Not Sure But Hopeful - Seattle, WA

After many weeks of back and forth, I decided to...

After many weeks of back and forth, I decided to go for it and had the Ultherapy procedure done on my lower face and neck a week ago, 5/7/13.
I just took 4 Advils (200mg each) before the procedure and it helped. It was uncomfortable but tolerable. Each zap lasted close to 3 seconds. (It would be difficult if each lasted more than 3 secs.) My procedure was done by a PA and she assured me that would be no bruising afterward. There was no bruising right after it was done, I had it done in the morning and I was able to go to work in the afternoon. The bruises and the swelling came the morning after. I ended up with swelling on both jaws and a bruise about 2 inches on my left and a smaller one on the right and lot of tenderness on my lower face. The swelling and the bruises have subsided significantly 7 days later.
It has been only a week and It is too early to tell how the results are going to be but will keep posting the updates.
I'm 65 with pretty good skin, not much wrinkles, just some sagging around the jawline and on the upper neck area. I had the procedure with hope it will help with my developing jowls.

Oh, the waiting phase. I think that must be the hardest part! You mentioned you went back & forth before deciding to do the treatment. What were the things you were mainly weighing your decision on? Was it cost, potential pain level, concern about not seeing results, etc?

Hi Megan, Several factors contributed to my hesitation: age, unsureness of results, and cost. I came to my appointment bracing for the pain but I found it very tolerable. Perhaps it is dependent to one's pain tolerance. It is a very expensive procedure and to my opinion, the results from this procedure is still pretty much uncertain. I finally decided to get it done because during the consultation, my doctor said I was a "perfect" candidate for Ultherapy considering my age. My skin still has good elasticity, I'm not overweight, exercise regularly, and in good health... The procedure was done 10 days ago and the bruises totally gone. The tenderness also subsided significantly. What I need know is patience :-)). I have to remind myself that the improvements are going subtle since it is not a facelift. Nevertheless, I still expect the results to be somewhat visible, at least to myself. Otherwise, this Ultherapy thing is only another hype of the cosmetic industry. I'll keep the community posted of the results, if any.

10 days after

Bruises & swelling are totally gone. Tenderness around the jawline and neck remains but diminished. Now is the wait! Just need the patience!!!

I was wondering since your last post being back in May 2013 Hopeful65, have you been satisfied with the end results? Also, how long do they say the results last?
What do you think now that it's been a few weeks? I had it done around my eyes and for the longest time it felt like "the Emperor's new clothes," but I've had a lot of positive feedback by people who aren't afraid to tell me the truth. I'm definitely going for it on my lower face and neck as soon as possible. One thing you might want to try if you have good skin and just the sagging where you described is Artefill over your cheekbones. I had this done recently and hello, there was my usual (not old) face in the mirror again. Between the two, I'm very happy. I highly recommend Larson Medical Aesthetics in Burien WA--didn't try to upsell me and actually wouldn't do what I asked about and suggested the cheekbones, which was exactly the right thing to do. Good luck!
Hi! What did the pain feel like for you? Is there something to compare it to? I am having it done later this week in the same areas and I am nervous about the pain! Good luck and hope you get the results you wanted!
Diane Jones, MD