Worth the Wait-Takes Longer to Go into Effect than Dysport - Scottsdale, AZ

When I was a kid, I thought it was fun to be able...

When I was a kid, I thought it was fun to be able to move my eyebrows separately because of my brow muscles. Then in my late 20's, the "11's" appeared. Not so fun.

I'm talking about the wrinkles in between your brows you make when you get mad - and botox is awesome to eliminate them. My first time after botox, I waited impatiently for 3 days for it to take effect but when it did I could not stop admiring the incredibly smooth plane of my forehead-and I was hooked! In fact, I can't find any good pre-botox pics. It made more of a difference than I thought it would! I just do little amounts and also some in my upper forehead, it is minimal pain. Just a few quick pricks then some temporary swelling. It could be my imagination but I think I feel more tired than usual on the day I get injected. I work out a lot so I guess I process it faster than normal. I find that I need touch ups about every 2 months.

After I had my wisdom teeth pulled in 2010, I had...

After I had my wisdom teeth pulled in 2010, I had noticed that my jaws looked so squared and bulky afterwards. I had heard about botox helping with this bulkiness by preventing the "clenching" action. When I asked Dr. Holden about it, he said he has seen it greatly improve this issue with continuous treatment. He carefully injected 15 units into each side. This is an area I would only recommend a facial specialist do since you have to hit certain jaw muscles. He did it in the perfect spot as always and I love the results! The first week they bulked out awkwardly because of the muscle being so thick, the botox starts working differently then on the rest of your face. I wasn't sure that it would help that much but I notice a huge difference, it totally worked!

So a few days after the botox started working in...

So a few days after the botox started working in my jaw muscles, I noticed one side was protruding a bit more than the other when I bit down and was still able to clench slightly so I had 10 more units and it was just the right amount. Not sure how long it will last in comparison to my forehead but will let you know when I figure that out!

I noticed the last few days when I woke up, I was...

I noticed the last few days when I woke up, I was clenching my jaw enough to feel some strain, guess it's time for a touch up! I figured the jaw muscles would need more bc they are bigger anyways-surprised it lasted this long...about 2 months (including the touch up shortly after initial injections though).
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Was going to a nurse practioner which was alright but then I met Dr. Holden. His specialized and very extensive knowledge of the facial muscles proved to give me much more precise and accurate injections. Never have any unwanted muscle movements after he injects me (which I have had happen to me in the past). Besides that, he is just a great and caring doctor. With him, your face is in excellent hands!

do you think the jaw botox was worth it?? did it make your face look slimmer?
It really was! by keeping me from my habitual grinding day and night, the muscles appear less bulky from less use.  I notice a HUGE difference in my before and after pics that I take now.  Also it is obviously better for my teeth plus I don't wake up with the tension on my temples from feeling like I was chewing gum the entire time I was sleeping lol.   It hardly even hurts either!
Hi there, I am wondering if you are still getting these injections and if so could you recommend someone in the area? Thanks!
hey again! sorry, I really appreciate all your replies just because I somewhat look like you. (I'm half filipina and we share similar features) how much botox do you put in ur jawline? and can insurance cover it since it is due to grinding?
Thanks for the support, Kimmers. Periodically ppl will comment in an attcking way but it's nice when they don't get a nasty defensive reaction they expected and realize that this isn't that type of site. We could all learn a thing or two trying to put ourselves in someone else's shoes!
its good to have your own opinion but also good to present it in a wise manner. We really try to emphasize the feeling safe and free from common negative judgements here for ppl to learn about something they may be considering, it can be scary going through it alone or blindly when you're trying to make decisions that could change the way you feel for the rest of your life! Yes, there are drs that take the salesman approach over the compassionate, caring, doctor-with-the power-to-help-ppl role but I think they are the minority. It takes them crazy dedication and YRS just to achieve their dr status so its hard to believe that there would be many with only goals of only monetary gain. And really you will have a few bad apples in any profession, it's just a fact of life. If you didn't notice, I have 1 dr that I trust immensely who does my facial work, surgery is not work for him, I believe it's his passion and know his top priority is the needs of his patients, not figuring out a profit margin. You don't need to be cynical about drs, hopefully ppl do their research, go to multiple consults, ask friends for referrals, and spend some time on Realself so they are full of knowledge when they make their decisions. The statement "knowledge is power" is certainly is true. You will only get taken advantage of if you allow yourself to- these are elective choices, no matter what a dr may suggest, ultimately it is up to you how much or how little you want done.

As far as the wisdom goes, more wrinkles does not equate to more wisdom!! Trust me, I've met many wrinkly faces that have traits that are far from wise! What you say and what you do goes much further in the showing your wisdom issue. I think its pretty hard to gauge that characteristic purely from the physical appearance. Bone structure is certainly the frame or base for your face-no matter what I do to my skin or lips though it is not going to change that. I am enhancing not doing major overhauls.
sorry you know I don't know what was up my a$$ last night I don't know how to delete it because that was really rude, and you took my b*tch a$$ness very gracefully! I do think you are very attractive, but plastic surgeons are gonna tell you whatever to get your money. I'm just saying there is beauty in age, of course you don't want to look tired all the time or like you're 40 when you're 30, but the natural wisdom on a woman's face, and being able to see your natural characterisitcs is truely beautiful. You can do whatever you want, but I think you have great bone structure and would hate to see someone ruin their looks over feelings they have that no one else sees is all.
Alex, also, I see that you are a lucky 24 years young-enjoy it bc it goes by fast and when you enter your 30's you may understand a little more about maintenance for the beginning signs of aging. I never even thought about botox or fillers at your age- shoot, I didn't even need to wear foundation or undereye concealer!! (Ahh... the benefits of youth we under appreciate lol). I wish I had been taking better care of my skin now though!

