The Risk is High, and if It Goes Even a Little Wrong...- Seattle, WA

My surgeon was rated a "top surgeon in Seattle."...

My surgeon was rated a "top surgeon in Seattle." And still, it only takes a fraction of an inch for this surgery to go wrong. Mine wasn't right. And now 5 weeks later my surgeon is re-doing one eye. I'm not sure I love the other eye's results either. My only advice would be to research a LOT of surgeons and be VERY sure you are so dissatisfied with how your eyes are now that any improvement is better than what you live with. If not, I wouldn't recommend it. The risk is too high (it is your face--your eyes--after all).

If I had really considered the risk, I probably...

If I had really considered the risk, I probably wouldn't have had this done. It's not like my incision is heinous. It's not a horrible, obvious procedure gone wrong, one for malpractice suits and scary stories. But this is my eye, my face. It doesn't have to be. It only takes a millimeter or two out of line. The ever-so-slightly off angle of incision or -- after healing -- the resulting shapes of the eyes being barely detectably off. Not quite right. You know what I mean, when you look at someone and you can just...tell. Something isn't right there. That's how I feel now every day, and I suspect I will even when the incision on my right eye -- which still isn't right -- is finally fixed. I wonder if I'll ever be comfortable with how my eyes look again. I sure hope so. Maybe in a few years I'll go to another doctor and see if I can get it made better, but for now, I just want the obvious bulged scar to be taken away, the natural slope of my inner eyelid returned to "normal," and I want to not be thinking about this every single day anymore.

If I'd known two months ago what I know now, that this "EASY" "ROUTINE" procedure could cause me so much grief, and that I'd wish for my old eyes back again, I never would have done it. I hope someday I feel good again about my eyes -- one part of my anatomy I often was complemented on, but just wanted a tiny lift for. Easy. Routine. How often do we not realize what we have until its gone?

Four months after the first surgery, and two...

Four months after the first surgery, and two months after the second surgery, I've had a third minor surgery to remove a small cyst that formed in my incision area. When my surgeon cut it open, thinking it would be a scar tissue cluster, it disappeared -- apparently actually a fluid cyst. Two sutures and out, and for the first time I look in the mirror and can actually imagine that I am going to look normal soon. It has been a lot of stress, and I have been an "outlier" case for sure, but I am looking forward to the stitches coming out in a couple of days and being back to "normal" soon. I actually believe it might be the case this time. Phew.

I was on of the unlucky ones

One of my best features has always been my eyes. But at 44 years old I felt I had too much skin drooping, and based on my family's lids, it would only be getting worse.

I've had three surgeries on my right eye by one of the top-rated surgeons in Seattle. The first one went wrong. He cut too high and you could see the incision well above the crease. He wanted to do to again to fix it, so after about 3 months I had surgery again. This time he brought the incision down so it is less visible.

Unfortunately, with all the new scar tissues and who knows what else, a cyst formed under the incision and I had to undergo a third surgery to remove the cyst.

That was last January or February. There isn't a day that doesn't go by where I don't stress over my eye and how it looks. Hiding the still visible scar tissue and unnatural skin pulling with makeup. Hoping the jagged ski along my lid isn't noticeable, despite the fact that I see it every time I look in the mirror. That the fat pockets in the corner aren't too noticeable -- or should I have them removed as he suggested, which would require general anesthesia and both eyes again.

I'm tormented and sad that my procedure would be the exception to so many success stories, but I'm not sure what to do now. Afraid of making it worse. I'm inclined to wait a few years and visit a new doctor to start all over. Meanwhile I live each day looking at my eyes and believing that on some level people are looking at me wondering what is isn't *just quite right.*

I've said before: if you want this you better really have something to change be because these are your EYES, and there's really no going back.

It has been more than a year of healing and it looks awful

I had the first surgery in September of 2012, then two more by January 2013. One to fix a messy incision and the third to remove a cyst that had formed under the incision.

It has been more than a year, and I think it looks terrible. Attached are some pictures, in varying degrees of makeup. You can see that not only does my eyelid line look messy (for lack of a better word) where the incision was, there is a second plane of my eyelid now (not just a crease) and an awkward/obvious scar line that pulls from my middle lid down to the corner of my eye. There is also a tiny bit too much fat left in there, so it puckers every so slightly, and a very subtle uplift of my eyelashes, so the underside of my eyelid beneath my eyelashes is every so slightly more visible than the other one now.

I am upset and self-conscious about the unnatural appearance of all of this every day.

I would really like to talk to a surgeon who can give me some objective feedback about my options. I know surgeons generally promote more surgery, but I am hoping someone can give me a truly objective assessment as to whether surgery can improve how this looks or if this is as good as it is going to get. As you might imagine, I am very worried about making it worse, or changing my eyes even more so they "appear" like I've "had some work done." I don't want the plastic cat lady eyes, stretched back and obviously not natural. My wish is there is way to just make this better and I have to believe that if I were a Hollywood celebrity or someone in an accident, there would be surgeons with the skills to make my eye look normal again.

I look forward to your thoughts.
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

I was referred by my dermatologist, a respected doctor at the Polyclinic. I should have researched the risks more. Everyone convinced me it was an easy, routine surgery, but it doesn't take much to make it not so great. Millimeters. The slightest mistake in incision line, imperfect healing of skin, scar line or pucker of fat makes a big difference to one of the most visible and personal places -- your eyes.