Mini Facelift and Fat Transfer

About a year or so ago I noticed that people...

About a year or so ago I noticed that people started asking me what was wrong. I looked disgruntled and tired when actually I felt fine and happy. If I'm not smiling I look so crabby. Last August I had a ruptured implant so I had my 30 year old boobs lifted and replaced my 36G to a 36D. I chose Dr Prada after a couple of consultations I knew he was the Dr for me. I believe my breasts look as good as they can considering my age. When I went back for my follow up I asked Dr Prada what he thought about my face. I've never had more then a facial and my skin care has been hit and miss. I asked about a next day lift and wanted to know if it's like a lifestyle lift. Not exactly... It is a less invasive lift to the neck and lower face. He suggested fat transfer as well and he only does fat transfer to the lips if women request it. (More swelling etc) I looked through the before and afters and there were not that many. At least not compared to breast work but as I was flipping through I saw an out of town friends picture. I knew she had her lift a few years ago but didn't realize we had the same Dr. She is very pleased and this kind of sealed the deal for me. I'm a little nervous that I did not consult other Drs to see what their plan would be but I do feel confidant in Dr Prada's hands. So I'm scheduled for May 28. I will be awake and this really freaks me out but it's less expensive and safer from what I understand. The surgery will take 3- 3 1/2 hrs. I worry about the top half of my face looking old although Dr thinks I don't need my eyes done. I realize this type of facelift realistically will last 5-7 years if that but I figure I will see how I feel about doing anything more later. I've read that fat cells can die (why the hell do they stay alive on your butt) and your lips may not last more then a few months for the trouble. It's hard to find reviews on that subject.
Well I'm on vacation all next week (yes in the sun) and then when I get back I hope I have found some advice on RealSelf to get prepared. I'm having a microdermabrasion two week prior. I have had good luck with arnica and bromalian so will start that a week before surgery. Any advice from you wonderful ladies would be greatly appreciated.

First of before pics

Here is a recent photo. I think maybe I should have my eyes done too. Opinions welcomed.

Getting nervous that a mini lift will not be enough

My emotions are all over the place. One minute I'm excited and can't wait and the next minute I'm concerned that a mini facelift will not be enough. My preop is tues. I have asked the office several times if Dr P tightens the underlying muscle and was assured yes he does but as I'm reading reviews I see that are different degrees of tightening depending on the doctor and procedure. As I don't see myself wanting or able to afford doing this again in five years I'm wondering if I should reconsider a full lift. I realize I need to discuss again with my ps but I'm so close to surgery date to be having these second thoughts.

Another recent photo

Makeup does wonders

The bare truth without makeup and good lighting. Ugh!!!

So it's really hard to post these before pictures.

Can I lose 10 pounds in a week?

My vacation weight needs to go. I'm not one for fade diets but I need to be my ideal weight before surgery next week. My pre op appointment is tomorrow and I would like some advice on final questions to ask if anyone has ideas. I'm very nervous at this point and ready to postpone. I'm also feeling really guilty about spending the $$ on myself.

PreOp today

A couple of pics I took this morning without makeup.

Pre op completed

Well ladies I'm in! No more second guessing. Dr P spent a lot of time with me to today listening to my concerns and answering questions. The bottom line is that I don't need a full facelift (in his opinion) and I trust him and his expertise. He does do muscle tightening and showed me the portion of the face he goes out to compared to a full lift. He is an expert in his field at fat grafting and I'm feeling very confidant. I have my RX filled. The surgery will last about 3 1/2 hours. I will leave with a bandaged head and should expect a lot of swelling. The next day I will go back to have two small pin drains removed from behind my ears. Back for stitches out a couple of days later. I understand I will have a head band (apron) after bandages come off and will wear that 24/7 for a week and then at night for the second week. Next day lift... NOT!! My PS doesn't really like that term as each patients surgery is customized. I will update my experience each day but I imagine it will be hard without being able to put my glasses on. Does anyone have advice on wearing glasses? I can't see without them and doubt I will be able to put contacts in. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for this roller coaster ride. I have the support of my husband and daughters but the rest of my family and oddly my friends will really give me grief. My daughter-in-law is due mid June and I'm praying she does not have her baby early. I can't imagine going to the hospital with a big pumpkin head and Donald Duck lips! Oh yea... The mother-in-law is here!
Last thing. I wish they would have shared my before pictures with me but they could not? I wonder why? They just said something about privacy and that they can't share via email. Hmmm....

