Saggy Loose Lower Eyelids from Juvederm then Hyaluronidase

I had too much Juvederm injected into the wrong...

I had too much Juvederm injected into the wrong place. It led to chronic bags, poor contour and a very tired, old look.

A few years ago I had Restylane in the same place with no issues. It looked great and lasted a long time.

Hyaluronidase was recommend to dissolve the Juvederm overfill after waiting several months for the filler to go away on its own (note: it hangs around for up to several years in this area). I had 6 rounds of Hyaluronidase over several months. During that time I witnessed my skin degrade right before my eyes. This was worsened by having my lower lids stretched by too much poorly placed Juvederm for nearly 10 months. The Hyaluronidase immediately made my skin crepey, saggy, loose, with a purple pigmentation line in my tear trough. You literally wake up the next day looking like Charlie Sheen!

It appeared to dissolve my native hyaluronic acid - my plastic surgeon at the time acknowledged he could see the skin losing its elasticity and becoming really thin/wrinkled, so it was recommended I get botox, then look at doing a chemical peel, laser or start using Retin A after treatment with Hyaluronidase was complete. I agreed to the botox, but that did nothing to help with skin quality or the folds/wrinkles below the eye.

For the record, I always used Retin A on my eyelids before all this. My skin was in good condition before Hyaluronidase.

Now I am facing laser or a chemical peel to help address the state of my skin. I plan on travelling to have this sort of treatment done by a top revision eyelid surgeon. It's going to cost a fortune.

Always be careful with any fillers. Even if they can be dissolved, there can be bad results. Many of us on this forum have ended up with terrible complications from Hyaluronidase. Not only has it ruined my eyelids cosmetically, but it also dried out my eyes and left them with a constant tired feel.

It's important to realize that poor results with ANY cosmetic intervention can lead to unexpected expenses, depression, trauma and a prolonged recovery. My life has been a nightmare for the last 12 months. I used to have confidence, but I've become a hermit that hates to go out and no longer likes talking to people. I am sad that I look older than my well-preserved 40 year old sister (I just turned 30). I am sick of being told I look tired, worn out and unwell (I'm super healthy). I am scared that this damage is permanent. I was so much more attractive before. I even want to quit my career because I no longer enjoy interacting with people. It has destroyed my life as I knew it. I now have counselling to assist with the depressed feeling and anxiety caused by this situation.

Do your research. Make sure you are getting the most conservative approach with the best filler for that area. Be careful about having hyaluronidase around the eyes. If you can live with your results, then don't risk it. Dissolving it isn't as simple as it sounds!

I forgot to say please ignore the marks on my nose...

I forgot to say please ignore the marks on my nose in the "NOW" pics. It was from pure tea tree oil on a zit that burnt my skin!

Added a whole bunch of photos to show the...

Added a whole bunch of photos to show the progressive dissolving process.

Hopefully forum visitors will see my pics and be more cautious about their choices.

These pictures help demonstrate the much talked about potential side effects of Hyaluronidase.

