Chin Implant Mistake - Saskatchewan, SK

I would really think this through if you want a...

I would really think this through if you want a chin implant. I did not and now I COMPLETELY hate it. It is way more pain then i thought. Even after 2 weeks. I think it is a good choice for those with a really receding chin.

This totally changes my face and not in a good way. Seriously consider the consequences if you do a chin implant.

No one told me about possible lifelong problems or deformities if you get one and then want it out. Make sure the doc explains all types of implants available. I personally would never go with Medpor Stryker implant (thats what i got) as tissue grows into it making it harder to remove and more possibilities of deformity if removed.

One month post op - I hate the implant more than ever

The swelling has mostly left. Enough to know how it going to look.

It is terrible. The implant is completely wrong for my face. It is too big and wide and extends my face way too far down.

Every day as the swelling leaves, it gets worse and more noticeable that it out of proportion.

Surgery for removal has been scheduled for August 22/14, way too far away for me. I worry every day now about permanent deformities as a result of this terrible decision.

PLEASE NO COMMENTS REGARDING SWELLING, OR WAITING LONGER TO SEE IF I LIKE MORE AFTER THE SWELLING IS GONE, ETC.

It is not the swelling. It is the implant itself. And it has to go ASAP.

Total cost for implant then removal, $10,000.

Biggest mistake of my life. I wish I never did this.

photos

1st photo is 1 week PRE-OP. Second photo is 2 months post op and swelling is gone now mostly. It is horrid.

scar tissue growing into the implant

The lower portion of my face is in effect stapled to the implant now. The scaring form healing has attached the skin of my face to the implant. Very uncomfortable. The skin on my chin is completely attched to the impant and wont move. I was told this would not happen, was temporary, etc. But is has not been temporary. Where the implant was put in, the skin is getting very hard and immobile, like the skin is sewn straight to my bone.

Every day I have this is in, the more I think it should not be used at all.

Anyone considering a porous implant right under the skin should be ready for this effect. I was not told about it, and I have not read about it anywhere.

Paid for the removal today

Paid the balance today for removal of this chin implant. It is gone in 2 days. Total paid for this mistake -> $10,400.

Thank god.

Implant out!

Just had the implant removed! Much happier.

Will post some photos later.

The pain is not bad

One day after chin implant removal

I had the medpor chin implant removed yesterday. And I am much happier. I like my looks better already even with the swelling whichisn't to bad actually.

It is not painful at all today. There was a bit of pain along the jaw for a few hours after surgery but that went away in 4 or 5 hours.

I will post up some pics of today. I am back at work, so these are form my work computer in the office, sorry about the quality.
First 4 are from Aug. 15/14, approximately 24 hours after removal.

The rest are all pre-implant surgery.
And yes, I was able to go to work the next day.

correction about the photos

The first 4 are from 1 day after removal,

The next 5 are pre-implant.

And the last 3 are with the implant in 2 months after surgery.
Dr. Rick

Changed my mind. I did not get all the necessary information before getting this ugly thing in. He did a fine job in surgery, but everything else was not good. I am not happy at all

I'm happy for you that it is gone. Your relief is palpable.
did u also get a buccal fat removal? it really seems like u did more than just a chin implant. just wondering?
No, no fat removal or anything like that. This was supposed to be a simple, small implant, and a subtle change to my profile. I do not really understand how it went so bad. And now I have scheduled x-rays with a completely different doctor to look at my face. Something isn't right.
Thank you for sharing. You look great! You looked perfect before the implant from both front and side.... What made you decide to get an implant?
Thanks. Kinda long story why I did it. I wanted my nose smaller and a little more refined but the doc said a chin implant would give me of the result I wanted. And when I talked to him,about my nose it did not seem like we were on the same page at all. So I went with the chin. I always wanted slightly more chin projection. I still can't believe I did it. I never do things like that. But to shorten the story, I think I was trying to compensate for a bad left shoulder injury and resulting deformity that stopped me from going back into fitness modeling 3 years ago. Sad as that is.
Tx again for sharing, glad that you are happy with getting it out....a wild journey but just know that you were not alone in the process. There is a weird bond that we all share on here and anything we can do to help just reach out.
Thank you so very much for sharing your story. I am getting a chin implant on 8/21 and now I will know what to tell the doctor I do NOT want. So much pain, heartache on top of so much $$$. This has been a miserable lesson. I'm praying you will heal well now that it's out and just put this down as a lesson well-learned. And the fact that you told us about it means so very much. That's what this site is for, so those of us who are innocent (and sometimes uninformed) can learn both the good and the not-so-good of PS. Take care and hope you feel well and "normal" very soon! Maggie
Also, what implant did you get, and I was thinking of a terino style 2 square implant which is an extended anatomical implant.. I wonder if you got that too
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