More close ups before

More close ups of problem areas. Having breakouts before surgery! Nerves?

Making a list

And checking it twice. Today I will start taking arnica. I have been eating clean all week and drinking lots of coconut water with pineapple juice. I have my tote bag ready with all my meds, kindle, sanitary cleaner, wipes, water, mints etc...
I need to buy a neck pillow and bags of frozen peas. I know I will be sent home with an ice pack but I'd like to be prepared with different options. I don't have a recliner so I will set up camp in the extra bedroom with lots of pillows. Is a recliner pillow really helpful? I will check them out.
I have to say I am more nervous with this surgery then any other. You can't hide your face and there is always a risk of something going wrong. I'm also terrified of the dentist and they often have a hard time numbing me. What in the world was I thinking to agree to a local with oral sedation. Twilight I might be able to handle but awake for three to three and a half hours! I must be insane! Oh and did I mention my fear of needles?

Big girl pants are on

You will be happy to know I'm no longer whining and in a state of panic. I have the best husband in the world! He is so supportive. I'm as ready as I can be so hopefully will sleep tonight and dream of the smooth side. I will post tomorrow evening and let you know how it went.

I'm home!

I'm groggy but I want to update before I forget the details.
I took a Percocet and Valium at 9:45 and arrived at the office at 10:00. I was supposed to get Botox on forehead but they decided to wait until after surgery at one of my follow up appointments.
I was taken back to the treatment room and given another Valium. At 10:30 I was prepped and marked and then told to lay tummy down. After receiving the local injections the fat was harvested from my hips. Around three tablespoons. Then I was the numbed on the right side. The injections were not as painful as I had anticipated. The surgery lasted about an hour and a half on each side of my face. When I felt pain I was given more local and my PS agreed my body absorbs it quickly. I was fully awake but relaxed and could hear the cutting and feel the pressure and pulling. It did not bother me as much as I thought it would but not so sure I would ever do it again. I have a lot of pain in my ears and the swelling in my lips and cheeks is horrible as you can see by the picture. I was offered water after the surgery and the nurse would not let me have a pain pill until I ate something. She offered me a granola bar. Holy crap I have trouble sipping water through a straw so I could not get any of the granola bar down. I'm now home icing and trying to get a pineapple protein shake down. My ears are on fire and I just want to sleep. That's about it. Tomorrow I go back to get the small tubes behind my ears removed if everything looks okay. It feels very squishy around my ears. Well ladies... That's it for now. I can't wait to hear how it went for KAD.

I went to the doctor this morning to have the bandages removed. Everything is healing fine so far. My neck looks great. It's hard to tell with my swollen egg shaped head but as the swelling goes down I anticipate I nice but subtle change.
The bandages were put back on but my hair is still a tangled mess with dried blood in it. I will not be able to shower and shampoo my hair until Sunday. At that time I will use polysporin and put bandages back on. I realized why I got so sick yesterday. In my drug induced haze( that's what I'm using as an excuse) I took all six pills of my first day of steroid pack???? along with another antibiotic and a pain pill! I'm still not able to eat yet so I'm doing protein shakes, ice cream, applesauce and yogurt. Eating is a struggle but I force it because of all the pills I'm taking. I'm still in a lot of pain. My ears feel like someone took a hatchet to them and my jaw really hurts. Brushing my teeth this morning was difficult. I'm trying not to talk too much or move my neck and face so everything sticks! Im icing 20 minutes every hour that I'm awake. I'm amazed at women that have no pain. I had five babies naturally but maybe my threshold for pain has changed. So far I'm staying on the pain meds and it dulls the pain somewhat but geezz this hurts!! Also, wearing eyeglasses is a real pain for me. I stretched them out over my bandage but they are making indentions on my face so I try not to wear them too long at once. I love to read so this is a big issue for me. I hope you all are healing well and for those of you going to surgery soon I wish you well. Tune in tomorrow...

1 day post

Swelling is down a bit. My iPad takes a grainy picture.

