So Nervous, 36DD/DDD to C - Sacramento, CA

After having kids I went from a 34C to a 36DD/DDD....

After having kids I went from a 34C to a 36DD/DDD. They hurt my back, cause indentations in my shoulders and generally make it hard to wear the types of clothes I want to wear. I finally got up the courage to ask for a consult and the process was much easier than I expected. Basically they have to remove 400cc and it is covered. The problem is that 400cc could possibly make me extremely small. I'm afraid of being left with an A cup. I have been pouring over before and after images and finding cc's removed where that info is listed. I swear as soon as he showed me how much he would be taking out, my boobs instantly became smaller to me even though they are the same size. I go back and forth between, "Oh they are not that big, just lose some weight and they will be fine." to "Just go for it, anything is better than what they are now!" I could definitely use some opinions on whether I should go through with it or not.

Glad to hear all went well. I look forward to hearing more about how your recovery is going, that is the part I am most worried about. Take care : )
Oh, wow, I see. The hippa regs make sense though. In my opinion, Kaiser is a great organization too (and continues to improve), so i'm sure your gut feeling along with experience so far means all is just fine.
Thanks for responding to my questions & I'm actually wanting to wait about 3 months anyway since a summer surgery works best for me as far as school and work go. Well, positive thoughts to ya and I'll be anxious to check on your updates.
Oh my gosh, your surgery is very soon. I have read where Kaiser has wait lists, so I was curious to see how long you had between consult and surgery. I have a consult appointment next week at the same Kaiser as Dr. Vento's office, but they have me down with Dr. Garcia instead. I 'm so nervous too! I will be so curious now to read more about your experience with Kaiser. I have had them all of my life, but my sister has told me that she will pay for the surgery elsewhere if Kaiser will not cover. Soooo, that made me wonder if I should get a consult outside of Kaiser as well after obsessing on all of the information on the web. Oh well, sorry to take over your post with all of that..ha. I did want to ask you if you asked Dr. Vento if he had any before and after pictures & if so, how that went?

Anyway, I wish you very well tomorrow and will be thinking of you and sending prayers as well.

Just added a photo of 4 days post op. They are...

Just added a photo of 4 days post op. They are bruised and hopefully still a little swollen but at least look smaller than before.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

It looks like I was worried about being too small...

It looks like I was worried about being too small for nothing. My ps said he only took a couple hundred grams out. Now I'm worried I'm not going to be small enough! I'm hoping some swelling will go down and I have 20 pounds to lose and that will leave me the c I wanted. He asked if I wanted him to error on the too big or too small side and I said too big because I thought he had to take 400 grams out and there would be no way I would be left a d. I have to keep reminding myself to wait and see and not worry for a couple of months.

I feel the tightness around the intire boob both of them. They are sitting so high on my chest that it hurts to have them so high, I guess I am not use to them sitting there lol. I also have the volume on the sides. I agree it is very uncomfortable and gets old having this hump under my arms, I had the rolls there to begin with but the boobs were big enough and blended in with them that It was not noticable at all, but now they are. just wait a couple more days, the itching intencifies!!!! I am constantly lightly scratching. the ice packs real help to sooth it down a lot. Today I started having just random pinches and slight, quick pains that run through them. I am assuming this is normal it feels that way anyway. I go for my follow up in the morning, I can't wait to see how my nipples turned out. Are you sleeping flat yet?
I'm not taking pain meds anymore except at night to help me sleep. The dr prescribed vicodine and Tylenol. I did take it regularly the first 4 days though. I just feel a little tightness around the incisions and slight itching. I feel a lot of volume on the sides of my breasts and it makes it difficult to put my arms down by my side.
Jen you look good at 4 days out. Looks like you realy didn't have alot of brusing. How are you at being comfortable, not the pain but just being comfortable in general?

Bummer, my appetite is back! I took full advantage...

