Surgery Scheduled!! Super excited!

Same story as the majority of the people on here,...

Same story as the majority of the people on here, around 8th grade I started noticing that everyone else's noses were staying petite and feminine while mine seemed to never stop growing. As time went on, it began to fit my face a little bit better but was definitely still oversized. I have always had a small round/heartshaped face and was unfortunately given a nose from my dad's side of the family-- very bulbous and very shapeless. I was always editing my photos and untagging myself from photos that others had posted online :(. For the past few years I've thought extremely seriously about rhinoplasty, and it always seemed like having the option of getting the surgery was such a relief and it felt completely right. I had a consultation with Dr. Naficy back in February, and was pleased with him as a surgeon but unfortunately I live on my own and work full time just to pay for my rent and my full time school schedule so could not afford him as a surgeon (he charges a few thousand dollars more than any other surgeons and doesn't offer any kind of payment plan). After leaving his office I felt even more so that rhinoplasty was right for me, but disappointed that it would be so hard to save up the money. I recently did some more research and discovered Dr. Portuese. I have a consultation scheduled for August 13th and since his office offers care credit, I am hoping to schedule my surgery for early/mid September. I will post some pictures of my nose before so you can get idea of what I am dealing with! I also have a slightly deviated septum which turns one side of my nostrils into a slit in photos.... Not cute! Can't wait for my consultation on Tuesday.

Before/hopefully after!!

Had my consultation today

I met with Doctor Portuese and his great staff today and it really was a beyond pleasant experience. Dr. Portuese was very warm and friendly, and understood exactly what I was saying about my nose and I felt as though he was being very honest with me. I met with his lovely office manager Janet, and we discussed the process and she showed me the morphed photos of what my nose could look like. I was very pleased and know that with a little tweaking of the photo it could be just what I wanted it to be :)

Unfortunately, their office no longer accepts care credit so I will need to spend a couple more months saving for the procedure instead of trying to take out a private loan. As of now, I am going to have to wait until this next quarter is over since I can't miss any school. Something to look forward to I guess :)

Procedure officially scheduled!!

I called Dr. Portuese's office today to schedule my consultation, and his office manager Janet was in a meeting and unavailable to speak. I left a message with the front desk and waited to hear back, but it took about 4.5 hours until she called. She was extremely sweet when she called and explained that the office had been busy (as I had assumed) and gave me her complete attention :) I scheduled my surgery for December 12 and my pre-op appointment for November 15 to hash out all of the remaining details and make sure that everyone is on the same page. Working as many hours as possible in the meantime to save up the remainder of the cost but I have 3 months so it should be no problem! Janet says that she will send another photo of my nose that is a mix of what I like and what she thinks I will like and I have complete faith that she understands what I want and will send me a masterpiece.

I thought that I would be more nervous and stressed but I feel extremely calm and at peace and definitely think it is the right time and is what I need to do :) very excited!

Update!

I have been talking to Dr. Portuese's office manager Janet back and forth through email and she sent me another morph based on what I had specifically asked her for after my consultation. The first morph was a little too pointy for my face in my opinion, so she sent me a second adjusted photo catered to what I wanted and what she thought would be best. I am very happy with the new edited photo, especially since she was able to show me what it would look like from my bad side, so I can only imagine what my good side will look like :)) just in looking between the photos of my current nose and the new planned nose, I am so excited and motivated to work even more so that I can put enough money away and still be comfortable after my surgery with low stress. Very happy with my experience so far and I have no doubt it will continue. Any tips on how to make this whole process easier when it comes to surgery time would be much appreciated!

Hate my right side!

Another morph....

I edited another photo of my face relaxed from the side and sent it to Dr. Portuese's office manager to see if it was something that would be a possibility. Since the surgery is performed relaxed I tried to imitate that in the photo so sorry for the super strange picture!! Can't wait to have my new nose.... Please let me know what you guys think of the new morph! I think it really brings all my features together :)

Front back side to side :)

so I made my own morphs and put them side to side with the real picture, and decided this is exactly how I want my nose :) I emailed it to Dr. Portuese's office assistant and she responded first thing the next morning and told me it was absolutely possible :) at work, working a double as we speak to try and save more money for my procedure..... Luckily I'm not tempted to spend it since this is something I really want!! Paid tuition and rent and the remainder is what I have towards my nose and its nice to look in the bank and see that :) anyways, rambling.....

Horrid!!

