Incredible Doctor - Scottsdale, AZ

I had upper bleph and also lower transconjuctival...

I had upper bleph and also lower transconjuctival bleph done. It has only been 16 days post op and I am very happy. My eyes look more alive and open. I have more swelling time ahead of me but everyday gets a little better.

The day after was the hardest, my eyes were almost swollen shut and my tears were tinted red. The first few days are definitely tough (get some audio books!) but once the major swelling goes down, its gets better quick.

I never needed anything stronger than tylenol for pain but I definitely utilized Ambien (your eyes are crazy dry and irritated) and Valium (even though you can prepare yourself, its hard to see your own face like that!).

If I had to do it all over again, I would have done this surgery years ago to fix my heavy lids (they were also not symmetric). I was lucky to have found the best doctor too. He was having some special opening prices when I had my procedures done but I would have picked him regardless. It was worth it and then some!

Over 5 months post op and have had a few minor...

Over 5 months post op and have had a few minor modifications to my creases. Healing and swelling is a slow process and my doc didn't want to rush things before I had time to heal further. I need to learn to be patient! Had some scar tissue inside lower lid lasered (OWWW!). Dr. Holden has been great with doing my requested alterations gradually to give me the results I want in a way that is beneficial and healthiest for me(I am a perfectionist!). Lower inside lids still healing possibly. I get a lot of discharge from my eyes still but it is also allergy season. Things are looking good through my "new eyes", I may seek a little lid tightening in the future...btw, he is great with botox and fillers as well! He definetly has more of an artistic eye for it than my past injectors.

6 months post op, lower lids have gotten slightly...

6 months post op, lower lids have gotten slightly better as far as discharge production. One thing I did notice, I went out last wknd and drank for the first time in over 6 months. Just had a few drinks but the next day my upper lids were really puffy and stayed that way all day :( luckily I don't drink much anymore! Going soon to see about tightening lids with some laser resurfacing. I just have this strip of fat above each eyelash line, wish I could get some micro lipo on them or something. We'll see what the dr. says...

Had upper eyelids lasered about 2 weeks ago to...

Had upper eyelids lasered about 2 weeks ago to tighten some of the skin. They were crazy swollen for 2 days. But when they heal, you you have really delicate fresh baby skin. I love it, wish I could do my whole face! The skin tightens over time from lasering as I understand but it already seems a little better and it seems to have made my eyes look a little more symmetrical. Don't ask me why. The aquaphor I was using to keep them lubriucated started to make them itch and get inflamed the last few days so I stopped using it per Dr's instructions. They are still a little pink but am happy with the choice to laser them.

One year post op and I am happy with my decision...

One year post op and I am happy with my decision to go through with this surgery. My right eye is still a little resistant because it had the most change to it without cutting the epicanthal fold and continues to want to crease below my new crease which is something I hope to get "tucked" in hopefully soon. It is bothersome to me but likely only because I am a perfectionist and I have to look at it all the time. Although my doctor doesn't think it is necessary, I believe I may need a little tightening further in toward my right epicanthal. My new crease is just a tiny bit too high for the angle of my right eye's inner corner. I did notice that the skin around my eyes seems persistly dry and slightly flaky so I always need nightly eye creams/moisturizer. Love not having to wear eye makeup though which I never was confident enough to do before my blepharoplasties. I would've done this before my breast aug 10 years ago if I had known how much it could change my life! Dr. Holden's expertise and skills played a major role in my transformation and I will continue to seek graceful aging procedures from him in the future.

Where to turn...?

So unfortunately, Dr. Holden is not currently practicing due to some personal issues. I am very sad to lose a relationship with a doctor that I trusted and was comfortable with. It is also untimely as I just had a minor crease revision 2 weeks ago and now have no one to go to for any follow up care. My left eye had started creasing off downward from the incision crease so I wanted it tucked up a little but it seems a little high still as far as the position of the crease so still needing some revision as of now. Also, my right eye had a very dominant crease mid lid that he improved by removing a little more skin. I will try to post updated pics soon. Most of the major bruising went away at about day 10 I think. I am not sure what I am going to do now that I am left w/out a doctor. I am doing research but it is a challenge as Asian blephs are a specialty. May have to travel (CA maybe). Also am needing a new "regular maintenance(botox, filler)" doctor so the search begins for a good, caring, skilled doctor that has reasonable prices...it's Scottsdale so it may take a while lol....