Thank you for sharing valuable information about your experiences. If you have had laser treatment for tightening the under eye skin area, please could you share the exact laser technology name that was used, and information about whether you were still having any Juvederm left at the time poine when the laser treatment was done? Thank you in advance.
Thankyou so much Reparata, for your information, experience, & letting me know I am not alone in my depression. I also have stopped going out, and socializing. I am almost suicidal at times, as a DR completely ruined my face with Juviderm under my eyes. My face is very thin, & 2 whole years later, 2 HUGE. Pillows have lid down my checks, with are very hollow naturally, & I now, at 57, look like a freak or a ghoul. I now know what is wrong with me, & from what I gather from what I am reading, is far from simple to dissolve. I don't know what I will do, as it seems dissolving May give me worse problems. I was told this would dissolve much faster than it is...At 2 years, nothing has dissolved,, only hardened, dropped, and become traumat and intolerable to look in the mirror. I appreciate all you have said.
I had vitrase administered in the peri oral area of the lips. I now have Creases and loss of tissue around my mouth. It's difficult to even sip from a straw because he injected in the muscles.
In addition, I did sue a plastic surgeon about 20 years and won my case. Lesson is.. the doctors are not immune to malpractice, you just need to find one that it is not afraid to fight for you. I certainly will AGAIN.
Sorry to hear about your bad result with the vitrase. What does your doctor have to say about this? Can it resolve on its own? When you say find one to fight for you, I assume you mean a lawyer. I am glad to finally see something in this thread about someone really suing a plastic/cosmetic surgeon. Successful yet, yay! :)
Raleigh, I'm sorry you had to go through such an awful ordeal! Just wondering how you re doing now? Have things returned back to normal or are you still having treatments?
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry that you had this experience!! I had the same experience as you with juvederm and I am debating whether I should use hyaluronidase or just let it be. If you had to do it all over again, would you still go with hyaluronidase?
The Hyaluronidase left large indentions in my face that had to be filled in with Radiesse, If I did it all over again, I would have the Hyaluronidase in very small amounts. The Hyaluronidase that was administered in a large amount the first time made my deathly ill to where I really felt I could die. I had much smaller injections later to target the areas that were missed. The injections into my swollen eyelids where the worst, and it is hard to get all the Juvederm out of that sensitive area. The worst thing is I only wanted one crease filled that was only visible when I smiled and the doctor told me to trust her and then filled everywhere around both eyes without my consent. Juvederm is much to thick of a filler for the thin tissue under the eyes. It also migrates everywhere through the thin tissue. I ran down my cheeks, and into my eyelids. Everyhere is traveled deep wavy synthetic wrinkles formed that were never present prior to Juvederm. The Juvderm, and then the Hyaluronidase, definitely damaged my skin by stretching it and then the hyaluronidase I feel ate away at some of my own natural tissue because two much was injected the first time. Juvederm takes so long to go away on it's own in the under the eye area, so I don't feel I can really give the correct answer except that if you do use Hyaluronidase tell the doctor to inject very small amounts each time, and then get additional treatments to the missed areas every so often. I hope this helps. Hope you are getting better each day.

Hey guys, it looks like these comments are getting pretty off topic from the review originally posted. Because we want to be respectful of the person who originally posted this review I'm going to ask that we move the comments back to the topic of this particular review.

Remember, you are always welcome to start a Forum for any conversations you would like to have, so you are welcome to move this conversation there if you would like.

If you have any questions please private message me, or you are welcome to contact our Community Support team by clicking on the "Help" link at the bottom right of each page.

Thanks!

What do you think the purple discoloration is? I also have that and assumed it was tyndall from juvederm that I didnt notice at first because I was tan. Now I think it could be from hylurindase. Did your discoloration ever resolve?
I went around with a bluish/purple face for about three months. Then a doctor put a thin layer of Radiesee over the entire area which completely covered up, and eliminated, the discoloration that was from Juvederm. The odd thing was that when I had Hyaluronidase, the purple color was also still there for me as well. The doctor who injected the Juvederm, around my eyes, also hit a major blood vessel, which caused bleeding under my skin, so it could been the tyndall effect, blood under the skin, and the Hyaluronidase. The Radiesse got rid of it and that was nine months ago. Radiesse is supposed to last two years or more, so hopefully the discoloration I had will never come back.
This is horrible. I'm glad you are looking better with the Radiesse. I'm terrified to have anything else done to fix my filler. It seems like everytime I go to have mine fixed i end up with additional problems. First with hylurindase causing swollen rippled skin, and then I had sculptra added to even things out which never healed properly.
The same thing happened to me after getting messed up with Juvederm. I went to another doctor who gave Hyaluronidase which left a large indent and blue ring under my eye and at the top of my cheek. I had to have that area filled with Hyaluronidase. The Juvederm, and Hyaluronidase caused rippling, and wrinkly skin. The laser surgery tightened the skin initially, but now some of the wrinkles have returned. The laser, and hyaluronidase, did get rid of the lumps I had from Juvederm overfill. The last several moths I've just been using expensive lotions and vitamin A cream on my face to try to improve the skin. I haven't had any fillers for nearly nine months now because I too am afraid with the results that I've had.
Are you close to your baseline? I'm terrified of fillers and don't think I will ever try them again even with the best doctor if I can get back to where I started. The rippled skin is awful! I feel like its a tell tale sign of bad plastic surgery/filler. Which laser did you have? Did that also help w discoloration?
I had laser refurfacing under, and around, the eyes to tighten the skin that was wrinkled. It did help tighten the skin quite a bit. I also had a lower eyelid bleph. to smooth out the eyelids that got severely wrinkled from Juvederm migrating there. For two months, my eyes were nearly swollen shut each morning and still swollen somewhat during the day. Juvederm attracts a tremendous amount of water and so that is the last place I wanted Juvederm to be. Juvederm raised muscle tissue in the tear trough area on both sides under my eyes. Those areas had extra lasering to smooth them and that also worked. The lumps Juvederm created from overfill really bugged me because I always had very smooth skin prior. The blue discoloration lasted about three months until a plastic surgeon injected Radiesse over the area which lasts longer than Juvederm and doesn't cause the bluish effect that Juvederm does when it is injected too superficially by doctors who don't know what they are doing. The Radiesse covered up the bluish tinge from Juvederm. I probably won't come back because Radiesse lasts longer. Juvederm caused so many synthetic severe wrinkles that I never had. I am 42 but looked no more than my late 20's prior to Juvederm. I looked 60 + after the Juvederm, and also like something from a horror film. Now, I probably look my actual age after all the correction procedures. The doctor who did all the laser surgeries was Dr. Scheiner in Tampa, Florida. He is very well known nationally. I traveled all the way down from Michigan and did the right thing. I had to spend two weeks, in a hotel, near the hospital, after the surgery. That was a requirement so the doctor could do all the follow up exams. I did vinegar soaks for eight hours a day to help it heal quicker. After two weeks I was already completely healed. He was a great doctor and all of his staff were wonderful. I haven't had fillers since october of 2012, because I too am very afraid after everything that happened to me. It could be just a horrible and unqualified doctor, or Juvederm might just be a bad choice for under the eye area as thousands of people on this sight have found out. It is not recommended for use around the eyes according to Allergan.
Wow you've been through a lot! I just clicked on your profile and saw your doctor question with updated photos and I am amazed by your results! That doctor in Tampa did a great job correcting your juvederm issues and the doctor who originally gave you juvederm should be shut down along with the med spa that messed up my face. I actually live in Florida so I am going to make an appointment with your doctor. If you don't mind answering, how much did it cost to fix everything? Did the doctor in Tampa also inject the radiesse?
That is great that you live so close to Dr. Scheiner! If you are still having troubles you should definitely get a consultation because he and his staff were a dream. I emailed them a bunch of photos through their website of the damage that I had, and Dr. Scheiner told me that he really thought he could help all of my problems. They were so considerate and treated me with such compassion the entire time. While I was gone for the two weeks my 22 year old cat died while under my mother's care. I wanted to leave when she told me he stopped eating and wasn't doing good, but couldn't, because my face was all burned. All of the staff consoled me and hugged me because I was really upset when my mom told me he had died. I was miserable that I couldn't be with him before he died. After one week, my face looked so much better and they gave me really good cover-up cream that matched my skin perfectly after twelve days. I did the vinegar, and water, soaks for eight hours each day while I watched television, and that I followed the after care procedures perfectly I think made me heal quicker. At night a did go for walks along Tampa Bay which was beautiful especially the sunsets. I only used the cover-up powder for a couple of weeks, then all of the redness was completely gone. The laser procedures got rid of the wrinkling caused by Juvederm and Hyaluronidase. I think it tightens the skin under, and around, the eyes. It got rid of a couple of recurring cysts that kept welling up under my eyes because of the Juvederm, and also smoothed the lumpy areas from Juvederm overfill that not even the Hyaluronidase got rid of. I think the Juvederm was deep under the muscle tissue and Hyaluronidase didn't even reach those areas. The Radiesse was injected by a local plastic surgeon near me. The injector has to be really experienced with Injecting Radiesse because there is no chance of dissolving it if it is injected wrong, and mine was injected in the under the eye area to cover up the bluish tinge. From my research it lasts from two to five years, but I was so desperate to get help that I let him inject the Radeisse in the blue discolored areas and it did get rid of the blue instantly, so I was pleased with that. Dr. Scheiner does other injectibles such as Sculptra, Botox, etc. The total cost for all the laser surgeries was $8,000 for three different laser procedures. I also had to pay the anesthesiologists another $1,250. Also, the hotel expenses for me were about $1,000. I stayed at the Sailport Inn which was the best hotel I've ever stayed at in my life. The rooms were almost like a small house for just $79.00 per night. The view from my window was incredible, and they had a large big screen television, two bedrooms, an extra large kitchen with stove, dishwasher, and full size refrigerator.
Reparata, Hey!!! U look great! I am so happy for you that U found a doctor who knew what they were doing. U look amazing my friend and I am SOOOO sorry your companion of 22 yrs passed away while U were in Florida. That made me really sad, more so than any of the troubles we've gone through with Juvaderm problems...I know this is supposed to be a forum about procedures but I wanted to say that our animals, such as yours know that were/are emotionally distraught. They can pick up on that better than any humans can. He probably stayed by your side even more during your ordeal and he wouldn't want you to continue to be sad over his passing now that your ordeals from these crack-pot doctors are over....Just a follow-up... I'm glad U didn't go to doctor Parfitt here in Wis. He was a good doc but he became really condescending and judgmental after I kept telling him my face still isn't free of all that crap. I finally sought out Doc Robertson and I am finally starting to see my cheek bones and upper brows again. I'm not nearly as brave as u though- I will never have another surgery or procedure to my face except for the vitrase treatments I am undergoing now. I am too afraid. U are an inspiration to others on this site. U give others hope that they too will be back to their "real-selves" and U are proof that perseverance is the key. Best wishes, Claudia
was laser expensive how much did it cost
I had three procedure: I had laser resurfacing and a lower eyelid bleph. to both lower eyelids. I had severe wrinkling in my eyelids that were always completely smooth until Juvederm overfill caused Juvederm to flow into them. I also had a couple areas with a deeper laser where Juvederm had raised muscle tissue. I had to pay for three laser procedures which costed $8,500 plus another $1,250 for the anesthesiologist. The lasers treatments helped to tighten the skin and smooth out the areas, around the eyes, where Juvederm caused severe wrinkles and lumps.
Claudia, it is so good to hear from you!!! You were really a strength, and inspiration, to me during my time of despair. I was considering suicide until you talked to me and told me your experience and not to give up. Dr. Parfitt kept ingnoring me and then three months later finally got back to me with an email. I think he wanted to avoid another doctor's screw up at all costs. I found out that the doctor who injected the Juvederm, under my eyes, used filler that was six months past date! She said in her doctor's notes that some was left and I kept trying to get it transferred over to another doctor. I threatened to get the police involved and she finally sent i over to my other doctor and the expiration date on it was six months expired at the time she injected it. I can't believe she even sent it, but I think she had to because it was the lot # she reported to Briliiant Distinctions so I could get my bonus points. The remainding Juvederm had already hardened and looked like sugar crystals. I wonder if that is why I had you many lumps because maybe it had already started to dry out being six months past date. I'm trying to consult a lawyer about filing a lawsuit against her now, and I'm getting ready to report her to the state of Michgan for malpractice. In my doctor's records she didn't even list the Juvederm lot number or expiration date because she knew she was trying to use up her old filler. She is such a crook. I think she filled a bunch of areas I didn't want filled to try and use up her past date filler and keep getting more money out of me. Have you tried to take any legal action against your doctor? If so, have you had any luck? I really want to pursue something against her and I was told you have two years to file a lawsuit for malpractive. I don't want her to get away with what she did to me and also falsifying my patient records to the extreme and illegally injecting past date filler. She is unbelievable, and so arrogant with such an attitude you would not believe. My cat was a huge loss to me and I am devastated that I couldn't be with him when he died. He was doing okay until I left and then he stopped eating under my mom's care. I had her take him to vet and use one of my credit cards. I told the vet to just give him appetitie pills because they had worked a year prior. Instead, they talked my mom into giving him $900.00 in tests, and shots, and he died that same night. I think they completely overwhelmed his system with everything they did. If they would have just given him the appetite pills, he probably would have recovered and been okay until I got home. I guess most doctors are all about being greedy and dishonest nowadays. When I got home, I buried him with his favorite little stuffed teddy bear that she used to carry around each day and make strange noises while he was carrying it. He always left it by the front door for me if I had left so I would find it when I got home. He slept on me every night. I marked his grave with a cross and put a ceramic teddy bear that looked like the stuffed one in front of the base of the cross. My eighteen year old cat was acting depressed and really strange for over a month. He kept going over to the place my mom showed me where he had died and refusing to leave that spot for hours on end. Now, my other cat is doing much better. I've been giving him loads of extra play time and attention each