Nightmare I Can't Undo - Seattle, WA

I asked for high. DOT laser set on high 25. Dr....

I asked for high. DOT laser set on high 25. Dr. said I will have really great result, and red for 2 weeks. It has been 9 weeks (63 days), and still red. Blood red if I wash my face, go outside, or lower my head. I have tried hibernating, for it is so embarrassing. My skin looks like I've aged 5 years, especially around my mouth, which is what I wanted to smooth. Dr.-taken before and after photos also verify I look worse. So embarrassed, I broke up with my BF over the phone, afraid he'd see what I had done to myself. I am 59yo Female, Caucasian, very slim and athletic. When I try covering the redness with makeup, I just break out. I feel my life as a decent-looking gal is over for good. It certainly has ruined my social life, and given me months of crying. God must be punishing me for being vain enough to try this. All the doctor could say is to try injectables. Don't be fooled by those before & after shots. They are no more true than the over-the-counter cream's photos. Save your money and your love life. Find your hope somewhere else.

scarred hopes and wallet

Honestly, I thought the idea of burning the crp out of my skin would improve its appearance. My neighbor still pokes fun at me over this. It's now 3 months after procedure, and redness is finally gone. So are all my hopes. Good news is the occasional pimple no longer looks like a bloody volcano. I saw Dr. J R cut the cost of the procedure by 1/3. Maybe she is lowering the intensity, since now she's saying one WEEK of downtime (my downtime was 2 months). With lower intensity, when one does not see results, its then easier for Dr. to say, "it takes many procedures to see results".
The doctor has had this procedure done to herself many times, and posts a chin and neck shot in her waiting room showing results. I've seen photos of many types of procedures have displayed improvement in the neck. But I did not have the neck done.

P.S. (downtime 2 months)

That is, my face the 2nd month would have required heavy makeup to cover the redness and square DOT pattern on my face. I worried about makeup causing more of those blood volcano pimples, so I wore a ski mask almost all day, every day. Ski mask also kept my face moist.

trying Refirme to undo DOT nightmare

This week I went to Athenix, Bellevue to get 1st of 6 Refirme (radio frequency) treatments, hoping to undo the odd-looking wrinkle lines that formed on RHS of mouth after DOT. It has been 17 weeks since DOT. I don't know if the Refirme will fix the odd look DOT left, but Refirme was painless. (and I wasn't red or anything.) Refirme is bulk heating, and the experience of the tech is critical to prevent burning. Athenix tech has been doing Refirme for 7 years; obviously very skilled, as It was very pleasant treatment. I may post photos before, after DOT, and after Refirme if Refirme fixes the odd DOT wrinkling.

3 weeks post DOT

Warning: RHS is what DOT did to ME.

I filed a complaint with the BBB.

UPDATE: I filed a complaint with my regional Better Business Bureau, which accepted my complaint and forwarded it to Cosmedic SkinCare for their reply.
CSC