Day of recovery

Good morning friends. I slept pretty well last night. My doctor is stingy with Valium so I had to resort to alprazolam which leaves me feeling more groggy. Valium is so much better. I slept sitting up but found myself slumped forward so I need to figure out how to keep my head leaning back. I'm trying to sleep at 45 degree angle but it's hard not to be too low or too high. Silly huh?
I can't wait to shampoo the crusty blood out of my hair. It itches and Sunday seems so far away. This morning I had coffee with a straw and yogurt with a baby spoon. I'm more uncomfortable today rather then in pain. My lips look so ridiculous. The top one is bigger and the nurse said the doctor does it that way so it will right later. Okie dokie then... Not sure why that would be? Fingers crossed for a more comfortable day. I can't tell you all how much it means to the support here on RS. Poor husbands back is still out. He slept on the floor last night and I move around from bed to bed to chair like Goldie Locks! Lol our dog Murphy is so confused.

3 Day Post

Not much to report. I have too much time on my hands obsessing over results that's for sure. I've also developed an overnight addiction to gelato. My husband bought a freezer full instead of the sugar free Popsicles I requested. Oh well.. Worse things right? I seem to have still lost five pounds. I slept well but must be moving around as my head gear is a wreck! I can feel the bandage is really stuck on the left ear and I'm worried about removing it tomorrow. Hopefully, all will be well. My duck lip is better today as a marble will now roll off instead sitting there looking pretty. The lips don't bother me as much as the ski slope between my top lip and nose. So what I didn't know about a facelift is that you tend to really scrutinize your face afterwards. Well at least I seem to be doing that. I even posted a question to Dr about a nose job! Haha... I suppose I did not get a neck lift since there is no cut under my chin. I just hope my fear of the surgery not being aggressive enough does not hold true. I would hate to come out of this with an $8000 inflated head. Ok ... So apparently I'm having a "what have I done" moment. This too shall pass.

4 Day Post

Mug shot of the day. I shampooed my hair first thing this morning and I have to say it worried me a bit. I was hard to get the crusted blood out of my hair without hurting my stitches. I'm letting my hair air dry before I bandage back up. This is my first look at the stitches and I can see they will not show at all so I'm pleased about that. I applied polysporin. My ps said no peroxide. I felt very dizzy, stitches are stinging after shower, mild headache and nauseas. I'm so tired of yogurt and protein shakes. I feel so hungry but nothing sounds good. I have to say it feels great to get the bandages and ace wrap off for a bit. I'm realizing today if I would not have had my lips done I would feel a lot better about going in public sooner. Right now I look like a housewife of Hollywood gone bad!! Haha
I will keep sharing pictures but please be kind. Sending healing thoughts to all my face lift sisters in recovery and getting ready next week. It really helps to hear from you all and know you are there.

Mug shots

A few pics ...please run away

Day 5 post

Trying to stay positive but post surgery blues have kicked in. If you have read "this too shall pass" review I'm very much in the same place mentally. It's unsettling to look freakish, asymmetrical, bumpy, lumpy and the trout lips are the worse thing ever. Yes, I expected this all and tried to prepare myself but it's hard and I'm grumpy. I'm wearing the ace bandage 24/7 as required so no way can I venture outside my yard. I'm sharing these feelings to give an honest review of my experience and the ups and downs that you may or may not experience. To be cont....

Day 6 Post

Feeling much better today thanks to all the good vibes you all sent my way. Lips will probably disappear before I know it. Lol I hope the before lines around my mouth stay gone after swelling subsides. I don't feel any stiffness or tightness in my neck at all. Is that a good thing? Hmmm

Too much time on my hands

So looking at pics and hoping to look 50 again... I can dream right?

Day 7 Post

I just got back from my dr appointment. My front stitches were taken out and steri tape added. The back ones in the hairline will come out next week. I'm healing very well and just need to be patient with the swelling. Thank goodness I only have to wear my head harness at night now!!! I didn't have a pretty hat and scarf like some you ladies so I disguised myself the best I could. See my pic.
Have a great day ladies and gents! One week down feels great!!

Day 10 post

Swelling down some... Put a little makeup on today.