20 days post crease tightening

Creases did settle (took a good 2 weeks for it to go down to a normal looking crease) some but still a little high on left eye that has been the problem area. Not likely to go down much unfortunately bc of the angle of the incision. Depending on how much the right settles I may have to get the left revised in the future. I have found that if I wear a lot of makeup and these annoying fake eye lashes I can mask most of the asymmetry. Right eye is looking much better as far as the middle crease I had running across my lid since I had some skin removed. At least I am able to wear makeup now since the multiple creases have seemed to be dramatically reduced (for now-we'll see, if they "settle too much" that's when the multiples show up). I think my progress is ok...miss having my doctor to consult with....
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Holden is the one of most caring, sweetest, and supportive doctors I have ever met. He is so attentive and always has an encouraging and positive attitude. He personally answered my emails when I first inquired about surgery. After surgery, gave me his cell # so I could contact him directly with my worries, questions or emergencies. Great follow up care. He always comforts me with his confidence, knowledge and reassuring words when I have any worries and is easily reached when you need him. He is an incredibly intelligent and talented surgeon, but also has the excellent and important artistic eye that some lack. I highly recommend him and only him for any facial work. He takes his time explaining things, addressing your concerns, and answers all your questions. When you meet him, you can tell that he puts his heart into his work and truly cares about each individual patient, not treating them like just another paying customer.

