Still No Tooth Show - San Diego, CA

I had a lip lift a week ago and so far things look...

I had a lip lift a week ago and so far things look great as in regards to healing process. There is no distortion of any kind and at this point swelling seems at its minimum however my main concern has not been addressed. I went into this hoping for some tooth show when my mouth is relaxed since I had none but there is no difference and I don't understand why. I have seen a few pictures of lip lifts just a few days post and everybody has their teeth showing except me. I understand that time needs to go by but will there be any difference?..it doesn't make sense to think that the lip will shrink and magically my teeth will start showing. I started at about 2cm measuring from the nose to the lip and now I am at about 1cm so I know we cut out enough skin but what is the problem? Anybody has suggestions? Once again, my swelling at this point is at its minimum.

Hi Britt, Thank you for your comment. I am...

Hi Britt,

Thank you for your comment. I am going back to the doctor tomorrow for the check up so I will inquire about this. My dentist once told me that my upper jaw is short and that is why my teeth did not show. On top of that, my philrum was long, about 2 cm prior to the surgery. So I am wondering if the problem was fixed half way...now the philrum is short but so is my upper jaw and that is why my teeth do not show. It sucks because I am 27 and this type of thing ages my mouth extremely. I will post some pictures in a little while.
Thank you!

Hi Sd2lv, can you please post before and after photos of your lips at rest and smiling. I am looking into a lip lift as I don't show teeth when I smile or talk. Not sure if this was your problem but in any case would love to see your improvements with surgery :)
hi eveyone, i had bullhorn together internal lip lift 4 weeks ago. unfortunately surgeon removed only 3mm. of skin which is not enough at all. i have still no teeth show. and still swollen from inside the lip. i'm very depressed. he advised me if he doesnt do the internal lift i wont show any teeth with bullhorn only. had to be done together but no sucsess. is there anyone went thoru this operation.? and how long is the recovery? thanks for any answer.
I just had the lip lift done two weeks ago. I am noticing absolutely zero tooth show. I stumbled upon your post and wondered what the outcome was? The scar so far is red and noticable under the baseline of my nose (not inside nostrils). I am very frustrated and wonder if this is all normal. I thought I would see tooth show immediately and I was told I would by another plastic surgeons office.

Help. Please. Thank you...
Hi anon3100, I'm very interested in getting an upper lip lift to improve my upper teeth display. However your and booful's postings sound a bit discouraging....any improvement since the 9th? How is the scar looking now? Also, whereabouts did you get your lip lift done? Thank you so so much in advance for your answer!
How is it looking now? Same here I am two weeks out and I have just a little tooth show my doctor said the swelling is pushing the lip down. I guess we have to wait and see!Good luck;))))
Have you had any improvement yet? I noticed as my swelling subsided I had more tooth show. Best of luck to you!
Hi, just read your email, but for some reason I couldn't email you back...my computer freezes everytime I tried to send, so I'm trying this approach. I agree with what you say about having an internal lip lift. My doctor who did my bullhorn suggested this to me when I told him I wanted more dental show. I am probably going to go back and have this done. I do agree that the le fort is an extreme option, but what I meant in the post above is that I have read articles that talk about paranasal implants, in combination with cheek implants simulating the effect of a le fort. Personally, I would not want to have my jaw broken if there were an easier simpler way to acheive the desired effect. I will wait for an hour and then see if I can send some pix by email. :)
Hi, I just had this procedure about a week ago and I'm having the exact same issue. The lip lift looks great, but still no top tooth show just yet :(

I've heard that paranasal augmentation in conjunction with cheek augmentation can simulate a Le Fort I osteotomy (the jaw surgery in which the upper jaw is advanced to correct the retruded upper jaw we both have.) This (the paranasal aug) in particular might help lift the midface slightly, thus improving dental show.

It seems we have the same issue with the midface, keep checking my profile if you'd like, as I'm going to be tackling this issue and maybe I'll come across something that is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Hi booful,

According to the community it can take sometimes up to 3 weeks before full swelling goes down. Since it's only been a week maybe your lips are still swollen, thus no teeth showing yet. I would give it a few more days. When everything is healed we'd love to see pictures.

Thanks so much for the review and enjoy your week!

-Britt

You were totally right. I have tons of tooth show now. The first few weeks after surgery are so nerve racking!!

Yay, Sd2lv,

That's awesome! I'm so glad it turned out as you had hoped. Yes I imagine the first weeks are nerve wracking I would probably feel the same way. Glad everything worked out, enjoy your week!

-Britt

Would love to see before after photos? And how is it going a few years later?