Not Worth the Risk, Really

I had my implants in 1995 - All in all has been a...

I had my implants in 1995 - All in all has been a good experience. But no one plastic surgeon in the world has the decency and the ethics to inform you that ALL -according to a number of researchs- implants will eventually rupture and will contaminate your body: silicone is not "inert" when it comes to the brain and the liver, and can produce a number of conditions that are irreversible.

I would really like to have them removed but Im frightened that my breasts will look horrible after that. When I got them I was 27, a bit immature and naive, now Im 41 and dont want to risk my precious health just for having a nice "pair of boobs". Very well documented research found that implants produce harmful effects on the body in the long term and should I had all the information by then, I would have never got them... Make your research before gettin implants, investigate about serious research and dont read just the web pages of plastic surgeons.

I am so sick and tired of reading statements from these so called educated doctors on the safety of breast implants. I had silicone gel implants put in under the muscle in 1988. I was told then that they are absolutely safe and would last my lifetime. I also returned to the doctor who did my implants in 2000 after the big scare regarding all the bad publicity about implants and the harm that they could do. My surgeon told me he would remove them at no cost but assured me that they were 100% safe even after 12yrs. and I had nothing to worry about so I decided to do nothing.

I had my annual (1 yr. late) mammogram about 2 weeks ago and was told that I needed an ultrasound due to the fact that both sides looked like they had ruptured. Yes, lying on the table I could see for myself that they had both ruptured and I was told that they had leaked through the capsule and into my lymph nodes. After going to see a surgeon regarding the removal, I was told several things that I was never told before regarding implants. I understand that after years of science, new materials, etc. that newer and better implants are available but wasn't this the same statement that was made back in 1988?

My health started to go down hill about 2-3 years ago. I thought it was just my age (53 then)and stress. I would have burning sensation in my breast, shortness in breath, flu like symptoms all the time, fatigued and within the last year my eyesight has really changed. I went to doctors, had blood work done, went to eye doctors and nothing was ever found. I even had mammograms. Everyone said I was fine and was told it was because I was just getting older. Well, I know my body was trying to tell me something.

I have researched several websites with testimonials from women who have had ruptured implants and they too have had the same symptoms. Thankfully, most of these women have regained their health after having them removed but unfortunately not all of them. I hope that after my surgery next month, that I too will be one of the lucky ones!

So, for all you Doctor's and women out there who say that implants are safe, don't need to be replaced every 10 years. aren't linked to any other disease, that silicone is safe once it breaks through the capsule...........DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!

Thousands of women including myself are living with and through this nightmare. I am not trying to capitalize on this or sue anyone but I am DISGUSTED that women aren't being given the complete truth about implants regardless if they are silicone or saline. We need to know the facts and the truth so women can make an educated decision on weither to have implants put in or weither to have them removed but stop telling us that there is nothing to worry about when our lifes are at stake!!!
Jessie if you had done your research and ask any PS there is no evidence that proves that implants cause autoimmune diseases and there is no evidence that PROVES that it doesn't! Therefore it is INCONCLUSIVE. Even my Allergan info booklet talks about this and I am sure Mentor does too. So where better to get this info than straight from the implant companies???
Oh and if you did your research you would see that most of these studies are funded by the implant companies. And even if implants are 100% safe it is still a foreign object in your body that your body can react to.
And YES you are right Jessie...you really do need to make sure your input is valid....which if the extent of your research is only looking up 2 websites and that is it than you need to realize you don't know what you are talking about.
I wished I would have read this posting before I had my surgery done but I didn't even know about this site at the time.
Very informed replies from both ladies. NO OTHER DEVICE IN MEDICINE HAS BEEN STUDIED AS SILICONE BREAST IMPLANTS. AND FINALLY AFTER15 YEARS OF STUDIES BY THE FDA THEY WERE RELEASED AND FOUND TO BE SAFE
Actually....studies have shown to be inconclusive. They haven't been proven to have links to cancer, auto immune symptoms, etc....but it hasn't been proven that they don't either. So sad to see a PS who does not know his facts.

