Saggy Loose Lower Eyelids from Juvederm then Hyaluronidase

I had too much Juvederm injected into the wrong...

I had too much Juvederm injected into the wrong place. It led to chronic bags, poor contour and a very tired, old look.

A few years ago I had Restylane in the same place with no issues. It looked great and lasted a long time.

Hyaluronidase was recommend to dissolve the Juvederm overfill after waiting several months for the filler to go away on its own (note: it hangs around for up to several years in this area). I had 6 rounds of Hyaluronidase over several months. During that time I witnessed my skin degrade right before my eyes. This was worsened by having my lower lids stretched by too much poorly placed Juvederm for nearly 10 months. The Hyaluronidase immediately made my skin crepey, saggy, loose, with a purple pigmentation line in my tear trough. You literally wake up the next day looking like Charlie Sheen!

It appeared to dissolve my native hyaluronic acid - my plastic surgeon at the time acknowledged he could see the skin losing its elasticity and becoming really thin/wrinkled, so it was recommended I get botox, then look at doing a chemical peel, laser or start using Retin A after treatment with Hyaluronidase was complete. I agreed to the botox, but that did nothing to help with skin quality or the folds/wrinkles below the eye.

For the record, I always used Retin A on my eyelids before all this. My skin was in good condition before Hyaluronidase.

Now I am facing laser or a chemical peel to help address the state of my skin. I plan on travelling to have this sort of treatment done by a top revision eyelid surgeon. It's going to cost a fortune.

Always be careful with any fillers. Even if they can be dissolved, there can be bad results. Many of us on this forum have ended up with terrible complications from Hyaluronidase. Not only has it ruined my eyelids cosmetically, but it also dried out my eyes and left them with a constant tired feel.

It's important to realize that poor results with ANY cosmetic intervention can lead to unexpected expenses, depression, trauma and a prolonged recovery. My life has been a nightmare for the last 12 months. I used to have confidence, but I've become a hermit that hates to go out and no longer likes talking to people. I am sad that I look older than my well-preserved 40 year old sister (I just turned 30). I am sick of being told I look tired, worn out and unwell (I'm super healthy). I am scared that this damage is permanent. I was so much more attractive before. I even want to quit my career because I no longer enjoy interacting with people. It has destroyed my life as I knew it. I now have counselling to assist with the depressed feeling and anxiety caused by this situation.

Do your research. Make sure you are getting the most conservative approach with the best filler for that area. Be careful about having hyaluronidase around the eyes. If you can live with your results, then don't risk it. Dissolving it isn't as simple as it sounds!

I forgot to say please ignore the marks on my nose...

I forgot to say please ignore the marks on my nose in the "NOW" pics. It was from pure tea tree oil on a zit that burnt my skin!

Added a whole bunch of photos to show the...

Added a whole bunch of photos to show the progressive dissolving process.

Hopefully forum visitors will see my pics and be more cautious about their choices.

These pictures help demonstrate the much talked about potential side effects of Hyaluronidase.

