Happy with a new, improved chin - San Francisco, CA

I have my surgery scheduled for this week. I've...

I have my surgery scheduled for this week. I've always felt self-conscious about my weak chin, especially after seeing pictures of my profile. I guess I'm hoping to match what I picture myself to look like, seeing myself face-on in the mirror. Anyway, I am feeling anxious about my surgery this week, and hoping for the best.

Tomorrow

Can't believe it's tomorrow already! I'm posting a couple 'before' pictures for reference. Hoping all goes well and the recovery isn't too bad.

Post-surgery, so far so good

Had the surgery this morning, and I'm back at home resting up. Doctor has be wrapped in a big ace bandage and asked I keep it on for two days, so the big reveal won't be until Sunday. Definitely sore, and I hear tomorrow may be worse before it starts getting better.

Thought I could share more details in case it's helpful for anyone else out there. When I had my pre-op consultation, the doc explained he tries different sized implants while I'm under and makes the decision then. We talked about my goals (wanted a more athletic, masculine look, but not overdone) and I trusted him from there. He told me afterwards he used a large, pre-jowl Mittelman with wings, but he also customized it with another capsule piece he sewed to the front/top for more projection there. He had told me about that option at my pre-op visit. He said my chin was unusual in that it goes more vertical in shape, so he would have to work on getting the implant higher than usual and projecting outward, instead of down, which would happen if he placed it at the more normal location at the bottom of the chin.

I liked how Dr. Mabrie seemed to have a good eye for detail and thought his before and after results on other patients were impressive, which is the main reason why I ended up choosing him. I did consult with another doctor, who had a different viewpoint that gave me a little pause. He thought that implants placed from under the chin had more of a risk of shifting downwards over 10-20 years, so he preferred going through the mouth. I decided the risk was ok with me.

Ok stay tuned for the reveal in a couple days!

Two days post-op

Got the wraps off, and what a shock. Still getting used to it, and I know the swelling will go down. I think the surgeon did a good job just thinking about what people will say.

First day back at work

Had my post-op visit, where the doctor took out the sutures and answered some questions. Still have a bandage under my chin that should come off in 3-5 days.

Went to work after that, and it was a bit of a stressful day for me! I totally overthink things so bear with me. Most of what I've read on this site seemed really nonchalant, that people don't notice much. My doctor said the same thing, that even one of his patient's mothers didn't notice. I didn't know how it would be for me. My plan was to wear this new pair of glasses with a slight prescription that I had gotten recently to give people something to fixate on if I looked different to them. I haven't worn glasses since I got Lasik a decade ago. The glasses worked, for the most part. A few people just complimented me on them, but a few people kind of wigged out. One co-worker said, nice glasses, but kept looking at me. She said, "Something else is different." Another co-worker, who I've worked with closely for four years, came in to a meeting late and said, "Oh my God, I totally didn't recognize you in those glasses! You look like a completely different person, especially in profile!" I gave them both the swollen-from-dental-surgery excuse and said it was an abscess. I do think there is some "mental voodoo" that happens where people come to accept that this is what you look like and don't think twice about it.

A couple co-workers who I had told about the procedure were delighted for me and said it looked good.

Anyway I think I'm mostly out of the woods, but I have to keep wearing these darn glasses for a little while.

Another thing

Also, I had noticed a bit of looseness in the skin under my chin that wasn't there when I first got my bandages off. The doctor said that will continue to tighten as I heal in the next few weeks.

11 days post

Just a quick update. Feeling more like "myself" now -- it took about 7 days. One thing I didn't realize before is the implant isn't totally snug for 2-3 weeks after the surgery, at least for me. The doctor suggested I nudge it slightly upwards so it doesn't settle too far down and make my face look too long. It's a little surreal to be pushing your face around though! Here's a before and after pic of me 11 days out.

Also feel comfortable meeting old friends, etc. They don't notice! Only thing left is what my folks will think.
David Mabrie, MD

Although the end result is very nice, I am a little afraid of how an additional piece is sewn onto the top of the implant because the doctor is assuming that the healing process will lock the implant in place. I feel that a custom would have done best. Althought it would've cost at least 2x.
Wow! Your chin looks so perfect! It's like you were born with it. Did your parents notice?
Looks amazing! I hope mine turns out just as good. :-)
Your results are sooo amazing. You should be so thrilled. If I weren't in SoCal, I would have done Dr. Mabrie. That's very strange about the implant not settling though.. When I touch mine it is hard as a rock and there is no moving. I wonder if that has to do with the type? Makes me nervous not going to lie! I don't want a long face! I like where mine is.
Im going to take a guess here but it might be cause his had an extension sewn onto the front of another implant. That front piece might possibly have a small amount of play. Just guessing though.
Yep it's mostly because of the second piece. There's a little bit of give.
did the implant make your face Vertically longer? and by how much?
I think it did, by a little, but I don't have a way to measure it from before.
Thank you for that update. Mabrie did a great job and you look fantastic. Really cool that people didnt even notice. Im 100% sold on Mabrie. Ill be doing my own review when I start the process. Thank you
If you wouldnt mind one more update to see how its going, I would really appreciate it. Your results have. Convinced me that Mabrie is the way to go and Im scheduling a consult.
Any chance you could give us another update and let us know how you feel now that you are further removed from the operation.
look like good
It is still a little swollen, but it looks much better already. I've scrutinized his before and afters and I think he has an incredibly gifted aesthetic eye. It should turn out great.
Thanks a lot. I was impressed with the before and after photos he showed me too. He also noticed details like, I have an overactive mentalis muscle under my mouth that could interfere a bit with the final results, and we'd see if Botox could be helpful afterwards.
can you tell me what size was the implant they put it? Did you do it under general or local? Thanks
Yup, I think I mentioned it in my review above, but it was a large Mittleman with wings customized with a small capsule. It was general.
Wow! What an improvement in your chin that has made, congrats.
Thank you!
Did anyone ask you about your bandage under the chin? My doc said to leave my tape on for another week so the scar heals nicely so I will have to wear it the first couple days back to work. I told everyone I had dental work done too, but I don't know how I'll explain tape under my chin. Did your doc give you a chin strap? They didn't tell me about a chin strap before and when I went in for my post op today he asked me where it was... I was really confused but bought one anyways. I had a similar thing happen where under my chin was a good clean angle and then over the next few days the swelling all settled under there making it look not as good. I bet if you get a chin strap or wrap an ace bandage around there when you're sleeping it will help the swelling not settle there! Thanks for the update!
Hi, nobody asked me about the bandage but I also have the excuse that I could've cut myself shaving. My doctor showed me pictures of someone else where a few days out the skin looked looser under the chin, and then how it looked much better after four weeks. He said I didn't need a chin strap, it's just it's puffy now and will heal tighter. Good luck in your recovery and hope no one asks you about the bandage! You could say you cut yourself by accident.
Dont stress bro. Your results are amazing. Wear the glasses for a bit, it will all be water under the bridge soon.
Thanks man. Will try to relax!
Love it! What a great result.
Thanks, much appreciated!
Wow! Looks really good for only being a couple days out!!!