Amazing Stuff - San Francisco, CA

I have fair, sensitive skin, and I have had a...

I have fair, sensitive skin, and I have had a great experience with Retin-A, which I wanted to share. This stuff is amazing - I see an immediate and lasting effect on the quality of my skin. I never got redness, irritation, or much flaking (just a touch in the creases on either side of my nose) to the point where it was bothersome. Perhaps it was how I applied it - here is what I did:
*started by using it every 2nd day
*only at night
*waited at least 1/2 hour after washing my face
*started with a very small amount of the low percentage stuff (.05% I think)
*avoided using in the creases of my nose, which is where I got some initial flaking
*didn't use it on the same nights as glycolic acid
*increased the frequency and strength of the cream over several months

From what I understand, Retin A will actually thicken and improve your skin over time, which is amazing. It certainly makes mine look better and helps with my acne (yes, I still have acne in my 30s). I think it is worth trying, and that you need to give it at least 12 weeks before you give up on it. It does take the skin time to adjust. AND you'll need to be dedicated to sunscreen use - Retin A will make your skin more sensitive to the sun. But you should be using sunscreen everyday anyway, and if Retin A does nothing other than enforcing your sunscreen regime, then it is still worth it!

It's been a month since I posted, and my skin has...

It's been a month since I posted, and my skin has not looked like this since I was a pre-teen. It's glowing, the tone is much more even, pores are smaller, and it's getting firmer, with fewer wrinkles. I now have no acne for the first time in 20 years. FYI I also use Proactiv, which has worked exceptionally well. I've been using on my hands and I think it's removing ages spots on them. I wish I had started on this stuff years ago!

Oh, just thought of something. About 3 months...

Oh, just thought of something. About 3 months before i started Retin A I has a light chemical peel (Vitalize Peel), and then was exfoliating a lot (using Proactiv, which has a scrub and a chemical exfoliant). Maybe that's why I never got peeling and flaky skin from Retin A. . .
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

I use Clarins, they have a physical barrier sunscreen that is the bomb. I use physical barrier sunscreen - zinc oxide, sits on top, instead of the traditional chemical barrier, and I've had good luck with that. My sister uses a sunscreen from Skinceuticals which she swears by.

Oh, I haven't tried either of those. I'll have to check those as well! I know Clarins makes some really nice stuff.

So glad to hear your skin is looking so great - that is wonderful!!

Ultrasun Very High 50+ 100ml Ultra Sensitive 100ml is good. Theres also a 50ml one for the face. Both products are one application, non greasy etc. Best have a look on the Ultrasun website for details.

Thanks so much, I'll check it out. :)

That is great that Retin-A worked so well for you! My results were so-so. I liked what it did for my fine lines, but my acne was worse. :-/ Do you mind me asking what sunscreen you are using? I tried two different SPF 50's & a 35, and it seemed they all made me breakout like crazy. Would love to hear which one is working well for you!!