SAFE TCA Peel at Home - San Antonio, TX

As a 48 year old with many years of sun damage and...

As a 48 year old with many years of sun damage and those pesky newly appearing age spots, I decided to uncover some new skin without the high price of a spa or dermatologist.  You CAN do it safely if you are very careful.

Start with only a 12.5% solution (a small bottle of this can be found online for about $25).  Begin with only a one layer peel the first time.  Complete instructions are usually included....always follow them!  If you do okay with a 1 and 2 layer peel, you can add layers each subsequent treatment, spaced 3 weeks apart.  You will eventually know how much your particular skin can tolerate.  I have not done more than a 3 layer peel.

Never buy a strong solution.  There are horror stories out there of people using 50 and 100% TCA, with terrible consequences, including permanent scarring.

Just as a guideline, I only dip my Q-tip into the the solution once for a single layer on my whole face.  Always wait 5 minutes between layers.  I have also done 3-layer spot treatments on age spots -- it takes a few treatments for them to completely disappear.   A small bottle of the solution should give you many muti-layer treatments, saving you $100's over going to a specialist.

Makeup Artists' Choice

I did it myself

I've tried TCA at home 20% in several layers for up to 10 minutes & haven't been able to remove age spots on my arms. The area around the spots gets frosty so I rinse but the spot itself does not frost. My spots are slightly raised and not all that dark but certainly darker than my fair skin and get darker in the sun. Any suggestions?
Unless you have a multitude of age spots, Try using use a Q-tip and dab the TCA directly on the spots numerous times over a matter of a minute or so, until you actually see the frosting. I have done this on dark spots on my face, and the individual spots will dry up and peel.
I would not use TCA anywhere around the eyes. Chest is okay.
Can u use the TCA peel right under the eyes for wrinkles & the chest for sun damage?
I am quite experienced with peels and have used for years.My advice for anyone would be not to start with TCA, but with Glycolic Acid.Especially if you are doing your full face.
You start with 1 to 2 minutes and neutralize with soda. After several peels you can move up to 6 minutes.You must be very careful and follow directions or risk a bad burn and scarring.
I have to tell you one thing I did that I wouldn't recommend to anyone, however it worked beautifully for me.
I used the wart remover you get in an aerosol can and zapped some particularly ugly and stubborn age spots. It got red, scabbed slightly and after 3 days I put a piece of tape across it and pulled the scab off with tape. The results are incredible. My skin looks smooth and slightly pinkish which I am sure will go away in a few weeks.
Guys, I have been doing research myself regarding TCA peel and got finally convinced to try it. But the kit are far expensive and way too much high. After reading articles about TCA and finding the right product at an affordable price, I have purchased 20% TCA Peel Set which includes Green Peeling Oil, Bleaching Soap and Cream and Hydrocotisone Cream for only $30 plus $10 shipping! What I will be purchasing outside the kit is the ointment that will be used after each soak of TCA. I used TCA for my skin peeling and not for my face. I was afraid to try it on my face because it may burn my face. Surprisingly, at a lower cost, my skin rejuvenated and revealed a younger looking skin! If your'e interested with the products, just tell me guys and I'll be willing to accommodate.
hey hotmomma, glad you had good results. Where did you get yours? I just got the 12.5 percent from MUAC and now I wonder if I should start at 15 or 20 percent the way you did....what do you mean you didn't use it for your face?
Hi hotmomma can you tell me which product are you using? Many thanks.
After much research, I think I've decided to buy my peels from Platinum Skin Care. Their 'About Us' page sold me, really. Made me realize that not all TCA peels on the market are equal. They're more expensive that some others, but I'd rather spend more and get a quality product. This is, after all, acid that I'm going to be putting on my face! :)
yes also do NOT forget it's a lot about the pH of the peel. An unbuffered lower percentage TCA is far stronger than one that is buffered and of higher percentage.
My experience- was scared to do peel at home for fear that the product would burn my face off, leave scars, make me blind, leave uneven areas, etc. First time I used 15% TCA from Perfect Peel Solutions (ebay or website) and it started burning after 30 seconds or so - about a 5 on scale of 1-10 - no white frosting on face - left on a few minutes with blow dryer running on cool and then rinsed off - used Eucerin face lotion SPF 30 - I was worried at first because you're face turns red, very tight feeling and wrinkled- and after 4 days still no peeling - thought I may have just scarred my face forever - but then on day 5 it peeled. Takes about 10 days to complete process. Worst part was the worried feeling that its never going to peel, but actually stay wrinkled and tight. Don't worry - it will peel. Since then I've used 20% with 2-layers which completely removed all my freckles from sun this past summer - AMAZING - you will actually see the freckle/sun damage spots on your peeled skin. Please know that it will all come right back if you don't stay out of the sun - same spots will come back in the same spots if you're in the sun. Happened to me -granted, I peeled them off with the peel, but I plan on staying out of the sun for the rest of the year. 39-yr old with medium skin - tanning bed for over 20 yrs and my skin looked perfect until age 36- then it all caught up to me. Peels have worked wonders but it is a pain to look terrible for a week.
Great advice, Jiminy Cricket! Peels CAN be done at home safely, but you MUST work your way up from lower concentrations. Note that the majority the people on the board who have complained of burning or scarring or lesions from a home TCA peel jumped in and did a 30-50%+ peel without working up to it. Be an educated consumer and read up before trying out peels; start with something very light, like a 10% glycolic peel - *get to know your skin and how it reacts* to the chemicals and use it for a while to get your skin accustomed to peeling. Different peels have different strengths and a TCA peel is a stronger peel, so if you're just starting out, consider a more superficial peel at first. Remember that peels don't always visibly peel, but they are still working under the surface (even a light peel is still stimulating collagen production!) and that even when they do, it can sometimes take as much as a week or more for the actual peeling to start. Take your time and progress slowly - peels are cumulative, as you can get just as good a result doing a series of 10% peels as you can one 25% peel, so there's no reason to push it for instant results. Let your skin build up its own natural protective barriers as you progress and you'll be so much happier with your results!
Dekejis, thanks for the input although many docs on here seem to disagree. None of them recommend homepeels....but I just ordered one bc I trust other people on here. I am about to try the 12.5% from MUAC and I will follow exact directs, but a few things that I read on here worry. me. First, one woman said if you DON"T go deep enough, you actually reveal the aging skin beneath the surface, so that new wrinkles can appear which you can only fix with deeper peels the next time -- arghh who wants to do that? That's why maybe people start off at higher dosage? I mean, I have been using RetinA for years and I wonder if my skin can handle more. Also, what do people on here recommend before the peel -- stop the RetinA? Exfoliate more? I am pretty scared but if I do it I will try to describe my experience best as possible
About how long have your peels lasted? Also, have you increased the strength, yet? I have tried some vitalize peels (3)but they have basically done nothing for my skin. I'm thinking of trying something a little stronger. I'm talking more like 20% TCA combined with a jessner's peel. Are these peels safe under your eyes? That's where most of my wrinkles are. Thanks!