Day 12 Post

I thought I would let you know how my first day back to work went! This morning I when I woke up I had strange rings around my neck. I took a picture. They started to fade later in the day so I think my ace bandage bunched up last night. I do have a soft diaper in between and it really helps for comfort but I must have been sleeping with my chin on my chest last night. I'm going to try just two pillows tonight instead of 45 degree angle. It freaked me out to see rings on my neck! I shopped and cooked today for a client but over did it. I was there four hours as sometimes the kitchen is a mess and I have to clean up before I start cooking. I over did it today and could feel my face, neck , ears and stitches start burning and swelling. Bruises are popping up different places and turning lovely faded colors of green and blue. I'm not good with makeup. I don't even own a concealer. When I have a special occasion my daughter does my makeup. Guess I need to watch a few videos. Anyway, I came home, took the last of three pain pills and have been resting. I get the rest of my stitches out tomorrow and will see my ps for the first time since surgery. My observations at 12 day post.
Still very swollen
Face feels tight and sunburned.
Swelling comes and goes much like it does with a TT.
Intellectually I know final results are weeks/ months away but emotions are high.
I'm keeping the steri tape on the front part of my ears for as long as possible.
If my ps removes the tape tomorrow I will post a picture of my scars. I'm healing well.
I'm realizing the swelling has caused my nose to look weird. I even posted a question to the dr page about needing a nose job ( drug induced state)
FYI... There is no option to remove your picture once posted there :-( ugh
I have gained back the 7 lbs I lost right after surgery.
I'm still struggling to sleep on my back and wake up often with nightmares about pumpkin patches, ducks and trout fishing! Hmmm
I don't know what I would do without you all. Thanks for the loving support. It helps the healing process so much. Hugs to you all!

Chuckle for the day!

I may have a Mona Lisa smile for the rest of my life!

Day 13 Post

All the rest of my stitches were removed today. I'm healing well. Fears about the swelling have been calmed and I feel great! Thought I would share pics of scars. I hope you all did not mind my silliness yesterday!

61 years Old Today

Made my first appearance in public today. My son was born on my birthday so there was no getting around it. My daughter in law said nothing but my son (42) said oh my God what happened to you!! Unfortunately by lunch I was more swollen then this picture shows:-( I said I had filler put in my wrinkles and I'm still swollen. No one said a word and we went on to enjoy out birthday lunch.
I thought I was starting to look like myself again but I guess I still look like a chipmunk:-(oh well

Lip talk

I will post a full 3 week update tomorrow and a picture with make-up. Yes, ladies NewMe is going to try and apply make-up! Haha I feel so much better about my lips that I want to share a before and after. Things are coming along...

3 Weeks Post

Well I promised a face with makeup today but it just never happened. So here I am fresh out of the shower.
So here is how I'm feeling at 3 weeks.
My ears are still very tender and more so with activity.
I'm not working out yet because of the swelling.
I have numbness around my ears and temples but my face is feeling softer and not like a mask. My face was asymmetric before and looks like it still is:-(
Happy with the neck but worry about a little pooch under the chin.
Oh the lips!!! One minute they are great and the next minute I look like a blow fish. Lol
I really need to cut back on salt.
I'm not sleeping well with out a sleep aid. (using just two pillows) now but my ears cannot tolerate sleeping on my side yet.
Energy level is still low.
Starting scar gel yet tomorrow.
Sorry for the short sentences. I have 4 dozen lingerie cookies to make before sleep tonight!!
Take care all my lovely friends. To those of you post happy healing and to those of you preparing know that we are here to support while you wait.
Makeup? Yea well maybe tomorrow! Hehe

Me at age 51

I don't know how well this picture will upload but I was surprised at how much difference 10 years makes and my face kind of looks like me now in the picture. (Minus the lips) haha

New picture

New picture with makeup ( how did I do?) and happy news! New granddaughter was born this morning! Sister to five brothers! Boy is she going to be spoiled!!

4 Weeks post

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post and I'm finally starting to feel less swollen. My lips are so much better now. I'm feeling good with the exception of itching, burning and tingling especially behind my right ear. It is so much more swollen and the scar is really puffy behind my ear and into the hairline. My energy is still low and have not gone back to the gym yet :-(
I so appreciate all my real self sisters and your support! Xoxo

5 week post

I'm a day early but had my follow up appointment todayl. I was more worried about my breast then my face but all okay there too. (See my breast review) There really is not much change from last week. My ears feel better every day and the scars in front of my ears are fading nicely. The scars are thicker in the back on my right ear so I'm massaging . So I'm cleared for everything including hair color! Hallelujah !! I go back in three months and at that time we will discuss resurfacing options. I hope you are all feel better with each day and to those of you getting ready you are in my thoughts for wonderful results. ((Hugs))