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

This forum is to help others know the results real patients have had. So they don't make the same mistake. So they won't believe what I received IN WRITING "you'll look 5 years younger", which IS on paper. No, like I said before, I did NOT sign any such disclosure forms. Interesting how you write with such venom: finding one skin treatment in 60 years as BDD. Bizarre how you aren't instead picking on the 50% of all U.S. women have breast implants (not me). Sounds like you'll soon be writing your misplaced anger onto EVERYONE who has posted on Realself.
Dear Shiny Happy, The reviews left by PrideB4fall are helpful and appreciated. In a market where a diverse range of dermatologists exist from pure greediness to greedy but tempered with ethics, these reviews help consumers make informed decisions. I'd advise to not diagnose mental health disorders via comments. That's not helpful or necessary. I can assure you that you, me, and lots of people in America have a touch of BDD. It's part of our culture. Also, unless you're a burn victim or been disfigured then anyone reading these reviews is looking to get a cosmetic procedure to enhance their features. More likely than not we who read these have a touch more of BDD. As a psychologist with a Ph.D. from an APA institution with the pedigree of APA internship and license I'm very appreciative of this story. I also recommend to us all that we can all benefit from psychotherapy via wide range of modalities that fits your personality and presenting concerns. Bryce
Bryce, if this forum exists to help people make informed decisions, then I hope ALL perspectives are permitted (not just those that are favorable to the industry). My comment was removed, ostensibly because I appeared to be giving medical advice. I will try to phrase it. Also, I meant to be helpful. Does everyone who gets cosmetic treatments have BDD? No, I don't think so, in my non-medical opinion of course. When appearance becomes an obsession and satisfaction cannot be found despite multiple treatments, some extreme and high risk, that sounds like a disorder, and one that requires a different, non-cosmetic approach. I don't think someone needs to be a doctor to recognize that.
Good for you PrideB4fall! I was going to respond to "Shiny Happy" but you beat me to it and I stand behind you 100%.
hi
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Thank you ALL so much for your stories and I'm sorry you all went through this. I wish I could I could heal you all and make you as beautiful on the outside and you are on in the inside. I'm a 37 year old female and I'm seeing some aging in my face. I'm trying to do some preventative maintenance as well as reverse some signs of aging. I have decided I will NOT be getting this procedure done. Thank you for saving me!
I had the same results as you. Puckering and sagging around the chin and lips much worse 9 weeks after Smartskin (DOT) laser and fat transfers. Not only did everything revert back to the way it was before I started but it got worse! Including $7,100 down the drain. And the best these doctors can do is offer more of the same treatments?? At what cost, again?! And if it didn't work the first time why do they think it would work a second, third and fourth time?
I think the Dr. Has to be clear before your proceedure what to expect and what happens if you have bad results. When you buy something expensive at the store and do not like it, you can return it for a full refund. I think these uninsured proceedures should have a money back policy if not happy!
My complaint to the WA Atty General is Dr.J.R. is ADVERTISING D.O.T. in writing as 'look 5 years younger'. Obviously no one would want to go through that much horrific pain, embarrassment, downtime, and money if Dr. said, 'you could look worse'. Dr. posts no disclaimer on the advertising. If the Dr. -HAD- a disclaimer, -I- didn't get it. (their computer system was down the day of my appointment. Partial receipt was hand-written, and post-op instructions were emailed.)
Here, here! But we all know that'll never happen.
The more I hear about your procedure, the more I cringe. I went to a very reputable Dr. with impeccable credentials. I just ended up looking the same (only slightly worse) than before I started.
Thank you for sharing your photos, that was brave as I know you were not comfortable doing so. Look forward to seeing your final results from the Refirme treatment, keep us posted okay :)

Would YOU want to post photos after a botched surgery/treatment? I feel I look 5 years older. I think when I went in for a follow-up, the whole staff was shocked at how bad my face looked. They took photos. That's enough.
Realself asked for an update: It's been 17 weeks since DOT. I scraped $ together to try Refirme (to undo the odd mouth wrinkling the DOT caused).
Thanks for the update, sounds like things are going much better, are you able to post some photos?
Just a "possible" suggestion, I had a couple of bad Fraxel like treatments that left little square red waffle scars on my face that did not go away for 6 months. I have had a series of IPL / photofacial treatments and they have lightened some. I have had about 8 of them (yes that is a lot) over 3 weeks apart. First the red turned brown, then little by little parts became dark brown and peeled off. Perhaps doing a small test patch of an area with IPL could be an idea (don't do your whole face to test it out).
Yes, it HAS helped to write about it. I took pictures every few days, then every week. I work alone, so as long as I don't look in a mirror, I do okay. I would like to go out and socialize. Or date. One seeks confirmation that one is okay. And female looks are a big part of that. That embarrassment and isolation has been the hardest part. And, yes, being heard and communicating on this site has been very helpful. There is an undisclosed reason I quit trusting my doctor soon after the procedure: Before procedure, Dr. offered me an expensive series of treatments to temporarily reduce symptoms for an issue. Investigating during healing, I found that issue was CURABLE with OTC liquid. And, after I mentioned the cure, Dr. said she knew that. :( I had a GREAT CARING, tell-it-like-it-is doctor in another type practice. I guess expecting too much from the DOT doctor.
I feel the same way. I have scars on my face and they will never go away. thanks for sharing
Dr.'s website states w/ DOT, "The improvements are dramatic for most and can greatly improve your appearance. " My main complaint is over-promising results, and understating recovery time. Over-promising always leads to feeling-cheated.
HI Just wanted to post there are no Laws in Nevada to protect anyone from Laser damage. I will keep posting this to remind all of us that we suffer without help.
In NJ my doctor had me sign a consent form acknowledging that laser resurfacing "may" cause damage in very rare cases. How many is "very rare cases" since I'm reading about several cases on this site?! It would be nice to know what the success rate really is.
Thank you for sharing. It is of some consolation. My friends, who haven't seen me in months have that, "What the *&% happened to you" look on their face when they see me. I'm too embarrassed to tell them why I look so bad. I just quit caring.
Don't be embarrassed to tell your friends. It's not your fault. Did you have to sign any sort of consent form and/or can you get a copy of it? If there isn't a "Very rare cases" type clause, bring it to your doctor and request another consultation for reparative damages.