Hi Dider. I know it's three years later, but did you find out if the 20% TCA combined with a jessner's peel is safe under the eyes - thats where most my wrinkles are too and I'm worried about how harsh this peel is. I'm doing it myself this weekend.

Search under "Yavonae" on the internet for purchasing TCA. They offer TCA and Clycolic acids at different strengths. Also, you can make a weaker solution with a stronger by adding water. Both TCA and Glycolic are water based. Instructions tell you how to mix, apply, and aftercare. Check it out.
Just FYI. I actually DO recommend my TCA peel provider, the website where I purchased it. I may have checked "DO NOT" because I did it myself.

{edited} I am including the website where I bought my TCA. Hopefully this is allowed on the site.

Edited by Sharon: We've added your provider info to the top of the review. Thanks! We don't allow links in comments unless it is educational in nature, but a Google search of the company will bring up their website.
Thanks!! The other user who posted her peeling pictures is purchasing from the same company. Now I feel more confident to do it myself. RealSelf.com is such a great website!
We'll appreciate that you can tell us the exact website you bought from.
Are you gonna tell us where you bought it? -there are alot of scams out there!
Vonns-- You can find TCA online very easily. I bought a small bottle for $25 and have done at least 3 peels with it. The one thing I stress is that you start out at a low strength, like 12.5% and see how your skin does. I had very little burning.
Hi J! Curious about how much it burned and what store you bought your peel from? (I'm 25 with moderately sundamaged skin and want to try a peel but not spend a lo)t.
Thanks a lot for posting this, Jiminy Cricket! Much appreciated. Personally, I'd be afraid to do it myself, but then I don't think I'd trust a "professional" either. :)