6 weeks post

Hello Real Self sisters!
It's actually six and half weeks post and here's I'm feeling and looking.
My cheeks hopefully are still swollen causing heavy marionette lines. I'm starting to see my wrinkles back around the corners of my mouth. It's sad that after paying so much I will need fillers. Underneath my chin is not as tight as I had hoped so my fears about not getting a full and more aggressive face lift are becoming a reality. Ok, I'm don't mean to be a downer. I'm just being honest.
Now for the good news. I'm feeling great and can sleep on my side again although I do worry that it's not great for your face. When I sleep on my back I think it's better for the face but worse for my boobs as they are drifting to the sides. :-( I'm trying to wear a supportive bra at night but think its a little late to help. Oops forgot this is my facelift review. Anyway, scars are healing nicely and numbness is getting better around my ears... Not gone but better. I'm feeling good and have my energy back. Now if I can just get back to the gym and lose the seven pounds I packed on in the last six weeks. I'm such a yo yo.
I hope you are all doing well. Hinting to husband that arm lift is going to happen but have not set a date. I just could not stand the slightest bit of disappointment with that surgery and I'm not batting a thousand right now.
Take care all. ((Hugs))

Still struggling with swelling? I'm just not sure...

7 weeks post and struggling with results. I'm I swollen or is this the way I will look after fat transfer? I really just can't get used to this new look. My face looks fat.

8 week post pics

Hi everyone. I thought I'd post some pics of progress. I will need fillers and I'm not sure if I can wait until my official after photo in Oct. The area around my mouth is really bugging me. Other then that things are going really well. I still have numbness around my ears and scars still burn, itch at times and there is some thickness of scars behind my ear. I hope you are all doing well.

Very unhappy

I less then thrilled with each passing week and feel that I have wasted my money. Pouch under chin looks the same and lines on my mouth make me look like I'm frowning. Fat in cheeks makes me look fat. I'm having a very sad day but must pretend to be happy around everyone.

before and after

Something is not right...

3 months post

Hi Ladies. As most of you know I have been struggling with my results. Today I visited my ps and I now have before and after photos. I'm still forever trying to get the digital photos but did at least get paper copies today. The shadows don't give the full effect but at least you can all see a side by side comparison. I voiced my disappointment and my surgeon was very nice but offered little choice but a full face lift to get a tighter look. He still feels it would look too pulled in his opinion and not worth the risk. Lipo for under my chin is an option but there are no guarantees that the skin will tighten after. My ps says smart lipo is a gimmick without lasting results. So many different opinions eh? My ps did comp for juvederm and Botox today. I will post a picture later of the after for that but right now I'm numb and have rope like swelling around my mouth. I'm told this is normal and will settle. So ladies I'm confused and just plain tired of worrying about what to do now. My ps is not offering a revision and his full face lifts are $15,000 and up so with that said I won't be going in that direction. As of now my arms are on hold too. I'm not sure about going down that road after this disappointment. Anyway, I still really like my ps and feel safe in his hands but I'm upset with myself for not listening to that inner voice that was saying no to a mini lift. I'm cut from temple to around ear and the back of head so thinking scars would have been the same with a full lower lift. If when I ever receive my digital pictures I will post better pics. I'm afraid even tho o would recommend my ps I would say a mini lift was just not worth it for me.

After Juverderm

A little swollen still but I think the filler helped a little. I'm bruised today.

More official before and after

I wanted to show you a front face picture before and after. I got the filler the same day as the after. The bruising came the next day.
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

While I feel the intentions were good the mini lift gave mini results. There was little improvement. Dr Prada and his staff are very nice and I always felt like my safety and well being were very important. I think Dr Prada is a great surgeon and I was happy with my breast revision but for me the mini lift was not worth it.

