Catastrophic, Devastating RESULTS - Scottsdale, AZ

After having a lift and implants done in the past,...

After having a lift and implants done in the past, I had 5 different consultations with surgeons. All said I needed the surgery done in two procedures, one to have the implants changed out, and one to have the breast lift redone, EXCEPT Dr. Leighton who assured me he could do it effectively in ONE surgery. Why I didnt listen to all the others is beyond me BUT why would anyone want to have two surgeries if a confident well established surgeon says he can do it it one. Initially, it appeared to be a good experience until issues occurred, then I was talked down to, was yelled at which was very unprofessional for a surgeon of his so called caliber. I ended up with a large hole in my breast due to skin that died and in the end my nipple died also. I am left with NO NIPPLE on one side and several plastic surgeons said that with all the scar tissue they CANT make it any better so I am left with the only option of having a tattoo for a nipple. Although plastic surgery is not a perfect science, Dr. Leighton should have been more upfront about what things could have occurred, had I known what I know now, I never would have gone in for the procedure. Besides the $12,500 I spent its nothing compared to what kind of number it did to me mentally and physically. My husband and I are both in the medical field, well schooled and not "stupid" my husband tried to speak with him from one professional to another and asked for a refund as I need to have the work redone but am not comfortable going back to someone who gave me the results I am left with, his response was "the money is better spent on burn victims" I would have had so much more respect for this man had he handled me differently. He did pay to have my nipple tattooed but those results are not good at all because the skin is so thin. I did my homework, but I didnt dig deep enough, listen to your instincts, find out how long his staff has been with him, and NOT a office manager but the nurses that work with him on a day to day basis, are they really RN's or are they just beautiful woman that look the part? Find out if there are gaps in the surgeons history and WHY....then get a list of questions and make sure he or she signs them just as you are asked to sign papers. Be pro active, question question question the surgeon. Ask what happens in a worse case scenario about your procedure...If I can help one person NOT go through what I will have to live with for the rest of my life because of my surgery with Dr. William Leighton I will have felt I made a difference.

15 months later-breasts look terrible...Regret having the work done by Dr. Leighton

The tattoo HAS NOT HELD the pigmentation and my left breast is severely deformed, I have lost so much volume due to the nipple necrosis. Prior to Dr. Leighton doing the surgery if he would have taken the time to throughly review my chart he would have found that I had a larger implant in my right breast, as my breasts were different sizes. He put the same size implants in both breasts, so now not only am I a whole cup size smaller (I was to go larger than what I was before) but one breast is considerably smaller than the the other. I still have so much (hard) scar tissue and my scars are awful.. they are so long and so visible even after using Mederma advance scar gel. I am so disappointed the way my whole situation was handled and these results are devastating both physically and mentally.
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon

Dr. William Leighton is conceited, egotistical, in a nutshell very arrogant. When I tried to question him and suggested seeing a wound care specialist, to confirm what he told me I was basically in no uncertain terms told absolutely not, he informed me he was a wound care specialist, and they dont call him and I quote "the boob fairy for nothing". Although I wanted to try some of the products for wound care I represented being a sales rep in medical field he told me to my face they didnt work and werent effective. Although, at the beginning he was attentive, and kind after issues occurred there was a dramatic change in how I was treated and spoken to. I was disrespected and talked down to as well as my husband who is a Dr.(although not in the plastic surgery field) I always brought my husband with me when I went to the appointments as I never knew what to expect or how I would get treated. It was a devastating experience with devastating results. Had I known then, what I know now, I would have had it done in two procedures as all the other experts informed me.