The only safe way to remove the fillers from lower eyelids is by surgery . The same way as removing fats from the lower eye lids. They would need to cut it open from the front side of the eye lid and surgically remove all the fillers and cut out excess skins on the eyelids and pull it up. This kinds of surgery has been done many times in Korea and its almost unheard of in the USA.
If the filler was covering up any eye bags or festoons, might as well correct those also during the surgery, rather than remove the filler, excess skin and leave the bags. Only if the bags are caused by loose skin would there be no excess fat to remove.
I have also had bad results I trying to dissolve filler. I had a horrible infection and even traveled down my cheeks. I had multiple shots of wydase and nothing so I had a major dose of it and although it has helped, I have a kidney bean bag I dear my left eye and saggy skin on both. It took 7 weeks with 2 IM injections of antibiotic and oral ones to get rid of it. I will have to have a lower eye lift but will have to put something to fill them since I am so hollow and sunken looking. It is a nightmare and everyday that I have to look in the mirror which I don't unless I am washing my face makes me so depressed and just cry at what has happened. I told my doctor the same day something was very wrong but he kept brushing me off and then told me he didn't know what to do and to find a doctor who dealt with complications. I do think these companies are getting away with telling people that if there is a problem, just dissolve it and your fixed. It is irresponsible and all doctors should have specific training when using any filler in the tear trough area since it is the most difficult.
on may 12 I had a board certified plastic surgeon inject to vials of a Jupiter and product called voluma TC under my eyes for darkness. Right away he hit a vessel and I get to horrible black eyes. Its about 2 months later and I have horrific lurch lines. If you look at my profile you will see my pictures. I am dealing with this Tyndall effect as well as these horrible lurch lines. I am due to go to the University of Michigan plastic surgery department in August. This is been a horrific ordeal. I went in to look better and now reading all these comments I feel that I'm to prepare myself for months if not years of depression and not being back to myself. Anyone in Michigan who is having problems any concealer to cover this problem, or good plastic surgeons to help please let me know. I have become a recluse I do not come out that much, I just go to work and back. I use dermablend tattoo cover for my Tyndall effect for my lines and still they show through! My plastic surgeon offered no help he said that it didn't look darker!!! But in that same sentence he did say though I did perfect injections. I am trying like hell to get my money back. Because I know I'm going to have to spend double or more to try and get myself back to where I was before this crap was injected in me. What a stupid mistake I have made.
To darkeyecircles: Sorry your going through this and hope you get this resolved remember you still are who you are and a few lines or whatever is wrong with your eyes that you see shouldnt prevent you from living your life go out and push yourself to enjoy yourself you are a beautiful woman you are focusing on it to much like all of us do nobody else sees what you see :)
I'm in Michigan. I use NARS concealer. Nothing conceals what was done to me, but it takes the edge off in most lighting. I go to U of M for my ultrasounds to track this stupid Perlane's disappearance. It's been 9.5 months and I'm still in shock. And therapy. Sometimes I don't know how I haven't gone crazy yet. I can't believe I let someone do this to me. My whole life is destroyed. U of M dermatologist told me surgical removal would leave scars.
Wantmyfaceback, who was your plastic surgeon? I live in MI too and a PS over filled my mouth area with Restylane. My confidence is shot and I hide in my house all the time. Not wanting to see anyone. I wish I knew then what I know now. I would never have done that to myself. I tried to get in to see a derm at u of m but they told me they weren't accepting new patients. I don't know where to go!
I paid about double -- $500 twice for the filler and $350 twice for the Vitrase. If you don't find a doctor, I think my doctor in PA is very good. Many people in beauty business and other doctors in my area refer to him. It's Allan Wulc, MD
I can't remember if I left the name of my doc. I suggest contacting him because he's an oculoplastic surgeon. He does only the face and hands. Being an eye doctor, he's great with the eye area. There is another oculo in California who may do more injections than my doctor (due to being in the cosmetic procedure capital of the USA) but my doc told me he does 3-6 injections per day and recently was on the local news about this very topic -- fillers under the eyes that are treated by the enzyme! It's Dr. Allan Wulc from Philadelphia area. He was recommended by my family eye doc who did my mom's cataract surgery which she's very happy with. My mom, who is 82, plans to have some cheek or lower eyelid work done by Dr. Wulc around the same time I would have my lower eyelid surgery. My mom had a good bit of facial work done by a different doc in the early 1980's and a second lower bleph by another doc and that was not so good an experience. (None of her PS was done by an oculo -- both were gnereral plastic surgeone.) So she has learned a lot from having both the good and the bad. Good luck to you!
I am willing to travel in the United States for a good surgeon. Definately going to check out this doctor!!!! :) thanks
CLEO22: thank you. I have been going out some. But I have to always have my makeup cover up over it. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes for me to complete the cover up. I am living my life. I just was having a very depressing day.
Want MyFaceBack: I understand what your going through. I am looking at NARS c oncealers right now. I took a picture today half with my makeup to cover up in and then half without. It was shocking and horrifying. Yesterday a surgeon told me he did not see what I saw and there was nothing wrong. I believe he knew my surgeon and they were buddies. I will also be at UofM. I am praying they can help me. Let me know how your doing. We may have to form a Michigan support group at this rate.....take care
Have you tried the UofM Plastic Surgeons? I got in for appt with Doctor Gilman there. Praying we all find some peace.....
I am writing notes, and going to research all the information. Thanks