Took a picture of my 3/4 angle today and my nose sticks out so much for my small face! I have a very wide smile that I love and I hate smiling in photos for the very reason of my nose :'( this side angle is my least favorite, I never take photos like this.... December cannot come soon enough!
Doctor Portuese

Very warm, welcoming and honest. From his before and afters he seems to be a very experienced and talented doctor and I am beyond excited to see my own results!

I wanted to check if you had your surgery with Dr. Portuese, and how you are doing.
You are already very beautiful, and I like your before nose too! But I understand, and your new nose will look awesome too. My surgery is for the 18th of dec but I am hoping to get it for the 12th. Good luck, we have to keep in touch while we are recovering haha.
Haha I'm absolutely worried about that after surgery! That I will totally be feelin myself and my ego will explode ;) hopefully the cold weather helps the swelling of my nose to go down... I've also been told that eating less salty foods helps with the swelling? Dr Portuese didn't mention having to take grafts from my ear or ribs, he might just do the same with me and put my bulbous tip to good use and move some things around! :) PS I think you are SOO lucky for having a strong jaw that is something I've always wanted along with a feminine nose! I have an OK jawline but I definitely think that a strong one is better than a weak one. Yes it's no doubt that Dr. Naficy knows what he's doing but one of the problems I had with him was that the idea he had for my nose was still too large.... If I was going to do it I wanted it DONE! I wanted it small and natural and cute for my little face! How is your nose looking now that it's had some time to breathe out of the cast??
Hey! This comment is a little out of place not sure if it was directed at me but...I just wanted to check in with you and see how you were feeling since your surgery should be coming up?
Hi, when are you having your surgery??? I actually like your nose.
I am scheduled to have it on December 12th! That's very sweet thank you so much.... My mom says the same thing, she says its a different kind of beautiful than having a small nose would give me, but I am just not comfortable with the nose I have :( I am loving the profile of your nose so far though it looks like you have a super cute slope!!
Good luck. You are very pretty.
Thanks so much that's so sweet to say!! Fingers crossed that I see an improvement!
Hey! I just had my surgery yesterday with Dr. Naficy. I did look into Dr. Portuese and he was second on my list...even though I hadn't been able to make it to Seattle for a consult. I still thought he did great work and having the cost on the website was a little weird but made sure it was fair, at least. Anyway, maybe I was lazy with going to consults because I am in southern Washington. But regardless, I am excited for your surgery date in Dec. and look forward to see the results. And kick myself for paying more for Naficy! Just kidding...
I've been following your rhinoplasty experience and I saw that your surgery was in Bellevue and that you had it done by Dr. Naficy!! He is most definitely an artist, I cannot wait to see the final result for your nose :) that was one of my problems with Dr. Naficy, he did beautiful noses but I am in school and living on my own and couldn't afford $10,000.... $7,000 is even quite steep for my poor college student budget haha! I really loved Dr. Portuese as well as Dr. Naficy, and we are so lucky to have such amazing plastic surgeons in our state! I hope your recovery is going smoothly and I can't wait to read your next update love!
Yes, I agree! I live closer to Portland but there wasn't any surgeons that caught my eye around here. At least we have a lot of options in Seattle! I totally understand the hefty cost Dr. Naficy requires.... I was shocked when I was given a quote. Made me a little sick. I myself just graduated from school (new nose is my gift to myself haha), living on my own, no insurance..etc. I was surprised there weren't any payment plans but I literally have been living the life of a poor girl to save for this craziness. I just hope it is worth it. I read so many times that price shouldn't be a factor and then see all these great results on here when the cost was literally half as much as I paid. Really annoying! Dr. Portuese showcases a lot of beautiful results so I am sure you're in great hands! What sort of anesthesia will you be using? Likewise, i look forward to your updates!
When I saw the quote I thought the same thing, it's my face I shouldn't be stingy on price! But months went by and I just knew with no payment plan or any other options it wouldn't happen. Dr. Portuese has said he can do what I would like on my nose, and I like a lot of his past results :)) luckily I know exactly what I want so he has an exact picture to go off of! Congratulations on graduating school and rewarding yourself you definitely deserve it!! Poor girl lifestyle is where it's at.... I'm a frequent good will shopper and I'm becoming a pro! ;)
Haha! I recently sold all my furniture on Craigslist! Jk..sort of. I am trying to sell as much as I can to compensate for such an expense. Then it's garage sale time! Anyway, Dr. Portuese seems to have a lot of experience and your nose doesn't look like it'll need any major alterations. I am so excited for you! That's smart you brought a picture...I didn't do that because Dr. Naficy said every nose has their own potential and mine just didn't have the capability of being as small as I'd like because it would infringe on breathing. One thing I didn't like is not having a clear-cut visual to go off on other than simulations, which I was only 87% satisfied with. I have a history of being too trusting...