OMG
Devastating... has effected me mentally and physically and will forever
I am so sorry to hear and see this baby. You arre still blessed and beautiful! And here I am thinkM my distorted boobs were bad, your experience were way worst than mine. The last picture was a definite improve, so U did overcome the black stuff which I'm assuming was infection. You keep travailing and push till something happens, for I understand your pain and will keep U in my prayer and thoughts
realgem, "Devastating"--Oh, honey, I'm so sorry that this happened to you. You've persevered, but sometimes it must feel like/felt like you were pushed to your limits. Perhaps you've read "to rejoice in all trials and tribulations for they lead to perseverance and perseverance leads to (depth of) character". It may seem contradictory to rejoice in all trials; most people would feel hurt, angry, look to blame, obsess, and/or become bitter. BUT, as I understand it, God wants us to look to Him in trials and He will give us comfort. Ask Him to help you hear Him clearly as He speaks to your soul. He knows what you need before you even ask; He has known before the beginning of time. Rejoice, then in trials, for they can bring us closer to Him. Praise Him in the midst of trials, whereby you won't feel distant from Him. Praise Him, in spite of it seeming contradictory, and He will respond by suffering through the trial in addition to you and with you. He will be right there, right by your side. I have experienced this first hand when I went through a 5-year period of Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ("complex" means layer upon layer of trauma). Had I not heard Him speak to my soul, my chances of having been a suicide statistic was sky high. Yet, His Spirit testified with my Spirit, and I knew it was Him! Figuratively speaking, He carried me over the burning coals that otherwise would have consumed me. I'd like to make one more suggestion: Like I did, I expect that you have needed some psychological support. I sought out the assistance of a therapist who specialized in C-PTSD who also knew the therapeutic technique of EMDR. My efforts to heal psychologically were viewed from the bottom of Mt. Everest, yet my triumphs were monumental and continuous. You can view www.emdr.org. I regret that my husband never sought any assistance/professional perspective during my time with PTSD. My husband misunderstood so many things that I was going through (who wouldn't?). Those misunderstandings damaged our marriage when I was shamed and blamed whilst I needed understanding and comfort FROM HIM. Please know that your husband/loved ones are bearing stuff that is confusing to them; perhaps he/they would seek out a support group of their own or one they can attend with you. I hope my words benefit you and those you love. Just praise; God responds. Joyce
Hello sweetheart (msmsjazz) I am in fact very blessed..I have a husband and family that loves me dearly and wonderful people who have enhanced my life...like you! As bad as things have been..my breasts are healthy...the plastic surgeon to this day according to my file said it was never infected and each entry he made said I looked marvelous? That's what hurts the most...the dishonesty and the lack of care and concern...but I know in my heart, all will be ok eventually....gd bless and thank you again for your time....
Dear sweet Joyce...thank you from the heart..beautiful words from a beautiful person. Gd bless you
'"marvelous"........That's outrageous......
When I reviewed my file and I saw the notes I was dumbfounded I thought I had someone else's file....I truly try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but not in this situation the photos speak for themselves and the corresponding photos vs his notes on the dates they were taken are as you put it outrageous
Dear Realgem, It's been a while. How's it going, Sweetie? I read other people's comments to you, and you are one loved woman. Thank you for your reminder of 12/5/13 for all ladies to check their state & medical boards records and reviews of the surgeon they are likely to select. I have an April 2 consultation scheduled with the third surgeon whom I've considered. He is Dr. Daniel DeVecchio, a Mass General Hospital doctoral teacher of medical residents on the procedure I am requesting. I may have researched his procedure well enough, but you reminded me that although I've read patient outcomes by him on this site, I didn't check my state's medical board records. I will do that, and work until I am satisfied with my examination of them prior to my consult. I will write again after the consultation. Thanks for reminding me of my unbelievable oversight. Love you, and take care!
Dear sweet jeddy031.....how wonderful to hear from you! I think of you often and am so happy to hear you have found someone to proceed with after of course you check the medical boards :) please please let me know how things go after your appointment. I will keep you in my prayers dear friend. I am researching a few surgeons out of state as at this point I am not sure my situation can be any further helped. I can't express how much your kind sweet caring note meant to me. You are such a kind loving person! Gd bless you my friend...I will look forward to hearing back from you. Lots of love to a wonderful person...remember who cares!
Don't forget to search your county's civil court cases, that is where all the malpractice cases would show up! William Leighton had 8 cases in the Maricopa County Cases at least 6 were malpractice cases, he hurt me and realgem!
smurfette1989 Oh, my gosh! I guessed that Leighton probably did bad PS on others, but I'm so sorry that it happened to you. Your not a statistic; you are a woman with self-respect and genuine emotions. You read my entry and cared enough to make sure that my investigation of my probable PS is thorough. I would not have thought to search court cases in his county. You may have saved me! I don't know your situation, but I wish you the best. Thank you, dear woman. Joyce