Yes to that! So so sorry you all are going through this. THANK YOU for telling your stories because you most likely saved me from misery. I had a lower lid ectopian surgery that I would love to go back and undo. It's not absolutely horrible but nevertheless I definitely would not do that again. And of course I looked better before that surgery. On June 6 I had cool sculpting on my Midriff. I was disappointed not to see the doctor even in the office. The assistant used a large pad. I still don't see any difference except maybe slightly- but definitely not worth the money! I just bought myself a treadmill and that's the way I'm going from now on. No more PS for me.
I am having similar problems to the original post. Mine was not an overfill but apparently Boletero can draw water. It's a benefit to most but for some, especially if you have thin skin, it creates puffy bags under your eyes. When it didn't go down on its own, I had a small amount of hyaluronidase injected. The puffiness went down a bit but the skin looked terrible, doughy and crepey. After a week or so I had puff directly under my eye and then a valley like a coma along my orbital ridge (think that's what it's called) so my PS injected a bit more hyaluronidase. Again my skin looks terrible, doughy, crepey, like deflated bags or an old lady's skin. My eyes were not like this just 5 weeks ago. I have had Restylane under my eyes before with no negative effect so this whole thing came as a total surprise to me. Does anyone know whether this will ever resolve? I think what is the oddest thing to me is that almost every doctor on the Internet says that hyaluronidase has no long term negative effects...but admits they use it sparingly. What the heck? I'm so confused and have no idea what to do. My PS wants to follow this course and then add restylane when all the boletero is gone. I'm scared but the current situation is not okay. I'm totally self-conscious and feel like I've aged 10 years in a month.
I'm so sorry for all that you have been thru! However, I would not let him inject another drop of hyaluronaise into your tear troughs. I would just wait until the Boletero wears off on it's own or the skin under your eyes will get worse and more saggy. A friend of mine had hyularonaise injected into her overfilled lips and they're complete deflated, saggy and loose. She has to have filler injected every three months to make them look somewhat normal. She's only 25! The PS told her she'd have to keep doing this for the rest of her life to give it back it's normal volume! I would stay away from this stuff!! It's poison!
Don't add anything. ALL fillers draw water, and my hunch is you will make your skin worse every time. I have festoons now, from a number of things, but mostly from the swelling Juviderm caused when it broke down. It will improve depending on your age and collegen production. Take supplemental collegen and drink a ton of water. What doesn't improve with time, laser therapy can fix. I have been suffering exactly what you are, ( see my eye pics,) worse than anyone I've seen. The worst thing you can do, if you have thin skin, is stretch it more, with more fillers. And, if you're like me and prone to water breakdown, you go through this again and again, leaving your eyes worse each time.
Also; the Vistrase dissolver sped up the breakdown, yes. But the DR's are nervous concerning the dissolver for good reason. Too much, may create "overkill," which actually can deplete someone's own, natural collegen, esp around the eyes. Should they have been half as concerned when fillers hit the market, and waited longer & tested more subjects, some of us would've been spared all this. But they are finally waking up the dreadful "cons" long term now, from fillers for some of us. So with GOOD reason, they are being sparing and careful with the hyd. Dissolver. Because truthfully, we are guinea pigs for all this stuff.
I've been hearing about how Juvederm swells as it breaks down...how weird is that? It could be what helps explains what is happening in my case. I've run through the mill starting with biofilm infection, to a delayed reaction to Juvederm, to it being injecting too shallowly so that it moves and migrates, etc. Honestly, all of it felt true. I still don't know for sure...maybe a combination of a couple of these. I did a last round of Hylenex 2 weeks ago - it did help reduce the swelling overall, and yet, it had it's own swelling associated mostly under my eye - it was very puffy. (This is only in my left tear trough.) I may get a biopsy, however. I do want to know if it was indeed Juvederm Ultra Plus that was put in my face (another issue is that it was ultra plus - not a smart choice for that area of the face.) There is a tiny suspicion/chance it could have been an off-market filler from China - which is scary. And if so, I'll take further action, legally. It's still swollen in the original injection site - 2-3 times the size as I am normally. It was fine for 3 months after the injection before the reaction happened, so again, confusing! When I smile, it's too swollen to make my usual smile. And it feels like it's collected into one spot - not dispersed as it should have been (which does sound like an injection issue.) However, it's really hard to tell there's swelling when I'm not smiling. For now, other than the biopsy, I'm going to see how it breaks down over the next 2 months...see if it changes. However, if it's encapsulated, or calcified I'm not sure it will break down properly. There are still so many questions. I feel like an experiment. I think some of these questions will maybe never be answered and I may not look the same again, however I have learned a lot about myself and the choices I make. The irony of how I went in to solve asymmetry in my nose led to asymmetry in my face is not lost on me. No more fillers ever. I wish you all comfort and healing - Biggyc
Biggy....I'm curious as to why you suspect the filler may have been from China.
Wish I had...I agree with the suggestions already given for you on here. Laser, good skin care, lots of water, etc...and so many are having lower blephs (and possibly upper cheek lifts) to give the best result possible (after looking horrendous for so long!) I still have the yellowing, but I think after a great result with the bleph, the discoloration will be a minor flaw. Like that old song says "Accentuate the Positive". :) Hang in there.
Well, the doctor is from China and was going back there for a business trip (he mentioned) while he gave me my first injection of hyaluronidase. Weeks later I read about counterfeit filler from China. So it's only a suspicion/question in my mind. And I've read where some doctors recommend a biopsy just to make sure the treating physician knows what they're really dealing with...especially if usual treatments aren't working.
Very good to do biopsy if applicable for uncertainty about what's going on. I'd like to know more about the biopsy and if they can also test the filler as well as any liquid along with or replacing filler over time. (One dermatologist said she thought water was in the filled area under my eyes, replacing the filler.)