Upper/Lower Abdomen & Inframammary - Saskatchewan

I have been overweight my entire life and have...

I have been overweight my entire life and have done all I could to lose weight for years with little to no success. Finally, in 2009 I joined Weight Watchers, this was the starting point to my ultimate success (along with a lot of sweat and tears left behind at my local YMCA). In one year I dropped 50 lbs off of my 5'10" frame (highest weight recorded was 218) and am the smallest I've been since I was in grade 6. I have kept this off for over a year now and can not seem to lose any more lbs or inches. I eat healthy, go to the gym regularely and yet nothing seems to help. When I learnt about smart lipo I was very excited to research it and after a lot of thought have decided to get it done.

I am engaged to be married in January 2012 and my fiance is completely behind me on my decision, he knows how hard I have worked to get to where I am and hates seeing me discouraged about the way I look and feel.
I am having my upper/lower abdomen and inframammary.

My appointment is scheduled for March 25th...

My appointment is scheduled for March 25th.

My current weight: 166 lbs
My current measurements:
Chest: 39"
Rib cage: 33"
Waist: 35"
Hips: 39"

Will keep you all updated with weight, measurements, pictures and daily blog. Will post a pre-op picture asap.

Photo Update

My doctor suggested that we use a surgical drain...

My doctor suggested that we use a surgical drain to help with the fluid post-op. I have done some research on these and from my understanding they are not generally used for this procedure (which he told me- but he has started using them and said its hard to turn back as he finds them to be much better). It is absolutely my decision whether I want it or not. He said it would help minimize a "mess" and can help get a better/flatter result.
Any opinions on this? Have any of you used one strictly with lipo (I've seen a lot on here for tummy tucks)?

Hi everyone, So I am 2 days away from my...

Hi everyone,
So I am 2 days away from my procedure and am getting a little antsy. I wouldn't say that I'm nervous about the procedure, more just REALLY excited to get it done...but I would certainly be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about the results. I am praying for the best but mentally preparing myself for any complications that may arise. I have faith that my doctor will do an amazing job and make the day go by smoothly and stress-free.
During my consultation I asked him what an "ideal candidate" would be for this procedure (Vaser Power-Assisted Liposuction- ugh- is this the same as Smart? might have posted in the wrong section), anyways, he said that it would be someone young (lots of elasticity in skin etc), non-smoker, physically fit, healthy diet etc. all of which I am so I'm hoping for optimal results.
So this week I have:
- Picked up all my meds along with some extra strength Tylenol & Arnica for bruising
- Started pre-making food for easy access after my procedure (healthy lasagne, soup, cut up veggies for snacks etc)
- I will be washing my sheets/bedding tonight
- Tomorrow I will lay all the plastic/towels down on my car seat, bed and couch
- Rent some movies
- Divide my meds so I have some next to my bed and some next to my couch
- Get my zip-up (loose) sweater, Lulu Lemon sweats washed and set aside
- Find glasses and put them aside too (I wear contacts- it says not to wear these on the day of)
I will really have to be mindful the morning of my procedure to not but lotion/deodorant etc on as this is my routine, as well as taking off all my jewelry (including piercings)
Other things I’ve done to prepare for my procedure:
- using Lever 2000 soap instead of my usual girly coconut body scrub
- I have been alcohol free for 26 days now (this was just a personal challenge my fiancé and I did for fun- for the procedure it says 1 week before and 1 week after).. considering keeping it going throughout all of lent (total of 8 weeks)
- I’ve been eating very well & exercising 4 times a week
Anyways that’s all for now, will do a final weigh-in and measurements tomorrow then will try to take some pictures right after the procedure (before my shower).
As I have not heard much back in relation to the drain I will talk to my doctor about it on Friday morning and will likely use it.
Wish me luck!

Hi everyone, So I am home from the procedure and...

Hi everyone,
So I am home from the procedure and all went well today! My surgeon and nurse were absolutely amazing, we laughed and talked throughout the entire morning. He said that my procedure went very well and was probably the best he's ever done. That sounds very promising to me :)
There were a few painful moments throughout the procedure but I just let him know and he stopped immediately and added more freezing. All in all I was very comfortable throughout the procedure. He even went a bit further to the back on my ribcage and sides, I was very happy with that.
I did end up going with the drain and it seems to be working out very well. I've drained it twice already now and I have some leaking through the other two incisions but nothing major. I get the drain removed on Monday, so 4 days later.
The surgeon removed 900 cc's of fat, with the fluid I think it was around 2200 cc's.
Right now I feel just fine, my abs are a bit sore when I move around but nothing a little pain killer wont fix. I've been taking Arnica to help with the bruising so hopefully that works out. I've been walking around and that feels fine as well, get spurts of being tired but am not exhausted by any means. So all in all I am very pleased with the procedure and how I'm doing now.
I will try to take some pictures when I have my shower. So exciting!!

