52 and Loving It... - Scottsdale, AZ

I am 52 years old, have two grown kids and 6...

I am 52 years old, have two grown kids and 6 grandkids. I've recently moved to a new area and broken up with an true idiot so I decided to start over. In 1998 I had a breast reduction and I must say... It made me incredibly happy. I went to my PS after a few consultations, chose him and decided to go all out... Arm Lift, Lipo, and TT. I have left bundle branch block which means my heart doesn't fire correctly. I had to have clearance from my cardiologist as well as blood work etc. I had a echo cardio gram and a nuclear stress test and was so happy to hear I am cleared! Surgery is August 12. Sooo close!

Reactions

I have found it quite interesting to hear reactions of friends or family when I've told them what I've signed on to do. Some supportive, some act supportive and talk behind your back and some just say crap to your face. It's not easy to explain to some people why this is so important but at first I tried... I told them about my breast reduction and how all the sudden I could wear cute bras ( or no bra! ) and my shirts fit better. It was a big difference in how I saw myself. Heavy, saggy breasts were not pretty to me or on me. I've wanted an arm lift forever. My arms feel huge to me. I wear jackets and sweaters and I kid myself into thinking that hides them but if someone snaps of picture of me... My huge arms are the first thing I see and I feel like I look like a line backer. I see other people wearing sleeveless dresses or shirts and they have large arms and I never think a bad thing about them. Ever. Yet people have hinted to me about lifting weights or arms the size of thighs. Uh those comments stick around and are not likely forgotten. My tummy isn't huge but it isn't pretty either. Is anyone gonna see it? Yep. Me!! I am all that matters and my happiness is not depending on this surgery. I am a happy person. I am not vain. I just want what I want. I walk, ride my bike and I do weight resistant work outs... Nothing is going to fix saggy skin and muscles in my tummy that are beyond help from a gym... So I began to think why do I work out? Yah I feel better and I look better in my clothes but my body just doesn't look like it's responding when I see it naked. And u know what? I want the outside of me to match the inside of me. So when someone tells me they want me happy but fear this won't be enough... That hurts. I didn't respond ( it was sent in a text ) but I easily could have in a mean hurtful way. Why be like that? I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting mixed messages. Do you feel you need to be defensive on this subject? I'm sure some of my family are going on and on about my spending money like this... Oh well. When I went to see the surgeon I chose for my surgery... Part of my consultation he drew all over me like he will the day of my surgery. He showed me what he can do and he pulled and lifted my skin to show me what I will look like... ( kind of like we all have done standing naked in front of the mirror pulling skin ---dreaming! ). I was excited and so thrilled to see it could happen. The date I was given was closer than I thought it would be and I dove on it! I'm not sorry for wanting this. I hope everyone on this site knows they deserve to have their outside match their inside! I've read so many stories on here and I appreciate each and every person that has shared their journey. It lets us know we are not alone and we are not selfish.

Yikes!!

Here at a few photos and boy these would have cinched my decision if I had any doubts! I go in next week for my pre op appt. The surgeon office called to go over my times and little things. I was surprised she told me I can't have acrylic nails! OMG. I would almost rather shave my head than pull those off! Anyone else told that? I was thinking I would have a mani/pedi before the big day and at least something would look good... But no! Oh well.

Well that's done!

I went to my pre op appt the other day and signed all my paperwork. I was given some items to take home, copies of the paperwork, all my prescriptions and was given a list of items needed for recovery. There were not too many items in that list just peroxide, q-tips, bactracin zinc cream and gauze pads. All my garments are included in my cost and will be given to me as needed. I don't take any medications and I never take vitamins so I asked if I needed vitamins since I've seen so many people post they were taking them and I was told if I don't take them now I really didn't need them. That's good cause I was given 5 prescriptions! To me that's a ton of meds... And I laughed cause the side effect to the anti naseaua med is vomiting! I was weighed and all the dreaded photos were taken... So I'm feeling pretty set! My sister went with me to the appt and since she will e my caregiver she was shown a few things and asked all her questions. She was worried about the drains and they showed her how it will work. They told us they only put in one drain for the tummy tuck and a pain pump. They will both go inside a fanny pack I will wear so I can shower 48 hrs after surgery which surprised me. Understanding the drains, seeing one and learning how to empty them made my sister feel better too. I will have my grandkids visiting with me the week before my surgery so that should keep me busy and make my week go fast. I must say I enjoy reading everyone's journey and learning about all the different procedures. Thanks to everyone for being brave and posting the pictures pre and post. It all helps with questions, anxiety and the unknown. Looking at before and after pics on a surgeons page is one thing but seeing the ones posted here and learning their path makes it real. Keep 'em coming!
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon

Yea for you and your decision! I am scheduled for August 11th! I am so excited - telling everybody I know about it! LOL. Having a TT and BL with lipo to flanks. Yes, I am nervous. Some people have told me the same "you don't need a tummy tuck or a breast lift". But how would they know? I don't NEED them. I WANT them. And I am paying all on my own (I am divorced) and I know that I will feel so much better about myself when I am all done. My kids are supportive and my best friend is going to let me stay with him and take care of me until I can come home and take care of myself. (He offered! I warned him what he was getting into but he is a great friend and willing....both of my kids are grown and gone and can't get away to come home...so he is it! Very funny guy....told him he can't make me laugh!) Anyhow, I look forward to watching your journey and will be right there with ya! Life is short - be happy!
Well, I'm fortunate in that two of my friends have already had TTs so they are very helpful and supportive. But, to those who say "you don't need a TT!" I simply reply "you haven't seen me naked". So far nobody wants to take me up on that visual! But seriously, nobody "needs" plastic surgery- it's ELECTIVE- we elect to do it to feel better about whatever body part we're fixing. So I guess some women think improving their looks is vain- do they keep their gray hairs, or dye- do they wear makeup??- do they whiten their teeth?? wear padded bras? or a minimizer? spanx??the list goes on and one. We all want to look and feel better, and do different things to achieve that. The list also gets longer as we get older, so much of these examples are lost on the young girls, but give them a few years and they'll get it. That said, there are many people I'm just not gonna tell, because it's none of their business!! Anyway, I'm about 11 days ahead of you so we can just support each other :-)
Boy you are so right on with all the things everyone ... Male or female do to look better! It sounds like you are all ready to go! I can't wait to hear about it! Your before pic looks great.. you are gonna have awesome results!!!
I agree with the others. My grown kids were all wonderful and said "You don't really need this, Mom, you're already beautiful. But if it is important to YOU, then we are behind you 100%". I can't ask more than that...let's face it, our kids worry every day we might die so they don't want us to do anything to increase that risk. And I think I am EXACTLY the same about them. When my 19 yr old son wanted to go to Africa and tour with a friend I wanted him to have what he wanted but from my standpoint I DESPARATELY did not want him to go! It's the same thing. Rare to find a loved one who isn't worried about us.... but absolutely no one but we ourselves can know what we need. Your "friend" who texted that odd message? Here's what I would do: call her and say you didn't quite understand what she meant. (I actually don't-- unless she is suggesting you are always depressed and "nothing will make me happy" in which case I would tell her she is NOT a friend and never give her another thought.) If she says, "Well, you think a TT will relieve all your problems" then say, "Why on earth would you think that is what I have in mind?? I have overly large arms and belly. I am fit and have done the right things, but this INHERITED part of my physique makes me look --- whatever you feel, if you want to share with this nosy person --- and I feel certain that just a few things like this will really enable me to totally forget myself and take care of others, as I always have loved doing." Let's see if she has an answer for THAT!!!!! Quite seriously, I HAVE told a few people that my belly and thighs are an inherited trait and they plagued my poor mum her whole life. When she was starving during WWII in England she only weighed 85 lbs and did not have the problem. Likewise, when I was 20 I weighed 96 lbs. (too small for both of us.) But pregnancy and turning 30 changed everything for both of us. The weight went to arms, thighs, and belly. As she aged she again lost ALL EXTRA WEIGHT (116 lbs) but the tummy, flabby thighs and arms remained. So I don't need to work out at a gym and drop 50 lbs to discover, "Darn, all that miserable fat, sloppy tissue in my thighs and belly and arms is still there!" I already KNOW!! And MY SELF IMAGE is affected. MY SELF -- that's who, and I don't believe the majority of people want to THINK they are judging me for being overweight, but quite frankly, they are. I still say so what? The so what? is ME, MYSELF and I. I only wish I could have given this gift to my mum.... You go girl and get it done! You'll LOVE the new you, and hopefully you will find supportive friends who don't care what you look like, and allow you to be the whole, real, person you are. The rest can go and whisper in a corner. I am not ashamed of needing lipo and TT -- it IS GENETIC and there are a helluva lot of genes for which I am very very grateful. But some CAN be altered sufficiently that it does not have to color every single event I go to, that I don't have to DREAD every morning finding clothes that "flatter" me. I'm proud of you and I think you are going to find a HUGE MAJORITY of people on this site who recognize WHY WE ARE DOING THIS and that it is NOT because we will look like Marilyn Monroe or Halle Berry or all the beauties on TV and the movies. It is because we want to please our inner selves, so that then we can FORGET about ourselves and think of others, as God intended us to do. (imo anyway.) xo Maggie
Thanks Maggie! You hit many points and you are so correct. I think it just threw me cause the person that made that comment was someone who was going to help care for me. I think a little jealousy set in as she maybe didnt think I would be cleared because of my heart condition. I don't really know but it doesn't matter if she thinks that about me... Cause I know the truth. I know what I see and what I feel and I am so happy to have this opportunity. I had the money and the time off work and it all worked out. Even my cardiologist was excited for me! Ha!
Thank you so much for those comments! You are an inspiration and very beautiful! Tears came to my eyes as you poured out to us and I know exactly how you must have felt. You are right, it's not vanity. Stay strong, stay beautiful!
You guys are awesome! I am so excited and extra happy to have stumbled into this site. It's just what I needed!
Nobody feels your frustration everytime you look in the mirror. If they talk behind your back, then there is where they belong, just behind your back and you are one step or even strides ahead of them when it comes to happiness. I felt the guilt when i decided to do it but after reading the reviews here, i told myself, it's now or never, we're not getting any younger!!! . if i listen to what other people are saying, i wont be able to do it. It's my happiness that is at stake here, not theirs. Go for it! we are here to support each other. Mine is on the 7th of August. lol ;)
Ohhhh we r gonna be in the same boat at the same time!!!
It's your money & your life & your decision! Anyone who is not being supportive is just not a very nice person. What's the point in being mean? Best wishes with your surgery & with your new body. I'm sure you will look amazing! Also congrats on getting rid of the idiot.
Love your reply, dsrtflwr!!!!
Thank you much and you made me giggle... He really was an idiot!
Thanks! You're so sweet. Love yours too, well said!
Congrats on ur decision. N remember u don't have to justify ur decision, it's ur time to be happy n ur doing this for Urself so let them talk.
You are so right!! Thanks for reminding me of that!
Ur cross over is in less then a month!!!!!! Make sure to keep us posted. Prayers
So happy for you and looking forward to pictures! You will be fine. It is not always easy making this decision but know you have a terrific support group on RS!