Saggy Loose Lower Eyelids from Juvederm then Hyaluronidase

I had too much Juvederm injected into the wrong...

I had too much Juvederm injected into the wrong place. It led to chronic bags, poor contour and a very tired, old look.

A few years ago I had Restylane in the same place with no issues. It looked great and lasted a long time.

Hyaluronidase was recommend to dissolve the Juvederm overfill after waiting several months for the filler to go away on its own (note: it hangs around for up to several years in this area). I had 6 rounds of Hyaluronidase over several months. During that time I witnessed my skin degrade right before my eyes. This was worsened by having my lower lids stretched by too much poorly placed Juvederm for nearly 10 months. The Hyaluronidase immediately made my skin crepey, saggy, loose, with a purple pigmentation line in my tear trough. You literally wake up the next day looking like Charlie Sheen!

It appeared to dissolve my native hyaluronic acid - my plastic surgeon at the time acknowledged he could see the skin losing its elasticity and becoming really thin/wrinkled, so it was recommended I get botox, then look at doing a chemical peel, laser or start using Retin A after treatment with Hyaluronidase was complete. I agreed to the botox, but that did nothing to help with skin quality or the folds/wrinkles below the eye.

For the record, I always used Retin A on my eyelids before all this. My skin was in good condition before Hyaluronidase.

Now I am facing laser or a chemical peel to help address the state of my skin. I plan on travelling to have this sort of treatment done by a top revision eyelid surgeon. It's going to cost a fortune.

Always be careful with any fillers. Even if they can be dissolved, there can be bad results. Many of us on this forum have ended up with terrible complications from Hyaluronidase. Not only has it ruined my eyelids cosmetically, but it also dried out my eyes and left them with a constant tired feel.

It's important to realize that poor results with ANY cosmetic intervention can lead to unexpected expenses, depression, trauma and a prolonged recovery. My life has been a nightmare for the last 12 months. I used to have confidence, but I've become a hermit that hates to go out and no longer likes talking to people. I am sad that I look older than my well-preserved 40 year old sister (I just turned 30). I am sick of being told I look tired, worn out and unwell (I'm super healthy). I am scared that this damage is permanent. I was so much more attractive before. I even want to quit my career because I no longer enjoy interacting with people. It has destroyed my life as I knew it. I now have counselling to assist with the depressed feeling and anxiety caused by this situation.

Do your research. Make sure you are getting the most conservative approach with the best filler for that area. Be careful about having hyaluronidase around the eyes. If you can live with your results, then don't risk it. Dissolving it isn't as simple as it sounds!

I forgot to say please ignore the marks on my nose...

I forgot to say please ignore the marks on my nose in the "NOW" pics. It was from pure tea tree oil on a zit that burnt my skin!

Added a whole bunch of photos to show the...

Added a whole bunch of photos to show the progressive dissolving process.

Hopefully forum visitors will see my pics and be more cautious about their choices.

These pictures help demonstrate the much talked about potential side effects of Hyaluronidase.

