Did Retin A and Hydroquonine Permenantly Damage my Face??-San Jose, CA

Hi, I began using Retin 0.1% and Hydriquonine...

Hi,

I began using Retin 0.1% and Hydriquonine 6% on Sep of this year I used it for about 3 weeks only at night (every other night I might add). I did go out in the sun a few times and I don't know if perhaps I was not well protected with sunscreen. I noticed that I had developed new pores, some broken capillaries around nose, and my skin just seems thin and somewhat leathery with creases (could this just be extreme dryness help??!!). I stopped using it for about 3 weeks now. I am pretty devastated what should I do I am mortified to leave the house? My face was mildly tanned before from being outdoors in the summer but I did not have bad skin at all (no acne). My face now looks some what like porcelain from a distance since it's lighter, and I seem to be getting more attention. However when I look at it close up in the mirror my skins seems thin ( this is what I meant when I said leathery, could this just be extreme dryness or that outer layer that's suppose to shed? ) I have a few creases under my eyes and some redness around my nose. I am not peeling though. Should I have continued using the product to see the magical results everyone talks about? I just thought maybe I could get some fee-back here since everyone on here is so knowledgeable. My insurance has ended so I am not able to go see my dermatologist. I need some feed back please.

If you are going to use Retin you cannot expose...

If you are going to use Retin you cannot expose your self to the sun at all. I regret doing so!!

