Weight Loss of 60+ = Saggy Skin; 66 Years Young. Sarasota, FL

I have been saving for years to do a facelift. I...

I have been saving for years to do a facelift. I am ready - Weight loss of nearly 70 lbs. contributed to sagging and loose skin on face. Also wrinkles. Will have fat injections around eyes and cheek and mouth, neck and face lift. I am very comfortable with the doc and facilities of where I am going.

Countdown to the Day!

Only 10 days before it is my turn. Had a check up with my opthomologist to tell him what I had planned. He was supportive and willing to help try and get the upper eyelid skin excision covered under my insurance. Would go toward out of network deductible since the PS is not a provider and I am not on medicare. I have read and read all instructions - called to make sure I had purchased the correct items; Aquafor for babies which was fine (had picked it up before) and antibacterial body wash. The nurse told me I was over-thinking things. Well, nervous Nelly here wants to follow the instructions to a "T" so I am willing to check and recheck. Cheers all.

Final updates before surgical date on Monday June 23, 2014

O.K. I am ready. I will attempt to post one "before" photo and a little video clip I did a couple of weeks ago. I think I will take one of my few precious xainex the doc gave me for anxiety. Not really too nervous yet, just excited and ready to move on. This board has been very helpful, if not a bit encompassing, never the less worth my time since the is about all I have been able to think abut the last few days.
PS
Can not seem to get the video to load - incompatible with Realself but I will keep working on it.

Photo ??

Day one post op

Make it through just fine. Minimal discomfort really. Here is a photo of first day. I go back to doc and have head dress (sounds better than bandages) removed. I look worse than I feel. Cheers, all.

Day 4

This is Thursday. Had surgery on Monday. Making progress. Will go tomorrow and get stitches out of eyelids and on Monday the remainder of stitches and staples. I have been faithful with following instructions, and have been sleeping in recliner. Walking around the house more and trying to move. My eyes are the most sensitive at this point - well, maybe my neck too. Oh, well, still all of my face is sensitive now that I think of it. LOL

Question. Did I see something about massaging the tissue around the cheeks and jaws or is that my imagination?

Outing to have eyelid stitches removed

Day 4, had eyelid stitches removed. Found a way to go 'incognito" thanks to this message board and seeing someone else use a scarf and big sunglasses. Doc is very happy with my progress. All is well he says. I have had no problems. Had anti-nausea meds, antibiotics during surgery and no issues. Only tiny problem is constipation. And, I have only had one or two pain pills so I don't think it is that. Oh, and some itching with the eyelids especially. After today, I start using products he gave me - a bar moisturizing soap, moisturizing cream and sun screen. I am grateful and feel very blessed. Dr. Graham is the best!

Views of sutures

Here are a couple of photos of my sutures. Grace had inquired about them. Yes, PS's are all a bit different. I am well pleased with my doc. I go back on Monday and have all sutures removed. I did have incisions along the nape of my neck. Neck was a tad stiff but not bad enough to prevent me from being able to drive. In front of the ear, the incisions went up to my lower temple. Of course, no pain pills in order to drive. I was not up for going anywhere else. Just there and straight home. Am doing gentle walking around the house. Have done about 3500 steps today. This was one of the easiest surgeries I have experienced and believe me, over the years, I have had some that I thought I had bit off more than I could chew. One was a gall bladder removal that was supposed to be a piece of cake - NOT! It was awful. Bilateral knee surgeries - NOT. So I was about due for a gentler time. LOL

Post op one week today

Had remainder of stitches and staples removed this morning. Doc is pleased with my progress. He says I will have a good result. I can do most things now, and can begin sleeping in bed but still elevated. My honey once home from a trip slept with me in our double recliner for two nights. LOL I feel good, neck still pretty tight and I feel like I still look like the dickens but getting to do my hair and have a little make-up on will make a world of difference. Still swollen too. Overall, I am pleased with the way things are progressing. I can see a huge improvement in my neck with the "waddle" skin gone! Cheers all. More in a few days.

One week post op photo

Evening photo one week.

One more set of photos that are lighter views. Bruises and swelling are better.

July 4th, 2014 - update, Day 11 post-op and overview of costs and reasoning.

Today is day 11. Healing continues but I am having some discomfort with my neck. I have "horizontal bands" that are swollen and uncomfortable. Perhaps someone could tell me if this is pretty typical. Will wait a few more days for updated photos, but bruises continue to lighten. Only issue is my neck.... But in the meantime, here are some thoughts for anyone who may find this useful.

I am posting an overview of what I had done and costs. I was very pleased with my price of $12,300 for what I had done. I had been saving for probably 10 years here and there for the "just in case I really do decide to do it" scenario. I had not one iota of nausea or problem of any kind. The twilight sleep was fine for what was done. My doc has been great and I am pleased at this point. I do look "different" but am attributing it to swelling and just things rearranging themselves. Here is what was included in the pricing.

I had the face lift which included the neck ($8,700), fat injections (taken from my hip) under the eyes in the tear trough, chin area, cheeks, upper skin incision of eyelids, FX laser on upper and lower lips, shave and cauterized Bert-Hoag-Dubee syndrome larger bumps on nose and cheek areas, and botox. This included the anesthesia fees, operating room, products (not make-up or medical grade Arnica for bruising and swelling), consultation and all follow-up. And, he guaranteed his work, meaning if there were a problem he would fix it. This group is the premier group in Sarasota. Actually there are several really good groups, but I kept hearing the names of this one more often and both my family doc and dermatologist commended their work.

Why did I do it? I don't part with my limited dollars easily! I feel doing it will help me to stay on course with my weight management. Several years ago I had a lap band which helped the first couple of years, but then I gained most of the weight back. At my highest, I weighed 223 pounds! When I started the loss in 2012 I think it was, I was 203 again. At 5'1" that was pretty high. Never had a weight issue until I quit smoking and started menopause about the same time. Aarrggg. I just can not go back there ever. After all this, I believe my facework will help me to remain vigil about my food choices.

I hated looking in the mirror and seeing especially, the jowls and turkey waddle neck. I work out and try hard to take care of myself and my sagging skin did not match my "herculean" efforts at getting healthy. So, right or wrong, good or bad, that is why I made the choice. In the end, I hope to still look like "me" just a revised and refreshed version of me. Happy July 4th all!

Two week updaate

Here are a few photos front and side. Progress. I have not had any problems. Just some discomfort in my neck area mostly. Make up is doing a pretty good job covering bruising. Still have some swelling in neck and face. Overall, I am pleased - I think. :-)

Wed. 16 days post op

Have some make up on. Bruises barely show. Mostly under eyes still.

Three weeks post-op yesterday

Doc released me today to return to all normal activities. I go see him once more in one month. He told be to be more "aggressive" in massaging the dis-solvable stitches behind my ears when I shampooed my hair. Ouch, but I wish they would leave. They are sore and itchy. I am afraid to try putting in my ear rings. Neck still sore, but he says that is normal. Told me to massage it and my entire face with moisturizer. Said the dryness in face I am experiencing would subside in another week or 10 days. My face sucks the moisturizer right up and sunscreen or anything else. I am thinking my neck has a tad of droopy skin but maybe he got it as tight as he felt he could. He seemed to think it was fine.... Onward and upward. No one has asked if I had anything done, nor has anyone I knew noticed the bruises I had. Yipee. I may not tell anyone I have had work done. I did see one friend who told another that I, "looked good." So I guess something looks a bit different. I would hate to think I don't look some better. LOL

Photo five weeks out

This was taken on a cruise. A little girl on the ship told me I did not look old enough to be a grandmother. Hee hee. Made my day!!! Still a tad of tightness around neck but feeling good otherwise.

Two months today: Surgery date was June 23, 2014

Here are a few close up photos of my changes. I am happy overall. Still some numbness and my neck feels a bit lumpy. Would I do it again? I believe so, especially if this "holds" and defies time or at least slows it down. LOL Most people whom I had not seen in a while think I have lost weight. One person told me I was "glowing." (Of course I was not going to fess up to anything....) and the glow... well, I think it is my moisturizer. Hee, hee.
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

I am now five weeks out (8-5-14). And, yes, I am happy with Dr. Graham's handiwork. I have had no problems to speak of and am feeling like I do look younger and very natural. I am only one day out, but I can say right now, my doc has been great. My final look remains to be seen, but I am optimistic of a good outcome. He has done his part, and I just need to do mine by being a good patient and healing quickly. 07-16-14 Three weeks. Very happy with Doc Graham, very kind and an artist. I would recommend him for any procedure. No problems. Smooth as these events go. . .

