73 Year Old Upper Functional Blepharoplasty with Some Complication - Santa Cruz, CA

Day #10 since surgery. I am OK and it will be OK,...

Day #10 since surgery. I am OK and it will be OK, but it hasn't been a piece of cake. Decided to do it because my optometrist recommended it, based on one very droopy eyelid that interfered with upper peripheral vision. Also I hoped to look better. Medicare and my secondary insurance covered it all, deeming it necessary. That was motivating.

However, along with the expected post-surgery swelling and bruising, from day #3 on my left eye felt very dry, scratchy and irritated, and my vision was too blurry to read or watch TV comfortably. I told my Plastic Surgeon on Day #6 when he removed the stitches. He was unconcerned; said it was part of healing and that I needed to be patient. It became so very uncomfortable and I was worried. My referring Optomitrist saw me on Day 7 and said the white of my left eye was swollen, an allergic reaction, and gave me steroid eye drops as well as eye lubricating drops. He said to use them both no more than 3x a day. The irritation increased.

Luckily I managed to get an appointment with my optomologist yesterday, day #9.
He greeted me with, "You don't look so good." I didn't! After a very thorough eye exam, he said:
1. It would have been better to have had the surgery from a ocular plastic surgeon. (I didn't know there was such a thing until reading "real self" after the surgery.)
2. My plastic surgeon should have referred me to an Opthomalogust.
3. I do have swelling, a lot, both outside and on the white part of my left eye. It is a complication from the surgery. It will get better with lots of lubricating eye drops; it's not an allergic reaction and I don't need steroid drugs.

I am not comfortable giving the name of my plastic surgeon at this time, because he was difficult to deal with, I still am under his care, and I don't want to offend him at this point with a negative review.

im so sorry you are going through this. i do not know why a person who is supposed to care for you can only care about themselves...i hope you get the issues at hand resolved.
It's 3 weeks today and left eye is less scratchy but still irritating. Drops help. Overall, the bruising and swelling is very significantly better, although still there. Have a follow up today with PS; I expect no help (or even interest) from him, but I am moving in the right direction.
I'm sorry you are dealing with all of these complications, I hope things start to feel better soon.  Don't worry about filling out the doctor portion of your review, that is entirely optional.
Thank you very much. I AM better today--much less scratchy and irritation. This is heartening.
The scratchiness does get better eventually.  Eye drops can really help.  Hang in there!
I had a botched canthopexy from Dr. Neurohr in dallas. THIS HAS BEEN A HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE which ruined my life for 6 months at which time I had skin grafts and corrective surgery from an oculoplastic surgeon.He was so knowledgeable and competent that I wished I had gone to him in the first place. Go to an oculoplastic surgeon if you have more problems which require surgery!!!
What a nightmare. I hope it is better now. Today, the 2 week mark, the irritation is just a little better. I still am extremely bruised and also swollen.
Can you tell me the name of the new surgeon please.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am very upset with myself for not going to an ocular plastic surgeon. My PS should have referred me rather than undertake to do it himself. Now, I can only wait, hope and pray that all will be acceptable in time.
Where are you in the process now and how is it going? I too very much wish I had gone to an ocular plastic surgeon. I am on Day 11 and my left eye is very irritated and uncomfortable and swollen.
i agree,but just because someone is an occuplastic surgeon does not necessarily mean that they are better,although they would be more careful concerning dry eye etc....i hope and pray with you
I went to oculo surgeon and he sucked. At least he undercorrected. But did get refund after threatening giving a bad review
Update on my terrible upper eyelid surgery. Still not acceptable look, cannot close my eyes at rest and must put very thick ointment before sleeping. That sucks big time. My new ocu PS will not consider reconstructive surgery until at least the 6 month mark. Spoke to some lawyers who told me I didn't have much chance on Malpractice lawsuit. Amazing what they can get away with. I hate him so much for disfiguring me. I have to do something to stop him. Any suggestions?