At that type is silicone by the look of it. Make sure to ask your doctor about what happens if you want it removed.
I have posted some pics after removal, and some with the implant, and some before the implant. Hope that helps. I sent an earlier reply but it was not allowed by the site for some reason. Not sure why. But really think it through. Best wishes, ask me anything!
Thanks, Much appreciated! You had model tier aesthetics before the implant, you don't need to do anything with the face. Just make sure you don't lose the hair and you'll be golden for decades to come. I have done quite a bit of research on implants and the Terino style 2 silicone implant is going to be the one i'm gonna go for. I think of all the implants, those square chin implants should of been the ones recommended to you by the doctor. I don't really have a receding chin, but my chin is not wide enough. I have a masculine face with strong wide jaw, defined cheekbones and jawline, only thing lacking is the chin. If you google images "terino style 2 chin implant" and you can see it on someone in the 3rd pic. But after reading your review, the only thing I'm worried about is that it looks unnatural and unrefined. Your chin in picture tagged "pre implant 1" is the sort i'm looking for refinement i'm looking for. The after implant picture looks like there was like a load of fat added at the front of chin. Is it just the picture or was it actually like that in real life? I can't seem to tell for the life of me, what excatly it is .. is it scar tissue?
Decades :) I hope so. I am now 40 so decades would rock :) The front of chin ... THAT IS THE IMPLANT!! horrible, horrible, horrible. I think that a chin implant should never have been suggested at all. I can't believe the surgeon thought it looked good.
Hey, I was thinking of getting a chin implant because my chin is too small and not wide enough. Basically I want to achieve your pre-op chin. I have a face kind of like yours low body fat, everything is pretty defined the jawline, cheekbones etc.. From your after pic your chin looks like it is from someone older who is a little bit fat and looks weird, like full of fat. I want a sharp square chin like your first pic but now have second thoughts..
I think you should still look into it if you actually have a receding chin, I didn't really have a receding chin, just barely. But I did not research the implant choice at all, or have any information on it at all really before the operation. Mine is the Medpor Stryker implant. Maybe really discuss it with your doctor and be very clear with what you expect. I basically let him make all the decisions and just trusted we had the same vision. We did not.
Shame that you feel this way about your implant :( I thought you looked great before ... However I don't think it looks as bad as you think it does! I love mine ! However my chin was really receeding , I have a large one in and wouldn't change it for the world . Hope the removal goes ok !
My thoughts exactly...on all of it. I think his implant looks good, I think yours is great and I also got a large and am totally satisfied. Hate to see people struggle with it. I also think that those of us with pretty receding chins put a TON of research into the procedure, what to expect and who the good doctors are. I am not sure why anyone spending this kind of cash wouldn't look into that extensively.
Comments like your s is why I didn't want to put up pictures. 1st, you have no clue what you are looking at: you are not trained and you do not have any talent for aethetics, so your opinion on the result does not mean anything. Go do whatever you want on your face. Obviously I thought the doctor and I were on the same page but it was only clear after the operation we were not. Yes I should have research it more, I do not know where you live but this is Canada, not like I had a ton of choice in the doctor. It does not work like in the states, I was assigned my doctor by the health care system. The effect was never to be this extreme, it was to be a mild bump out, not a complete new jawline. So take your pompous attitude and go fuck yourself.
I don't know what you face looked like before, but I think you look good now. Very masculine and rugged. Just my two cents.
The 1st pic is what I looked like before. The 2nd picture is after. And the chin is terrible. Looks like an unrefined brute's chin that sticks out way too far and wide and low.
Ah, okay. I thought they were both post-op photos. Thanks for clarifying.
Also I wanted anyone that reads this, yes! It makes your face look longer! U need to be ready for that. No one told me that and I didn't read it anywhere. I thought it would just be projection out but somehow it elongates my face. I wasn't ready for that and it's going to take some getting used to.
I got the same thing done. I went in for a rhinoplasty and the surgeon suggested that i get a chin implant. I never noticed that i could possibly even need it. I regretted immediately. My face was exactly as you described. I couldnt even look in the mirror. My face was already longer so the implant just made it horribly worse. The implant appeared to large and went across my chin and not just in the front like I expected. It was square and heavy and was a clear separation from my original jaw line to make matter worse, as the days passed the swelling from my nose went down and my chin got larger and my face got longer. BUT i can say that Im 6 weeks post and I think that I can see the light. I went to the orthodonist yesterday and she mentioned that my profile was perfect, and that was nice. My chin is starting to sharpen out and is less bulky and square. The swelling is still there but is better and my jowls are receding too. Everyday it gets better. I can say I was not prepared for it. My surgeon did not give me enough warning on what I would go through pain wise and looking like. If they had, I probably would have not done it. I've had other surgeries but an implant on your face is drastic. I think that you really have to have a recessive chin and really "need" this in order to appreciate it. Im not writing to tell you that its swelling. Im not looking at you, it could very well be horrible. I just wanted to share with you my experience.
Yes!! Exactly my situation!! I went for rhinoplasty too, but was suggested a chin implant. I never even thought of it before. In less than 2 weeks I had this stupid thing in. I had thought of a nose job for years and years, not a chin implant. The implant is too large and goes all the way along my jaw line all the way to the mandibles. It looks like I have mumps 24/7 (yes swelling is gone now). My face literally gets worse every day now. There is major dimpling happening and creasing in 3 directions. And the end of chin is bulbous, like the prow of a ship. I can't look in a mirror either still (2 months post op), I have a hard time telling people how much I hate the effect, then to have people to repeatedly ask me to point out everything I hate is getting more than just annoying. Do people ask fat people to display all that the fat person hates? Surgery for removal has been moved up to Aug 14th, thank god. I hate this thing so much. I still recommend that NO ONE EVER GETS A CHIN IMPLANT UNLESS YOU HAVE A SEVERE BIRTH DEFECT, ETC. I absolutely cannot wait until this ugly piece of crap out of my face in 7 days