The fillers really improved your results.
Dear Newmeaug13, If you are wondering who wrote "like" on many of your comments, I am the one who did it. Your posts were very like what I experienced, altho I had a full face lift, lip augmentation, cut under nose to roll up the upper lip, coronal browlift, blepharoplasty, fat transplant to cheeks and to fill a "dent" in my skull from brain surgery, neck lift and chin implant. I thought the pain was extremely difficult, but the Percocet (pain relief -- not anti-anxiety medications) managed the pain so well. I am not sure why your PS used valium except for relaxation & light amnesia. Valium is not for pain relief. That was very odd, unless you maybe are confused about what pills he gave you those early days. Also, a Medrol dose-pak (sounds like the cortisone you said you took right after surgery) actually slows down healing...I'm going to stop going on this tack because I am not a doctor. But I think you should check with an MD what he/she says about using Valium and cortisone immediately post-op. Like you, I have experienced (and still experience) buyer's remorse. I am 11 days post-op and do not look like myself but I do feel it is looking better now and then. I am still extremely hopeful I will look much improved, and so far, I already have lost that "tired" and "slightly annoyed" look I had as the fat followed gravity and my eyes became hooded, and lines from my nose to mouth increased. I was able to go out today (wearing makeup) and not feel too obviously worked on. My husband and I know it could be months before we feel it is "normal". I am truly praying for you, Newmeaug13, that you will not stop your search for completion of your beauty. You have always been so incredibly beautiful...whereas I have never been more than "cute" and therefore my expectations were not perhaps as high as yours. My one opinion is to get a different PS to complete revisions. I know you liked your PS, but his view of what you were looking for either was not the same as yours, or he was not capable of assessing your health, body, etc etc...to create the changes you needed. I am uncomfortable that you had to have the surgery for so many hours without an anesthetist to ensure you were "out". I feel your pain was not adequately managed during nor after the surgery. I think you are incredibly lovely. I do not think your face was improved, but fortunately you were and are already beautiful. I do not think he achieved what I believe you could look like. It's hard to wait a whole year, but in your position, despite the pain (which won't likely be worse: you may find a different PS handles pain very differently and more effectively) but I genuinely think you should try again. Definitely not with the same "nice but unable to get what you are looking for PS". I hope that NOTHING I have said is hurtful, but instead, encouraging. You have a beautiful face and I think it can be close to perfect if you can take the chance again. God bless you. (PS I do LIKE your slightly more rounded face!) God bless you, no matter what your decision is.
Enjoyed your post MVPT and you are right she was exceptionally beautiful prior to surgery and in my opinion still is - but she was within her rights to have the results she discussed with her PS.
I was also prescribed Valium and that Medrol pack. The Medrol pack is to help with swelling and Valium was for right before the surgery and also right after surgery. Valium is given sometimes in liquid form right before people have surgery.
MVPT I'm sorry I have taken so long to respond to your comments. I'm very sorry you had a similar experience with the feeing of buyers remorse. I do appreciate your validating my feelings of dissatisfaction. I don't feel I'm being critical of myself and looking for flaws. I simply feel my $$ were not well spent and fillers would have given the same results. I do plan to see another PS for an opinion on the pouches under my chin. My neck continues to look worse then it did before surgery at 4 months post. It's quite disheartening as my finances really don't allow for a redo. I hope things go well for you the next time around and I really appreciate your kind words.
Hey newme...don't think MVPT is doing anything again. She's thrilled with her surgeries~ all of them. That post was a while ago and apparently things are not as described. Hasn't communicated lately nor posted any recent photos showing her fabulous results but I'm sure she will soon. Her PS is probably hoping so! grace
One other thing is you do not look your age. You can easily pass for mid forties, both before and after this procedure. While I can understand why you are upset as there is not very much change with this facelift, you already look young for your age and are very pretty. I do not know of any 61 year olds that look like you and very few 51 years olds that look as good as you do.
I totally agree plus you have a body to die for :-)
Thank anon. I was given Valium to relax and Percocet for the pain as well. Thank you for your sweet complement. I'm working on myself mentally and physically. At this point I'm just counting my blessings for a healthy life and an abundance of love. Wishing you all the best.