Dear Joyce hello..... You are such a wise woman...smurfette and I have the blessing of getting to know each other and we are trying to help other women in dealing with issues like what we have been through....we care and women need to really check and recheck drs backgrounds ....just because a dr is voted the best doesn't necessarily mean he truly is....we are both proof positive of that. We will continue to fight and do what we can to help others. My little smurfette is a ball of fire and am blessed to call her my friend...you as well dear Joyce. How are things coming along for you? How are you doing? You are in my thoughts and prayers..always. Gd bless you
Hi Realgem, it's so nice to hear from you too! We will keep our fingers crossed that your surgeon research goes well. Praying for some good news to come your way. Update your review when you have some news. Thinking of you!
I have a consultation appointment with Dr. Daniel Delvecchio of Newbury St., Boston on this coming Tuesday, April 2nd. I will inquire about abdominal lipo with the fat transferred to my radiated (a cup size smaller ) breast. He does a micro mini lift to the receiving breast immediately to increase the % of fat cells that survive. A mini (not micro) lift will be done to the non-radiated side for best symmetry, lift, etc, if he agrees with all my suggestions. Of course I will have an open ear to him as well, but no Doc can get me to do what I don't want to do. Continuing tonight, and by the morning of April 2nd, I will have to finish my research of medical board reviews/sanctions and county case records of any malpractice claims or malpractice damages awarded. Finding info from the MA Medical Board should be easy enough, but tracking Dr. D's possible malpractice claims through the civil court system doesn't sound so easy. I hope Googling this stuff will get me to the right place. I know how to get to the site of the MA Dept. of Justice, underwhich is the link to the different levels of state courts. Yikes ! Where from there?
Hi Smurfette1989, One more reply/question for you. My potential PS in Boston checks out with no board actions, nor sanctions from the MA Medical Bd., and of course, he is appropriately certified. What I don't know to research are any past or pending malpractices cases in Boston County's civil court system. I tried "medical malpractice, Boston County, Dr. Daniel Del Vecchio", and I get ads for malpractice lawyers! I'm not even getting into the court system and don't know what level of the civil court system to start at. Can you help me out with ideas? For now, I'm going to look under "Boston County Civil Courts, med mal". Oh, and my initial consult is this Wednesday, not Tuesday.
Hi Realgem and Smurfette1989, I found the info on Dr. Daniel Del Vecchio of Boston Breast Center that I wanted. If I understood everything I read then, a) he has no past nor pending MA Board actions nor sanctions; and b) no past nor pending medical malpractice lawsuits as per: www.suffolk-ma-county-public-records.html Excellent! I also found patient typewritten reviews to be outstanding as per: www.citysearch.com/profile/41451960/boston_ma_back-bay-plastic-surgery.html citysearch is a website independent from his own website on which he also posts patient reviews. Everything looks good for tomorrow's consult for an abdominal liposuction with fat transfer from the abdomine to the radiated breast (increase of 1 cup size probable), followed by micro-minilift to radiated breast and (slightly larger) mini lift to other breast. Thanks guys. Many hugs! Joyce
Realgem and Smurfette 1989, Consulted with Dr. Del Vecchio of Boston yesterday. Due to lack of longitudinal data on fat transfer to radiated breasts, he only does fat transfer if the breast has not been radiated. To my surprise, he showed me that the volume of breast tissue in both breasts was very similar. The radiation had lifted my right breast so high that it gave the illusion that the right was much smaller than the "larger", very saggy left side. His recommendation is for me to have a bi-lateral lift (somewhat more lift than the right side). Nothing else. I started out a B cup before I nursed my son, then had so much stretched skin (I had an overproduction of milk) that I had to wear a C cup afterwards. The radiation "lifted" and made my right breast more dense (thereby looking smaller) resulting in asymmetry. I like filling out a C cup, but a lot of it was stretched skin filling up that space. Since my radiated breast can't take a fat transfer, the different size lifts will make me a 38B on both sides, same as I was at age 39; I'm now 57. It wasn't my dream solution, but I'm happy with it. Dr. Del Vecchio has the job, and I'll schedule it for summer. Del Vecchio's credentials, awards, and in-depth patient reviews were impeccable for this procedure.
Gd be with you and I am so happy you did your homework and you will be in my thoughts and prayers ...I apologize for not responding earlier I had a little incident occur but thankfully all ok..,please keep me posted on when you will have it done this summer...I care and am here for you my friend
Hi Friend... Just thinking of you. xoxo
Thank you for your sweet thoughts.....thinking of you and hope all is well! Gd bless you! Xoxo right back to you my sweet friend
Thanks for sharing. I hope you will eventually receive a satisfactory result.
Thank you for your kindness and for taking the time to reply.....I don't think that will ever be possible as my skin is too thin to do anything more according to several plastic surgeons ....I am thankful they are healthy but devastated by how I appear. Thank you again for your comment and your time.
Hi, After having done more research. I'm moving in the direction of having breast symmetry improved via these two procedures. A) Fat liposuctioned from the abdomen, then transferred to my right breast that was reduced about one cup size due to radiation treatments. The left side will then need a minilift to better conform in height and shape to the other side. A micromini lift can be done to the right side for maximum symmetry, size, height, and shape. Does anyone have first hand experience with Dr. Daniel deVecchio of The Boston Breast Center, Newbury St., Boston or another certified PS who does this procedure in the Boston area? Please help me be informed. Thank you.