No Down Time or Annoyance of Peeling.....results..? - Scottsdale, AZ

1064 Yag laser used-I have had a hormonally...

1064 Yag laser used-I have had a hormonally tumultuous year and my skin has suffered like never before. I have never had acne issues until almost literally when I turned 30:( I have tried everything and the only thing that gets rid of my existing acne is Clearasil spot treatment (10% benzoyl peroxide) which causes lots of peeling and unfortunately, lots of scars. My scars are red and dark and I have them for months.

So after many failed attempts at finding a topical product (retinol, tretinoin, niacinimide...) that doesn't make my skin break out more, I decided to try this laser facial. It was really easy, took about 20 minutes. It was a lot of short hot pulses on my skin and it smelled like burnt hair (ick). I was pink in a few spots but other than that, I did not look like I had anything done to my face afterwards.

One of my inflamed spots turned into a fluid filled pimple that was slightly painful and remains red 24 hours later. I am told this is not uncommon and that I should see results in a few days with no peeling. Also, a series of treatments would produce more results. Here is info from the website about my treatment: "The laserfacial works by focusing a beam of light to a target in the skin such as enlarged blood vessels and irregular chromophores. The enlarged vessels and irregularities are removed without scarring or damage to the treated or surrounding area." Now is the hard part...waiting... ...to be continued...

Today is 5 days after the facial and I am...

Today is 5 days after the facial and I am disappointed. Yesterday I woke up to some new breakouts on my right cheek despite being told the laser facial would shut down my sebaceous glands (oil)and that I should start seeing results in a few days. As usual, the pimples are large, swollen and red. I am starting to think that nothing will help my skin :(

It has been about 3 weeks and my skin looks better...

It has been about 3 weeks and my skin looks better as far as new breakouts but have been using a mild acne system that may be contributing to that as well. Scars look about the same I think. Was recommended to get a laser facial every 4 weeks but may try IPL instead...

Ultra Smooth Skin

Did your laser tech say it was alright to use makeup within a few days of your treatment? I find that surprising!!
Hi Scottsdale, Please check my review about acne. I do believe the two creams I used helped me not only to clear my acne but eliminate . The whitening cream is amazing. I initially bought it to help me with TT scar fading and decided to used later on my face. I wish it will help you as much did for me. You are gorgeous.  I've read all your reviews and I love them all. BTW I don't sell any products, I just wanted to help you as much you help us ;)
Aw thanks!  I haven't had the bad acne like I had when I was 30, now it is just isolated to little bumps on my forehead like I have clogged pores all the time there.  I can't for the life of me figure out any product that may be causing it and nothing seems to help. I may be too dark to use whitening cream (I do use spot correcting serums with vitamin C on my cheeks for past acne scars and a few sunspots).  I used to use some benz peroxide cream on my acne when it was all over and that is what I have scars from now :(
I too began breaking out as I approached my 30's. I never had acne as a teen and the onset of adult acne was mentally grueling. I tried many OTC products with no help. Eventually I began looking for more natural ways via the internet and came across a book called "Absolute Beauty". It just so happened that the author had a salon in NYC so I set up an appointment. She had a holistic approach-having me change what I eat, my breathing technique, plus using her products and having an acne facial. All I can say is that it worked beautifully. It's now 14 years later--I'm 43 and still use her products and go for a facial once or twice a year. Her products are pricey-but they last, they are all natural, and they work. You don't need to buy anything but the acne soothing lotion and the face cleanser that fits your type (there are 3 categories you can fall into based on skin type). Google Pratima Skincare and her exact web address should come up. Good luck.
Btw...I just read a post recommending Accutane--please don't!! I've known too many young ladies who've taken it and suffer from major, MAJOR mood swings, emotional outbreaks and even others who have difficulty getting pregnant. Avoid any drugs-as it will cause other long lasting issues.

Just to try to bring a little balance, I think its worth noting that while Accutane is a very serious medication, and definitely not the right choice for everyone, it currently has a 81% Worth It Rating based on 215 reviews written by other RealSelfers.

Here is some info about pregnancy following use:

Studies on Pregnancies After Accutane Use?

How Long After Stopping Accutane Should You Wait Before Getting Pregnant?

I agree, each individual's situation and reactions to meds vary, you really have to decide with your doctor if the side affects outweigh the benefits for you as with any medication.
I have suffered from acne since the age of 13 (I'm 27 now) and my skin has improved vastly from using MD formulation products. I use the cleanser with gycolic acid every morning and evening and I use a clean flannel to gently wipe it off. I also use MD formulation moisture defense moisturiser before applying make up but I don't use anything else in the evening. My skin is virtually pimple free. Hope this helps.
Dear Scottsdale1247,

Something that has helped me in the past was the Master Cleanse. I went very light on the cayenne pepper (nearly none, because it is an irritant) and doubled the lemon juice, while reducing the amount of sugar (in the form of maple syrup). I don't know if it was the massive dose of Vitamin C, or the fact that I didn't ingest any more crap, while allowing my system to clear out, but it totally cleared my skin.
Caveat: drink it through a straw, all that lemon juice is not good for your tooth enamel if swished around every day.
Good luck!
PS. Oh, and you might want to give your skin a complete break while doing the cleanse- no products, no touching it with your fingers (or letting others touch it), making sure that your sheets/pillowcase are always clean and washed with a natural/hypoallergenic detergent, same for your towels.
Oh yeah, you can get the witch hazel at Wal-Mart. They have the Dickson's brand and the off-brand. I'm pretty sure it's the exact same product, so I always go with the off-brand. I don't know if they carry the ScarzoneA there or not, but I usually get mine off Amazon using the Subscribe and Save which you can cancel at anytime.
Oops, I meant *Dickinson's.