I didn't know you could laser upper lid! That's looks amazing! Wow. I want to try it.
Yes but that is such a delicate area, would make sure it is someone that is a facial specialist, it was painful, not sure that I would laser the upper lid area again. Might be better off just getting a bleph so you get noticeable results.
Still deciding on do my upper lids - thank you for sharing!!!
No prob. It is a tough decision, you can do your uppers really subtle if that's what you're worried about and same if you want a dramatic change. Just tell your doctor what you are going for.
"Also am needing a new "regular maintenance(botox, filler)" doctor so the search begins for a good, caring, skilled doctor that has reasonable prices...it's Scottsdale so it may take a while lol...." I am in the same predicament. Had a friend refer me to Dr. Hobgood in Scottsdale. I have no idea what his pricing is like but his work is outstanding. Maybe give him a shot. I'll post a review after I see him but that won't be for at least a month or two.
Yeah let me know.  Online it says his consults are 110?  A friend of mine made a consult with him and the scheduling girl told her 100 but then when she told her it was for a surgery revision consult the price changed to 250 bc she said revision consults are more complicated.  I get the consult charge thing but I think that 250 is a little steep, I am always wary of doctors that try to rope you in with overly expensive consults that you can "apply to surgery" even though you haven't even met the doctor.  His credentials seem really good although he is young...  Thanks for the info though, keep me posted :)   the search continues.....
Check out Dr Geoffry Leber, Free Consultations, Fanstatic Doctor, I just had Blepharsoplasty done and am very pleased!! He also offers a full med spa at the office where they do all sort of services. I highly recommend him!
Awesome, thanks!  Have you used any of the med spa services?
not yet, but I'm sure I'll consider in the future. I am getting a facial next week to help with my healing from blepharsoplasty.
Met with Dr. Hobgood yesterday. Received two syringes of Restylane and my first injections of Botox. Still a bit swollen today, but the results so far are outstanding. My eyes haven't looked this rested in years....probably the Botox. I highly recommend him if you are still in the market for a new injector. Brought a friend with me for her first injectables and she is also very happy with her results. Gentle injections, minimal pain, prices were reasonable. Best of luck with your search!
Hi, First of all you look great! I had lower eyelid surgery 3 weeks ago and I still have big eyebags. My doctor said Asians recover slower than other ethnics. My eyebags are worst than before I had surgery. I don't know if i have to be more patience and wait few more months. Can you tell me if this is normal? Thank u!
Thank you.  Yes, I agree that Asians have a different healing process, we have different eye structures that can pose some challenges, that is why it is a specialty-not all doctors have a lot of experience in it.  I had one doctor tell me they were not comfortable doing it on me bc their lack of experience in this area (which you gotta respect bc it is so easy for so many doctors to take your money and just wing it).  Hmmm, hard to tell from your pics.  What does your doctor say about your progress?  My undereyes looked their best I think right after surgery- I had fat removal and transfer though and laser resurfacing to tighten up the skin.  As the months went by I noticed that as some of the fat got absorbed from the transfer my bags came back a little, not bad though.  I did notice my eyes were super irritable the first year especially through allergy season, they were dry for a while too, needing night time eye ointment to help. Try Genteal, it's pricy for a small tube but works great and I lasts a long time ( I still have some left from 2 years ago!).  If the lower bleph fat transfer weren't so painful I would do it one or two more times since fat transfers don't retain all of the fat.  But since it is so subtle I don't mind using some filler for a while in that area.
Did your doctor do the eyelids surgery the same time you got your eyelid laser??? I know laser hurts a lot and on the eyelids for most is unbearable from what I read.
Yes, I had the skin on my lower tear trough area lasered as well.  I was out so I didn't feel it when it was being done (you have to go under for transconjuctival blephs.) but it was quite sore afterwards.  I was feeling pain from a few different things so who knows how much the lasering itself was affecting me!  You can be awake for an upper bleph but it takes a lot of guts.  Not going to candy coat it, it is not pleasant.  I had crease tightening done and the numbing shot hurts the worst.  I did have my upper eyelids lasered once though and yes, it does hurt especially on thin delicate skin like the eye area.  I started getting my filler in my lips with no numbing and I have gotten somewhat of a pain tolerance from that so now with procedure pain I just grin and bear it!
why do you need fillers on your lips? Asians usually don't need it like whites cuz they have thin lips. How are you feeling now. The most important thing is you are happy with the result and feeling good about yourself. So how much was the total cost of upper and lower eyelid surgery? What is listed wouldn't be for both??? Thanks.
You look great! I am 18 days PS, and the skin above the crease is still very swollen esp when I smile and the skin is squeezed. Is it normal? Do you have this problem? If so, when did it go away? There are also scars left by the stitches at the end of the eyes, how long would it take to recover from these? Thanks!
Um.. I never heard about Asians not needing fillers.. lol.  But if you take a peek at my Perlane review you will see how it enhanced my lips.  They weren't thin but they need the borders plumped out.  You can see how my lips look somewhat puckered in from the before photos.  Also plumping them helped soften my sever cupid's bow, looks less "steep" now which I definitely like the look of better.  The listed price was for both, I was one of his first patients and he was having some opening specials plus doing both upper and lower at the same time you only pay for anesthesia once and also I didn't pay a surgery center fee as he had an adequate surgical area in his office.  Even when his prices were normal, they were very fair.  I will miss his great patient care that I always received from him.  I am feeling ok, thanks.  My incisions although freshly healed still bear fresh looking scars and the area is still tender so have to treat gingerly when covering with makeup and removing it.
How are your eyes looking/feeling now on day 24?  My creases still were swollen/high for a few months.  I think at month 4 I finally felt like they were normal.  Your skin is adjusting to new creases and wrinkles it is now making bc of your surgery so give it time.  If it still bothers you after a while I would suggest maybe a little botox in the crows feet area to help you from being self conscious about it.  It helped me to keep them well moisturized at all times (I never treated with scar oil or anything, I read from a study from Univ. of Miami that vitamin E directly on a scar can actually hinder its healing.  And in 90% of the patients studied, it had no effect or made matters worse and 33% who used topical vitamin E developed a contact dermatitis.) .  I was kind of fanatical about it but it also was soothing to them in their tender state so maybe that has something to do with that.  I did have subtle scarring from the end stitch as well, I know what you are talking about-again, moisturizing I think helps.  My skin heals really fast in fact was trying to heal over my sutures at day 5 so your skin's healing ability is a factor.  It did go away mostly but again, you have to play the waiting game.  It is hard to be patient and remember that scars only fade with time but they will- don't worry!
Thank you Scottsdale, your reply is very encouraging. My eyelids are still swollen and the scars are still a concern. I saw the doctor today and he suggested Bio-oil. I'll try this but don't know if it would be too oily.
That does seem like it could be too slick...There is this rollerball scar treatment by Kate Somerville I got at Sephora for some facial scars that I like, I don't think it is a super strong treatment...but maybe you can look into that and ask your doc if the ingredients are beneficial and safe to lightly dab on your eyes?
Thank you Scottsdale.
Yes what is listed was for both, my doctor was just opening up his own practice at that time so it was kind of a special rate. I don't have thin lips but like having the extra plumping in borders and lower "pillow areas". I actually love it now that I have been doing it. My cupid's bow area looks much better and not so "severe".
?? never heard Asians don't need filler in their lips. Is that a new stereotype that I am unaware of lol?! Alice, I add it to make my cupid's bow less severe and for the reason every one else gets it, to add volume.
Thanks Sharon! Any updates to your upper swelling issue you were having? Hope you are doing great:)
You look great! Wish Dr. Holden were in my area. He sounds fabulous. I hope to get under eye and neck lipo. 30 is not old, but I know what you mean. Before I was 30 I thought it was ancient. Now I'm 42 and don't feel old mentally, but yikes, wish my body were 20.