Male Varicose Vein Laser Treatment - Seattle

Men with varicose veins

I am a guy who inherited varicose veins from his mother. Great. For a long time (up until my 30s) I lived with it, wearing long shorts to cover the bulging veins in my left leg. Eventually I grew tired of hiding it and decided to get a consultation to see what could be done, whether insurance would cover the procedure.

The first Seattle vein doctor at Swedish Hospital was less than helpful on the insurance front. They asked if I was "wearing hose" which most men I assume would respond negatively to. I said yes, just to help along the insurance claim. I actually had to look up on the web what are hose (they're basically the high compression socks your grandfather wore, but really expensive). Then, I never heard back from the office. I called months later, and found that they really had no clue about my desire to get insurance coverage.

That was enough to kick me off the idea of getting the veins treated. A year or so later I was told about Dr. P. That inspired me to try once again to fix the problem. After doing the obligatory ultrasound, I was told that I indeed had severe varicosity in the legs and cosmetic work would help for the numerous related vascularity, like spider veins on my feet, veins on my ankle.

The surgery day was actually quite nerve wracking before I took 2 Valium (prescribed by the doc) just prior to the drive to their offices. I pretty much passed out during the surgery, thank god, but woke up at one point to see the doctor repeatedly injecting me with sclerosing agent. The pain was only on my hip pointer. Keeping my leg opened to the side led to cramping. Eventually, I was done, ate a bagel, and headed home. The recovery has been slow. The pain was minimal in recovery, but signs of surgery such as the incision points are still visible. Yet, nearly a year later, I have to say, it's pretty amazing the before-and-after. I've attached pics the doctor gave me after my last followup appointment.

Oh, and insurance did cover the medical nature of the procedure (over $6K) and I paid out of pocket for cosmetic work (~$1200). I think I still need more work done, but I've really grown in confidence, wearing shorts again, showing my bare feat, and enjoying my less-veiny life.

My one piece of advice is to avoid the hack clinics out there that don't have vascular surgeons. Dr. P is over $300/hour. So doctor selling services under $100/hr is likely underqualified, inexperienced.

Adding my ratings of the doctor

Adding my ratings of the doctor

I've gone back to the doctor for additional...

I've gone back to the doctor for additional sclerotheraphy injections. Will post a new review when I get the pics back in another several weeks.

I forgot to come back and reference my other post...

I forgot to come back and reference my other post regarding injections to remove additional varicosity and spider veins. It's here: http://www.realself.com/review/asclera-spider-veins-bellevue

As mentioned in my comment below, I remain really happy with the results. No new signs of vericose veins, just a some broken capillaries here and there.
Bellevue General Surgeon

He's a highly experienced vascular specialist, recognized as a top vascular surgeon. He's ethical and gives you a ton of time pre- and post- procedure. He's expensive, but I'm a believer that you get what you pay for in medical care. He runs a bit late so I recommend you always call ahead of appointments to make sure you're not waiting for a long time.