want removed next year as it's just too bulky and I don't like it anymore! There is definitely fading on the photos you've shared, but you probably won't see it as much as others do as you're looking at your tattoo every day. Keep taking photos after each treatment and you'll see a big difference. Sk:n is an excellent clinic and are very well known, so I'm sure you will be well looked after by their technicians. Please keep us updated. :-)
Hi, Yeah I was reading through your story a few days ago :) I definitely see fading too but it just doesn't seem a lot to me compared to other wrist tattoos I have seen during treatment. I agree, Sk:n are a great clinic and the technicians are fab...I am just wondering if this laser is really doing the job it needs to. I am tempted to try Picosure...although very pricey!

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to share your review with us! I see fading, you are getting results, it's just a long process. Do you know what level your laser is set at and how much it is increased each session? Do you use any numbing cream?

Hi Eva, I am not sure what its been set at, but I think they said 5? I could be wrong. The nurse did say she would turn it up next time because I don't have a lot of fading. I haven't been using numbing cream but have been advised to next time as it will hurt more. I have heard this stops the laser from working as well though, so not sure I want to use it!

You know, I heard that as well regarding the numbing cream, but I am not understanding the logic behind that and wonder why this would be. I think that would be a great topic for discussion, so I posted it Does numbing cream impact the effectiveness of the laser for tattoo removal?  I use it no matter what as I can't tolerate the pain, I am on session 9 and I would not be able to do it.