Erbium Resurfacing Nightmare - San Diego, CA

I had Erbium Resurfacing on January 3, and it took...

I had Erbium Resurfacing on January 3, and it took a full 8 weeks for me to be able to leave the house with makeup. I have waffling on my forehead and what looks like stretch marks on my cheeks and hypopigmentation around my mouth. The dermatologist who performed the procedure told me he needed to do a more aggressive treatment on my forehead. He believes the waffling is the result of too light of an application and wants to do everything again. I was afraid to go back to him and depressed to have to hide out in the house again, so I did more research and found a world renowned laser specialist who happens to have an office nearby. He said he has never seen anything like this happen from Erbium... C02, yes, but not Erbium. And in direct opposition to the performing doctor, the specialist says that it is scarring due to over aggressiveness. I am beyond upset because I had very few wrinkles for my age and only hyperpigmentation from sun damage. The only reason I opted for Erbium was because this doctor advertised it in his office and told me it would smooth out the scar left from his MOHs surgery, and I was also hoping it would remove all my sun spots. Now I look like I fell into a waffle iron and have begun treatment with the laser specialist who says it will take 3-4 treatments with another type of laser plus chemotherapy-type med injections.

Recommended Treatments

Quote #1- The VBeam Laser will be used to treat the erythema. The Fraxel repair will be used to treat the scarring & textural changes. This laser will make tiny little columns in the skin which will allow the doctor to apply topical Retin-A and 5FU with the use of the Alma Impact to infuse these products deeper into the skin. His recommendation is for 3 treatments to be done this way. However, it is possible that it could take more. Typically, the treatments are done at 1 month intervals.

Quote #2- This would be the next step after completing the series of treatments recommended in quote #1. The Fraxel restore will also be used to treat the scarring & textural changes but is less aggressive than the Fraxel repair. The doctor will also apply topical Retin-A with the use of the Alma Impact during this treatment as well. His recommendation is for 4 treatments to be done this way. However, it is possible that it could take more. Typically, the treatments are done at 1 month intervals.

Quote #3- In conjunction with the above treatments, use of topical skin products at home also plays a big part in the results of your treatment. The doctor would want you to use TNS Essential Serum once in the morning & once at night, Vitamin C & E Complex once in the morning, and we will write you an RX for Retin-A to use once at night. These products will need to be used throughout the series of above recommended treatments. The pricing on the quote is per bottle. Because your treatment process will take several months, you will at some point need to purchase more product.

Cheek after Erbium Laser Resurfacing

My cheeks look like they are full of stretch marks!!