Looking at your last pictures I see why you are upset with the jawline area. I see no improvement. As you know, you were already (and are still) a beautiful woman. Obviously you wanted this type of thing fixed, that would be the reason for going through this. A good surgeon should know this imo, and should also know what would fix it. I don't know what the answer is but I feel for you. To go through all this and not get what you had every right to expect :( Now you will have to decide if it's worth more surgery (you must heal first of course) and even how much trust you now have in your doctor. Tough decisions. Just know that we are our worst critics and unless you point it out I doubt anyone else would notice it. That said, imo your doctor needs to make this right. XO
Hey Girl! I'm so sorry you are having such a bad time. I think that you look BEAUTIFUL!! We are our own worst critic. Hang in there sweetie my thoughts are with you. Your such a strong women and have been through a lot in the last year. Cut yourself some slack.
New, Where did Dr Prada inject the Juvaderm? In the prejowl sulcus?
Newme, as I mentioned before I understand your situation and I am sorry you don't feel good about your outcome. This is totally understandable and frustrating. Based on your before pictures it looked like you had very little loose skin. Maybe that is why your surgeon suggested a mini lift. Yesterday, I went to see my PS, and told him that I am happy with my results, but frustrated that I have gotten comments from friends, that my results look very natural because I still have some wrinkles which does not please me!! I thought a FL would get rid of ALL of my wrinkles. (good thing I was only focused on my ugly neck and sagging jowls before the surgery) My PS said that a facelift will not remove all wrinkles. What removes all your wrinkles completely, is a CO2 laser or Phenol Peel, fillers will restore the fullness in the face and plump out creases, and using Botx/dysport will deaden muscles that create creases or wrinkles. So, to look youthful is a 4 fold process. I found an article on the internet that explains what a facelift addresses ( it just reiterates what I learned yesterday)....."A facelift restores tone by taking up the slack in the facial skin. Laser skin resurfacing smoothes out surface wrinkles and fat injection replenishes lost fat under the skin, restoring fullness. To use an analogy, a facelift is like pulling up the bedspread, laser resurfacing irons it out and fat injection is the comforter. In summary, the 4 R’s of facial rejuvenation are: Redrape (facelift), Relax (Botox® Cosmetic or an endoscopic forehead lift), Resurface (laser skin resurfacing) and “Refill” (fat injection).".......... I hope this helps other people who are thinking about getting a FL. That a FL is not a one stop shop It’s sadly only a ¼ of the (very expensive) process in looking younger.
Cme, I agree that a face lift is not one stop shopping and I didn't expect to be wrinkle free but my neck and jowls should have shown improvement with the lift and they do not. My neck was not bad. The looseness under my chin bothered me and my jowls. I expected an improvement in both areas or I would not have spent 8k. I fully expected to get get fillers at some point to tweak but think of all the money I would have saved if I tried just getting fillers first? I had planned on some kind of resurfacing and eyes down the road but I'm so disillusioned now I don't know what to do. Probably nothing more for awhile. I need to heal and stop beating myself up over a poor choice of procedure.
I agree with you 100%! What my PS said about fat transfer is that it fails quickly, making a false read of the FL. He NEVER does this with a FL. If after the FL you still have hollow areas where there is fat loss, you may do it then or just continue with fillers.
Can I ask if you have an incision under your chin? This is where they do the neck tightening. If he did not tighten your neck muscles then that may have caused the lack of tightening in neck area. I think you are such a pretty woman, and you look younger than your age. I do understand being upset at the lack of results. I cannot seem to figure out what a mini facelift is. Do they just tighten the skin and do not tighten the facial and neck muscles? In a lower facelift otherwise called neck lift they tighten the lower face and neck including the muscles. I believe the muscle tightening is what takes a lot of time and skill. Do not beat yourself up as this is not your fault. I think it is good you posted an honest account so others can learn. Again, you are very pretty and look younger than your age.
I too was wondering what a mini was. I had a FL in May & fat transfer at the same time. All i know is he said it was an smas FL. He cut me about an inch on my temples near my hair line then skipped a part and did inside and around my ears into the back of my head. It fixed my neck area, i didn't have a lot of lose skin but the little bit that i did have is gone.. I also had a fat transfer at the same time & I'm glad because i don't have to pay for more OR time & he said he saw where i was still hollow after the lift & put the fat there so he saved me money. So between the Fl & fat it made my cheeks higher. I had a dent from an erbium laser resurfacing on my cheek , it had melted my fat, so he put fat in, he also put fat in my chin area where i had another dent, my 11 lines & high up on my cheek bones, also on my nose i had a dent from a childhood accident. He made my mouth even. one side seemed to look lower than the other & he put fat above my lips so any lines I had were improved. I didn't even see any holes so i don't know how he did it there. So did i have a full face lift? Nothing was cut under my chin but what ever he did