Day 2 Doing very well today, better than...

Day 2
Doing very well today, better than yesterday. I am moving a little slow but it honestly just feels like I had a really intense core workout and my abs are sore. I had a great sleep last night, no pain and no mess.
Went grocery shopping for about an hour so it was good to get up and move around, I think this helps quite a bit.
I took one pain reliever earlier today and tonight I just took a couple Tylenol.
Took my garment off yesterday to wash as there was still some leakage even with the drain so I put that in the wash and threw on some Spanx for a few hours. When I took off the garment I got very light headed and nauseous so just laid down and after a minute or two I was fine. My doc told me not to take a shower until today so I did that and took a few pics that I'll post.
So far its been easy (knock on wood).

Bye for now.

Hi everyone! Well it's been one week and I am...

Hi everyone!
Well it's been one week and I am doing excellent. I have been taking pictures almost every day but was so shocked at the difference between Wednesday and Thursday! I couldn't believe the change.
I am in little to no pain, still a little sore when I walk too fast or get up suddenly. I have bruising on my lower abdomen that seems to be healing and my incisions are healing up very nicely.
I went to the gym on Wednesday to lift weights and that felt good, I stayed away from any core workout though. Other than that I've been doing my usual thing and trying to walk around as much as possible. I'm drinking lots of water and eating healthy too which is a must. I am done my antibiotics and am on no pain killers either, just taking Arnica still to help with bruising.
Every day seems so exciting, I can't wait to go home at night and look at my results, take measurements and pictures. I'm going out for supper tomorrow night with some friends and tried on one of my tighter dresses and it looks AMAZING! Can't wait to wear it. I am also wearing my ultra-super skinny jeans that I've never fit into before (my sister gave them to me) and they are smokin hot! Life is gooooood :)
I will post more pics and my measurements tonight when I get home.
Ciao

Day 16 Hi everyone, So I am finally going to...

Day 16
Hi everyone,
So I am finally going to update my measurements.
I added upper and lower abdomen to my measurements as well as this is where I saw the most change. Unfortunately I did not take these before my procedure which I wish I had but I did take them the day after (March 26th).
I measured upper and lower abdomen at:
upper 38.5
lower 40

Full current measurements are:
Chest: 39" (change 0")
Rib Cage: 33" (change 0")
Waist: 31" (change 4")
Upper Abdomen: 34" (4.5")
Lower Abdomen: 38.5" (1.5")
Hips: 39" (change 0")

Down by a total of 10" :)

I was back regularly at the gym this past week and am feeling really good. I would say that I am back to around 95%.
I am going on a hot vacation in three weeks so am really hoping my results are good enough to wear my FIRST EVER bikini!!

I will try to post some more pictures today as well.

Hi everyone, So yesterday I hit my 1 month...

Hi everyone,
So yesterday I hit my 1 month post-op and all is well. As you can see from the pictures I have tightened up quite a bit but still have some ripples on my lower abdomen that I hope will go away fairly soon. It does not feel bumpy at all, just feels like loose skin so I hope this is normal and will go away over time. I am back into my normal routine at the gym and able to go at 100%, the only thing that I haven' tried to do yet is running. I have my follow-up appointment with my doctor this Thursday so I will ask if its ok to start again and whether I can stop wearing this compression garment.
I'll keep you posted!
Dr. Bastian

i posted a lot of questions and they never seemed to have gotten published or were not answered yet. ive posted at least 4 similar to the subject and confirmed them when i received the email from realself

Hmm, that's strange. I see four questions on your profile (http://www.realself.com/user/138312). Were there others? Please PM me the details and I'll track them down for you.

(Sometimes our emails telling you the questions have been published or you've gotten answers get sent to spam folders by mistake, so that might explain why you weren't contacted.)

yes i tried looking on this site and was not successful yet. my recovery has been fairly smooth so far. not too much pain and almost no bruising. i will definitely let you know how it goes. thank you for all your help

Hi Lauren,

Feel free to post your question on our Doctor Q&A Forum. They're really good about providing opinions on post-op issues.