Bummer, my appetite is back! I took full advantage of the loss of appetite I experienced the first 4 days after surgery and ate very light and healthy and I've lost almost 8 pounds this week. I don't know how that happened but I'll take it. I tooky measurements today and I'm actually measuring a 38C, almost a 38B with my sports bra on and the abd pads in. I'm feeling better about my size but I am so motivated to lose weight and have a nice body to go with my new perky boobs.

How are you doing today Girlie??

Good thanks Kimmers! I overdid it yesterday and am feeling it today but the swelling is going down and I'm not really worried about being too big anymore. They look great for my frame size and are already close to the goal bra that I brought in. I know myself and knew I would have all kinds of crazy feelings after the surgery. My surgeon did a great job. I'll be taking a few more healing pics today or tomorrow.

That's wonderful!!!   I will be watching for the new pics!

I have never had the best luck with blind faith. I...

I have never had the best luck with blind faith. I tend to have the attitude of how bad can it be, it will be fine. Just go for it. Often times that attitude leaves me disappointed or worse. With Kaiser you are limited to the doctors they offer and I could find no reviews or information about the dr. I was referred to other than the generic info provided by Kaisers website. I had no option but to have blind faith in Dr. Vento and hope that my gut feeling was right and the fact that he was head of the department was a good sign. It is now day 12 post op and the healing is going really well. I did overdo it a few days ago and noticed a big increase in the swelling under my arms. They are still very hard but I think they may be softening a little. I'm over my little freak-out that they might have been left too big. They fit me beautifully and I am so excited to see them completely healed. I know they will only get better and if I am this happy with them now, I can only imagine how I will feel three months from now. I am so glad that I was referred to Dr. Vento, he did an amazing job and seemed to know what would look best on me and did that while keeping in mind all of our previous conversations. I am so happy, now I just can't wait to be completely healed so that I can resume my normal activities!

You look amazing! Congratulations on your wonderful results! So glad that you trusted your instincts and jumped right in!
Amazing! Thank you for sharing updates. As you know, I appreciate yours so much more as I have Dr. Vento as well. My consult went very well and I will be scheduling for later in the summer due to work/school responsibilities. I haven't had a chance to start a review yet, but will do eventually. Nevertheless, so far Dr. Vento is a nice man & as you say, definitely has his info down probably because he's done so many - OK with me! haha. He said I would need to take 6 weeks off from work. Thanks again for sharing your pics as it does help ease my worries tremendously. You look fabulous!
Yes he told me the same thing about taking 6 weeks off and two weeks of no driving. I followed the no driving rule which was hard on the days my husband as working and I had to find a way for my kids to get to school.

It's been three weeks and things are going great....

It's been three weeks and things are going great. I have to admit that I have been obsessing over what size I am going to end up. I really didn't want to be any bigger than a 36C but was so freaked out about the required 400 grams that I told him to error on the side of too large. After surgery they seemed so wide and were still fitting into D's, I freaked out a little. Now they are starting to soften and drop and I am really close to fitting into that 36C, I actually measure at a 38B! I think if I can get rid of the 20 pounds I need to lose I may end up even smaller which is just fine with me. I'm starting to feel relieved that it seems my PS "got it" and knew that I did want to be small even with all my worries about being too small. Although I was right, if 200 grams leaves me at a C, 400 would have left me flat!

You look great, Jen! Congrats! So happy you are getting comfortable with the new you!

It's been three weeks and things are healing...

It's been three weeks and things are healing nicely. They are starting to drop and soften up and have gotten a bit smaller which is a good thing for me. I still go back and forth between loving them and wondering if they are still bigger than I wanted but overall I am very happy. They are still tender, especially where the drains were and I think I still have a little swelling in those areas. I'm trying to be patient and just wait and see.

