Results Surpassed my Expectations. Evan Ransom is More of an Artist Than a Surgeon - San Francisco, CA

I thought about this for years, and probably...

I thought about this for years, and probably really did not need it. But I am a very young virile 65 year old widowed three times now, and the complaint now was I was a grump and did not ever smile anymore for whatever reason. My eyes and jowls weighed heavily preventing me from just smiling or looking happy like I once did. My chief concern was that the procedure would 'feminize' my face, and makes it an irreversible and obvious decision I would regret. I had seen very few good masculine procedures... because IMHO less is more. I shopped around in NYC, LA, and even overseas for many years. I finally gave SF a go, and Dee and Evan were hands down the most personable and honest I encountered. They made me feel comfortable that I would be pleasantly surprised, and I was. They took care of all the details (I travel a lot internationally for work), and to a person (including my mother!), no one noticed anything more than I was looking good. It came down to the restoration of my best features, my eyes and my smile! Even when my GP advised against the surgery because of my ITP (bleeding condition), Evan did not pressure me, but he hooked my up with some UCSF hematologists for evaluation. Eventually I made the decision that I would gut it out if I could get my platelet count up, and fit the surgery into my busy schedule.. Evan had a choice of many surgery centers and hospitals, and that made me feel even more secure that I could have it done without discomfort or risk at my local hospital. I never needed to use -any- of the pain killers, and I was able to return to work immediately (I am in remote IT and work from home). As a former wrestler, I was accustomed to easily getting black eyes as a badge of courage because of my blood condition (which apparently was more than most people get from this procedure). Also, Evan's charitable work with hard case children speaks volumes to me.. AND .. the price was more than reasonable.. Evan does not pull the condescending MD and does sincerely engage you in discussion no matter how routine. It is now 5 months, and the results seem to get even better... I shaved the beard, I am amazed at how much more my eyes sparkle, and how much more I am smiling again. I just bought another 20 years of youth.

Thank you so much for sharing. You do look really youthful! I'm so glad all went well for you and that you're on the other side of this enjoying your results. Do you have a "before" photo so we can see the transformation?

Usgeder! Thank you for sharing here! We need more guys to speak up! I am proud of you for having it done AND for sharing! Kathy

I forgot the BEFORE Pic that really pushed me

This is from a year before the surgery, and I sported a beard to soften the lines.. This was my usual scowl with almost a distorted half smile..

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Why I felt compelled to have the work done....

I managed to keep a youthful face until I was ~55, and then I started getting lines and irregular facial distortions of my smile that made me hide it with a beard. By 2012, my face looked like I had a stroke. It just did not look like me, and it was psychologically causing me to withdraw and become weird. If I were not so healthy, it would have been reasonable to accept.

You look great! In fact, your pictures are the best I've seen of before and after shots. My issue is similar to yours. Would you mind revealing what procedure you had - full or lower facelift? I live on the East coast, and am wondering whether it's feasible for me to consider this surgery in San Francisco. How many visits prior to and post surgery, and what was your recovery like? In any event, thank you for posting = inspiring!
Congratulations you look great and very happy.
devastatingly handsome, even for a 50 year old. kudos to dr. ransom!
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

St. Francis Hospital staff in SF was exceptionally professional and went the extra mile with me after the surgery when I was exhausted, hungry, weak from the anesthesia, and sore from the gurney. They worked with my friend to clean me up and get me dressed to be presentable, and did not rush me out the door in a taxi. IMHO, the hospital staff and the post-op were extremely important in my overall positive experience. It could easily have been a messy nightmare without these people.