Excess Restylane in Nasolabial Fold Ruined One Side my Lip - San Francisco, CA

I was very pleased with my first time fillers with...

I was very pleased with my first time fillers with him but not so much on my later visit. For now, the excess filler that was put in nasolabial fold nearly 2 years ago has affected best feature of my face (my lips). I'm finding it hard to live with it as it's not going away even after dissolving the filler.
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

I wanted to go to the best hence I chose him after reading great reviews on Yelp and Realself. He did "amazing" job the first time (29 May & 15Jun 2012) when he worked on my virgin face - good effect lasted 2.5 months. It added great volume to my face and absolutely no wrinkles were visible under eye..it was SO good! But then as the filler started fading my nasolabial folds became very prominent, I had never seen myself like this ( I mentioned this to him and he did agree to that!) So for the second treatment (25 Sept,2012) he injected 1 syr Restylane and did an "okay" job. It didn't have the same effect as my first time! My undereyes looked as-is (hollow) like nothing was done there! Rest of the face (cheeks and nasolabial area) looked good except under eyes. I raised my concern to him, so he called me for a 15 min evaluation. I went there on 26Oct 2012. He evaluated and suggested I get more filler. Since it was an evaluation visit he didn't have much time set up for me, but because his next appointment was getting late it gave him some spare time plus I requested we get done with it since I had to take half day off to visit his office. He agreed. According to me, I needed less than 1/2 a syr but he said he doesn't know how much I'd need (really?!). He said 1/2 syr was $500 and 1 syr was $750 (Actually it shd have been $650 because it was my follow up visit!) So looking at the price and his reaction (that 1/2 syr may not be enough) I decided to take 1 syr. He did my under eyes but a lot was still left so he put that on my nasolabial folds. When he was putting on my right nasolabial fold I felt it was TOO much going in there. I looked in the mirror and saw a dimple kind effect there...I asked him why is it becoming like this. He said "I don't know!" I like to completely trust people who are so qualified and like to believe I'm in safe hands. Unfortunately, I was wrong this time!! I got back home and immediately noticed my right under eye filler was very visible, noticeable as it was put superficially and not deep into the tissue. I immediately notified his office. 2 days later on Monday when most of the swelling subsided, the imperfection of right under eye became very clear. I took a selfie and was SHOCKED! The right side of my face was looking horrible. It was not just the under eye, it was also the right upper lip that looked lopsided. I sent that pic to his office. Next day I took another selfie. In that I looked slightly better but right upper lip looked totally lopsided. The pink portion of right upper lip had rolled down and was not visible enough. Also, when I smiled a slanted "wall" of filler was very noticeable on my right nasolabial fold..

