Just Had the Lifestyle Lift - Happy So Far - San Ramon, CA

The basic lift costs $4850 which takes care of the...

The basic lift costs $4850 which takes care of the lower third of the cheeks, the jowls, and the jawline. I also opted for a platysmaplasty which was $1000 extra. I did not need the second $1000 option, liposuction, which is recommended for those with a double chin.

They say no intravenous anesthesia is required, but whatever oral pills they gave me (at least two Valiums) knocked me out to the point where I don't remember a thing of the actual operation. The multiple injections of the local anesthetic are the most painful part of the whole procedure, but no worse that what you'd experience in a dentist office.

They won't let you drive home afterwards, so either bring a driver or take a taxi to a nearby hotel (I did the latter). 24 hours later you report back for the surgeon to examine the incisions. All was well so I was sent home for 10 days until time to get the stitches out. From what little I could see between bandage changes, my jawline is much firmer, the jowls are gone, the cheeks look more even, and even the nasolabial folds are less deep.

I'll report back here after the swelling and bruising go down. I was sore the first 30 hours after surgery, but the vicodin to care of it. By 40 hours I felt well enough to work from home, and even made short trips to the grocery store.

Please see updates published as comments.

Please see updates published as comments.

Day 12: I just had all the stitches removed. It...

Day 12: I just had all the stitches removed. It was a fairly painless process. I took my last Vicodin this morning, but I didn't really need it. They replaced the stitches with skin-colored band-aid-like strips; not too swift looking. Women with long hair can easily hide these, but us short-haired guys can't. They're designed to come off in the shower in 4-7 days. Meantime I'm to avoid any strenuous activity or jerky head motions. I still have a few discolorations: a red one under one eye and a blue-green one on my neck, but these are getting less noticeable every day, and can be easily covered with makeup.

I'm currently 7 months post-op. The facelift...

I'm currently 7 months post-op. The facelift continues to look very good. Some small areas of reduced touch sensitivity remain just in front of the ears, but it gets gradually better month after month. All in all a worthwhile experience.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

The only negative comment I have is that the young woman who removed my stitches was not very thorough, as she missed about 6 pieces.