Raleigh: I know this doesn't help diminish the stress and depression or take away the physical issues you still see but I want to let you know, you are beautiful and your skin will tone and texture will return for the better. mine is not what it was PRIOR to filler and treatments but it is 99% better than how it I had dark black blue streaks running from my tear-trough to my lower orbital bone after the first few injections of Hya and then I had Vitrase put in which took all that away, including the residual indentations and lumps from left over filler. It took three years for me to get my face back to where I could look in the mirror and NOT cuss that originals doctors name out and then some.... That doc had put the filler so close to the surface of my skin under my eye area that the surface looked like the texture of raw chicken skin in addition to the obvious unnatural fullness that was so even and lumpy... In flouresent lighting, I looked ghastly- Stark-white around the eyes and the lumps of filler were even more pronounced in that lighting. Try Vitrase... it is of different compounds and very effective. I had two rounds of Hya with out much success and a lot of problems associated with it. I then had four rounds of Vitrase put in at a depth of Single-cell- about the depth a TB test would be done and it is finally gone- smooth, no tyndall and no swelling in the mornings anymore. No bags and my skin is no longer thinned like crepe paper.
cut the extra skin out
It doesn't really work like that around the eye as you also have to take into consideration fat and fluid. It would look very odd and unnatural just to trim some skin.
I have the same loose skin, and fold when I talk or smile from dissolving with hyaluronidase. I consider it permanent. Did yours ever come good?
As far as I know, Raleigh, the person who started this thread hasn't commented for a long time. Loose skin of the eyelids as far as I know, needs to be removed surgically, unless filler is an option. If the doctor who left you with loose skin did not mention that this could result, I would find another (better) doctor for the solution. Fortunately, my dissolver brought me back to what I would be if I never had the filler, with the exception of some slight yellowing, possibly due to my Gilbert's Disease, which had already yellowed a small area on an upper eyelid. Defiinitely use an oculoplastic, because it's the most specific subspecialty for your problems on your area of the body. Unless you know of a very good cosmetic dermatologist with lots of great results treating bad results with eye area fillers, go to an oculoplastic surgeon who is highly recommended, has done many successful corrections to bad hyaluronidase, etc.
dermatologists are plastic surgeons are not telling you the truth if they say hyalase has no effect on collagen. guess what holds collagen together? HA. guess what dissolves HA? hyalase. in most cases hopefully your body will eventually regenerate and replace lost HA and collagen dissolved by the hyalase. but definitely think twice before having hyalase... it's not a simple quick fix to too much or badly placed filler!
Agree to not taking hyaluronidase lightly for cosmetic purposes. There isn't enough consensus of opinion for that. I did wait 5 years before using it for my filler -- I simply was tired of waiting and living with it. I knew also that I couldn't have any other treatment for my eyebags until the filler was gone. Looking back, perhaps I should have had the hyaluronidase sooner, but I wanted to wait longer than anyone else had (that I knew of) since I was able to.
I would like to add that although doctors seem to deny it - OF COURSE HYALASE HAS A NEGATIVE EFFECT ON COLLAGEN. IT DISSOLVES HA, WHICH IS A NATURAL MEANS OF BINDING COLLAGEN IN THE SKIN. THIS HAPPENS TO BE A FACT. YES, A MEDICAL FACT THAT DOCS DON'T KNOW ABOUT. HYALASE IS NOT GOOD FOR COLLAGEN. DOCTORS SHOULD WAKE UP AND GIVE SERIOUS WARNINGS BEFORE INJECTING HYALASE
The only safe way to remove the fillers from lower eyelids is by surgery . The same way as removing fats from the lower eye lids. They would need to cut it open from the front side of the eye lid and surgically remove all the fillers and cut out excess skins on the eyelids and pull it up. This kinds of surgery has been done many times in Korea and its almost unheard of in the USA.
If the filler was covering up any eye bags or festoons, might as well correct those also during the surgery, rather than remove the filler, excess skin and leave the bags. Only if the bags are caused by loose skin would there be no excess fat to remove.
Today marks 3 years of having restylane injected into the corner of my upper eyelid. The lump of filler is still there and I was told it could stay there for another 2 years before dissolving. There isn't anything in the lid area to absorb the product so it just doesn't go away. The only intervention I would consider is surgery. I would like to have it lanced and drained but doctors want use dissolver.
I have also had bad results I trying to dissolve filler. I had a horrible infection and even traveled down my cheeks. I had multiple shots of wydase and nothing so I had a major dose of it and although it has helped, I have a kidney bean bag I dear my left eye and saggy skin on both. It took 7 weeks with 2 IM injections of antibiotic and oral ones to get rid of it. I will have to have a lower eye lift but will have to put something to fill them since I am so hollow and sunken looking. It is a nightmare and everyday that I have to look in the mirror which I don't unless I am washing my face makes me so depressed and just cry at what has happened. I told my doctor the same day something was very wrong but he kept brushing me off and then told me he didn't know what to do and to find a doctor who dealt with complications. I do think these companies are getting away with telling people that if there is a problem, just dissolve it and your fixed. It is irresponsible and all doctors should have specific training when using any filler in the tear trough area since it is the most difficult.