Your beautiful girl and there is nothing wrong with self improvement:)

Thanks for your opinion, I need touch ups bc I don't get much to begin with (15-20 units) in my brow area and it wears off that quick for me. Lol my eyes are not frozen, I only have it between my brows to prevent the furrowing and upper forehead, I can still move my brows. If you read more about botox, you would read about the variances in the lasting effect of it for each individual. I hope you read some more stories others have shared, this site is for support and sharing and not focusing on criticism based on one's unique opinion. I don't "need" to do anything except whatever makes me happy to do. There will always be ppl that think that they are the judge and the jury and one way or the other is the "right" way and you certainly cannot please everyone or try to. I like the results I have gotten from my enhancements and am certainly not trying for an all natural look, I am just ME:) ! I hope you find some happiness in whatever you like in life and get some more positive outlooks from possibly being a little open minded..
You look too overdone, I couldn't imagine why you'd need touch ups every 2 months, or disproportionate boobs, or eyes that look frozen. You seriously need to cut back on the procedures because you are losing what little left you have of any natural beauty.

Alex

This is a supportive community and I feel your comments were harsh.  You are welcome to your opinion, but ultimately we're here to be supportive of each other.  No judging, criticism or name calling will be tolerated.    Please review the Community Guidelines.

I do touch ups bc I like to maintain the results rather than wait until the results are completely gone and then all of a sudden get a "refresher".  It is more subtle for me if just get a little when I notice some unwanted wrinkles instead of  getting a lot and having the frozen look you mentioned (which I don't get by doing just a little bit at a time).  Your opinion of what a person needs and doesn't need is just that...How can we possibly judge in black and white what another person needs?  Beauty comes in many forms, not just the natural look :)   I enjoy enhancing what I have and believe it or not , enjoy not having to wear much makeup bc of the enhancements that I have gotten!
Just wondering how many units did you have in your forehead. I'm in my late 20's and just started to notice the 11's.
nikkii, I was in my late 20's when I fist noticed them too and for my first facial cosmetic enhancement which ended up being about 15 units of botox for my "11's" between my brows. I was really nervous thinking ppl would know I had it but it isn't instant and it's a very subtle amount. I had a horrible mad face bc my brow muscles are so strong so I am glad to be rid of that! Eventually, I started getting about 15-20 units in my upper forehead as well. It is pretty low maintenance and affordable. Also, since I have consistently kept that area from being able to wrinkle, it has somewhat smoothed out over time. So it's a win-win:)
I think it has nearly eliminated it, too bad I didn't know about it sooner though, I have areas on my teeth where you can see the results of the grinding! -I hear there is a topical botox cream in the works but don't think the results are nearly as strong.

Glad you were able to get the touch-up you need so things would look/feel symmetrical. Will be interested to hear how it affects your teeth grinding!!

Thanks for posting the pictures, I can definitely see the difference you are talking about. Has it felt any different when you chew or drink?

No, not at all! You would think that it would but my doctor carefully targeted just the muscles that bulge out a little bit by feeling the corners of my jaw when I made a clenching action so the appropriate muscles were injected so chewing wasn't affected. The only thing I noticed was my jaw jutting out awkwardly for a few days while the botox was kicking in. As another positive effect of the botox, I have noticed that I clench and grind my teeth less during the day so I would assume that it has also helped my night grinding (that is starting to really wear down my enamel).

That's a great side effect! I'm a night time teeth grinder too, so I hear you about how much it can wear down the enamel.

Hi Scottsdale,

The Botox looks great and you are very pretty, I'm glad it worked out so well. You probably are more tired on days you have had Botox. A number of community members mention the same thing. I know you had a positive experience which is awesome, but here is some info in our forum "Flu like Symptoms after Botox" where they mention being tired after.

Thanks so much!

Hi Britt,

I noticed the tiredness more when I first started getting the Botox. I have probably gotten used to it because the tiredness is slight now and plus I get it in such small increments at a time (anywhere from 10-20 units). Either way, it's way worth it and would never deter me from getting it. The swelling is minimal now that I go to a facial plastic surgeon and I get very accurately placed and precise shots. You can tell when you get a not-so-accurate injection-with previous injectors, I would sometimes leave the office with HUGE swollen knots on my forehead!!

Oh wow, I can't believe you were brave enough to keep getting Botox after the huge swollen knots! I think I would have gotten scared off from it.

You mentioned in your review that you think you process it faster due to working out. I work out also, and had no idea that affected how long the Botox would last.

Well, I have my facial plastic surgeon do it now and I have 100% trust in him and I know he has the expertise to do it accurately. I have never experienced knots like that from botox, they were pretty large but did subside after a few hours. I get fillers without numbing so I have gotten kind of used to it but it still hurts!

I had no idea either about things that affect how fast your body processes fillers and botox. It's hard to give an amount of time because every individual is different. Also depends on how much one likes to maintain the appearance that they get these injections for. I am pretty obsessive about keeping up with my routines. I just got touched up w botox yesterday bc I had noticed a little movement between my brows and I prefer that there are absolutely no wrinkles in my forehead. Keeps people from seeing my "furrowed" or mad look which is not that flattering or attractive lol.

Glad to hear you are with a good plastic surgeon now! We sound a bit alike, I tend to be somewhat obsessive with my routines as well, haha!

Glad you are having good results from the injections - keep us posted from time to time, always nice to hear how things are going in the long run. :)