Don't Do It - San Antonio, TX

I had smart lipo to reduce my bat wings under my...

I had smart lipo to reduce my bat wings under my arms which prevented me to wear sleeveless tops. Three really close friends of mine told me not to because all three of them had it done years ago and they said liposuction of any kind makes you gain more weight and deforms your body due to uneve fat distribution. It's true because they all have weird bodies now. One of them was pear shaped and had an enviable body, but she wanted perfection so she lipoed her saddlebags. Well now she has an apple shape and her face looks like she's got thyroid problems or something. It just looks round and puffy and it's already been 3 years!!!

Anyway back to me. I asked the nurses at sonobello if this would happen to me and they said no. They promised me the world actually. Then I asked the dr and he said since the upper arms was such a small area that I'd be fine. Well, one year later my bat wings are gone, but my arms are a whole inch thicker!!! I look like a wrestler. Also there are slight fat pockets behind my armpits that weren't there before. I looked much better before. I am so sad and insecure now. Funny thing is I weigh the same as before the lipo. 5'4 154 pounds. The nurse did tell me to tone up and drink fluids but honestly I didn't really work out my arms. I never have actually but now I'm gonna have to. That's my only hope since I'll never do Lipo again!!!

I chose the provider because of all the advertising. The rep that interviewed me was not a doctor nor a nurse. She was just a sales lady selling a service. I didn't see a dr till after they had my money then I never saw him again after the surgery. All the follow-up appointments were done by amateur nurses that didn't know the answer to any of my questions. I never went back.

and for your friend, the fat went back in her face i guess! for me that happened a bit as well, but since i am very skinny i like it because it gave me more volume :) it's like free fillers, as an extra present ;)
hai there :) this is actually local, normally your body restored your fat at the wings under your arm, since you have removed the fat cells there, when you eat, the fat has to find another place to restore, I was lucky since I had lipo of my saddlebags, inner thighs, lovehandles, knees and belly ( they couldn't take out much since I was only 52 kilo at 1.69, I cam only for my saddle bags, but my surgeon was an asshole, and told mehe could impossibly do only saddle bags because it would give a bad result, well i was 19 so trusted him. bad choice, but that is another story.) in any case after taken away that fat, now when i gain some weight, it goes to my arms and breast. I always had very very skinny arms, soit doesn't bother me that much. you can choose to do your arms as well, though be aware that it wil come back on your belly/breast/sadlle bags, you can never tell before, where it will show up ;)
I ment logical ;) not local
Parkerchick so sorry to hear about your experience. But I learned something new in this thread about fat redistribution. Yikes! I hAs smart lipo on up and low abs and flanks. I was so tempted to go to Sonobello for what they advertise on tv. Wanna look good? Procedure done in hours and you can go back to work same day. Blah blah blah... They show a before and after pic with amazing results but they don't tell you it could be SIX months before we can look like pic. Enough said about Sonobello. Best to do is train your arms with heavy enough weights until you achieve your desired shape. Keep us posted. Got pics?
I'm so sorry :( about your experience ,, who was your doctor?
I am so sorry to hear about your experience.
Your doctor should have set your expectations up front. My doctor told me off the bat that I will not lose any weight after lipo, because lipo is not a weight loss solution, but a means to contour/ define your body, or in my case get rid of stubborn fat where exercise and diet is not enough. He was right. I went in and came out the same weight. Secondly I had my fat taken out of my abs. He said if you eat carelessly and don’t exercise the fat has to find somewhere to go and he can’t tell me where. . I read on this website of some people removing fat on their thighs and it coming back to their stomach a year later. Yikes! When I went in for my consultation, one of the first questions he asked me was if I exercised. I said yes. He said good. He said you will need to keep on doing that, for the reason of fat being deposited in unexpected places. He also told me I may have to come back for a “touch-up?” once my body settles, because he does not know how my body will take to lipo. I think some of these doctors are telling patients that they will loose weight on lipo. If that’s what you were told, then he lied…
Thanks for the reply. No, my doctor did not inform me that I would be gaining compensatory weight in other areas of my body. He did say it was not a weight loss solution but rather a body contouring option. However, I wasn't hoping to loose weight. I just wanted to reshape my arms to make them less loose from the bottom of the triceps which he said he'd do. Truth is I really didn't speak to my doctor. Most of the talking was done by a sales lady who had no medical knowledge and seemed as if she was selling me a car. She quoted me a price then said "let me talk to my manager to see if I can make you a better deal" then after 20 minutes of leaving me there alone, she came back and said "my manager quoted me 3,200 but only if you commit today and leave a deposit". I was so desperate to wear strapless that I haut said yes. Now my look big a year later. I mean no batwings but like a big cylinder all around. I didn't gain weight and exercised normally like before. I weigh the same just look different.
How long ago since your surgery?
Oh that is just awful. I did mine 8/30 of this year. I went to my doctor because my co worker and gym buddy had used him for her inner thighs and arms. She looks great. I don't really know where my fat will go. I was hoping it'll go to my butt or hips because I have neither. I know it's too soon, but I feel like its going to my hips. I just have to hit the gym at least 3 days a week. Your doctor should have told you about the fat redistributing itself.
Yeah I know. He should have told me but he actually denied that fat redistribution could follow when I mentioned it. All my friends where the ones who warned me about it...especially the ones who' e already had the procedure. My dr said that since the arms were such a small area that it was highly unlikely. Anyway, I'm hitting the gym too and working out my arms a little more with trainers help. I'm sure that since you exercise you're gonna look fantastic! Keep me posted and i wish you the best :-).
Thanks. You too :)

Thank you for your review.  I am sorry to hear this did not turn out the way you had hopes.  Frustrating:(