i was going to get this but i have a question.how long before they put your eyeballs back in?
I'm writing this to give anyone confidence in this procedure. I have worked in marketing for 30+ years and am extremely skeptical about advertising claims so I did my homework and then some. I have seen and read every horror story on the internet. Frankly, this surgery is like any other elective cosmetic surgery, but without the general anesthesia. That being the case, it holds less risk, not more. I had the LSL done 5 days ago in San Ramon. I am 57 years old and before 2 years ago had always been pegged for younger than my years. The jawline and neck started going and before my LSL, I looked sad and/or angry all the time. Like everyone, I was anxious about the surgery. What would my healing process be like? Would I really see a difference? How much pain would I feel after? How long? How long before I would be able to go out in public, etc? The first night my bandages slipped off in my constant efforts to get comfortable against the wall of pillows. I went to the bathroom to redress the bandages, afraid to look. I turned on the light, opened my eyes and was shocked. My jaw line was where it was over 10 years ago and my neck was smooth, with no hint of the two lines that would eventually lead to the turkey neck. I was a bit sore around the neck, and my cheeks in front of my ears were numb. But I couldn't believe that I had my face back! I had minimal swelling and bruising. Some, yes and I'm not sure if it was b/c I was using the Arnica Montana, eating pineapple, staying hydrated and eating uber healthy (I'm always a healthy eater. My biggest challenge was sleeping "sitting up" as if in a recliner. I haven't slept well since the procedure because I am a side/stomach sleeper. My back pain wakes me up every night. Before the surgery I examined every photo, testimonial, and experience I could find. One of my concerns was when you sign the release forms they state that you accept your ears will be longer after the surgery. This being the first mention of it (I'm not crazy about the "Consultant" role or the person who was my consultant, but I'll address this in the next paragraph), I was more than taken aback and asked about it. The Consultant said yes, they repositioned the bottom of the ear when they pulled the tissue back, and most people didn't see a significant change. Well the photos I saw DID reveal a significant change. Hello...Dumbo called and wants his lobes back. I called the doctor with a slew of questions (I kind of froze during the initial consult with him and forgot most of my questions) and he put my fears to rest. He has had a successful private practice for years in the SF Bay Area. I had researched him. He said yes, the lobe was temporarily detached and reattached. Sometimes when they replace them they aren't symmetrical with one another as they once were but he has never "lengthened" them. I can happily say that while my right lobe seems maybe 1/32 to 1/16 lower than the left one, I am still happy that my lobes are in line with the base of my nose - which is the norm (trust me I have taken a lot of anatomy classes for art). People differ in this of course, and ears do grow as we age. You just have to know what you will accept and have a very honest talk (ask LOTS of questions) with your SURGEON not your CONSULTANT. Now, about my Consultant. They are the CLOSERS, if you will. They are not medical professionals. Approach them as if you are buying a car and they are the closer the salesperson has brought in, and save the real questions for the doctor. After you sign for the procedure, you will likely never hear or see your Consultant again. They have moved on to the next sale and crossed you off their "to do" list. This is the only part of the LSL I don't like. But having worked in marketing I "got it" early on, and didn't form any unrealistic ideas about her role. The first time I met my doctor, she sat in and I asked the doctor about subsequent weight loss (I have lost 25 lbs and will be losing 30 more as my goal). He answered my questions to my satisfaction and left, then she jumped in and gave me some flier and card with her ALTERNATE business selling some kind of weight loss formula/consultation. It was inappropriate and unprofessional on her part. I'm sure LSL doesn't care because it's not a conflict of interest, but I found her tactics repugnant. She was never reachable after I signed up for the procedure, but expected me to call her for weight loss consultation? Huh? Thankfully my doctor was the saving grace in all of this and he is the reason I would recommend this procedure to anyone. Any of the postings that you read saying procedures aren't done by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons are bull. He is even removing my sutures. Techs may assist but they don't perform ANY of the procedure. He called me the afternoon of the procedure and I saw him the day after. He makes himself available to his patients, LSL or private practice. The only difference is that with LSL you are initially supposed to call LSL first so they can page him. This isn't a "new" procedure. It's something he's been doing for years but with the patient under general anesthesia, not local and oral. That's the only difference. As a patient you have to have your expectations in line before you decide to do this. You will still look like yourself. Just refreshed with some years shaved off. It will not stop the aging process, it just "resets the clock". You will not look like anyone else. If you want radical plastic surgery this is not the procedure for you.
Twoguyzanon, your LSL experience in San Ramon was essentially identical to mine. For me also the most difficult part was getting sleep in the recommended position. After three weeks I gave up and slept on my sides, as I was accustomed to. Today marks two months since I had the procedure, and I'm still well satisfied.
John, thank you for your reply. Good to know you are still satisfied. My chin still feels "hard" to the touch, but I know this will dissipate in time, so I'm not worried. I get stitches out today and was so hoping I could go back to sleeping normally but I guess not, according to your experience. For me, it has been hands down the most difficult thing about this process, the irony being one needs to be rested when recovering from any surgery. I simply can't get to sleep and stay asleep in that position. I'm going to ask the doc today if he has any recommendations, as I'm sure it's a common complaint.
Let us know what the doc says about the sleeping issue. It was never clear to me how long I was supposed to avoid sleeping on the ears. Sleeping pills may help, but in my experience the over-the-counter ones don't do much good.
I don't know Dr. McNemar. I had my surgery done on 8/5 and still have a great deal of swelling at my jaw line - particulary on the left. The "hole" is still not gone and I also have a red band that is moving upward with time. I had "blood blisters up the left side of my cheek. I stilll have divots from that but the Mederma is helping. Everything that I am dealing with is most likely from having a the bandage put on too tight right after surgery. It is still very irritated around the healing hole at the cartilage. It doesn't look soft. It is dissipating very slowly. My doctor had said that he had seen the amount of irritation when the bandage was changed the day after, although I was not made aware until I removed the wrap two days later in order to shower. Dr. Gray said that he probably over-lipoed me (two 1" slash marks on the right side of my upper neck, although the ones on the left were not noticeable). I have always known that I had a great deal of excess skin and on other consultants elsewhere was told that I did not have excess fat. I am using Mederma for the healed scars (front of ears and temples), although can't say that the neck/lower jaw are yet healed. You can only apply Mederma to healed sites. I bought two tubes of Mederma - one with SPF30. Walmart did not have it in stock or Arnica tablets, but they ordered both for me and they were available the next day. You may want to google post-surgical swelling because interestingly enough it will direct you to Liposuction swelling sites. I am in good health but have sensitive skin. I don't know when the bands and hole that were not necessarily related to the surgery will heal. I have felt confident to go out in the dark ;-), but am still not that acceptable in the light of day. I have used a pressed powder to look better. I don't pay much attention to the scars behind my ears - one is approximately 2 1/2" and the other 3" long and run back into my hair. I was told it would be a small incision - they are not... Was told that it would be a small incision at the front of my ear - they were not. It has looked like I was a victim of a crime where someone attempted to cut my ears off and my throat was slashed. Wishing you the best...