That sounds hard since you aren't positive what your face will end up with, but Dr. Naficy seems like he is very good at beautiful natural results and noses that perfectly fit his patients faces :) I am so excited to see the results though!! I wish my surgery was closer I am so eager to have it done.... I envy you right now!!!
I envy the fact that you can breathe right now and smile with ease! It really does get easier every day... and I am very eager to get this splint removed even though my nose is extremely swollen (at least it better be!). I remember when I was in recovery Dr. Naficy came by and told me I wouldn't see my sculpted nose a year to A YEAR AND A HALF from now! That makes me a little anxious, but I am sure it will be fun sporting an evolving nose for all that time and maybe will be less noticeable. One thing I am worried is I noticed a lot of his patients didn't have really drastic alterations to their front view and I wanted a slightly narrower base. But Dr. Naficy seemed very hesitant to make extra incisions and I told him to make the call. He didn't make the extra incisions. But anyway, the waiting game isn't fun. But you'll be forever changed after your surgery so really soak up the remainder months with your natural nose and spend some quality time with it. Sometimes I think back on all the times I spent with my original nose...where the extra cartilage is now...haha. No I am not on drugs but being house-bound is making me crazy. But honestly, I don't think I said a proper goodbye to my old nose. You still have time!!!
I have been mentally preparing for this and have said goodbye to my nose long ago!!! It's all a waiting game from here on out..... I am sure that Dr. Naficy knew what he was doing! When I sat down for my consultation with Dr. Portuese the first thing he did was sit me in front of a mirror and tell me everything I didn't like about my nose.... I explained the bridge and the extra cartilage and how wide it was when I smiled and he showed me on my nose what he would do and said he could make the incisions and stitch the bottom up to make it narrower which I am happy about :)) along with sloping the bridge and shaving some cartilage and also adding a cartilage graft in the middle :( either way he said my personal morph was possible so I'm josh excited for that!! I can imagine you have hardcore cabin fever cooped up inside for so long with a totally stuffed nose..... I know I will be DYING to clean my nose out too I don't know how you're suffering through it!! Also I think the healing nose makes it less obvious that we've had a nose job..... Since the swollen nose keeps it from looking teeny and cute right after we had these huge honkers :)
You are lucky yo have dr portuese. I wish I could come to seattle 4 my revision.
I feel extremely blessed to have him as my doctor!! One thing that makes me feel very comfortable about my surgery is how much experience he has and how many good comments I've heard about him since discovering him as a surgeon. I really enjoyed meeting with him and can't wait to discuss my surgery with him further at my pre-op appointment! Who are you having your revision done with/where?
I was also concerned about my width....is your surgeon going to narrow your nose by cutting along your alars? That was basically my only complaint about my front view...narrowing it when I smile. Although this is probably a natural occurrence for everyone (widening during a smile), I wanted to make sure every complaint was addressed as well as it could (for the somewhat outrageous price). I could tell he was really reluctant to narrow my base so I am not sure if there are other ways to do it without cutting along the alars. Your nose is lovely as it is--I am sure you will be thrilled after your surgery. Having a morph you are completely content with is paramount. CRUCIAL! I wish I did that (have one I was completely content with)! But I'll save being negative/complainy about my nose for another year ;)
Yes he said that he would make the base more narrow by cutting the nostrils and repairing with stitches to my nostrils are smaller as well as my nose spreading less when I smile! I was very adamant about not liking how it spread and was uneven when I smiled. He said it wasn't bad but he would fix it :) I sent my own morph to his office manager Janet, and she said that it was completely possible to do my nose the same way that I had done my morph so yay! I don't think I would be able to go through with it if I did not have control and know exactly what my nose was going to look like post-surgery :( luckily, they had the pictures morphed during my consultation to show me what was possible and that way I had an idea and could talk about it during my consultation which was nice because then I felt like all my questions were answered :) plus the price tag isn't outrageous.... :( why was he hesitant to narrow your nose again? Dr. Portuese is narrowing my bridge as well, from the sides of my nose so it will be all over smaller on my face... I have a very wide smile so it spreads quite a bit :'(
