Excess Restylane in Nasolabial Fold Ruined One Side my Lip - San Francisco, CA

I was very pleased with my first time fillers with...

I was very pleased with my first time fillers with him but not so much on my later visit. For now, the excess filler that was put in nasolabial fold nearly 2 years ago has affected best feature of my face (my lips). I'm finding it hard to live with it as it's not going away even after dissolving the filler.
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

I wanted to go to the best hence I chose him after reading great reviews on Yelp and Realself. He did "amazing" job the first time (29 May & 15Jun 2012) when he worked on my virgin face - good effect lasted 2.5 months. It added great volume to my face and absolutely no wrinkles were visible under eye..it was SO good! But then as the filler started fading my nasolabial folds became very prominent, I had never seen myself like this ( I mentioned this to him and he did agree to that!) So for the second treatment (25 Sept,2012) he injected 1 syr Restylane and did an "okay" job. It didn't have the same effect as my first time! My undereyes looked as-is (hollow) like nothing was done there! Rest of the face (cheeks and nasolabial area) looked good except under eyes. I raised my concern to him, so he called me for a 15 min evaluation. I went there on 26Oct 2012. He evaluated and suggested I get more filler. Since it was an evaluation visit he didn't have much time set up for me, but because his next appointment was getting late it gave him some spare time plus I requested we get done with it since I had to take half day off to visit his office. He agreed. According to me, I needed less than 1/2 a syr but he said he doesn't know how much I'd need (really?!). He said 1/2 syr was $500 and 1 syr was $750 (Actually it shd have been $650 because it was my follow up visit!) So looking at the price and his reaction (that 1/2 syr may not be enough) I decided to take 1 syr. He did my under eyes but a lot was still left so he put that on my nasolabial folds. When he was putting on my right nasolabial fold I felt it was TOO much going in there. I looked in the mirror and saw a dimple kind effect there...I asked him why is it becoming like this. He said "I don't know!" I like to completely trust people who are so qualified and like to believe I'm in safe hands. Unfortunately, I was wrong this time!! I got back home and immediately noticed my right under eye filler was very visible, noticeable as it was put superficially and not deep into the tissue. I immediately notified his office. 2 days later on Monday when most of the swelling subsided, the imperfection of right under eye became very clear. I took a selfie and was SHOCKED! The right side of my face was looking horrible. It was not just the under eye, it was also the right upper lip that looked lopsided. I sent that pic to his office. Next day I took another selfie. In that I looked slightly better but right upper lip looked totally lopsided. The pink portion of right upper lip had rolled down and was not visible enough. Also, when I smiled a slanted "wall" of filler was very noticeable on my right nasolabial fold..

Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry you went through this. Did this issue resolve?
Unfortunately it's still there - even after using dissolver (Hyaluronidase) 3 times the lip has not come back to its original position-it's very much drooping from the corners (much more prominent on the right side). Could it be permanent change?! I don't know!
Hi I am a fan of Restylane for about a 1 year or 2. May i ask if he made any revisions for free? Did you find a new doctor for fillers? I am in the southbay(silicon valley) and i plan on doing my upper lip in august. Has your lip reshaped or is it still lopsided? I am very curious as i have never undergone the lips just the nasolabial folds. I do not want that side effect. I hope you are seeing someone else and i hope he meets your expectations Bella
I hv never under gone lip enhancement either. It's the nasalabial folds that caused lopsided ness in lips. He never did any revision. In fact told me that "it's non known to cause lopsidedness" whereas the world knows that excess fillers in nasolabial can shortn upper lip corners. My lips are still very much lopsided - looks like aberrant collagen development in the area which is pushing my lip down.
My doctor is good at revision as he works on moh's cancer patients who have diformity on lip,nose,ear and forehead. You may want a second opinion. He definitely knows skin as he is a md ,dermotologist. I am sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out for you
Sure, I'd like to get a second opinion. Please let me know his details. Thanks..
Hi I meant to spell deformity,sorry for the typo. I will message you his info. Stay positive
Thanks for posting... I am horrified that this surgeon would make such a mistake as overfilling! I have been following his reviews on this site for a couple of years and finally made an appointment with him for July 3rd to have fillers under eye and cheeks. Now, I am really nervous. I don't know if I will keep appointment or cancel. I wish you the best and hope he will rectify the problem without more cost to you.
I want to say he is really a good doc overall. And has eye for beauty..he did make me look very young and refreshed the first time and so many people are happy with him. My only issue is, why did he ignore it when I raised my concern?
Thanks for giving your overall view of this doctor's ability and his "eye for beauty". His work that I have seen pictures of are impressive. I've consulted with a couple of cosmetic surgeons about overfilling and was told that it can indeed create problems. So thanks again for posting because it helps me to follow the rule of "a little goes a long way" when it comes to fillers.
What did they tell you would be the problem with overfilling? could it be as serious as permanent? I went with Restylane because it's dissolvable. I hope my problem is not a permanent one!
If it's any reconciliation, I barely noticed the droop until you had mentioned it. Thanks for your post, it helps to know that excess fillers will have quite a negative effect. All the best
Here’s something very interesting about physical beauty. Anthony Robbins works with one of the best plastic surgeons in the world. The sultan of Brunei pays this surgeon $1 million to fly over and do surgery on three people. He is now writing a book on how he gets the results he does. When you look at the book what you find is that the difference between being beautiful and being average is... a couple of millimetres. He mathematically calculated the exact proportions to make someone beautiful and if you are one or two millimetres out it doesn’t work. He changes proportions on the face by a couple of millimetres and the results are phenomenal. So my point is, it's just couple millimeters which makes the difference..but in my case it's more than a couple, and since its my face I notice the difference quite well ( and so have other injectors I went to!) The effect is more apparent when one looks at the full face.
Very interesting. I've never thought about it like that. Thanks for putting it into perspective. Definitely makes sense. I just don't want the the vision of beauty to consume your life