Juvederm XC For Lips

I am still trying to decide if I like my lips. I...

I am still trying to decide if I like my lips. I literally had no lips prior and people thought I looked mad when relaxed (because my lips turned down naturally). A friend referred me to her nurse who is allegedly an "expert" with injectables so I decided to go for it.

During my consult, the doctor glossed over the downtime, saying that it would not be painful at all- she did warn me I might swell and could possibly bruise for a few days, but that it really was no big deal. When my schedule cleared up, I decided to go for it. The injections themselves did not hurt at all- I hardly felt a thing and it was over in about 20 minutes. I used a whole syringe, which was more than I initially expected to use, but she was confident it would produce natural looking results. After she was finished injecting, she massaged my lips to ensure even product distribution. She said she felt a hard spot on my left upper side and that she thought it would bruise. And bruise I did- my lip turned black on the underside and I developed a pretty noticeable bruise above my top lip on the same side.

My lips were puffy and uneven looking for quite a few days- I'd say a good week it was obvious something was amiss with my face. It's been almost two weeks and the bruising above my lip is gone and the swelling is mostly down, but the underside of my lip that had turned black is still a little lumpy and uneven looking. I went today for a follow up and I expressed my concerns. She felt around and said it still felt like I was healing. She informed me that the lips are very vascular so sometimes the bruises go deeper and this is normal. She did also say that she would happily dissolve some product if I felt it wasn't getting better over the next week or so.

My friend who gets her injections done here said she had a similar experience with Juvederm for her marionette lines- that for a good 3-4 weeks, she could feel the product. I guess it just takes some people more time to heal and for the product to absorb, so I'm hoping that is my situation. My lips definitely look great when I smile and when my mouth is closed. It's very natural looking and unless I had mentioned that I'd done it, no one really noticed or said much. If this little lump would go away and the swelling on the underside goes down, then I will be 100% happy. I will update in a few weeks.

How long did your juvederm xc last?

I'm glad to hear this! I had Juvederm a few days ago and I had no idea I'd look so freakish for the first day or two. I still have four bruises I have to keep covered and one big lump on my upper lip. Hoping it all subsides soon so I can just enjoy my new look.

Was this your first time getting injections? It was for me, so that accounts for why I had a longer healing period. Lips are very vascular so the reason for the lumps/bruising is likely because the needle struck a vein. It will take some time to go away. Try a hot compress- that seemed to help me! The good thing about Juvederm is that it stimulates collagen so you probably will not have to use as much in the future (unless you want to go bigger, of course) and you can avoid this down the road. Good luck, let me know how the healing goes. Trust me, it's going to go down and then you'll be sad- I wish mine were bigger!!
***UPDATE***
It has now been 4 weeks and I'm SO happy with the results. The swelling and lump went away and they look perfect. In fact, I wish they were a little bigger haha. I think the key for a successful experience is to good to a skilled injector and to prepare yourself for some downtime. I think that was my biggest mistake, assuming that I'd be good to go in a few days. Some people heal faster/differently than others and I was definitely on the slower side. I love my new lips and I plan on doing this for a long time.

So glad to hear you are loving the results now!!

I'm always curious if it changes the way your lips "work". Like if it feels different drinking from a cup or straw, or even eating?

They were tender for the first two weeks, so I was careful not to press them together. I actually found drinking through a straw to be easier (especially in the beginnning when they were REALLY bruised and swollen) because I had a hard time putting a cup or bottle to my mouth. They definitely felt funny for a couple weeks, but now that they have healed, I'm more used to them so I don't notice any changes in functionality.
It's been about two weeks since I've had them injected. Everyone is different, but definitely be prepared for some downtime. The first few days I looked like a freak! The swelling on the underside is only noticeable if I open my mouth and tilt my head back so ultimately, it's not the worst thing that could have happened (in case the swelling/lump don't go away)- but after reading many reviews, it seems like this is normal, especially for your first time using juvederm xc.

That is great that reading the reviews helped you realize you weren't the only one who has experienced that!

Please keep us posted on what changes you are seeing & how you are liking it. :)

Well, I'm glad to hear you are happy with the way they look. Hopefully that swelling & lump do go away for you!

How long has it been since you had the injections done?