73 Year Old Upper Functional Blepharoplasty with Some Complication - Santa Cruz, CA

Day #10 since surgery. I am OK and it will be OK,...

Day #10 since surgery. I am OK and it will be OK, but it hasn't been a piece of cake. Decided to do it because my optometrist recommended it, based on one very droopy eyelid that interfered with upper peripheral vision. Also I hoped to look better. Medicare and my secondary insurance covered it all, deeming it necessary. That was motivating.

However, along with the expected post-surgery swelling and bruising, from day #3 on my left eye felt very dry, scratchy and irritated, and my vision was too blurry to read or watch TV comfortably. I told my Plastic Surgeon on Day #6 when he removed the stitches. He was unconcerned; said it was part of healing and that I needed to be patient. It became so very uncomfortable and I was worried. My referring Optomitrist saw me on Day 7 and said the white of my left eye was swollen, an allergic reaction, and gave me steroid eye drops as well as eye lubricating drops. He said to use them both no more than 3x a day. The irritation increased.

Luckily I managed to get an appointment with my optomologist yesterday, day #9.
He greeted me with, "You don't look so good." I didn't! After a very thorough eye exam, he said:
1. It would have been better to have had the surgery from a ocular plastic surgeon. (I didn't know there was such a thing until reading "real self" after the surgery.)
2. My plastic surgeon should have referred me to an Opthomalogust.
3. I do have swelling, a lot, both outside and on the white part of my left eye. It is a complication from the surgery. It will get better with lots of lubricating eye drops; it's not an allergic reaction and I don't need steroid drugs.

I am not comfortable giving the name of my plastic surgeon at this time, because he was difficult to deal with, I still am under his care, and I don't want to offend him at this point with a negative review.