Fraxel Repair Nightmare - San Diego, CA

I am two weeks out from a fraxel repair and the...

I am two weeks out from a fraxel repair and the recovery has been nothing short of a nightmare. I have scars forming around my eyes and my face is still so red that someone asked my if I was having an allergic reaction. My skin is so sensitive that when I plucked an eyebrow hair it left a bruise. I have laser track marks all over my face and my skin is so dry that I wake up at night to put moisturizer on!!!! My face is also still swollen.

My skin looks 110% WORSE than when I started. I was told a week off work and I would go back to work a little pink. That is not my experience. Do any of the veteran fraxel repair victims have any advice?!

I am now almost seven weeks out. I still...

I am now almost seven weeks out. I still look pink on my face but I am able to cover it up with makeup. You can still see laser lines on my forehead and around my mouth but they are diminishing. My chest is still pretty red and I am uncomfortable in a v neck shirt. As far as the tightening goes yo can tell around my eyes and my cheeks at this point. My hyperpigmentation has begun to fade. And my scars after being injected 5 times have started to be a little more flat. Bottom line is it has gotten better but I still would not recommend the procedure.

This procedure should be taken OFF the market!

hello...ive only had it once and it really changed me.i had better confidence,better communication,better skin,scars are almost gone,but large acne scars are still here.So I`planning to have it again.I`m in philippines and only costs P4000 or $100!!!!!
I`ve had about 8 days downtime(redness and laser traces) but after that its gone. I mean even my brother will have the procedure one of these days since he saw the whole changes from day1 till now.
take note: Ive had like 30 diamond peel treatments before and it only worked like 1% changewhile fractional did about 80% change on my skin.Truely amazing!
For Pete's sake give Fraxel a wide berth. The MD on Castlereagh St in Sydney, who sold it to me said he would guarantee a 70% success rate. During treatment I developed more scars from breakouts(which was stated wouldn't happen). Going back to the MD he had no sympathy and gave flippant and unbelievably stupid answers to my problem and questions. Today marks 6 months since having the treatment and decided to go see the MD. He was rude and insulted that one could dare question the result. He said I should be thankful for the result achieved. He argued that the 70% result was indeed achieved. Not sure how he remembered my skin as he had no pictures to use as a guide because the images were in his other practice. Again, please forget it. Waste of your hard earned money. The only people who benefit are the people selling this treatment, all the way to their bank.
I was about to schedule a Fraxel laser treatment w a La Jolla Doc @ the cost of $6000. He gave me the name of a woman who claims it was the best thing she ever did for herself. That was one person, I've just read many, many nightmares. I called the office and told them I've deceided against it. I'm not looking for a few months of looking great. I was expecting long term results.Thanks to all for your help in making a decision.
I think if 6k is a lot of money for a risk, then you made a good decision. It's been over a year for me, and it's really depressing to think I spent almost 9k on it all (I got talked into the fillers, etc.). I actually think it was the fillers that I was pleased with because once the fillers wore off is when I started to see my face looked worse than before going in. Again, I think everyone has different experiences. I'm actually considering a chemical peel. They're less expensive, and I've heard can be the same if not better results. It's all very depressing to see one's skin change so quickly...I'm not blaming the procedure since it was a risk, but it was a lot of money for a 3 to 4 month of feeling good about my skin. and now, photos from last year don't seem real. difficult to post a new photo on Facebook to replace last years. :) so very very vain.
Did they provide the name of this person who claims its the best thing she ever did? Would love to hear if she still feels that way a few months later?
It's not about the money. If there is a high probably permanent damage will occurr, no amount of money can reverse the nightmare stories I'm reading about. A different doc. has told me about fat injection. New methods of harvesting and injecting the fat makes it more successful...so I'm told. If anyone has information on this procedure, please let me know. Thanks, SanDiegoGal
I am about the same as week 7 except I am less red. The laser lines are very slow to improve. I am able to go out of the house at this point without makeup and look ok. Please let me know if I can help you anymore throughout this process.
Hey, just checking in to see what progress you've made in the past few weeks. I am 60 hours post-procedure right now, and things seem okay. Hoping you are back to normal at the very least! I'm sorry to hear it was such a nightmare for you. Thanks for posting your experience.
Who was your provider? Have you asked them what they think? I must say I'm not surprised at your story I just wish I had read this sight before I had it done!! My skin is getting better but slowly.
Hi Ntmare,

May I ask how your skin is today (now that it's been a year and a half later). Any info you could provide would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks so much!
I had the treatment done a year ago. The first two or three months I really noticed the change and so did friends, however, I had also had botox and some fillers, so have no idea without that how it would have looked. around 6 months later, I felt as if I had more wrinkles and looked older than when I first had the treatments. Was it worth it? Probably not if you're struggling for cash, but to be honest it made for some good photos for a couple of months, and I felt good for a couple of months about myself. :) I actually keep thinking that maybe I just had bad luck, and the treatment didn't work and I sort of want to go back. How does Jennifer Aniston look so good without a facelift and other stars? They have to be doing something besides fillers, so assumed laser treatments. Not sure, but these days really down after spending 6k or more on the CO2 treatment and a year later look worse than the day I went in. As far as the aftermath, the face stayed red longer than I thought it would, and the face was really swollen and scary looking for a week or so, but not complaining about the aftermath since it did look good once healed (for a brief period). Oh, that's what got me is that the doc said that it was supposed to improve with time, but it just got worse with time.
I do not think the provider matters. I am not comfortable in my own skin and I would not encourage anyone to have a fractionated CO2 laser. Sorry to tell you this but I would not want anyone to walk my path. Good luck.
I hope it's gotten better since the 27th. Are you allowed to post the name of the provider or at least the initials? Very curious since I am having Active FX done in about a month by a La Jolla doc.
I also was scheduled w a La Jolla Doc. I just cancelled; too many nightmare stories.
5895anon Did you ever have the Fraxel procedure? If so, how did it go?
I had Total F/X at the end of April. I had rhinoplasty at the same time, so my nose and the area surrounding where it was taped did not get treated. I have seen improvement in my skin's texture and firmness. I would consider doing it again in the future, but next time I would want my whole face done. I recommend my doctor, Dr. Roy David Amir in La Jolla.