he fixed the start of my turkey neck. You still had a nice job done to you. But if your unhappy and you told him that you were concerned about your neck area the most before surgery than that's what he should have done for you. If he knew what he did wasn't going to fix it for you then he should have suggested something else, not make you pay for the surgery that didn't address the areas you were most concerned about. i would def in a nice way tell him I wasn't happy with the parts your not happy with again. Tell him your friends agree with you. They usually don't like bad reviews or their name going around as a not so good doctor to go to so keep letting him know. I don't think he'll give you free fillers for years, i know none of mine would, maybe the first time or two but it would be cheaper for him to fix it in the long run. But if he doesn't you still look good. I just believe in getting what you pay for. I've had a lot that didn't do what they say so i keep bugging them til they do something or made them give me my money back. i got my money back from the doctor who destroyed my skin by writing him every week for a year & i also got a dissolver 3 times free when juve blew up my eyes, I had read a lot have to pay for it & I got free juve when the dent didn't look good after paying for a filler. What do you have to lose? Keep telling him, if he doesn't fix what you want I know that's hard to take. you feel you spent so much money & still have to deal with what you went in for to get fixed but as long as you told him the specific areas before the surgery then if he's a good doctor he knows he should fix it for you. Talk to him again. The filler def helped you out but who wants to keep getting them after you got surgery to fix it. It's not a walk in the park thing to go through & it's not cheap. Ask him again what he's going to do once the filler wears off.
I did not have an insicion under my chin and I voiced my concern during preop that I thought I needed it. He said I did not need it. I was not as concerned with the neck(with the exception of area right under my chin) as I was the jowls. My face lift was smas lift but there are different levels and in a mini the ps does not go as deep into the the muscle under a local. Differences may be more related to the surgeon’s experience and preference of surgical technique.
Sats, you say you think I had a nice job but I don't see the areas of improvement. My neck looked better for a few weeks but it was probably just swollen.
I had a tiny cut under my chin for lipo. No neck muscles were moved for me in the front, my Dr said I didn't need it, that was for much older women with severe turkey waddles. Got great results without that, although he did reposition muscles on the sides.
Ok what I see in your front view is that your cheeks look higher & fuller Your face has a different shape. It's more slender looking going down to your jowls. There is a difference. I can see where you think your jowls look the same in the side view but when I see you in your front view they look like their gone. You look slender there. I guess it's the way the pictures are taken, I didn't see my little turkey neck when i was sideways but i saw it when i saw myself from the front. like a little gobble starting to show. So yes you do look like a younger you, you don't have a dropping jowl look when people are seeing you from the front. And after you got the filler, you really made a difference, you look even younger. I need more filler too after my lift & fat transfer so your not alone. I wish they could address everything at once & take away all the flaws I see but we'll always see something that should be a little tweaked so that's where the fillers come in. Just because we got a FL theirs still eyes to get done & more fillers, botox. Geez I need a job just to pay for surgeries & fillers I'll need. You paid a lot less than I did so for what you paid you got your moneys worth. Trust me.
I'm sorry for you that your not happy with your results..you know, it does look better with the filler. I can see a little fullness directly under the chin, BUT, your neck looks tighter to me..it is one of those things with ps that's the unspoken when your not too happy with the outcome...I'm happy with my BL/ BA, but my lipo on my ab, flanks..I wish I had never had..need a tuck now with all this loose, gross skin! You are still beautiful! Nothing was taken away from that ;) ...I do understand your disappointment though!
I saw my ps today for my 3 month revie (although it is 4 months as I couldn't get an earlier appointment). He said he warned me that the sag would come back a little and that I would need fillers in my marionette lines as they were so deep. I am still glad I had the facelift, just a little disappointed that the promise it showed whilst swollen did not come to fruition. Reading some of these reviews it would seem that we all get a little disappointed by the final result. What type of filler did you have as I need to contemplate having this done too? I think you look great by the way. I think we are of a similar age and you look way better than me. I will be posting my latest pictures in a day or so.
Linda I had juvederm. It feels a little lumpy and I do have a bit of a monkey mouth( for lack of a better word) but I'm told the lumpy feeling will go away. Not quite sure that the filler is worth $1300 but I guess time will tell. Sorry... I'm a bit bummed out right now:-(
I have a love/hate relationship with filler :/