Difficult Recovery That Ended in Success - Sacramento, CA

I had my chin implant done 8 months ago. In the...

I had my chin implant done 8 months ago. In the first few weeks post-op I was completed freaked out because the left side of my lower lip was totally paralyzed - I couldn't move that part of my lip at all, which not only made my smile look awful, it also impeded my ability to talk well.

I feared I had ruined my face and that my smile would never return. However, at 3 1/2 weeks I all of a sudden regained a little movement in my left lower lip. Hooray! The movement returned failed quickly after that and most swelling gone after 2 months, with everything looking pretty good.

If you would have asked me on those first few weeks I'd have told you don't ever do it. But over time the results ended up being exactly what I'd hoped for. I still have a little residual numbness on the lower right side of my chin but nothing problematic and I'm hopeful that will still return after more time.

Some advice: find an excellent facial plastic surgeon who clearly goes over everything with you, including all possible side effects and a realist recovery timeline. My surgeon was a plastic surgeon but did not specialize in the face and that was a mistake. He wasn't thorough in his pre-op education and I realized too late that he wasn't as experienced with this specific procedure, which was why I panicked when things went awry in the beginning.

All in all my results were positive and I'm very glad I did it. Even though I like the results, if I had to do it over again I'd choose a different surgeon, but I'd still definitely do it again. And I hope that sharing this will be helpful to some. :)