Silicone Implants Made Me Very Sick

I loved the look of my silicone implants-- unlike...

I loved the look of my silicone implants-- unlike those flaunted by the Real Housewives of OC, mine looked quite natural.

Unfortunately, a few weeks after having them implanted I fell deathly ill-- I experienced vertigo, nausea, problems with vision, digestion and cognition, muscle aches, insomnia, severe weakness, TMJ, tinnitus, skin problems, circulatory problems, rampant infections, tachycardia, breathing problems. . . the list goes on. Before this, I was extremely healthy-- ate a good diet, exercised, didn't drink or smoke and had never had a major illness of any sort. I was ill for many months, went to many doctors and had many tests, but nobody could figure out what was wrong with me. I was told I had a brain tumor, MS, Lymes disease, Lupus, etc but tests proved all those to be false. I lost 40 pounds (I was not overweight to begin with) and my job as a grad school prof.

For almost a year I did not consider the possibility that my implants were making me sick. After all, they were safe, weren't they? But after a dental specialist told me he'd seen an unusual corelation between implants and TMJ, I started to research the possibility. What I found was that many, many women have similar problems as a result of implants. I found a prominent plastic surgeon in Dallas Texas, who is adamently opposed to implants because of the damage they do to women. he has removed thousands of implants from women even sicker than me.

Only after I had my explant did my symptoms begin to subside. Now, 3 1/2 years after first receiving "safe" implants, I am still struggling with my health, but I am much better than I was. Silicone implants were the worst mistake I ever made.

Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

My PS denied that implants could make me sick and was extremely unfriendly to me when I came to him sicker then heck and asked him to remove them. He also neglected to report the problems I was having to the FDA, even though he was required to do so by the rules of the Mentor implant study he participated in. I contacted the FDA myself, and he was furious. There are many many women who don't realise that their plastic surgeons have not honestly reported their problems as required, thus skewing the studies in favor of the industry, not the sick women.

Yes, and some women get sick with saline implants as well, though it is often more common and more severe with silicone gels. My explant PS showed me how silicone gel molecules, which are very tiny, migrate through the shell and into the surrounding tissues. He washed a clean, unused implant with alcohol and placed it on a sheet of glass and when he removed it there was a greasy residue, caused by silicone that leaks through the shell.
I went to Dr. Edward Melmed, whom I highly recommend. He is an expert on removing implants and will make you look great.
Good luck!
I'm in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and am looking for a good surgeon to do the explantation. I've had mine for 4 years, they are silicone, and havent really had many problems.......now and then I feel a sharp pain in my breasts. I just want to be myself again. I greatly regret the decision of ever getting them. I do not feel healthy, I worry everyday about the possible risks involved, and I look very top heavy. Could you please let me know the name of the surgeon you used? Thank you.

hello, can you please inform me what the plastic surgeon needs to report to mentor about any post complications. also how did your plastic surgeon know you called mentor? thanks very much for any input.. hope you are doing better..

The world should be full of ethical and well informed doctors who explain to women all the serious health risks silicone implants involved. I really cant believe that they go on saying they are completely safe. What a joke! Please ladies, if considering breast enlargements, do a very complete research, there is plenty of useful and well documented information on the internet, before going ahead with the procedure.
I understand that the occurance of this is not any higher than, or marginally so, saline. I'm sorry that you've had such a bad experience.