Retin-A is NOT Meant for Under Eyes, No Matter What Percentage! - Seattle, WA

I must have the worst luck in the world when it...

I must have the worst luck in the world when it comes to cosmetic devices (as you can see by my reviews).

There seems to be a lot of confusion when it comes to Retin-A and whether it thins or thickens the skin. In my opinion, it comes down to how thin your skin is already, how old you are, and where you are putting it. The claim is that Retin-A thins the epidermis, i.e. top layer, but thickens the layer underneath the skin, which supposedly helps anti-aging. From what I've experienced, a thin epidermis just makes younger women look older.
I have pretty sensitive skin to begin with, but I had been told to use this by a dermatologist who I consulted for Milia.

When asked if it was safe under the eyes, she responded, "Oh yes, I use it!" but something must have not phased me, as I didn't even think twice while looking at her eyes.

In retrospect, she had very, very thin under eye skin, with a blueish and reddish tinge to them. They were almost transparent.
But alas, this observation was only subconscious, and I started to use the Renova .02% and occasionally RoC Sensitive Skin under my eyes. I did this only 5 times in total, using it maybe once a month. Slowly but surely, that eye area became thin and hollow.

I'm in shock but from what I've read, there is absolutely nothing you can do to re-thicken the skin once it's thin. If any of you know products that thicken the skin, please let me know :)

So here's what I'd say to potential future users (lists are the best):
- Retin-a should NEVER be used under the eye area, no matter what the percentage. Mind you, retin-a is migratory product, meaning if you put it in the upper part of your cheek, it could migrate to the under eye area.
- When talking to a dermatologist or aesthetician who recommends it - no matter their reputation, always ask if they use it themselves and how often, and if they do, take a look at their eye area, and if not, ask why. Also, ask why they are recommending it considering the company itself advises users to stay away from eye area.
- There are WAY better ways to get rid of milia. Number one is staying away from thick eye creams, and number two is putting it only around the orbital area and NEVER up to the eye socket.
- Watch out for Drs who only use scientific data that supports a product or procedure rather than a weighing of both positive and negative studies. After all, scientific studies change all the time.
- Do the essential 4: Decrease stress, eat properly, exercise often, and sleep well. Once you do that, then think of potential solutions.

Will post photos soon!

Hey there, just checking in...it's been awhile since your review and was wondering how things were going? You mention you had some photos to share with the community, if you are still willing to share that would be awesome! Hope all is well!

Dr. Ulrich Ochs, M.D.

Dr. Ochs is supposedly one of the best dermatologists in Seattle. Perhaps she is good with larger, more important cosmetic issues, but in my humble opinion, ones with smaller issues should not be disregarded. I'm sorry Docs, but if I'm paying you for this appointment, I should expect the same quality time in return. She was rushed, spent a total of 10 minutes with me and acted eager to move on. Will not go again.