Actually Lynn you're incorrect. As of 2010 there has been NO evidence that links Cancer or Auto Immune Disease to silicone implants, If you check on reliable Medical sites such as WebMD.com and MediNet.com they will all tell you that there is NO scientific evidence that proves this claim. Yes in the past there were issues with manufacturing of the implants, but just like an inventions its about trial and error (unfortunately). When we put information on here we should make sure that is valid. When i read lynn's post it scared me until i researched for myself. So a word to the wise is do your own investigations.

the info above gives you the chronological information on the evolution of Breast Implants :-)

They are still undergoing studies.....
Too bad people like you are not as fully evolved as you claim the implants are.
Listen this is a website that should be utilized for vital and helpful information on PS not to be catty lynn, all of us being adults i thought we would get that. All of my nformation comes from Doctors, Medical websites and my own medical studies as a Nursing Student.

6. Autoimmune Disease

With all the confusion in the newspaper, magazines and on the T.V. or radio, there has been a fear that silicone implants may cause autoimmune disease. At this time there is no scientific evidence that silicone causes autoimmune disease.

7. Cancer

There is no evidence that silicone implants cause cancer.

this is the site you can check out to your leisure

All im saying is be objective, the only reason why i commented was because i took a special notice to your comment ("so sad to see a ps that doesn't know his facts) i don't understand why we can't make comments in a nice way, clearly this is a touchy subject for you.

Too bad people like you are not as fully evolved as you claim the implants are.

How juvenile.
Here is in regards to the RECENT implants before their release on the market in 2006.

There are even articles about how the FDA denied Mentor and Inamed because they kept covering up studies results and lying about defective implants. I can email you those links as well!

Obviously you want implants....so if that is what you want than go ahead. I NEVER said I was against implants! I just wish women were more informed before making the decision to get them. I guess when you want something bad enough it is easy to ignore the risks....
and looking up a couple of websites does not qualify as research!
Being a nursing student hardly qualifies you to know everything about implants. I have a friend who is a nurse and just had her implants removed.
Not all PS's are that great. As a "nurse" I am sure you know that there are the good doctors and the doctors who are not so great.
Pot calling the kettle black...
It's pretty juvenile that you attcked me saying my input was not "valid"
and P.S i would be foolish to say that people become ill from implants because you're right it is a foreign object in your body... but some people get sick from foods, some from medicines, everything affects people differently. Medical Reactions to anything is Universal, some people have them and some don't. Anyone considering PS on any level should always carefully weigh their options. I never did said that there wasn't any complications associated with breast implants. What i said was their was no evidence them causing cancer and autoimmune disease there is no scientific evidence that proves THESE claims.
Please don't take any of my comments as an attack. This site for myself is informative and novelty purely. You Win. lol
The above comment was for the lady who had them for 31 years.
Hi. I had implants for the first time when I was 26 and had them removed at 31 due to some fibromaygia symptoms I attributed to them. Since then my sister who's never had implants came down with it too, and I found out both my mom and my grandma had symptoms but you just didn't talk about aches and pains then. I was faced with a hard decision to have breast reconstruction or not this year at age 41. The good news is that silicone has come a very long ways in all these years. I got the new gummy bear silicone implants. The great thing about these is that you can cut them in half and the material stays intact and doesn't move around your body...NO more gell bleed !!! I love my implant...I get the other one to match my lost breast next month. I'm not scared of them anymore. I believe they are as safe as they can be now. Before if you were punctured it cold leak into your body...now not so much. So I advise you research a good doctor and get them replaced with the new gummy bear implants. It will give you some peace of mind and those implants are due to be replaced anyway!!! Good luck...I feel ya.
Even if implants are safe....it doesn't change the fact that it is still a foreign object in your body and your body can still react to it.
I had the same silicone implants for 31 years. I breast fed 2 babies. I did have to have them replaced this year due to scaring. Other than that they were no trouble for me. If you had your implants in 1995 they were probably saline. Silicone was cleared again by the FDA after 2000. I believe that most of the claims of problems were from people wanting to make money and using junk science to back them. Try not to worry too much about them.
I'm glad you haven't had problems ...but after that long you really need to think about replacement with something safer. They very well could have ruptured and you wouldn't know it if the rupture stayed within the scar tissue that forms around it. The manufacture does not claim these to be permanent. You should probally do some asking of your nearest plastic surgeon. Don't be so hard on those who have had problems...it wasn't all about money. Numerous women had ruptures that circulated silicone throughout thier bodies and many had serious health implications....That being said the newer gummy bear implants prevent this from occuring. Thank God.
I explanted....and I SPENT a ton of money to do it. I never sued anybody or even thought of it....I have also came across other women in their 20's who love their implants but explant for their health. Why would these young girls go through all of that trouble if their were no issues????