To answer your question, I am indeed satisfied with the results. My face easily looks 10 years younger, no jowls, no flabby sagging cheeks. I'm on day 45, and I still have extensive numbness. It is mostly in a triangular area bounded by the lower 2/3 of the ear, and from there branching down to the jaw line and extending halfway towards the corner of the mouth. Initially it felt like I was living inside someone else's skin, but I'm gradually getting used to the feeling. Shaving with a razor feels very strange because I can't tell how hard the razor is pressing down on my lower cheeks. The incisions have healed very nicely, and the scars are hardly noticeable any more.
Your postings have been the most helpful of anyone's I've seen regarding LSL. I'm going on 9/24 to have it done with Dr.McNemar in San Ramon. I hope he's as good as your doctor. I'm having the neck and jaw line done, nothing else. That's enough! I'm a little worried about swelling, bruising, and my ears getting "put back wrong". I know any time there is trauma you will have swelling and bruising, and you need to allow reasonable time to recover. One has to be realistic about what they expect to look like and how quickly they will heal. The better your health, the better your results will be in terms of healing. Do you know anything about Dr. M? Thanks!
Hello 6290. I completed my 5th week of recovery on 9/9. I still have a hole in the front of my neck, although it's abut a 3/4" slit in the front.The area surrounding the slit is inflammed and is probably fist sized. There is "lipping" of extra skin above the slit which I continually try to massage away. If I keep my chin down it's not that noticeable from the front, but obviously is in profile (particularly on the left side).The left side is where it didn't drain after surgery and I had a blood clot in the drainage tube that had been behind my head.The "blisters" along my left cheek bone healed but with big divots. I am using Mederma on it and hope that in time it will not be that noticeable. The blisters (?) behind my left ear are resolving but again I have big divots and they are still too tender for Mederma. I am still swollen very much under my chin /jaw (ears) and on both sides of my face it's hard and numb (more so on the left). Because of the swelling my chin scar is ragged looking and I haven't yet worn earrings. Part of not wearing earrings is not to bring attention to an ugly area and the fact that my lower ears still hurt.I have felt like Frankenstein's bride and have been asked if I would do this again. I can't say that I would and even feel guilty about spending the money particularly with this outcome...I have been depressed thinking of what I have done to myself and not knowing when I will look like myself again...To think that I "elected" to do this is beyond comprehension.
Thank you John and 1405anon for sharing your story. My girlfriend and I went to LifeStyle Lift recently. Both your after surgery challenges were not discussed with us. Your comments made it more of a reality of the pain, numbness, dressings, etc. In our meeting the afer surgery was down played. Please advise how you both are now feeling with the healing process - and mostly if you are still feeling areas of numbness. Are you satisfied with the results? Thank you again for sharing.
I did go to my function, although had steristrips on the front of my ears and a big bandage on the gaping hole in the front of my neck. I fluffed a scarf and wore my hair over my ears. Unfortunately it was windy. Nobody asked...and I didn't volunteer anything. I am today at day 21. All steristrips are off. I still have a gaping hole in my neck at my throat although it is not as large. I keep it moistened and massage the lipping skin 4x daily so it doesn't scar with a lump. I also pad the wrap all around my jaw and at my throat before bed at night. The blood blisters(?) behind my left ear are still oozing although the ones across my left cheek in the hollow are now healed. It is truly amazing how much your face can swell. I am glad to see my cheekbones again and the hollows that weren't... With the heat the other day I was just absolutely miserable. Salt in the wound? You betcha... Perspiration, swelling, healing made everything itch. My lipo "holes" are almost healed. The scarlet band around the top of my neck under my jaw are diminishing. My ears look pretty good. My skin still feels hard and leathery near the ears. I hope that too will go away soon. I think that you would have had to have had fat injected into your hollows if you wanted to plump them. Remember Geraldo Rivera did that a number of years ago. I do recall that he did very gaunt prior to his surgery. Wishing everyone the best and looking forward to getting on with my life.
I'm on day 27. The last of my bruising and discolorations was gone by day 23. What I don't like is that some of the hollowness in my cheeks has returned, now that all the swelling is gone. Oh well, it still looks better than before, and my jawline is amazing. I still have some pain in my throat area whenever I yawn. Also, I found two stitches that they missed. I'll see if my daughter can pull them out with tweezers. When I went to church service on Sunday, people kept asking me, "Did you loose a lot of weight? You look skinnier." I guess that's a compliment of sorts.
I saw Dr. Gray on Tuesday. I wanted some advice to prevent further scarring. A ligature (a broad raw skin line around the neck looking similar to having been hanged) was part of the swelling process and could have also been part of the lipo. I was surprised I had lipo as I hadn't signed up for it, although was told that everyone has some fat around their neck and he deemed it necessary. He told me to eat pineapple (natural enzyme to dissipate bruising) and also try some Arnica (natural plant) tablets to also aid in bruise reduction. I did some research on the web and found that at this point I could use warm compresses and topical application of vitamin E would also be helpful. I do not have any Arnica tablets, but gel instead. I am using the antibiotic cream on the open areas and vit E and warm compresses on the rest. My ears are a bit numb in the front although are resolving and my stitches in the back of my head are the only ones that are really bothersome (tight and still crusty). I keep all of them moist. Unfortunately I have very neon yellow beyond my ligature which is still scarlet although smaller in size than it was on Sunday. I am at day 7 today, although the healing process has not been as easy or quick as I had hoped. I get my stitches out on Monday. I have a function on 8/21 and hope not to look like a member of Frankenstein's family. I hope that it has been worth it to you...
Were you able to go to your function. I am post op day 12
I too was surprised over the extent of incisions around the ears. Not sure what a ligature looks like, but I had considerable bruising in the neck area, which is still noticeable on day 14. I also have some skin 'bunching' behind one ear, but was told it will disappear with time and massage. Surprisingly, the incision under my chin is the only spot that is still sore and irritated; it is not noticeable because mine is in the bottom margin of my goatee. Also somewhat disturbing is the loss of touch sensitivity along the jaw line and lower cheeks. I'm told those nerves will regenerate after a few months.

