35yoa Single Mom Standard Tummy Tuck + Breast Lift + Augment (Full C) - Sacramento, CA

My first post with 20 days to go until surgery. ...

My first post with 20 days to go until surgery. My pre-op is next week, I feel oddly ready and not nervous; not even just a little. I know 100% this is the right thing for me! I labeled this a "Mommy Makeover" only because this site doesn't offer both a Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift/Augment procedure type and I didn't want to make two posts every time. I am full aware that I am not getting just a little nip tuck and lift.

HOW I GOT HERE:

1978-2009 - "big boned" to put it lightly. I thought that being 199lbs was the perfect weight for me but found myself back and forth between 220-230lbs, tipping the scale at 253. I loved (and still do, but choose differently) food. Didn't usually pass it up. My food of choice? Greasy, fried, fast and big servings + a big 'ol soda with ice!
2006/Springtime: Got married. December: had a healthy 8lb baby boy.
2008/Fall: He moved out.
2009/June: Signed on the dotted line; DIVORCE FINAL.
2009/September: Had Gastric Bypass Surgery @ 256lbs. On my list of Top 5 Best Things I've Ever Done.
2009-2013: Lost a total of 101lbs. My lowest was 155lbs and I average between 165lbs and 170lbs.
2013/November: Made up my mind. I'm getting a tummy tuck and my boobies perked up a bit. Consult was scheduled a week later.
2014/January: 20 days until surgery and counting .....
Congrats and good for you - what an amazing weight loss you have achieved. This is a brave and good choice you've made, I think. I am having mine on 27 Jan. Best wishes for a safe surgery and speedy recovery. Hope to see your updates and follow your wonderful journey!
Thank you thank you for your support!
Congratulations on your weigh loss and decision to undergo Plastic surgery! I also had a close to 100lb weight loss, and had a LBL, as well as breast and arm lift, it was the best decision I have ever made! I hope you have an easy recovery and an awesome result!

$$$ How Much $$$ ???

For my procedures I planned on spending $20k. This gave me enough to cover the surgery and anything/everything else. Here is my BREAKDOWN:

$15,920: Procedures + Fees. Includes the three procedures (abdominalplasty, breast life and breast augment), scheduling fees, compression garments, medicine pump, etc. Because I chose to have the procedures together I was given a couple hundred dollars off. The initial $60 consult fee that I paid for was taken off as well. This is the amount I have paid directly to the surgery center. In order to make a surgery appointment I had to pay the scheduling fees ($1,160). The remaining had to be paid, in full, two weeks before the surgery date.

$1,700 - General Anesthesia "pre-payment". This number could potentially change depending on how the surgery goes on the day of. This payment is made directly to the Anesthesiologist who is essentially contracted out from the surgery center that I selected.

$45 - Labs. Quick blood draw; I was in and out. Paid out of pocket for this. SIDE NOTE: I was told that I could go to my primary care physician, asked her to write me an order for lab work and then my insurance would cover it. I felt that it was a lot of work, plus I was worried the lab results and paperwork would not get to the surgery center in time and I really didn't want the hassle. Now, if the lab work fees were a couple hundred dollars or more then, yeah, I would have gone the RX route.

$$$$$ - Other stuff. I've purchased new cozy sleep pants, zip up sweaters, wireless bras, vitamins, poop aids, I'm considering renting a hospital bed, Redbox, magazines, movie/music/book downloads for recovery entertainment, extra cost for the nanny ....... All I'm sayin' is consider these things, they add up quickly.

Pictures Finally

Here are my pictures. I feel like they might be a bit graphic but I really wanted to show the big muff vagina bump, deflated breasts and belly.
Awesome story you have going here! I'm excited to follow your progress. You might want to check out this humorous post about the different stages of a mommy makeover. :) Please keep us updated!
Cute. Thanks!
Thanks for the pics. I think you're gonna have a great result. Might wanna hang on to the shaper clothes till after you finish healing/swelling, lol. You are a week before me. I'll be watching you're progress, thanks again for sharing.

Hospital Bed? OR no Hospital Bed??