day to try to get him out of his grief. He was with the cat that died since he was a young kitten. Dr. Scheiner, in Tampa Florida, was the one who did the (3) laser surgeries on me. He had a website that I sent him photos through, and he told me he really thought he could help me with three different laser procedures. He is very well known nationally, and I was so desperate for help that I was willing to risk everything to have the surgery knowing that he was very experienced in his field. Dr. Scheiner, In Tamps Florida, was the one who did my surgeries. I had to stay at a hotel for two weeks so I could get all of my required follow up visits to the doctor. He, and his entire staff, treated me like gold which was so opposite of the first doctor who ruined me, and all the other doctors that I traveled to who refused to treat me and treated me like I was poison and sub-human. All the staff were consoling me and giving me hugs because of my cat. Not only did I lose my cat but I didn't know if I had make an even bigger mistake, at first, and would turn out even worse, but no it helped a great deal and I'm glad that a risked it. I feel God lead me to that doctor and was probably the only one who could have helped me. he is a very young doctor, only in his early 40's. He is best known for laser procedures but also for Botox, Sculptra, and fillers. The issue I'm facing now is anger, and frustration, because I really want the doctor to pay something for what she did to me and put me through, and to be so dishonest really makes my blood boil, and I'm normally a very calm and nice person. I haven't gotten any filler since December of last year when Radiesse was injected to cover up some of the bluish areas Juvederm caused and that worked even though it is risky to use around the eye area. I did have 7 units of Botox next to both eyes about a month ago, but as far as filler. I've also been rubbing Tretinoin cream on twice a day it very small amounts and using lots of high end moisturizers. I'm also putting on sunscreen every day. It actually only took me ten days to be almost completely healed after the laser surgeries. I had to do vinegar with with water soaks for eight hours each day to help it heal quicker, and that really helped the skin to heal really fast! At first, I looked like a burn victim for the first three days. After that it looked better and better each day. Goodbye for now, and again, I really want to thank you for reaching out to help when I needed someone to talk to, who could understand, the very most. I will always remember your kindness. May God bless you! - Art
Holy Crap Art! U have gone through way more than I ever imagined....Your mom sounds wonderful and so supportive. My folks are too as are most of my friends thankfully...I can't get over how smooth and CLEAR your face and skin look. U look like you are in your late 20's;early 30's....If you log onto WCCAP (Wisconsin circuit court access) and hit the "agree button to the lower left,the site takes you to a page to enter the name of the party. Type in "Midwest Center for Plastic Surgery LLC". Then where it asks for the county, type in DANE. You will then be directed to the case filing . In the upper right hand corner, under the button that says 'court record of events-hit 'Descending ". It will give you a play by play of the lawsuit I filed on that jerk, Hamacher, so-called "MD"....I have had several hearings thus far. His lawyers have tried more than once to get it dismissed but the Judge refuses to dismiss it. It is set for trial....I have not found an attorney as yet but thankfully I have a paralegal background and can stay above the turning tides of malpractice litigation. I am still seeking to have a lawyer represent me but no wants to take on malpractice these days so I am just doing the best I can. So far, I am able to "hold my own" against his lawyers. I am looking forward to my day in court in front of a jury, I can tell you that my friend. I wasted NO time in filing this lawsuit after my last encounter with this doctor. Everyone should have the opportunity to seek redress if unauthorized procedures have been done which have caused them harm. I am not a fan of those who want ot sue because of complications they have from an authorized procedure as that is the risk you agreed to take upon the surgery. I am speaking in terms of unauthorized procedures only such as my case and yours and most likely, several others who are on this site. That doesn't mean I don't feel bad for those who are having complications, just means they don't have a right to sue unless it was complications from a procedure or surgery they did NOT consent to, were NOT informed of the possible risks and suffered irreparable harm because of those surgeries/procedures.If you ever make your way to Wisconsin art, call me- I would love to buy U that cup of coffee we talked about 9 months ago! Take care! Claudia
Thanks so much for getting back. I really hope you can sue that creep because he is a dishonest criminal just like my doctor. If I can't get a lawyer to take my case I'm going to still take her to small claims court and file complaints with the state of Michigan for malpractice because of all the vidence I have with the past date filler, falsified records, recordings. I want something done to her because she is such a piece of sneaky, lying trash. I'm going to write a very nasty review on her also because I have all the evidence to back everything I say. I would love to have her take me to court which she never will because she knows I have the evidence. I have a recording of my doctor saying that she screwed up and she will cover all of my doctor's bills. She costed me $25,000 in doctor's bills alone, not to mention what she did to me mentally. I know you know how it feels with such desperation, depression, anger, sadness. It is the worst mental state a person can be in. These arrogant doctors only mock and degrade the people they screw up on. I wanted just the one line filled next to my eye and I feel that she was trying to get as much money as possible out of me to use up all of her past date fillers. It makes me furious every time I think about that crook. I'm going to check out the information you gave me about your cases. Le me know if you find a malpractice lawyer who takes your case. Best of luck. - Art
Hey Claudia, don't know the laws in FL but everywhere the patient should win a settlement if the procedure was proven to be done improperly.
Art, you sound so much better than you did before you had the corrections. I too am relieved that your horror is over.