I wasn't truthful about the timing of my surgery. I had it done on 8/5. I consider the upper eyes a breeze. No pain and hardly no swelling. I didn't feel that I was told the truth in terms in incisions in the front and back of my ears / head. I was told that it was small and would heal nicely. The stitches are micro and am certain that they will heal well, although I look like someone tried to reattach my ears. The suture under my chin from my neck is not micro, although will not be noticeable once the swelling has dissipated. My concern is that I have a "ligature" on my neck and it is raw. It's from surgery / re-wrap the following day. The wrap was too tight both times. Icould hardly swallow. I called on Sunday and was told to massage it. I think I will try to get in today. Would hate to have a scar for something not even within my control. It also makes putting the strap on at night very tricky (need to pad and avoid) and perhaps not very effective.

No, my upper lids were done by a different doctor. They look nice enough, but now I have a problem with Dry Eyes, requiring frequent application of lubricant drops. Then again, who knows if the blepharoplasty caused it since it didn't become apparent until four months later. When the nurse changed out my bandages the first time (the day after the face lift), I remarked that I didn't have any on hand, so she gave me a full pack of them. I don't know if that is standard practice. I don't think gauze bandages or elastic wrap are on the list of things we were told to get.
Hi Rich. Did Dr. Gray also do your upper lids? How old are you. You mention bandages at night. The requirement for those were crossed off my list and am now thinking I need to buy some. I decided I only wanted to feel "bad" once and that's why I am doing everything at the same time. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain, although this is my first elective. I am enjoying your progress and it sounds like you are doing well. Thanks for the continued information.
Forgot to mention, I am a 67 year old male. I wouldn't be bothering with the cosmetic surgeries, except that I became widowed a few years ago, and am now actively trying to attract a new lady companion. :-)
I don't know how to add more text and photos to my existing post, so I'll just continue in this comment. Day 3: Yea! From now on I only need to wear the bandages and ace wrap while sleeping. Day 4: Not enough pain left to justify taking more Vicodin, although the discomfort from the tight sutures is unpleasant. Still lots of bruising evident, the worst of it in my neck, but a scarf (in the middle of summer?) would cover that. One ear lobe looks a bit messy. Also, there is considerable fluid accumulation under my eyes, which is similar to what I had with my upper eyelid blepharoplasty one year ago. One thing that is disconcerting is that you have very little touch sensation around the ears and jawline. I understand that will come back in due time. I get the sutures removed on day 12, so I’ll write more after that happens. Note to 140Sanon: The upper lids by themselves are not a big deal (I had that done one year ago), but added to the rest of the surgery may just make you feel that much worse. After surgery, all I wanted to do was sleep, but even that is not easy because you must keep your head elevated. After the face/neck lift, only the scalp, ears, and neck were bandaged. You can eat, but not anything too chewy because chewing pulls uncomfortably on the sutures by the ears. The stitches are relatively small, but you can see a crusty-looking red line connecting them, and for the first three days the bandages have to stay on 24/7.

Thanks for sharing your recovery progress. You can update your original review by clicking the "Edit" link at the top (near the title). Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

I will have surgery with Dr. Gray in the next few weeks. Thank you for writing the post. In addition to what you had done I will also have my upper lids done. How did you feel the day after surgery? Was your head wrapped and were you able to eat? It sounds like you still have stitches. Are they small and even?