In researching my procedures I've seen a few posts/blogs about patients renting a hospital bed to aid in recovery. Initially, I thought it seemed a bit .. ridiculous? I figured my bed was the perfect height; I have a ton of good pillows. That my recliner will work just fine and I felt confident that I could set up my couch and ottoman to make a cozy resting/recovery spot. Then I talked to a co-worker who had the same procedure and she told about a time during her recovery that she was "stuck" in her recliner in the middle of the night yelling for help from her care giver. She said she was is in too much pain and lacked the momentum to get the recliner down so that she could use the restroom; that she almost wet herself. This was the moment I began seriously considering the hospital bed. I am NOT going to pee myself.

I called around to local medical supply stores. One (in Davis) would rent the bed to me for $250 a WEEK. Jackson Medical Supply in Woodland rented the bed to me for $270 for the MONTH. This includes delivery, set up, take down and pick up. They would not pro-rate the bed based on a shorter rental period. Although I anticipated needing the bed for only about two weeks, I figured having it for the month might just be worth it and in the event I was ready for it to be picked up early, then I could just give them a call.

I'm having the bed delivered on Monday (my surgery is Wednesday) that way I have some time to get it all set up; wash the sheets and get my blankets out. One blog I read suggested getting a memory foam mattress topper. I don't really love the memory foam toppers but I have a egg foam mattress topper that I'll use. I'll set up a bed side table with a light and all the stuff I'll need. I'm going to have it set up in the living room; there's lost of light and the good BIG TV is in there.

After arranging delivery of the bed, I feel even more at ease with the recovery process. We'll see. We'll see. It will definitely be weird walking into my house and seeing a hospital bed in my living room but I'm pretty sure I won't be hosting any dinner parties anytime soon.
Oh I think that is EXCELLENT about the bed. Hubby and I bought side-by-side twin adjustable sleep number beds (head and feet move up and down with a remote) about 3 years ago. We have LOVED them! I had my breast reduction 12 weeks ago, and it made ALL the difference in the world in my rest and recovery. I don't think I would have slept much at all the first two weeks without it. Now I'm sked for my TT in 20 days, I'm CERTAIN it's gonna be necessary. You are really close now, EXCITING! I'm pulling for you ;-)
Thanks Happy Suzy. Why did you wait to have the TT?
Primarily..My age....and I have been pretty inactive for quite some time, am not in great shape. So thought this would make it pretty difficult getting up and down if I couldn't use the upper body/arms (was told after breast surgery NOT to push with or lift arms in the first few weeks after). Definitely need the arms and legs after the TT , I think. Also, hadn't had any surgeries since my c-section, wasn't really sure how well I would heal. As it turns out, I had an anomaly with my breasts, I rejected internal stitches, and it took til this week (12 weeks PO) for the last little spots to finish healing. Because of this, my PS will use different materials for closing me up on my TT. This RARELY happens. Anyway, NOW I'm really glad I separated the two surgeries.

Problem with the Pooooooh

When I had gastric bypass I recovered very well. I really didn't experience ANY problems except constipation. I'm confident this was due to the change in diet but mostly because I was not drinking enough water. I took ONE dose of the prescription medication so I know it wasn't because of the drugs (like some say). It was simply because I was not drinking enough water.

I was so constipated. It was horrible. Thanks to that experience" I have these lovely hemorrhoids that make an appearance every now at then (yeah, that's hot .. not) and a weird fear of becoming constipated again.

So, of course, I plan on drinking as much water as humanly possible but not really knowing what the pain will be like, will I get enough water into my system? I have Miralax (liquid), a stool softener and the One-a-Day Tru-Biotics (umm this was expensive, almost $25 for a small bottle) to aid in my cozy pooh experience.

My question to you? Any tips/suggestions to insure a cozy poo besides the methods I've listed here?

Thanks!
Good luck on your mommy makeover !! We will be having the same procedures on the same day.
Yes! Good luck to both of you!! I also am having mm on the same day. =) so excited! ! Can't wait. Worried about the early recovery part. It's tuff to be dependent on someone so much. =/
Looks like January is a busy Mommy Makeover month! Good luck!

Pre-Op Appointment - 13 Days to Go!

I had my pre-op appointment yesterday. Here’s the blow-by-blow:

The Medical Assistant (MA) reviewed some paperwork with me and I signed a few forms. She took my blood pressure and listened to my lungs. The doctor came in and we went over my questions (see the list below). He did a breast and abdominal exam and gave me three prescriptions (norco, muscle relaxer and an antibiotic). We talked again about my breast size (no bigger than a “full C” I will reiterate this again in the day of surgery) and the appointment was pretty much over. If this sounded short and sweet, it really was. I think maybe I was in there for 15mins? I left the exam room, got my “doctor’s note” for work, asked a few more questions and was on my way.