Hi, i think your error was mixing Hydroquinone and retin-a 0.1%. When i went to my dermatologist, she warned me against mixing Hydroquinone with anything above a strength of 0.025%, however in extreme cases of marks, which did not include me, she allowed it to be mixed with 0.05%. She said they are to only use that for a short time because retin-a is absorbed into your skin and the Hydroquinone is really only for surface areas as it can damage your skin if it goes pass the dermis. So it is almost like the may tell you to mix the Hydroquinone with retin-a of a lower strength so that it would be absorbed into your skin, thereby increasing the strength. But it is also a very sensitive product that you do not want it going pass certain layers and damaging areas that are difficult to restore. retin-a is great to go beyond the dermis and clear out any cysts, information. whiteheads, blackheads etc. another point which i learnt previously, retin-a generates new skin tissues more quickly, especially the stronger ones like 0.1%. these are sensitive to sunlight, so you really shouldn't risk it. Coupled with Hydroquinone, i don't know what Hydroquinone in the sun does to your face, but I just complied with my derm because from the start she was very clear Hydroquinone is not something to mess with, yes it can lighten, but used wrongly, it can damage. I think the main problem is the mixture, and make sure to double check what you mix Retin- A with, because it may be better to go with a lower strength retin-a. We may want results fast but your face is one of the most sensitive areas of skin.
Hi You are probably right but when so called good doctors are prescribing this for you we assume they know what they are doing but truth be told i think most of them are doctors for the wrong reasons such as money and not in it for the best interest of their patients. I am so diappointed with the medical physicians I almost don't trust any of them especially in the cosmetic field like plastic surgeons & dermatologists. There seems to be more people damaged by lasers, hydroquinone ect..then have been helped & i think the fda should ban some of these lasers & definitely hydroquinone.
Hi just want to let you all know we can put a complaint in to the FDA on anything medical & even over the counter. Here is wensite as the FDA needs to hear what is haopening. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ReportsManualsForms/Forms/UCM349464.pdf
Why!? Because you want Retin-a banned!? When it works so well for the majority of people who use it, but doesn't work some others? I can't take Aspirin or most antibiotics, but I wouldn't choose to have them banned when they work so well for the majority of other people. Everyone is different - we all have different genetics and different body chemistry, everyone eats different things and is exposed to different chemicals, etc, therefore they will have different results and reactions. It's just life and more people just need to learn to suck it up and get on with it. I'll just add that I used to have extremely sensitive and reactive skin, but I have not had any adverse reactions to Retin-a or hydroquinone. But I don't drink or smoke, I don't take any medications internally, I have an extremely healthy diet, mind-set and fitness regime -- all of these things can make it so one person has a good outcome whilst another person has a bad outcome. I will add that my previously very sensitive skin has become way more resilient since I removed certain things from my diet, like: sugar, dairy, wheat and I added some supplements that make a massive difference to my skin (I know it's the supplements because if I run out of them or forget to take them my skin starts playing up immediately). I will add that I had DISASTROUS outcome from laser a few years back -- but after the diet and lifestyle changes I've made since I'm pretty sure if I had laser now I would have a drastically different outcome. In a way the laser disaster made me take stock and radically overhaul my diet and lifestyle, as well make me be really careful about what I put on my skin. Remember, everyone is different and what works for one person can spell disaster for another... that's life! ;-)
Lol never expected such an out lash but whatever. My concern is we as patients are lied to & if doctors won't tell us the truth then we need to report it. Now simmer down and i am glad you have had a good experience but i have a voice and i will use it to educate others and neither you or anyone else will stop me. i too take good care by diet & exercise. Hydroquinone is a toxin and banned in other counties and use in hair dye. if i have a bad reaction the FDA will know about it and as you said and i quote "that's life" ; )
It's not a lash out, it's just a different perspective. We all have different experiences and reactions to all sorts of things. I can't emphasize enough how important it is to start with the lowest strength Retin-a (0.025%) and even then only use it every third night so that the skin can adjust, then use it every second night. Once the skin has adjusted after several months, go up to the next strength, again every third night and so on. And using the highest strength sunscreen for day is imperative - I prefer zinc based sunscreen but that's just me - the upside to zinc is that apart from sun protection it's anti-inflammatory and it helps the skin to heal - so really it's a win-win to use in combination with Retin-a. Retin-a does cause increased cell turnover and in some people they can experience excessive exfoliation and the new skin coming to the surface is only as healthy as the persons diet and lifestyle. As I've mentioned in some of my other posts, I've experienced some horrific episodes using Retin-a but it was of my own doing because I used too much too soon, used it every night, etc - I learned very quickly to use it very conservatively and at the most every second night. Now I only use it once a week. My derm always comments on how my skin is 10-12 years younger than my chronological age due to my loyal use of Retin-a and sunscreen for the last 14 years. Sure I have breaks from it to give my skin a rest and also my liver, and in the interim I will use things like Matrixyl 3000, copper peptides, etc. My point in my above post is that, what works for some wont always work for others and vice-versa but it doesn't mean that a product is terrible and needs to be reported and banned, etc. Just keep things in perspective. I had a horrible experience with lasers but I know people who have had fantastic results from them and look like they've had a facelift - that's life, we just all need to get on with it! ;-)
I used retin A for 10 years under doctors care & yes i received many comments on how beautiful my skin was even with laser damage but there is a downside that no doctor ever let me know. Here are 2 sites to prove the truth to what i am saying. The retin A damage seems to go away but the hydrquinone issue does not. http://www.drugs.com/sfx/retin-a-side-effects.html http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0365-05962010000500017&script=sci_arttext&tlng=en. That's an unfortunate side of life that is probably not so easy for these people to get on with it. So just because you think you know how to care for your skin there are alot of people who rely on their doctors who dont care for their patients correctly. Your ongoing quotes of thats life and suck it up is a sign of selfishness. Your worried about yourself i care about others.
No that's not true at all and you can't make that sort of judgement about someone unless it's you yourself who is selfish - you clearly have no idea what you're talking about when you're trying to sum someone else up. In life people do need to learn to just get on with things, that's reality and it's not based on a perspective of selfishness at all. Your wild speculations are out of control. I've actually helped MANY MANY people on realself who have contacted me directly wanting assistance and wanting to know what worked for me, so you clearly have no idea and you're just a petty spiteful person -- see, it's not nice when people make assumptions about you when they don't even know you, is it? How many people do you know that have given hours upon hours of their free time and knowledge to selflessly help total strangers that have inboxed them? A doctor would charge a fortune for the information I have given to victims of laser damage for free. My qualifications are in nutrition and now I'm studying psychology, so I do kind of know what I'm talking about. A lot of this free advice I've given to people has been about what skincare products I used and then what dietary and supplement changes I made which expedited my recovery, and how to create a more positive outlook to help them cover from a psychological perspective. From your above comments, you're the one that actually needs to do a bit of self-reflection.
I didnt read all you wrote but i apologize and if you help people that is great. It is time for me to move on from here. I wish you all the best : )
Ugh. I'm kinda sick of people belligerently defending retin a and refusing to accept that people can use it correctly and still damage their skin. Trust me, it happens, and the longer you use the stuff, the more likely it is to happen to you, so you need to watch out for it. I used retin a CORRECTLY (even less than I was supposed to, in fact) off and on for years so I can say this from experience. You are all secretly afraid of it happening you--and you are right to fear it. Yes, Retin A can be a great help sometimes, but it also THINS THE TOP LAYER OF YOUR SKIN while it does it, making it more vulnerable to damage (not just sun, but acne scars, if you suffer acne). It's why over time, people get slow healing and scars, and ironically, the thinning of the top layer can also make you more vulnerable not just to acne scars, but to the acne itself due to the fact that the skin doesn't have that extra layer of protection from bacteria and germs. Because it's slower to heal, it's also slower to fight off infection. This is why eventually, zits can stick around forever and the skin sort of just stops shedding (there is nothing left to shed so it just eats away more and more of that top layer making you skin appear craggy). I suspect we all have a different threshold when it comes to the point where it starts to damage (some seem to get it much much earlier than others), but I'd just exfoliate daily with a clarisonic brush or olay brush if you want smoother looking skin and only use the retin sparingly after the inital 6 months. My skin eventually started appearing leathery and I was only using it 2x a week when I quit it. Ever since I switched to an olay brush my skin appears SO MUCH better it's not even funny. That said, it's not the end of the world if you do get a little damage people! Sure, it sucks, but I think some of you need to get a grip....this is not the kind of damage that anyone but YOU is likely to notice. Any damage you could get from retin a will only ever be shallow (as it thickens the bottom layer) and damage like this slowly heals over time (I would know).
Gee, what a biased view based on your own opinion: "people belligerently defending retin-a" -- those people who are belligerently defending retin-a (myself included) are clearly the people that have successful outcomes from it! Granted, some people will have bad outcomes -- not everything is suited to all people - that's just life! Clearly the Olay brush works for you, but I'm sure for some people it causes all sorts of over-exfoliation and irritation! WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT!
My skin got damaged from this stuff. Reading your words make me sick.
I get the feeling a lot of women give up on this product because they don't follow instructions carefully. You have to start in very cautiously in the beginning. When the irritation starts up, and it will because it's SUPPOSED to, don't go to pieces, just back off till your skin feels better, then use it again, very cautiously. Never let the sun EVER hit your face while using this. How hard is that to follow? Wear a sun hat whenver you leave the house. Don't depend on sunscreen alone.