You look fantastic!! I am having nose surgery and neck lift in Sept.
Hi gorgeous!! You are looking spectacular and so happy!! Your hair is a beautiful red like my sisters. Congrats on a beautiful result!!
Oh, thank you. I was thinking the same about you. Gorgeous inside and out. I am from your neck of the woods - sort of. Lived in Sedalia for my first 40 years. Born & raised there. Still have family there and in Kansas City.
Mkwillie, you look fantastic!! So happy for you. Thanks for posting your updates. Lilygirl
Thanks Lilygirl. YOu are beautiful! What a great outcome.
Cheers. You are sweet to say this.
You are simply glowing from ear to ear young lady - so happy for you lovely lady x
Thank you Shazza.. You have had a great result too. Everyone on here is so helpful. I have found you and the others on this site wonderful.
Same here invaluable really & made my joirney so much more reassuring :-) live the best life Mk x
Thanks, and you are one of the biggest supporters of everyone. You are a jewel! :-)
Oh thank you Mk just know how much the ladies on this site meant to me during my worrying days x
Very, very nice result, you're beautiful and you do "glow" :)
Thank you. You are sweet to say that. Everyone on here is so supportive. Have you made a decision yet for your procedures? (Hope I am correct in that you have not done yours yet.)
I have made the decision to do something... lol. I have a consult with an oculoplastic (eye plastics specialist) surgeon in three days. I have wanted upper and lower blephs for.. oh ... about 15 years :/ I realize now that I have eyelid ptosis which can be corrected at the same time as the eye surgeries, but it's a pretty technical procedure that should prob be done by a specialist, as revisions are extremely difficult and unpredicatable. Also several PS said they didn't even do ptosis surgery. I have heard great things about this doc (not on here though) and will see what she says. On her website she also mentions other procedures so will get her input, but not sure I would have those done with her. Maybe if she has more pics lol. I am likely looking at staging, with eyes first, healing, then the rest of my face work (boo, I want it all and I want it now lol). So gathering information now, read too many unhappy reviews to not proceed with caution. Def gonna do it tho, I read another reviewer that said "hey kids I'm spending your inheritance". I like it lol...
I had upper & lower eyelids done 12 years ago by Dr Ronald Hollins, in Omaha, NE, oralmaxilofacial plastic reconstructive surgeon, dental school first, then med school. Procedure was done out patient. Essentially no post-op pain. Results are Still Good. Procedure on Thurs, back to work on Mon. I wore glasses then, so bruises hidden. 'Have since had Lasik (another great investment) so, no more glasses. Having been a nurse for 44 years, I would say that having confidence in your physician is a major factor in any healthcare situation.
Hi just read your profile,you are looking gorgeous,I am 19 days post op,healing well,only have bruising at back of neck and still tightness,some days worse than others.i guess this is normal.no regrets x
Thanks for the compliments. I am happy with the results. Best of luck - I know you will have great results too.
Still looking fantastic, it's such a confidence booster isn't it, thanks for updating.
Thanks for the update&pics :) Keep glowing,lol.
Mary - Happy Anniversary to my 2-month surgery sister! You look beautiful - so natural and so happy! Isn't it nice to be at this stage in the process?? I am happy for you!
Hi Linda, And, happy anniversary to you as well. Yes, very happy to be on this side of the surgery table. How is your healing these days? Are you still sore too?
Mary - the sensations are really weird, aren't they? Last night was the first night in a long time that it hurt to lay on my ears. I would say that I have 85% of the feeling back in my face and neck. I wouldn't say I am sore anywhere - just a tight feeling under my chin and going down the front sides of my neck. Some days are worst than others! I still have some intermittent swelling - a lot of that depending on if I have eaten too much salt or not drinking enough water.
You look great and very Happy :) i might add. Enjoy your weekend.
Thanks, Bella. Yes, I am pleased. Will post two month photos soon.
You look more than pleased!! :) Ok,thank you and have a good day!