30yr Old, Mother to One and Tired of the Pain - Sacramento, CA

Hi all! I just wanted to say thank you for being...

Hi all! I just wanted to say thank you for being on this group. Because of you I have finally made the phone call and have my first apt with plastic surgery tomorrow regarding explantation. I am neverous and somewhat embarrassed. I have a toddler and am wondering how long was recovery? Any words of advice?

Update

Thanks! Sorry I couldn't post longer as I ran out of room on the initial one. I have had them for 4.5 yrs, silicone and i see the muscle. I had my consult today through Kaiser Hospital as they will be covered under my medical plan. I had a little pain after I had them placed and the Dr stated he probably hit a nerve. The pain had been off and on over the years however after having my daughter and attempting to breast feed I've noticed a constant pain. She is almost 2 and in the last 6-8 months the pain is constant and at times takes my breath away (only in the right one) I mentioned it again to my OB and he suggested I have them removed. I have been extremely embarrassed by this and haven't told many people, outside of my husband and best friend, about this. I feel like I'm living a secret life in a way. Anyway after my OB recommended I remove them I found this website and it has brought me so much relief! I was so relieved to find out I wasn't the only one who paid a ton of money for implants and was removing them. I can honestly say if it wasn't for this website I would probably continue to live in pain and keep it secret.

Ok so my apt was this morning. The dr was amazing and actually turns out that he knew my plastic surgeon (back in Nebraska) as he worked with him during his residency (small world!) anyway I was so amazed that he didn't suggest a lift or new implants because I've seen on here dr's recommending it! He took measurements and he believes my right one (the one with pain) has never settled into the pocket. He also said that he believes I have a few pinched nerves. He said that while he can't guarantee the pain will go away most women says it does. He said it appears I have enlighten soft tissue to where it should heal nicely. So the ball is in my court. I just have to tell him I'm ready and they will schedule my explantation. I'm so scared for multiple reasons one being it is surgery after all. Plus how will I look, will I hate them and be depressed, etc. I just have to get past my embarrassment and scared and just book it. We don't have family around so we will have to fly in a grandma to help take care of the almost 2yr old. Anyone have advice on how long I should have someone out here to help?

Thank you again for all your encouragement. I'm still so nervous and just need to pull the trigger. My dr recommended it in June and it took me 2 months just to call my insurance to see if they would cover it. I'm hoping to make this decision soon as I'm tired of the constant pain (even the shower hurts at times) but like I said mentally its a hard decision you all know that :) thanks for supporting me!

Correction

**under the muscle**

Surgery date!

Hi all! I've done it I set my surgery date today! To my surprise its much sooner than I anticipated! Its Sept 29...26 days away! It was either sept 29 or sometime in Nov. I'm over the pain and ready to be done and start healing!

My daughter's 2nd birthday is Sept 28 so I know we will have a fun family day the day before which is just what I will need to keep my mind off of the surgery.

My next dr apt is Sept 17. Anything I need to know? Need to ask the dr? Also, it looks like I will have my MIL here for the first week but nobody the 2nd week. My daughter is Bly 22lbs and pretty self sufficient minus nap time (getting in and out of the crib) how long did it take y'all to "fully" heal? I plan on having different gf's and their kid come over the 2nd week to play with her so I can lay on the couch.

I received the list of items to buy. TY I know after I had my implants placed I got a zip up sportsbra from Walmart does it really matter the brand? I don't want to spend too much but also want to make sure I'm doing things right the first time (unlike when I had the implants placed)

Thanks again for all your support and encouragement! Prior to this site I didn't even know ppl removed them and I'm so thankful I'm not alone!

Question

I also am pretty sure I will have tubes placed. Anything I need to know about that? Eeek I'm nervous and excited! I just want as much info as possible thanks again!

Agree with Happy and Holistic. I'm am feeling great without pain in my armpit, upper left chest, neck on the left and both shoulders!
Congrats on setting the date! You will feel so much better after the explant - to live without pain - I'm very excited for you!
Thank you for being so supportive. Good luck on your explantation in a few weeks! Can't wait to hear how you feel
You definitely have our support. You have to do all this at your own pace on a schedule that feels right to you.

Here's a list of supplies for recovery for when the time comes.

Please keep us posted on how your process is going.
I'm glad to hear you had a positive connection with the PS...that's crucial in making this experience go well. Of course having a good support system at home as well. My PS said no exercise for 3 weeks - I would imagine that lifting a 2 year old would be a no-no for at least that length of time. If you have pain now...you may need a little extra TLC when it comes to healing after the explant - it just depends on what's going on, for example removal of the capsule makes healing take a little longer. It's always easier to explant if your implant is over the muscle but you have youth on your side plus you have not had the implants IN very long so your results should be very good. The way I look at it is this: you are in pain NOW and that pain is NOT going to go away. Why continue to live in pain? - you don't deserve that - you deserve to be healthy, whole and healed not just FOR YOU but for your family. You will be a better person all around to yourself and to everyone you love by taking care of this. Quiet your mind - listen to your intuition and it will guide you in the right direction. Keep me posted - I care.
I also have an appointment for a consult tomorrow. I am seeing dr Clark in Folsom. Which dr are you seeing?
I saw Dr Kenneth Phillips with Kaiser. He was amazing! He made me feel comfortable and confident. He didn't recommend any "extras" in fact he said I don't need any of it and he wouldn't recommend it. I don't know if he also works at a practice (some do some don't) I know when I had mine placed my dr then worked for a clinic and the hospital. Good luck!
I saw Dr. Howard Sutkin in San Jose/Los Gatos. I'm looking at doing a lift with him too. He's awesome. Made it so easy! Good luck at your appt!
Only words of advice would be to find a surgeon you're really comfy with and trust. It's best if he's supportive of your just wanting to explant and not replace (if that's what you're wanting). I agree with Happy and Holistic, helps to know the length of time they were in, if there was any capsular contracture and where they were placed. Just did mine last week and I'm LOVING it more and more everyday. They look and feel fine. Mine were on top of the muscle so it was easy and quick under local. Good luck and hope you find a surgeon your like!
It would be helpful to have more details about your implants as in are they over or under the muscle, what size are they, how long have you had them, what kind of pain are you experiencing, etc. Because you are young, you will probably heal quickly. I look forward to hearing more about you and your journey!