Much Needed Arm Lift - Saint Louis, MO

Between losing 30 pounds, aging and genetics my...

Between losing 30 pounds, aging and genetics my arms have loose hanging skin. I used to have beautiful arms with well defined muscles. Sigh... I'm told I won't need lipo but may seek other opinions to be sure. I don't want to be less then satisfied with my arms as I have been with my mini lift and breast revision. So here are the first of my post pics. Surgery will be some time in Oct as I have two weddings to attend in September. I hope I'm only out of work two weeks.

Another consultation

Today I had a consultation with a different PS. I really liked the fact that pictures head to toe were taken. This PS wants to see op notes and pictures from all my surgeries as well before we have another discussion. He marked my arms and told me to go home and look in the mirror and think some more about dealing with a scar. To get a tighter arm the scar will show slightly in the back. He explained about safety and the possibility of nerve damage. He doesn't think I'm a good can for arm surgery or lipo as I had lipo on my arms with tummy tuck I. 2006. I forgot about that and looking back it made my arms worse. This doctor does smart lipo and pointed out all the areas where I could benefit. Under the chin is one. He also said he doesn't do mini facelifts and move the cheek pad (I had wanted that kind of facelift ) now I love my current ps but I was so impressed today with the time, honesty and detail of explanation regarding outcome. I had previously been told I would have a nice thin scar that would fade to white. Now I know it is common for the scar to be thin post surgery but more often then not it will get wider. Any ladies out there a year post op with a thin scar? Would love to hear what you all think. I'm even more undecided now as this ps said I would have to do some talking to convince him to do this surgery. He doesn't think I need it. What to do ?

