Very Unhappy - Salt Lake City, UT

I am very unhappy with the results of my eyelid...

I am very unhappy with the results of my eyelid surgery. My eyes have less excess skin which is a good thing but what I am left with are very lumpy, red, uneven scars. I was told the scars would be in the crease of the eye so they would be hidden but the scar on one eye is higher than the crease and very visible. I also have very visible, uneven scars on the outer corners of my eye. One side angles down and the other side angles up and is stitched so it creates a puffy pillow beneath it.

My lower lids are now pulling away from my eye and creating all kinds of problems like dry eyes and problems with contacts and vision. The visible stitch marks and redness on the lower eyes have made my eyes look aged like an older persons eye.

I have so much remorse for doing this surgery. It is something I have wanted for years and instead of feeling better and less insecure about my eyes I am reminded every time I look in the mirror how unhappy I am. I can't leave the house without putting cover up on my eyes and I am uncomfortable when participating in the outdoor and recreational activities that I love because of perspiring and the cover up coming off.

When I brought my concerns to Dr. Keen she was so rude and unprofessional and completely unwilling to discuss it. I was totally blown away at the way I was treated. I would never return to her under any circumstances. I was referred to Dr. Keen and thought I did enough research to feel comfortable in making my decision to use her.

Your eyes are the most important feature and I am very upset with myself for not speaking with people who had undergone the same surgery with Dr. Keen. I would have never done this surgery had I known what the results would be. I am now in the process of looking for a plastic surgeon who might be able to fix my scars.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I was referred to Dr Keen and I chose this rating because I am very unhappy with the results of my procedure as well as her lack of professionalism.

I wish to God I could go back in time and never have had this surgery. I had it done to look more refreshed. Now I can't wear any eye make-up. My eyes hurt me and are red all the time. They outer ends are pulling down and they look like scars. I have webbing at each outer end. Plus, after two miserable years after this surgery, I finally got properly diagnosed with blepharitis - inflammation of the eyelids, which I never had before the surgery. I'm so sad. I wear sunglasses everywhere. My eyes are red, puffy sick looking and ugly. Don't know if there's a doctor out there willing to work on me because blepharitis is chronic, and surgery aggravates it. It also undoes any aesthetic effects because it is, in itself, disfiguring.
I feel for you. I have bumps where dissolvable sutures were. not extremely gross but am disappointed.Shouldn't have happened considering the money I spent.Plan on going back and demanding correction .If not will inform the BBB.
I am also 2 yrs post surgery on upper/lower bleph, with horrible results, medically and cosmetically. My dry eye syndrome has made it impossible to function normally, impossible to wear contact lenses, and then, look in the mirror. My lower lids are droopy and I look like a total freak. DO NOT DO THIS SURGERY LADIES. Not worth the risks.
I agree! Wish I could turn back the clock! I also have dry eye, scarring on corners of both eyes and a retraction of one lower lid. I am looking into having the scars minimized by laser, and the retraction improved with fillers. So sorry I ever did this!! Are you looking into revision? Good luck to you!
CoolCat, So sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with your results. I hope you are able to find a satisfying revision. Be mindful of the recommendation of those who have had the surgery, as far as waiting til things settle. Best wishes.
Thank you. I'm trying to be patient. It's been 7 months. I'm very disappointed.
coolcat, sorry you are unhappy with your results. May I ask, how long has it been since you had the surgery? I also have a scar that "curves up" and a "puffy pillow" underneath it. It is getting better over time. For me, it has been 3 1/2 months. And my red scars are much more settled, but I can still see some redness. Also, have you tried Dermablend? It has a powder that seals the cover-up cosmetic so that water, etc. doesn't wash it away. I use it to cover the area along my incisions lines where there is still some redness while they are still healing. It's very effective. It's not a permanent solution, but might help you with your confidence.
Thank you for the advice. I haven't used dermablend but will check it out. I had my surgery 7 months ago and I am still very red and very lumpy. Very, very sad.
I am so sorry for your problem with your eye surgery. I had mullerectomy surgery in June, and it was done perfectly at the Casey Eye Institute, OHSU, in Portland, OR. Dr. Roger Dailey did it. It was requested by my Ophthalmologist, because one eye lid was interferring with my vision, being down into the pupil. I can now see well, am not tired like I was previously, and can read without my vision getting blurry. Also, the headlights of oncoming cars at night do NOT have those beams coming down to the ground. Loretta
I had botched eyelid surgery and went to an oculoplastic and reconstructive surgeon for revision. It's taken 2 additional surgeries but I can close my eyes now and, although dry, they look reasonably symmetrical. Only these highly trained specialists know the anatomy and consequences like a general plastic surgeon can never know because they just don't have the intense training. There is correction, but if you can close your eyes okay wait a year to evaluate. Things do change and settle. I know these are just words. But you are in large company of caring women.
Thank you for your advice. My surgery was 7 months ago so I will try to wait for a year before doing too much.
I had my eyelid surgery done a year ago and my right eye was done by my PS intern....I did not know anyone other than my PS would be doing my eyes!! I guess all he did (the intern) was the stitches, and they look different than my other eye. I complained any my PS said he would redo my eye at no charge. So i would definitely complain to the office manager!! So sorry you had problems..I will be doing the laser on my eye in January!
I would NEVER go back to this doctor!! Good luck to you!
I had the same experience. I had an ectropion under one eye that is not completely healed and scarring on cormers of both eyes. If I could turn back the clock I would! I don't recommend this surgery to anyone. We all heal differently and the results are different also. Even researching the best doctor doesn't guarantee a good result. My doctor reacted the same as yours did and now I am looking to do a revision. The other doctor I consulted, wants to use laser for the scarring and for the retraction wants to use a filler. I haven't made up my mind. The best to you.
Thank you. Best of luck to you too!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, Coolcat5, but thank you nonetheless for posting your story. It's so important for others who are considering surgery.

Have you had any consultations for revision surgery yet?

Hi Sharon, I haven't had the courage to go out and find a new surgeon yet. It's definitely on my list. Feeling bummed and overwhelmed. Thanks for your reply.