I have tried witch hazel and it doesn't hurt my skin but doesnt improve it either.  I need to get my vitalize peels again regularly but I hate peeling and sloughing for a week and a half!  it drives me insane to have dry patches and flakes and makes me want to pick it off obsessively lol!
Scottsdale1247, are you sure you tried everything? ;o)

What about using a natural skin astringent such as witch hazel and following it up with Scar ZoneA Acne cream? I think that should do the job for you, if you have not tried it yet.
Have tried witch hazel with not much negative reaction but not much positive either. I have stopped using benzoyl peroxide which was to harsh on my skin and leaving really bad scarring after prolonged over drying of the pimple. I have still been using the Olay Acne Protocol which only has mild salycilic acid lotion and wash at low percentages (wash has 1.8%, treatment lotion is 1.5%). So far this has been the best thing as it doesn't make any new acne larger and inflamed and it seems to heal quickly. I know that part of my skin issues stem from what I have been through this past yr or so (blephs and 3 breast revisions) with the antibiotics and stuff. I hope that this year will be a good skin year :)

Thanks for the update! You mentioned you were trying a mild acne system, do you mind me asking which one?

Well, my sensitive skin forces me to use some drug store products bc they aren't as strong as some of the professional stuff. The latest regimen I've been using is the Olay acne protocol system and just started using Cetaphil Dermacontrol Oil Control Moisturizer (spf30), which I hope is good. I tried the Neutrogena Ultra gentle soothing lotion for Sensitive skin and I think it made my acne worse! I am hesitant to try a new product for my acne scars and spots bc then my skin will just get inflamed again:( I am really anxious to try an IPL facial.

I know what you mean about being hesitant to try new products - doesn't it always feel like a risk? It's like, "Am I going to break out huge from this, or will this be the magic product I've been waiting for?" ;)

I just recently started using Olay Complete Moisturizer & love it, so you might give it a try if you don't end up liking the Cetaphil one. I was using the Laura Mercier moisturizer before that, but at $100 a bottle that seemed a bit ridiculous to me!

I've been using the Cetaphil wash for years. Every time I try something new, I always revert back to the Cetaphil sooner or later.

Let me know how you are liking the Olay Acne Protocol - would love to hear how it works for you!!

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Have you used Obagi products before?
Yes I have-the trentinoin .05%. I know that using retin-a products are an important part of anti-aging topical treatment and have tried a bunch, Skin Medica's retinol, Nuetrogena rapid night repair lotion, even ROC's sensitive skin version. I have yet to try Origin's plantscriptions line which I have read works without the irritaion. I am currently just using Cerave night moisturizer at night to try to let my skin have a break before I try a new regimen that will likey make it upset again.
Hey Scottsdale,
It sounds like what you had done was a comparison to what we do in our Med Spa here in Boise called Laser Genesis. The LG treatment is a very effective treatment over time and over numerous treatments. It is very helpful for Rosacea, pore size and helping you to rebuild collagen by penetrating to the second layer of the dermis. However your instant results are very subtle and again become better with numerous results ie 6 or so. If you are wanting to remove scaring, or brown spots or sun damage you may have been a better candidate for an IPL or Intense/Intelligent Pulsed Light treatment. It is a very effective treatment however there is some pain as it is much more intense and there is also some down time of a day or two. All that said for scaring I would have actually recommended a chemical peel more than likely. If you aren't able to get your acne to clear with the topical's your best bet is a trip to the dermatologist as you said acne is so hormonal that if you don't get that balanced out nothing topical you do will keep them gone... hope that was helpful!
I have been interested in getting the IPL treatment done so that may be my next venture. I was getting Vitalize peels regularly but I find that the peeling lasts for a good week and a half at minimum for me and besides that being inconvenient, I don't need anything else to fuel the picking of my face! My acne takes forever to heal and eventually slough away the dryness as it is! I don't have the downtime to get a good laser treatment from my plastic surgeon that I know works (have had the encore treatment done) so I just need to get through the next few months. After April, the slow season starts to settle in around this area and I will for sure get that done. As far as hormones go, I don't know that there is much that can be done. From what I here, it is common for them to change when you enter your 30's :(

Oh my gosh :( I'm so sorry to hear. I can't remember if we've talked about this, but have you tried Retin-A? I'm using it & clindamycin lotion & it has totally cleared my skin. You will have to go to a doctor to get prescriptions for them, and it definitely got worse before it got better, but I feel totally comfortable going to the gym without make-up now, which I never did before. (Ok, ok, I still do a quick swipe of mascara - girly girl to the core.) Oh, and one other thing I found that works to clear up my pimples, and I'm sure a dermatologist would hang me for this, but I would dip a q-tip in rubbing alcohol & touch it to the blemish...occasionally I would even swipe my back with an alcohol soaked cotton pad. Like I said, probably not the advice a derm would give, but it works & I know the desperate, I just need this stuff gone feeling.

Sorry to hear you are having to deal with acne issues. I've dealt with them my whole life so I certainly have sympathy for you!

I'm so interested to see what happens in the next few days following your treatment - can't wait to hear!!

So after a few days, I was thinking maybe my skin looked a tiny bit better but it was wishful thinking. While my left side seems ok, my right cheek is clearly inflamed with new breakouts. Back to the drawing board I guess (overdrying Clearisil)!