My heart goes out to you. How did the lift go? I'm hoping it improved the condition. Stay strong! Your post changed my mind about getting the CO2 laser. Thank you for that. I'm going to leave well enough alone. I'm from your area so can you please let me know who the PS was that did the work? It would be of help to others, I'm sure. Again, thanks and my best to you.
Hey Georgia, He wants to do 3 repairs? When I went to a PS who specializes with lasers only he said no repair. I thought it would help but he said no, that you don't want to make your skin thinner after having erbium. He preformed a series of different lasers to see if any would help build up my skin. First I had smoothbeam then perfecta then affirm. When that didn't do much he had me do fraxel restore dual, a series of 4, one a month. I had 7 all together. All the lasers didn't perform any miracles. It always looked like it helped when I was swollen but then it would go down & I was the same. I've been using retin a here and there. My skin was so sensitive after all those lasers it would make me red so I would only put it on with moisturizers & do it every other day or miss a few days because of how tight & sore I felt. That's when I gave up for a while to let my skin rest. Doing so much too a toll on me & my skin. Then I decided to do fillers instead for a while just to fill the dents but each time it's different when you get it done & I have so many it just didn't make me happy & thought I might as well learn to live with it but my body started shaking from anxiety from all this. Had to go on meds to relax & I started not sleeping. If I did sleep for a couple hours I would shake as soon as I woke up thinking here we go again, another day of dealing with looking at myself. I bought so many creams, oils & make up. I still looked a mess. Then I decided to needle which does the same thing as fraxel putting holes in your face then putting retin a on or vit c. I have so much fat loss & scars I'd be dead by the time it looks ok. So I started going to other doctors, all wanted to do lasers. I'm done with them. My skin is so dry from all the heat. The only thing I thought I could do is a lift to pull the scars back from looking so deep. I even went to a doctor on realself and he didn't want me back when I showed him & asked for fillers. Since he answers a lot of questions on here I thought he would help & paid 150 for the consult. When he told me he didn't think I was a candidate for filler I got my money back since they said I could put it towards a filler. So I looked around again for another doctor & found the one I'll be having surgery with. I found him on ratemds.com So he said the same thing I was thinking, to get a lift, do a peel & some fat in the dents. I hope this works. After 7 yrs of this shit I'm so tired of skin care & commercials with girls with great air brushed skin telling us different products will work to hide imperfections. Not mine. I can't believe theirs nothing out there like poreprofessional to hide scars by now. So I'll do the lift, fat transfers & peels. I have to use the retin a before the peel. I also used the vit c each nite & it didn't do much for me. I bought a ton of it & now I make my own. I'm so flaky & dry looking using retin a & c all the time. I'd like to hear how your repairs work for you. The doctor said It wasn't good for my problems, I thought it would but he said no so don't do too many or it could thin your skin out. Did you try needling? for the red spots I had ipl done that helped with the redness. I hope we find a solution & that our doctors will help. It's frigin hell on earth. I'm counting the days now. I wish it was tomorrow. My sister is saying not to do it but she has perfect skin & doesn't understand what its like to walk around with scars on your skin. No make up covers them. If it did I wouldn't do anything. I spent a fortune on lasers. After seeing they didn't work I had to resort to a lift to get a bit of an improvement. I hope I don't look pulled too much & it helps the look of the scars. I guess time will tell. Keep me posted on your treatments & progress. It will help a lot of others too. I'll post my results too. I'm so scared but excited to get it over with to see if it does anything for me. Keep in touch !! I want to hear your reports after each treatment. I've been there, I know how much time it takes away from your life just healing & waiting for another procedure.
I am so sorry you've been through so much and still don't see the improvement you were hoping for. I'm going to try a few of the recommended treatments, and if I don't see much of a change, I will stop. With a little makeup my skin does look somewhat better, and I may just have to resign myself to covering my forehead with bangs even though I don't like the look. I definitely agree about all the time between treatments to heal having to stay home and hide. I will be taking your comments to my doctor for his input.
Sats, what type of needle do you use? Where did you get it? When is your surgery scheduled? I will be thinking about you. 7 years is a long time to live like this. I'm not even at two yet and it's been unbearable.
Hey Depressed, I use the 1.0 & the 1.5. Then put on copper peptides or vit c or tetin a. I got my last roller from Banishacnescars.com by a girl who has scars & now sells the rollers w/ vit c in a little purse w/a cup to clean them in. She's on youtube called PerfectBeauty. My surgery is scheduled for May 1st. Just made the arrangements & just applied for a credit card w/0% interest for 18months. Ha. It's going to cost around 13,000.00 for a lift, fat transfers, blue peel, take out fat pads from under eyes, lift one brow, bit of subcision & maybe I can get him to throw a mole remover in. I can't take dishing out thousands at a time & not getting anything in return anymore, at least with a lift i'll get something. Hope it's not more heartache. One year I spent over 8,000.00 in laser treatments & fillers & I'm back to square one. I hate that it's spring, I should have done this in the winter but I didn't know about this doctor. I told him I'm on these boards & tell people how my doctors are. He was cool with it & said he should get on them & check them out. I told him we have damage. He didn't seem scared that I said I would review him so that's a good sign. If he would have said he hated reviews I'd be a little worried because what I hate is when I tell a doctor I talk to others who got this or that damage they say, "don't believe what you read on line!!" even the dam nurses say that. That's when I know this doctor isn't for me. One doctor put juvederm under my eyes & my eyes blew up. I told him that I needed the dissolver because I read about others getting the same reaction & got the dissolver. That juvederm should never be used under the eyes. He didn't think it was the juvederm so I had to wait 2 months with puffy eyes for him to finally try it on me. Guess what? it worked right away. He couldn't believe it because he said he only put a little in there, I told him to learn to read reviews for problems some can get. dah... So if a doctor says don't believe what you read on don't stay with them.. You would think they would want to know the good & the bad from different procedures from other patients. I hope to come back & say things went good & this or that worked for my problems so I can help others. I don't want you all wasting you money & time on hope because I did & it's frigin depressing when it doesn't work. I wish they would give refunds esp since any procedure is usually expensive but do they?? Nope. And when things go wrong do they pay? Nope We do. After 7 yrs of hell wasting thousands & thousands of dollars I still don't go out. I tell everyone I know not to get lasers or if they do go to one who only does lasers & goes slow. I want to see the sun again & work on my garden. I used to be out there every season raking, cleaning, planting, shoveling & working at a golf course. & out with my kids. Now I was just told I needed more vit d. I already take 2 a day & my doctor told me to boost it up to 3 because I haven't been in the sun & I'm on the borderline.. The only time I was out was when my father was in the hospital for 6 months then passed. I regret not going over to see him when he was well., I remember him saying, "are you coming over today?" & I said, "no dad, my face is a mess." This dam damage ran my life & still does. I pray for all of us every nite. My family phys knows how depressed I am. She tried to help me so much but nothing works when the damage is on your face. I know there are people who are burned & disfigured from accidents & I pray for them too. I know I should be happy with a good husband & children but it makes me think of how I was as a mother & wife to them before. I don't want their memories of me being in & sick about my face. I want to be the old me. The me who smiled. I lost so many friends because of this, so many affairs that I missed. Even funerals & weddings. I didn't even dance at my sons wedding because I didn't want people looking at me. I pray for us all to find a solution that works for us & we can live again. I will def let you all know how it goes & I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being so caring. I'm a veteran of laser damage since most seem to have damage after me. I jumped for laser when I heard it was the miracle cure. Now I know it isn't. To me it's a home wrecker. I'll be on pins & needles til May 1st. I'll post as soon as I can see my face again after the surgery & when it's healing to let you know if I think the Blue Obagi peel or fat transfers work because I have it all. I know I shouldn't be so vain but going from a pretty clear face to a multitude of scars & dents in the blink of an eye is devastating. I really feel for anyone who had an accident & damaged their face. It's a life no one deserves. I wish people were more acceptable of people with damaged skin, all I look at are peoples cheeks on tv & in person. I can't even get dressed without thinking this or that style shows my scars more. I've been living in dress pj's. Nothing is ever on TV for damaged laser skin ever! I even wrote to The Doctors, the lady got back & said that when they do a show on it she'll call me. That was years ago. I wrote Dr Phil for help w/ damage from laser or any other procedure, I also asked about make up they use because some people who have bad skin in the clips come on the show & they look better so I asked about make up & how to cope with damage, I never heard back. I even wrote his wife. I'll be reading these boards til the last day before surgery. I'm also know to back out at the last minute if I read too many horror stories. So keep me in your prayers & I will continue praying for us all.
How awful
Yes, it is. I will find some photos of the rest of my face to post.