Saline Implants Removed After 10 Years - Santa Rosa, CA

As a teenager I was barely a 34A and always...

As a teenager I was barely a 34A and always struggled with low self-esteem because of my small breasts. I just didn't feel "womanly" or attractive. At 21 I finally made the decision to get implants. I got 225/250 (one breast is smaller than the other) submuscular saline implants. This brought me to a 36B. So, not outrageously huge, but just enough to look "normal". For years I was happy with them and finally felt attractive.

As time went on, I began realizing things I did not like about them, such as feeling self-conscious when I hugged people and not being able to lay on my stomach. I also felt terrible that I had ruined the body God had given me.

I have since had two children and breastfed both of them. I couldn't get any more womanly than that!

About a month ago, after several months of vacillating, I finally decided to have them removed. Some of my reasons:
- I was going to have them removed eventually, so might as well do it while my skin is more elastic.
- My surgeon is still practicing and said he would do it for FREE because it is such a simple quick procedure!
- I would finally be me.
- My husband is fully supportive and excited about my breasts being all natural.
- I will most likely get the feeling back that I lost in my nipples when I had them put in.
- I will not feel self-conscious when I hug people, and I can hug my children close without feeling a lump between us.
- and more...

My reasons not to have them removed were all out of vanity and insecurity.

June 25 I finally had them taken out. The surgery was very quick, as my surgeon said, and the recovery was easy. I only had local anesthesia, and needed just a couple doses of Ibuprofen the next day to help with the mild pain.

They understandably looked very empty and saggy after the surgery. It has been a week and a half and I am noticing a little bit of filling in. I do think my breasts will be smaller than before I had implants, probably a 34AA, simply because I have had two kids. But, I will be happy with whatever I have. I no longer rely on my breasts for part of my identity.

I do not regret my decision to have them removed, but it has been an emotional roller coaster since the surgery. I found that the implants were a temporary fix for a deep emotional problem. Several of my insecurities have resurfaced and I am killing them at the roots this time. It feels great to no longer be living a lie.

My close friends actually say I look better now because my small breasts fit perfectly with my small athletic build. I met them after getting implants and they said they have always thought my breasts were too big for my body. I never would have thought that.

So, I am pleased with my decision and am becoming a stronger woman because of it.

Well, it has been two weeks since my surgery and I...

Well, it has been two weeks since my surgery and I am feeling better each day. I love my real, soft, warm, squishy breasts! :) I am also so elated to report that my feeling is coming back! This is huge for me and my husband, and makes the removal even more worth it. If any of you have lost sensation, please have hope that it will return.

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone that has posted their story on this site. Each one helped me make the right decision, and I have gained a lot of encouragement and inspiration from your experiences.

It has been almost 8 months since my explant, so I...

It has been almost 8 months since my explant, so I thought I would give an update. I am still so pleased that I got them removed. I think my breasts look pretty much how they would have looked after two kids, even without having implants. They have fluffed up a bit more though since the explant. They do not ripple anymore when I bend over. The scars still are tethered but not as badly. And, I figured out they got tethered after healing from the implant surgery, not explant.

The other day I realized that my breasts are no longer a self esteem issue. I just don't care that they are small. They are me and I love me. And I love being able to hug my husband and kids tight, and have them lay on me with no rocks in the way. Those are cherished moments.

The only issue is still not being able to find a pretty bra. This has been a real emotional challenge at times. I am a 34AA but no bra that size works. My breasts hang low and have no volume above the nipple. So, they do not fill the top of the bra cup, regardless of how small the bra is. The cup actually caves in on top.

I have found some little cami bras that are very comfy, and look nice under clothes. I really like them, except they don't look sexy. Some of them even came from the teens section, so I feel weird when my husband sees them. Emotionally, it is also a bit uncomfortable to be an adult women with two kids and having to shop in the same section as 12 year olds getting their first bra.

I will keep looking for a bra, but I am so happy otherwise. I realize a new level of maturity and self confidence.

I would love to hear more of your stories!

I added some new photos taken 3-3-13. And, I have...

I added some new photos taken 3-3-13. And, I have made a new discovery...COCONUT OIL! For 8 months I have been using lotion and massage to get my breasts to firm up and be fuller. Well, I started using coconut oil and the results are very noticeable. The skin has firmed up and no longer wrinkles when I lift my arms or bend over. And my breasts have shockingly fluffed up a bit more. They really look better after only 2 weeks of using it. There are a ton of great uses for coconut oil. Check it out online.
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

He is an outstanding person and physician. I chose to have him do the removal because he put the implants in originally, and I trusted his work.