Wow, thanks for being so honest. I'm afraid of the head trip, but I guess its a necessary evil if I want smaller boobies. Sigh.
Hello. Just reread your review, as you're one of the smaller reductions (I'm also 36DD), and I'm going in 3 days... Soo nervous! How are you feeling lately? Still satisfied with the outcome? Hope all is well.
Hi Kate! Good luck on your reduction! I'm doing good, overall yes I am happy. I think I could've gone a little smaller but I am proportioned and I'm pretty sure I still have some swelling, especially on the sides where the drains were. I'm fitting mostly D's but am close to a C so I still have hope. This whole thing really is a head trip and it is hard to not focus on the letter on your bra tag and just wait and see. I thought i was prepared for the emotional roller coaster but i really wasnt. Like everyone says it takes months not weeks before you reach your final size. I am planning on posting updates for at least the first six months. It's hard to find long term outcomes.

I haven't had a chance to do my 6 week update yet....

I haven't had a chance to do my 6 week update yet. I took pics and will try to get those up soon. Things are going great! I've spent the last couple of weeks away from bras and cup sizes and have just been wearing my sports bras and the Bali comfort bra that everyone was talking about. (love that bra) I've started back at the gym and have been doing the elliptical machine with the arms. My left breast tends to swell a bit more after a workout but it feels so good to workout again. I've notice that if I lift my arms up I can see an indentation where it looks like my breast ends and then the side swelling near my drain holes were starts. So hopefully when that swelling goes away completely I will have my C's but honestly either way I am happy with them. They look small on my tall frame and I can totally go without a bra an they are lifted up off my torso completely! I have to say that I love them :)

Thanks for the info. My surgeon broke her shoulder so my date got pushed back to the fall. Now all I can do is sit around and think of new questions to ask! I wonder if they will change shape over the next few months and drop a little you'll feel smaller? Or could they still be swollen? I don't think they look too big at all, they look perfect!
Your results look fantastic!
Thank you! I am very happy with he results.

It's been about 3 1/2 months now. I am back to...

It's been about 3 1/2 months now. I am back to life as usual. Working out a lot and running is sooooo much more comfortable than before. I actually enjoy it now. I have purchased a few underwire bras. I never realized how much variation there is between manufacturers! I fit some C's and some D's. I bought the C's. Funny thing though, I still prefer a minimizer. Maybe I really did want to be a B? I bought the same style minimizer I had before (it was a DD and too small) but in a C cup this time (the D was too big). I just prefer the shape it gives me. I don't think I'll ever want a push up bra. Still have a little over 15 pounds to lose so I still hope they will be smaller. The one thing that bothers me a little is the shape they seem to have settled in. There is a lot more fullness in the bottom outside giving them a slanted appearance. I have been using Mederma on my scars. They are softening and flattening. They have also faded a bit. Hopefully over time they will fade much more. I know dark skin tends to pigment more and that is okay with me. I never was worried about the scarring. Overall, I am satisfied with the way they turned out. I know that I am so much smaller than before, two cup sizes smaller, and they fit my proportionally. I am still so glad I had it done.

i have kaiser and thats exactly how i feel!!! that part of it is really scary... :(
Thank you for this post....I have talked with Dr Vento twice and both times he was very nice, to the point and provided me with just the facts. It's been 13 months since I last saw him and have now decided I want it done. I am 6 ft, 175 lb (was 192 when I last saw him) and with the weight loss, still a 34-36 G. I have had a fusion in my c-3-4-5 due to a car accident, (broke my neck) and am finally tired of the extra weight pulling on my neck and shoulders. Your results turned out great! Thanks for sharing!
I will tell you, I didn't have a neck or back ache for 2 months, but as Dr. Vento shared with me prior to my breast reduction, it doesn't always cure all your neck and back pains. I now have some of the same pain, but I know having the BR done has definitely helped it a lot. Also I haven't had as many migraines.
Dr. Vento, Kaiser

At first I thought Dr. Vento was a little abrupt but he really has just done so many reductions that he has his schpeal down. He was so good at getting back to me when I had questions and my results, while too soon to see the final result, are very good. I think I will end up at just what I asked for.