on may 12 I had a board certified plastic surgeon inject to vials of a Jupiter and product called voluma TC under my eyes for darkness. Right away he hit a vessel and I get to horrible black eyes. Its about 2 months later and I have horrific lurch lines. If you look at my profile you will see my pictures. I am dealing with this Tyndall effect as well as these horrible lurch lines. I am due to go to the University of Michigan plastic surgery department in August. This is been a horrific ordeal. I went in to look better and now reading all these comments I feel that I'm to prepare myself for months if not years of depression and not being back to myself. Anyone in Michigan who is having problems any concealer to cover this problem, or good plastic surgeons to help please let me know. I have become a recluse I do not come out that much, I just go to work and back. I use dermablend tattoo cover for my Tyndall effect for my lines and still they show through! My plastic surgeon offered no help he said that it didn't look darker!!! But in that same sentence he did say though I did perfect injections. I am trying like hell to get my money back. Because I know I'm going to have to spend double or more to try and get myself back to where I was before this crap was injected in me. What a stupid mistake I have made.
To darkeyecircles: Sorry your going through this and hope you get this resolved remember you still are who you are and a few lines or whatever is wrong with your eyes that you see shouldnt prevent you from living your life go out and push yourself to enjoy yourself you are a beautiful woman you are focusing on it to much like all of us do nobody else sees what you see :)
I'm in Michigan. I use NARS concealer. Nothing conceals what was done to me, but it takes the edge off in most lighting. I go to U of M for my ultrasounds to track this stupid Perlane's disappearance. It's been 9.5 months and I'm still in shock. And therapy. Sometimes I don't know how I haven't gone crazy yet. I can't believe I let someone do this to me. My whole life is destroyed. U of M dermatologist told me surgical removal would leave scars.
Wantmyfaceback, who was your plastic surgeon? I live in MI too and a PS over filled my mouth area with Restylane. My confidence is shot and I hide in my house all the time. Not wanting to see anyone. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would never have done that to myself. I tried to get in to see a derm at u of m but they told me they weren't accepting new patients. I don't know where to go!
I paid about double -- $500 twice for the filler and $350 twice for the Vitrase. If you don't find a doctor, I think my doctor in PA is very good. Many people in beauty business and other doctors in my area refer to him. It's Allan Wulc, MD
I can't remember if I left the name of my doc. I suggest contacting him because he's an oculoplastic surgeon. He does only the face and hands. Being an eye doctor, he's great with the eye area. There is another oculo in California who may do more injections than my doctor (due to being in the cosmetic procedure capital of the USA) but my doc told me he does 3-6 injections per day and recently was on the local news about this very topic -- fillers under the eyes that are treated by the enzyme! It's Dr. Allan Wulc from Philadelphia area. He was recommended by my family eye doc who did my mom's cataract surgery which she's very happy with. My mom, who is 82, plans to have some cheek or lower eyelid work done by Dr. Wulc around the same time I would have my lower eyelid surgery. My mom had a good bit of facial work done by a different doc in the early 1980's and a second lower bleph by another doc and that was not so good an experience. (None of her PS was done by an oculo -- both were gnereral plastic surgeone.) So she has learned a lot from having both the good and the bad. Good luck to you!
I am willing to travel in the United States for a good surgeon. Definately going to check out this doctor!!!! :) thanks
CLEO22: thank you. I have been going out some. But I have to always have my makeup cover up over it. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes for me to complete the cover up. I am living my life. I just was having a very depressing day.
Want MyFaceBack: I understand what your going through. I am looking at NARS c oncealers right now. I took a picture today half with my makeup to cover up in and then half without. It was shocking and horrifying. Yesterday a surgeon told me he did not see what I saw and there was nothing wrong. I believe he knew my surgeon and they were buddies. I will also be at UofM. I am praying they can help me. Let me know how your doing. We may have to form a Michigan support group at this rate.....take care
Have you tried the UofM Plastic Surgeons? I got in for appt with Doctor Gilman there. Praying we all find some peace.....
I am writing notes, and going to research all the information. Thanks
Yes to that! So so sorry you all are going through this. THANK YOU for telling your stories because you most likely saved me from misery. I had a lower lid ectopian surgery that I would love to go back and undo. It's not absolutely horrible but nevertheless I definitely would not do that again. And of course I looked better before that surgery. On June 6 I had cool sculpting on my Midriff. I was disappointed not to see the doctor even in the office. The assistant used a large pad. I still don't see any difference except maybe slightly- but definitely not worth the money! I just bought myself a treadmill and that's the way I'm going from now on. No more PS for me.