23 Years Old, 135lb, 5'6, No Kids

Hi RealSelf community! Over the past few weeks,...

Hi RealSelf community!
Over the past few weeks, this website has helped me a lot with my research for breast augmentation and what to expect. I feel like I should give back to all of you and share my experience. I am going to make these entries very short and sweet, because that's what I would have liked to have seen more here :) Unfortunately, I will not be displaying pictures (I'm sorry, I know they help tremendously), but I personally do not feel comfortable doing so. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories. I hope mine can put some nervous minds at ease!

Post-op Days 1-3: Not bad at all

I'm 5'6, about 135lb, and was about a size 32A (possibly smaller). I had the surgery on Wednesday, May 21st. Lucky for me, I was the first of the day (7:45am). I'll start by saying the most painful part for me was the IV because I'm a huge needle-phobe. However, the nurse was so kind, and my boyfriend was so supportive, that I got through it pretty well (it's always an accomplishment when I don't faint from needles).

I changed into a "fashionable" hospital gown and slippers, as well as provided a urine sample. The anesthesiologist came by and asked me a few straightforward questions and then my doctor came by to mark me up, and verify which implants we decided to go with and that they may look a little odd for the next few months. I always appreciate and welcome honesty!

Shortly after that, I was brought back to the surgery room, laid on a bed with a nice, cozy heated blanket, and was given the anesthesia. The last thing I remember was my surgeon saying good night (which was actually very comforting haha).

I don't quite remember waking up. I did NOT have the "bowling balls on my chest" feeling at all, and I could breathe fine. The nurse who helped me get dressed and gave me sips of water explained the pill schedule to my boyfriend and I couldn't focus on much. I was wheeled out to my car and slowly placed in the seat. When I got home, I felt the pain. I'd say it was a 7/10. After taking the Percocet it went down to about a 2-3 though.

That was honestly it. My surgeon called around 7pm the day of the surgery to see how I was feeling. I don't feel any pain...more like a soreness and aching. I showered after 48 hours per instructions from my doctor and that was fine (I'm happy with how they look already). I take a walk around my apartment every 2-3 hours or so to keep the blood flowing. Other than that this is a breeze (knock on wood).

So maybe I am one of the lucky ladies, but just to reiterate the above:
+ There was very minimal pain for me
+ I have been sleeping like a rock, even in an upright position
+ I do NOT need a bunch of pillows, in fact more pillows make me uncomfortable
+ It's slightly tough to stand up, but not impossible
+ I'm in really good spirits and my surgeon/his team have been nothing but amazing and confident

I hope that my story has eased some minds and answered some questions. It really isn't that bad, and now I don't even mind having to replace them every 10+ years. I can't wait to see these pups in a few months!

Thanks for reading! Good luck!
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Tattelbaum has been nothing short of wonderful. His bedside manner is incredible and he has a confidence about him that eases any worries. He knew exactly what I was after. He made recommendations, but also allowed plenty of room for me to make my own decision. He answered every question that I had with patience and without hesitation. After my consultation with him, I knew immediately that he would be my surgeon. His assistant, Pei, is also very kind and prompt with responses. The day of my surgery, Dr. T called just to see how I was doing and to call him at any time if I have any questions or concerns. So far it has been a truly wonderful experience, and I highly recommend Dr. Tattelbaum and his staff.

I'm so happy to hear your surgery went well and that you're having a smooth recovery. What type and size implants did you get? Keep us posted as you continue to heal!