Hope this helps!

I'm not sure about the medical risks, did you try searching for this on the site?what did your doctor say?
All that I would recommend is just to be mindful that your body is still healing and to not push yourself too hard, if anything starts to hurt then stop. I think that exercising has helped speed up my healing but everyone is different, with that being said I was very conscious about listening to my body and not exceeding my limit.
How has your recovery been? Much pain?

good luck with your trial run. Let me know how out went.
okay did yoga sculpt yesterday. worked out pretty well. did a super short run today. like 2 miles... slow and easy. went pretty well. a little sore on my right flank but i think its okay
will i start swelling or bleeding internally or... ... im a runner so this is hard for me. i was planning on doing a small test run tomorrow (it will be my two week mark) but im very nervous
hi! how fully were you able to go back to working out at day 16... ive heard mixed reviews. some drs say dont run until 6 wks and some say after 2 your fine... any advice
Hi Lauren,
My doctor told me a minimum of 4 weeks before I could start running again which at this point I still agree with, there are times when I move too fast that my abdomen will hurt so I still don't push myself as much as before. As running is very 'bouncy' it would likely hurt. He also told me that it could negatively effect how my skin tightens.
Right now I am doing a lot of weight training with free weights, zumba dance class and spinning. In my dance class there are certain things I stay away from too, your body will let you know your limit.
Hope this helps.
I'm happy that u r doing so well. Congratulations!. I too have been overweight my entire life. I've lost about 100pds & have recently joined weight watchers to lose the last 30.

Yay! Glad to hear you're doing well. You can already see a difference in your Day 2 pics, even with all the swelling.

Thanks Sharon! Very happy with everything so far and I'm sure it will continue to get better every day. I'm going to try to go to my dance class tomorrow night...hoping its not too early to get back into the groove of things...minus running for a month :(
Don't know anything about drains, it was never mentioned by the docs I talked to. I have read that they are not usually used for lipo but every doc has his own way of doing things. Is your doctor Board Certified in Plastic Surgery?
Had my lipo of abs and flanks 3 weeks ago with general anesthesia and closed incisions. I only had a tiny amount of drainage, almost none. 2 of my scars look like someone took the point of a pin and made a little scratch and I can't even find the other. Post your question to the docs on this site. Good luck, I think by your pics that you will have great results!!

Thanks Amalgam49, I really hope it turns out beautifully!

My doctor is a member of the "American Society of Lipo-Suction Surgery" as well as an "American Association of Cosmetic School" associate... so I believe this means that he is certified but maybe I should ask the doctors on here.

The website {Edited} says this about associates:

"Associate membership may be granted to any physician or oral and maxillofacial surgeon who is actively engaged on a regular basis in the performance of cosmetic surgery, but who does not meet Fellow member requirements. An Associate must be board certified or board eligible in an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) — approved subspecialty or other surgical specialty deemed equivalent by the AACS, including:
Cosmetic Surgery
Dermatology
General Surgery
Obstetrics and Gynecology
Ophthalmology
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Otolaryngology
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery"

He showed me all of his credentials when I met with him but I can't remember off the top of my head....ughh I should know this!

{Edited by Kirsty: Please do not link to third party sites}
So did some research and looks like in Canada, to be Board Certified means you are a member of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, while my doctor is not a certified "plastic surgeon" he has his own practice which is very successful in my city. I have read reviews on his Vaser lipo procedures and all were very good and happy with the results. He has a 10% touch up rate (this is average?) and is very honest about his work and what my expectations should be.
I got very worried about him not being board certified in plastic surgery but when I went over his credentials and experience further I felt good about it again. I hope I don't regret this decision... oh well.. too late now lol 21 hours til my procedure.
Congrats on your decision. I too am having lipo at the end of this month--the 28th. Don't have anything to add about drainage tubes.
Thanks Jack, you too! Hope all goes well with you and you're very pleased with your results. what area are you having done?
I am having upper, lower and flanks.
Good luck!!

Welcome to RealSelf, mlle86. Less than a week to go! :) Are you ready for surgery?

I think so! I'm getting very excited about it. I'm pretty laid back so not overly stressed or anything, more so anxious. Thanks for the warm welcome.