Here were my questions and answers.

Q: Nipple sensation.
A: Typically not a problem; we talked about it a little and I felt satisfied with the response.

Q: Would like a second compression garment.
A: No need to buy another one. I already get two. Great!

Q: Shaving (pubic). Do I need to go completely bare or do my regular “style”?
A: Regular style is just fine.

Q: Ok to continue to take my birth control?
A: Yes.

Q: Ok to continue to take my regular daily vitamins (Women’s One-a-Day multi, ProBiotics One-a-Day and Biotin)?
A: Yes.

Q: I purchased Arnica and Bromelain. Could/should I take them both?
A: Suggested I take the Arnica not Bromelain; he didn’t know much about the Bromelain. Didn’t think it was a problem if I took them both (I’m going to research this a little more).

Q: Any suggestions regarding the constipation issue?
A: Suggested a stool softener and product similar to MiraLAX. Also GasX.

Q: Will they call my person picking me up when surgery is over? (There is a $150 fee if the person picking me up is not on time)
A: Once surgery is over, a staff member will call and advise what time to be at the facility to pick me up.
(My mom is my “person” she is going to take me and wait in the waiting area while I’m in surgery. She isn’t planning on leaving the site other than for a bite to eat or something. This made me feel really good … I really didn’t think she’d wait there all day. The surgery is like 7hrs long. I think I’m going to make her a little “waiting kit” as a thank you gift for being there for me.)
your surgery is the day after mine. Best wishes for a smooth recovery :)
Awesome update and prep questions. I asked most all of those TODAY when I saw my doc (I have pre-op on Monday, but won't see him). You ARE ready! Excited for you...and me too, I'm in 18 days. ((HUGS))
It is so close I can almost feel it. Keep strong we are almost there ladies ;-)

Last Week of Work + Nesting

Today starts my last week of work before my surgery. I'll have six weeks off to insure a good recovery. Part of me hopes I don't need the full six weeks but the idea of having six weeks OFF is very appealing.

I still feel ready; keeping myself busy with things that make me feel good. I've been doing some nesting around the house. I want all those piddley things done so as I am laying there, not able to move, the piddley thing isn't on my mind. I've made a list of movies I want to see/rent, I'll buy some magazines next week and maybe hit the craft store for an easy craft I can do in my lap. Maybe I'll take up knitting? I saw some cool easy "beginner's" knitting things at Michael's. I've got to go to Wal Mart for the toilet seat riser and shower seat. Lowe's for the removable showerhead and to the grocery store for some easy snacks and freezer meals. Prescriptions need to be filled.

My Mom is going to be with me for the day of and days to follow so I am going to grab some of her favorite things for the fridge. I'm also going to make her a "Waiting Kit" (she insists on staying in the waiting room during my 6+hr surgery which made me feel kinda' taken care of) with magazines, snacks, water and an iTunes card to keep her busy. I think I'm going to get a "beginner's" knitting thing for her too? My close girlfriend will be with me for the weekend so next week I'll grab a few things for her too. I'm looking forward to getting caught up with her.

My son is going to be with his Dad for a week after the surgery. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready for him to be home after a week. Plus I have a nanny (who is awesome) and sisters and friends that can help out. He is seven so he can do a lot on his own. I've talked to him about getting my "tummy fixed" after he commented on it being "all flabby" so he knows I'm going to have a surgery. He also knows the hospital bed is coming so I think he has been prepped as much as he needs to be. would prefer all the drains be removed before he comes home so it's not all bloody and gross looking. Bottom line, I can play it by ear, his Dad and I are on good terms so give or take a few days would be fine.

Has anyone had to pay the anesthesiologist more after the surgery?
Hello how did it go? I'm looking into having a MM from him and I was just wondering if you recommend him? Can you post after pictures? Thanks
Your surgery looks profesional. You are going to look so good
Tomorrow is our big day! Cant wait!!!! Hope to see an update from you soon...best, best of luck! And prayers for the doctor and his staff...
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon