Thigh Lift Next - Rochester, NY

I'm currently recovering from an extended Arm Lift...

I'm currently recovering from an extended Arm Lift (1/17/14) and thought that I would plan a breast lift next. However, the skin tightening under the arms has pulled my chest up a little and I think I would prefer to wait on the lift until my upper body is fully healed.

My PS will not combine procedures and I doubt that I can handle too much pain/risk of complications since I'm in my mid fifties and don't recover as well as I used to. I lost 150 pounds a few years ago, had a TT and then went on to lose another 35 pounds. My weight has been stable for a long time but I only recently have the time to devote to recovering from a series of procedures.

I need to have a Thigh Lift and will eventually have the TT revised to a full body lift to pull up the outside of my hips, but removing the excess from my inner thighs (just like removing the excess from my upper arms) is a priority.

By scheduling in early April, I'll have my daughter home from school for a week to help me and I should be past the worst first weeks before the weather improves and my garden needs me.

Adding a photo to show how bad it is. I'm 5'6, 134lbs and wear 2's and 4's but it involves a lot of compression to make these thighs look slim.

This will be the test

I bought this garment:
Because it was so inexpensive and it looks like I will need it after the Thigh lift and again after I revise my TT into a Body lift (probably in October).
The garment came quickly and even though I'm close to a small by measurements, the medium will not go on because all my extra thigh skin pushes up into my hip/crotch.
I'm not worried though, I bet it will fit once I'm a few weeks post op.

Desired outcome?

To see what your thighs could look like without the sagging skin, lie down with your feet in the air, take a photo and then rotate the image to put your feet on the ground.

I will be pleased with anything close to this.

6 weeks to go

My preop appointments will be on 3/28 and 4/2/14 for medical clearance followed by mark up with my PS on the day before surgery.

I've gotten my compression garments and a few pairs cheap knit pants to wear during recovery, but I don't think I need anything else right now. I'm healing nicely from last month's arm lift, finally back to the gym this week.

Preop at hospital tomorrow

I will have preop clearance at the hospital tomorrow and see my PCP next week. I am now ten weeks post op on my arm lift and very pleased with those results and impressed at my body's ability to heal.

My weight is holding at 134, I'm wearing xs and size 2 jeans with a little wiggle room but the hanging skin is horrid. I cannot wait to get this behind me.

I have decided that my next procedure will be the body lift to pull up what this operation won't cover and then probably a BL and neck lift at the end of the year.

One week to go

I'm all clear for next Fridays surgery, my PCP said my labs looked even better than they did in January when I had my Arm Lift.

I've ordered a second CG - this one without the zippers and in black so I will have one to wash and one to wear. The upcoming week will include a lot of house cleaning, grocery shopping, protein, sleep and anything that will distract me from the waiting. I'm a little apprehensive about the first few post op days, but I have faith in my PS and my body's ability to mend. I will update once I'm "lifted".

Measurements before:

Bust after extended Arm lift : 35, 32 at bra band
Waist : 27.5
Hips: 35.5
Thighs at fullest: 21

I'm hoping the thighs lose an inch when everything heals.

All marked up

Saw my PS today for mark up. He is not sure if he will be able to take this much skin, but as long as the wrinkles improve, I'll be better.

I did find out that I will have drains for at least the first week, I'm ok with that since it will help with the fluid build up.

I will try to update once I'm home tomorrow evening.

Day of surgery

I've been home for about four hours. The surgery went well, it's always reassuring to hear that the hospital staff endorse your surgeon and a few of them are patients.

The surgery took about 3 hours, I'm cut from groin to knee although the cut in the groin is not as extensive as some I've seen in other reviews.

I have a drain in each crease and they will stay until follow up on the 17th. I'm wrapped from ankle to thigh but will be able to wear a CG after the drains are out.

The swelling is pretty bad right now but I was on my feet more than I should have been after coming home and I just had to reward myself because things were slipping.

The incisions look good and are closed with absorbable staples, absorbable sutures and glue.

The PS said he removed just over a pound of skin from each side, my initial impression before the swelling was that they looked very smooth.

Pain wise, I'm planning on staying on top of the Norcos every four hours for tonight and then see how I'm doing. I need the sleep.

I'm also drinking a lot of water, that should help.

Ouch!

This really hurts sometimes, but I'm moving around better and the swelling is also better. I have had to rewrap the bandages a few times because they want to slip down my thighs. My incisions are not oozing and the drain out put is evening out.

I've been drinking a lot of water, walking a little every hour and have stretched out the pain meds to every 6-7 hours.

I was able to get outside for a few minutes this afternoon but that made me dizzy so it's mostly the couch for me. I am sleeping well with pillows under my knees.

I'm vowing not to weigh myself for the first week because everything looks swollen from the IV fluids. My appetite is not so good but I'm eating a little when I need to take a pill.

Although I can't shower with the drains, I plan to wash my hair in the morning. I think that will improve my outlook a bunch.

Day 3 PO

I am doing so much better! I am totally off the pain meds, the swelling is going down and the only discomfort is when I move from standing to sitting or vice versa.

The drain output is slowing so I'm hopeful that they will come out on Thursday and I will be able to wear clothing more comfortably.

The biggest issue is keeping the ace bandages in place as they want to slide down. I have already thrown out some of the gauze pads because they wouldn't stay put (my PS did not use adhesives or steri strips because I am now sensitive to them) and I need to rewrap every few hours.

My incisions look good - they are sealed with glue and only hurt a little at the groin crease. I'm looking forward to switching to the CG and being able to move around more.

These photos were taken yesterday morning and still show a lot of swelling, especially near the knees, but that has already improved. I will update the photos in a few days.

First post op visit

I saw my PS today and have been freed from the drains and those ACE bandages. I'm in a CG that covers from waist to calves but it's not that bad.

My drain sites were getting a little funky yesterday so I have to keep an eye on them and swap with peroxide every few hours, but I think they will be fine.

The incisions look good, there is a bit of bruising near the knees and most of the swelling is on the inner knees. The outer sides of my thighs look so much better than I thought they ever could, when is it, I no longer have a pool of empty skin next to me.

I will take photos in the morning, I'm too tired now for that. I will see my PS again in a few weeks and will talk about the next step.

One week out

Very swollen but no pain or restriction to moving or sitting. I think I was on my feet too much yesterday and I did have a few trips up and down stairs.

I am very pleased with the progress, this recovery seems easier than my recent arm lift and I was told it would be worse.

The incisions still have a lot of glue covering them, hence the dark lines.

Glad you are taking it all in stride. I am day 3 post lipo on flanks and thighs - very sore and very bruised and swollen. Starting to see results in my waist though. I'm hoping the results will be enough to keep me from needing the bilateral lift and I can just do a simple thigh lift.
They look to be coming along really well. Sounds like you are doing great!
Oh i remember those stupid bandages. Although i didnt have as many as you have. Mine was only for thigh lipo. Glad it all going well. You can see some fantastic results already!
The bandages are stupid. I have to rewrap them a few times a day when they slip down around my knees but they do give me glimpses of my new thighs and if they slip it must mean the swelling is going down.
Very true x
You look and sound awesome I'm glad your recovery is somewhat good ! I'm am now day 4 recovery and feeling amazing as well. Though I have no drains in my thighs. Just one in my belly from my TT. I expected to be a lot more pain and discomfort but it's tolerable. Thanks for the update ! Happy healing
The drains aren't so bad but I will be happy to see them go in a few days. The only pain today is from the right drain site and that's not too bad.
Happy healing!
Sounds like your doing awesome ! Keep up on the water and walking and you'll be just fine ! Did you doctor tell you to ice the area or no ?
I'm using ice packs over my bandages and clothing - he said that was fine if it helped but not to be aggressive with the ice. It seems to calm down the hot hurt at times. I'm much better this morning but the first step off the sofa was rough because I slept a solid 6 hours and 3-4 before that.
I'm so excited to see your results!!! I, like you, lost over 100 pounds. I hope these next few days aren't so bad for you…pain wise. Please post pics when you are able to. Rest up! xxoo
I glad it went well ! Can't wait to see end results.
Glad to hear your home and doing well
Just checking in to say hello and see how you're feeling. I hope it all went well and you're not in too much pain.
I'm am doing amazing ! How about you ? I expected a lot worse my thighs burn a little but it's tolerable
Glad it went well for you!
Good luck xx
Are you having a thigh lift with the long incisions from knee to groin, or the crescent type where the incision is hidden in the groin area? I need a thigh lift, but hate the thought of long scars. Best wishes for a great surgery and quick recovery! I can't wait to see your results.
He said my scar would go down to my knee. Yeah kinda scary though my legs are worse than my tummy. So I guess I'll do everything lol.
I don't want to have the long incisions done but I may not have that option. Once the lipo is done, we will see if there's enough elasticity in my skin to shrink it back up. I have excess skin in the groin the creases but my thighs are just really heavy.
Yeah it's hard to tell. Mine are just gross all the way around. My highest weight was 255# my current weight Is 150#. But as my doctor says my thighs are a family trait so
My lift will include the incision to the knee and in the front of the groin. I'm fine with the scars and am doing this to fit better into clothing, swim without skin floating up and to feel like everything is tighter. I scar well and really, anything is better than what I have now.
speaking of skin elasticity...i had the thigh lift 6 months ago and im actually disappointed. spent 14K, or more like wasted 14K. my legs were fat before but now they are saggy and wrinkly. i will not revise with the scar to the knee. and there is no way in hell i would go thru that pain again. it was the worst of all my surgeries. needless to say, i would probably take my fat legs back if i could.
Did you lose more weight after your surgery? I'm having lipo done first to see how they react and get rid of some fullness before we proceed with thigh lift. I think that is wise of my doc. Sorry you are not happy.
I've only lost 5 lbs since my surgery, but I am going to the gym 3X a week to see if I can tone up these thighs. Unfortunately for me I think I am stuck with the sagginess. Oh well, all I can do now is chalk it up. It is what it is because I am not having a scar to the knee. Just can't bring myself to do that. sorry to be so negative. I do wish you well and good luck with your surgery