I'm sure there are some people who have a bad outcome due to not following the instructions, or not fully understanding them, but not every product/treatment is for every person. I think even if applied perfectly it probably isn't the right choice for some people.

I get the feeling you're not a doctor. You shouldn't be instructing people that stuff like this is "supposed" to happen.
The same things keep getting said over and over that don't seem to add to the discussion. I'm not flaming the folks who would just like some online mental support and who are reaching out for that, or folks like Della80 who have legit questions, but others who haven't read anything on here and straight up complaining about conditions induced by not using the stuff properly. The issue isn't whether or not your skin is damaged, but whether you used the reputable product or some other thing and also did you use it properly and did you get the right strength and preparation. Folks, enough people have posted on here to inform everyone of EXACTLY how to use Retin A, what the different strengths are about, AND the different preparations, ie, gels versus creams of the same brand. Just begin reading this thread from the top. Are people doing this? If you have PROPERLY tried it the way SEVERAL have outlined on here and still experience probs, sure post. But really, if you use the simple ingredient, tretinoin, then you just have to be patient most of the time and go VERY SLOW, address complications efficiently as they occur, and use the lowest percentage first and DON'T get the gel. Bear in mind, that practically every medical ointment or medicine that is prescription is not appropriate for a segment of the population. This is not a surprise. That's why, for example, they ask you on a simple new patient sheet in a doc's office, just what meds you have a reaction to. That's why the risks are ALWAYS listed when you get your prescription filled - that sheet of paper that comes with the med, no matter where you buy it. It happens. Nothing works for everyone. I just feel as if a dead horse is being flogged on here and that several people are not paying attention to what was already posted multiple times by multiple people.
Wow! Seems clear to me that this is a dangerous product. Orange peel skin is actually a pretty common bad outcome. In my experience very many dermatologist are cautious about using retinol other than briefly for the purpose of exfoliation for preparation for a peel. This is for the reason of so many bad outcomes.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

I have to be careful about how often I use Retin-A on my face or it makes my face have pink spots that sometimes become small sores in places. It also dries out my skin and I have to put Palmer's Cocoa Butter on it and keep rubbing it in to remove the dead skin. If I use it a little more than a week apart then I am good and my face fills out fuller and my skin gets softer. This is a medicine that you have to just practice using to see how your skin will react to it. It is a little too strong for me at 0.5 so I go easy on using it but I do like the end results when the spots go away. Tamm
I would steer clean from retinol products. It gave my cheeks an orange peel texture and gave me scars! I have pictures to prove it! I'm on month 4 not using retinol and my skin is slowly getting better. I'd stay away, I'm on 27 and retinol gave me the texture of a 60 maybe even 70 year old...in a few months i should have my old skin back i hope!
I had exactly the same side effects you had got and I am deeply depressed and completely devastated. I am 36 years old and end up with scarring and dents and range peel texture and leathery skin, ironically I was advised using it for slightly sun spots which actually got worse, and I use it just for two or three weeks, I can not look at myself without broking into tears. I am scared to death even to think that the damage will be permanent. Please tell me if your scarring and dents are improving, Retinol 0.5 destroyed my life and life of my family who is suffering because of me.
I've had the same experience and am juat starting to get consults about what can be done without causing further damage. Since you are quite young I would guess you will likely eventually heal. You probably know to use very very mild products for sensitive skin, and nothing that causes redness--an inflamatory response. Best of luck to you.
Just letting you know, without using any harsh products, using natural oils to cleanse and moisturize my skin has gotten better but not back to the former state. Baby your skin! Retinol/Retin A is an ACID. I heard it could take 6 to 9 months for this issue to heal, I'm a little over 4 months and have seen improvement. I'd advise you to be as gentle as can be. I've heard of others with this problem and they said with proper nutrition, exercise, babying skin, etc. Their skin returned to their formal state. What is experienced of the enlarged pores is "inflammation." I've done research for the past 4 months, based on experience, this has been very hard on my self esteem. Almost ruined my relationship with my amazing boyfriend, because he was sick of me crying about my face. Stay strong!
I would stop using immediately. How long ago has is been since you've stopped using Retin-a?
Retin a and Retinol are two different things, and stop exaggerating. I know exactly what your referring to (as I too, experienced leathery skin from retin a) but there is no way if made your skin have the texture of a 70 yr old. Lol, a 50 yr old man is what I always compared mine to! But seriously, I bet your skin looks better now.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-