Reading your story makes me wonder what was injected in you. These fillers are supposed to be temporary and not last more than 9 months. I recently had a lip lift including corner lip lift. I think this procedure may correct your lips, but if you only have temporary fillers it should be dissolved by now. You can review my pictures and see I also had turned down lips, but it was due to age and not fillers.
I consulted another doctor who injected dissolver (hyluranidase) and there was no effect. So he said there must be "aberrant" collegen development there. Which might be true because after that I had dissolver put 2more times but the lip never returned to its original shape. I prefer my lips come back to original shape most naturally. If I do another procedure who knows what that would do!
com/question/does-juvederm-stimulate-collagen-growth There is comments about that happening on real self. I still think your lips look good, but understand why you are upset.
Same thing happened to me after fat injections. They caused a saggy mouth area. It's due to the weight of the filler. In general I think it's best to avoid fillers around the mouth, it never looks right! You're right in avoiding a corner lip lift to correct the problem though. I spoke to a lady who had really bad scars from hers, she's had a tonne of revisions but no luck yet! You could have another doctor express the filler, or ask about some very dilute steroids into the ridged area. Not sure what else there is to do apart from wait it out. Maybe Ultherapy could help shrink the area a bit. Hope you get the problem sorted.
It was Restylane.
Thank you Unoq for your suggestion. You are quite right about not having anything in the nasolabial area. Its the weight that will droop lips and also widen the area between base of the nose and lips. I am thinking about electrical stimulation using a product called Rejuvenique. Maybe that will bring my upper lip to its original shape. I used to use Rejuvenique facial mask and that used to keep my face very tout but I am pretty sure you can not use it where you have fillers. So I'll use it only for my lower face where I don't have any fillers.
A permanent collagen growth at a wrong place can't be good. I always thought Restylane was not permanent and if something went wrong could be dissolved. I think the doctor was also very casual about using it liberally for the same fact that if anything went wrong, it could be dissolved. My lower face was the most attractive part of my face that's why it bothers me so much... and also for the fact that the doctor ignored me when I reached out to him. He should have at least seen it. For privacy reasons I can't post/share my full picture but if i did, you'll see how significant change it was.
Did you get a copy of the product number and lot number that was used on you? Each product has its own number and you can contact the manufacturer about this adverse side effect and check if there are any problems with this batch etc. This is just an idea. For patients getting these injectables, I suggest getting this sticker from your doctor, or a copy of it so you have that. This is a common request as these products have reward points, so you would also get an e-mail notifying you of points. I sent you a message Rea with some additional info. I wish you the best.
Thanks for sharing your experience and I'm sorry you went through this. Did this issue resolve?
Unfortunately it's still there - even after using dissolver (Hyaluronidase) 3 times the lip has not come back to its original position-it's very much drooping from the corners (much more prominent on the right side). Could it be permanent change?! I don't know!
Hi I am a fan of Restylane for about a 1 year or 2. May i ask if he made any revisions for free? Did you find a new doctor for fillers? I am in the southbay(silicon valley) and i plan on doing my upper lip in august. Has your lip reshaped or is it still lopsided? I am very curious as i have never undergone the lips just the nasolabial folds. I do not want that side effect. I hope you are seeing someone else and i hope he meets your expectations Bella
I hv never under gone lip enhancement either. It's the nasalabial folds that caused lopsided ness in lips. He never did any revision. In fact told me that "it's non known to cause lopsidedness" whereas the world knows that excess fillers in nasolabial can shortn upper lip corners. My lips are still very much lopsided - looks like aberrant collagen development in the area which is pushing my lip down.
My doctor is good at revision as he works on moh's cancer patients who have diformity on lip,nose,ear and forehead. You may want a second opinion. He definitely knows skin as he is a md ,dermotologist. I am sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out for you
Sure, I'd like to get a second opinion. Please let me know his details. Thanks..
Hi I meant to spell deformity,sorry for the typo. I will message you his info. Stay positive
Staying positive...:-) Have started facial exercise. hope that works.
Prayers and i do hope this works for you. :) I just had restylane before labor day and i always get a little sick. The flu symptoms are a side effect. UGH!
Thanks for posting... I am horrified that this surgeon would make such a mistake as overfilling! I have been following his reviews on this site for a couple of years and finally made an appointment with him for July 3rd to have fillers under eye and cheeks. Now, I am really nervous. I don't know if I will keep appointment or cancel. I wish you the best and hope he will rectify the problem without more cost to you.
I want to say he is really a good doc overall. And has eye for beauty..he did make me look very young and refreshed the first time and so many people are happy with him. My only issue is, why did he ignore it when I raised my concern?
Thanks for giving your overall view of this doctor's ability and his "eye for beauty". His work that I have seen pictures of are impressive. I've consulted with a couple of cosmetic surgeons about overfilling and was told that it can indeed create problems. So thanks again for posting because it helps me to follow the rule of "a little goes a long way" when it comes to fillers.
What did they tell you would be the problem with overfilling? could it be as serious as permanent? I went with Restylane because it's dissolvable. I hope my problem is not a permanent one!
Did you keep your appointment with Dr Mabrie? How did it go?
Yes I kept appointment and I was pleased with the results. I have been researching fillers for several years and believe that each person's results or satisfaction with results is individual. I had lip filler a few years ago (by another doctor) and was pleased with the results, but now I notice that (similar to you) the corners of my lips are turning down, kinda folding over, I don't think that it's the filler's fault but the result of the normal aging process for me. I am so vigilant in the mirror (magnifier) that I notice the little changes that probably would have been overlooked or not noticed in years past. These fillers do not last that long, I am just thankful that we have solutions and fillers that helps us maintain our youthfulness as long as possible...
I'm glad you are pleased with the results. Even I was very happy the first time. Your lip corners might be turning down due to fillers in nasolabial area. The weight there curls the lip corners down. I never had any fillers in my lips.