Wait!!! don't look at your arms in that position, you have to engage the muscle to determine if there's excess skin/fat!! 1) when you have your arm in the 90degree angle, as in your photo, your muscle is lax, and falls toward the floor. we all have a muscle-sag in that position! i have super strong muscles and my arms look *just like yours* from that angle! 2) you need to engage the muscle, then view your arm to see if there is indeed excess laxity. You can do this by: picking up a weight, 5lbs, 8lbs, and do a curl: this engages that 'sagging' muscle. Take a photo of the same area, the triceps area, while doing a curl, and then look at your arm: My bet is, the muscle engages, and you don't have extra skin that needs tightening at all! Also take a picture of your arm extended down at your side. From the side, and from the back. You shouldn't make a surgery decision by only having the photo you have: that is not a real photo of your arm, that is a photo of the muscle succumbing to gravity, which *all arms do*. Do Not take the photo you have taken, and then think that you have excess skin: You Cannot Tell from this position: that is the lax muscle falling to gravity. Engage the muscle, and then determine if there is skin laxity/fat. My bet is that you need to do curls, to tighten up the muscle, but that you do not have excess skin nor fat...just a saggy muscle. but hey, that's not what a PS is for. Do some curls, you'll be fine, money saved, toned arms gained. !!! I think you're too hard on yourself!!!
Hello gorgeous lady, I am 16 months post-op brachioplasty and breast lift...Luckily my scar did not become wide, and has continued to lighten in color. It really is a difficult decision, and if I were anywhere near "borderline" in needing this surgery, I would have given it a lot of thought! I do not regret my decision, and am truly thrilled with my results. Keep seeking consults, when you find the PERFECT fit, you will know it!
Hi!! If you were willing to fly out to Indiana, Dr. Turkle in Carmel "is" a plastic surgery artist, and she is so wonderful to work with, she not only is great w/ scars but because of the artistic eye, gives you a top of the arm that fits the bottom of the arm (I have seen some done that are super small on top from the surgery, and larger from the elbow down). I have had a TT, BA, and Arm Lift and the scars look wonderful. With the arms, you do have to find someone who is "great" at it, look at lots of before and after pictures, ask PS's for pics of their arm work, this will give you an idea of what you can expect. I think most PS's do caution people about the long scar and for sure it's a trade off. I am way happier with the long scar then I was with all of the skin hanging off of my arms.. I've never felt so happy with my arms! Best wishes with your decision!!
Hey there one of my favs ever!! Very weird I stumbled upon this. I did research on this procedure and did not see anyone that had a thin scar after some time. I decided against it afyer i saw a lady in my yoga classes that probably had it almost a year ago and has a pretty noticeable scar. I knew as soon as I saw it what it was from and decided my arms were fine and I would take a little jiggle over the scar. I do not think you need it. I have seen some arms that I can see why they would go through it and the scar would be better than the arms they were left with after the weight loss but I do not see that with you. Much love to you.
Hi sunny, much love to you too! I'm stepping back from the arms for now. Getting two more consults. I'm also getting myself back in shape as I have gotten lazy and to be honest caught up in wanting to get lipo for areas I know I can get rid of with exercise. My arms are not an area where extra skin can be exercised away but I do want to see how they looked more toned again before I decide. I hope you are doing well.
Wish You could come see My MD, he is awesome, I would see another.... Just saying Dr Clark, girl.... he's Great!
I am glad you are interviewing ps's. What do you think and feel? A lot of doctor's here in California DO NOT like the scar,mine being one of them because i initially wanted an arm lift. This is a surgery where your ps has to be a perfectionist,artist and has a precise hand. I loved lisaLias results but Dr G is in TJ Mex. Not sure how you feel about that.
I love Lisa's results too. I would really like to here from someone one year post. Also, my husband won't agree to out of the country surgery :-( I can see how that scar would stretch out given how much we use our arms. My breast lift scar was a fine line in the early months but has become wider with the heaviness of my breast. It's very light and doesn't bother me. Even a great PS can't be 100% sure of exact placement on the arm lift so I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth the risk. Someone said that when a PS declines doing a surgery it may be because they know they cannot give you a good result. I appreciate that kind of honesty. I will probably get two more consultations before I decide. If the arm lift would only be a slight improvement ( not tight) I will probably pass. From what I'm reading the tighter you are pulled the more dangerous it is and the risk of complications are higher. I may just have to move on. I'm intrigued by Smart Lipo on a few stubborn areas including arm pit by breast. One ps said it had to be cut off and another said lipo would work. It's so confusing.
That was hear from someone... Edit button please
I think this procedure is the most difficult and so is the recovery,it goes hand in hand. I wanted to do cellulaze and after reading reviews,i decided not to. the pain and complications outweigh the benefits. So for me it was easy to say no because the risks were greater and maybe gave 50% reduction in appearance of cellulite. It was not worth it. Just say NO! LOL
They do amazing sculpting now with arm lifts. Makes me want one.
It's finding that sculptor that's hard.
So true.
New...many of the pics Post arm lift )are taken with the arm fully extended and inside of the elbow turned toward the camera OR with the arm bent as you have in your pic but with the arm muscles tightened. Try retaking your shots again doing either of those two things and see if your arms don't look better. You really can't compare what you have until you do an apples to apples comparison. grace
Grace. Good idea. I'm always so embarrassed to ask someone else to take photos as I really don't discuss much (even with my husband) regarding plastic surgery and body issues. I will try and retake pictures. I'm still trying to get my ps before and after pictures along with op notes for both breast and face lift. I feel it will be good to have in my medical records. I signed a release form and also noted I wanted photos emailed but they all seemed shocked that I would risk privacy by having sent via email. I imagine they will send by regular mail any way. I'm trying to get other consults this time before arm lift just to ease my mind. It seems like docs in Florida and west coast do a lot more arm lifts then the Midwest. Makes sense I guess but husband thinks I'm out of my mind looking in other cities. I think he is at the end of his rope with me wanting procedures! Lol
hey newmeaug13 are you really gonna do your arms? if you decide,you can do smart-lipo,u don't need a lift. i think you look fabulous and your face. i love your clear nice skin. i have melasama and hyperpigmentation yuk! your results are grrrrreat! ;O)
Yes Bella. I'm just trying to decide on PS. Love mine but worried as he said I would not need lipo. I don't think smart lipo would do it for me as my skin is to loose. I'm going to wait until cot and really try to get my arms in shape before surgery. I also want to lose 10 pounds first.
your ps knows best. I am really surprised how the skin does retract fast on arms though, I also read on here that women 40-67 have good skin elasticity and laxity. I thought after 30 it was impossible,but doctor's have said the opposite. Which is good to know,because my gf who is 62 is gonna do her arms after seeing mine. I am trying to lose weight too but i love drinking.
I'm going to see a smart lipo dr just to make sure opinions are the same. I just have so much skin. You can tell from the pic tho
I can't tell in the pic,honestly. Glad you're getting more than 1 opinion,it always helps.
I have just gone through your dilema. I have finally decided on a ps who does lipo first and then just dealing with skin does an armlift Apparently you can achieve a much better scar when you do lipo first.. This is what sold me If you are going to have it done, have a complete job
JDAnon, I like that my ps stages the arm lift for best results too. One of his other patients says that's what sold her too and she is very happy. It's just that in my case he said I don't have much fat so it's not needed. I need to trust what he says. When is your surgery scheduled?
2 weeks from today So am feeling a bit nervous
Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Congratulations on the weight loss! I will be needing this type of surgery myself, so it's always interesting and educational to read about people who go before me.

Please do keep us updated with your progress!