Heyyy. Same here...Dr. Naficy didn't think my nose was that wide when I smiled either but it bothered me enough to not teeth-smile in photos. Has your surgeon not agreed or been able to "solve" any of your complaints/requests regarding your nose? Or is he able to address and "fix" everything you want? One thing Dr. Naficy is known for is being very realistic/practical and letting patients know they are asking for something that cannot be done, or done without a huge risk/sacrifice. Several things I have asked of him he said over and over, certain noses have certain potentials and doing this or that would sacrifice my ability to breath or weaken the structure of my nose and could result in collapsed nostrils. So as he was trying to kindly say no he cannot do this or that, I was having a tantrum on the inside but understood. As we both know, he is very experienced and skilled so I trust what can and cannot be done. He was worried about scaring when cutting along the alars. Not everyone scars that well and it would be more visible than the one between your nostrils. Also, doing it just right is paramount because cutting too much...not having that part of your nose sticking out like it naturally should could result in a very unnatural appearance. What's Dr. P's policy on revisions? Like if you weren't satisfied? Maybe your nose is just the perfect nose for all what you want done--but I do know to be cautious when doctors tell you everything you want to hear in fear of losing you as a patient. I did emphasize to Dr. Naficy that I just don't want a nose that will just look good next year or the next...but to have a nose that will age gracefully and not get weird with age. Stay strong and mesh well with my features. Because as we know natural noses don't get prettier with age. Anyway! I am really happy that Dr. P's office is accommodating you and is keeping your enthusiasm high for your surgery in December. One thing I wish I had more was time....to process it all. As much as having it done next week sounds cool....it is a lot to process. I basically made my mind up and scheduled surgery within two weeks. Also I am envious of you getting it done in the rainy season. It is going to be dreadful not wearing sunglasses the rest of September. Okay the end. :)
Something that I really like about Dr. Portuese is that he does seem extremely realistic when it comes to my nose, he has made it clear to me that he can fix the things that I do not like on my nose, but definitely within reason as to not cause scarring or problems with breathing... I didn't feel like he would do something to my nose if it was something that would be bad for my nose in the end :) he has been doing nose jobs since before I was alive so I completely trust him with my face.... I wish that Dr. Naficy had been able to take care of everything you wanted for your nose, and most likely he will make it look as lovely as he can under the circumstances so we will have to wait and see... But Dr. Portuese's policy on revision is you just pay $100 for the cost of the anesthesia and then he makes the quick fix which is a HUGE part of why I chose him, I needed to know that if something was not how I liked it that it was fixable without me having to save for an entire second nose job since that is not realistic for me :( I am very glad that I saw a second doctor though... and I'm glad that I have a few months to think over what it is exactly that I want. I tried to schedule it before fall quarter but they didn't accept the line of credit I was going to use so then I had to schedule it for after the quarter was over :( but if it's meant to be it will happen I am a strong believer!! And this way I can stay out of debt and save the remainder of the money and have the time to think.... I hope your boyfriend is being a bit more supportive? I cannot imagine what that feels like while trying to recover from surgery on your FACE of all places haha! Don't be jealous of me!! Lots of photographers in my family so I'll have a swollen potato nose for all of our christmas pictures :)
Hey! I meant to reply to this sooner but one thing led to another and I just got really lazy with my inbox (notifications). That is SO GREAT that revision is only $100. Anesthesia alone costs $700 with Dr. Naficy and I think I'd have to re-pay some facility fees which is close to $2,000 (I think). So, YUCK! Hopefully I will be happy with the results. If not, I will be p-ed. I mean, I am happy so far but that is considering the swelling. If this was my final nose I would be freaking. Exactly, things happen for a reason....even if it means waiting a little longer. Sometimes I wonder if I had a consultation with Dr. P.... Being cheaper and everything. I know he is experienced and sounded pretty on-par with Dr. N, I don't know what the deal is with the difference in price. I tell myself lies to make myself feel better...haha. My boyfriend is not supportive but will kiss me gently if I ask. Yeah you will totally have swollen nose in pics! I don't feel like my nose looks bad but then I photograph it and my eyes bulge out of me head. Maybe contributes to my lack of pic updates....haha.
Hi there- you brought a good point about the price. I was wondering that too. I was quoted 14 k by one ps 4 revision. While in the same area others charge 7-9 k.
It's good to be aware of what the average is for the area. Ask the ps that quoted you why (s)he charges more, maybe there is a really good reason. Remember revisions are usually more than the average for first-time rhinos.