33 Years Old, Runner, Twin Mom - Rochester, NY. 397R/ 371L silicone under muscle, round smooth.

Tomorrow I have my consultation. I was a small 34C...

Tomorrow I have my consultation. I was a small 34C before kids and after I breast fed my twins I fill 1/2 of a 34A. I am 5'7 and currently 116lbs. I am an avid long distance runner so I am concerned about how the implants will affect my running, although my knees are telling me to slow down anyhow. I am currently training for the Marine Corp Marathon but may defer my entry to next year if the PS thinks it isn't a good idea to have the surgery a week or two after the marathon. I am only considering saline for safety reasons and am excited to hear what the PS recommends for me tomorrow! I'm looking to be a full C.

Congrats on your decision!! I run too and with a good supportive running bra (I use two to be safe) you shouldn't have any problems. I would consider silicone for sure, though, because my before pics looked like yours and I had rippling with silicone even (saline would be much, much worse). Silicone gels are safe these days. And silicone looks more natural and are not as heavy and hard as saline. Once you feel the difference you may change your mind. Same as going over or under the muscle. My overs were great except for the rippling until I developed capsular contracture, so then I went under. That's just my advice though :). Congrats again!! Check out my review if you get a chance.
I did 5 marathons before kids and boobs, then I found yoga. I still love to run, but now I do so mindfully. Take good care of your knees!!

Had consult today- feeling depressed

I had my consult today and I am feeling like the doctor didn't take much time other than to tell me that he'd recommend silicone even though I am very uncomfortable with silicone. He also didn't ask to see any of the pictures I spent hours selecting to decide what kind of result I was looking for. I truly want saline because I am scared of silicone but am concerned about the chances of rippling. He didn't offer any suggestions on how to minimize the rippling and I got the feeling he does very few saline augmentations. Maybe I should find a doctor that does more saline implants? On the flip side I think the doctor is the one of the best in the area, has a below average complication rate and received all excellent reviews on this site.

I'm also struggling with the feeling that I am selfishly putting myself before my family and could be putting us in financial jeopardy should complications arise. I have the cost of my first augmentation set aside but if I get capsular contraction or an infection I don't know how much that will cost to fix? Ugh, this is putting great strain on my marriage, of which we are not used to. We are a strong and happy couple but if I don't do this I will be miserable and my husband will have to listen to me complain about my unhappiness with the way clothes don't fit and I feel like a boy on top. I am usually a very happy, positive and active person, so it bothers me that this is such an issue for me. I wish this could be an easier choice.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Size...

I was thinking 330- 360 ccs and the doctor felt that would be okay. I'm surprised he didn't say they would be too big given the lack of breast tissue I have and especially since I want saline.

First, get SEVERAL more consultation. You never want to look back in hindsight (God forbid the surgery does not go as well as planned or you develop a capsular contracture etc.) and feel yoiu picked the incorrect surgeon. You should feel totally secure with your choice of surgeon. As a long distance runner, I would opt for an above muscle placement (called subglandular). When doing a subglandular breast augmentation, I too usually use silicone implants to avoid the rippling issues encountered more frequently with saline implants. I personally have used silicone on several of my relatives and I do not have performing MRI exams at this time. The newer silicone implants have been out since 2006 and I am waiting for the 10 year follow up in 2016. If there exists a higher than expected leakage rate, then I may change my present recommendations. If you are uneasy with silicone, then go for the saline. Saline implants tend to look larger than silicone implants. I cannot comment on the correct size for you without personally examining you. The high porfile saline impants usually ripple less than the moderate plus and certainly much less than the moderate profile implants. Your surgeon should review all photos you have to determine the proper size. I use sizers, which are temporary implants placed and filled to guage the proper size and shape for each patient prior to inserting the permanent implant. I hope this helps you rather than creating more questions or stress. Dr Taranow NYC
I also forgot to mention I was leaning more towards saline because I like how they look better than the silicone. I'm also concerned about silicone leaking and having to get MRI's out of pocket. After I set up my 3 consultations, I asked the doctors which type of implant they do more and all of them said 95% of the time is the cohesive silicone gel (gummy bear). So I'm a little concerned getting an implant a doctor does only 5% of the time. You're the first person I've read that was wanting saline, too. I'm not decided on which type yet, I have my first consultation on 7/28 and the second on 7/30 so I'll keep ya posted!
I'm sorry to hear about that consultation. I can't understand why a doctor wouldn't look at wish pics...pictures are worth a thousand words. It can help them visualize what you visualize for yourself. Have you seen other doctors? You may want to go with someone who understands you and you feel safe with. About the guilt...I feel it too. I know financially we are fine but if something were to go wrong physically I'd never forgive myself. I just keep telling myself that to be the best mom and wife I have to be the best "me" I can be. It's a short term sacrifice for a long term reward. I live a healthy lifestyle (as do you) so you have done all you can. A BA may be the last step for you to be content. You need to be happy, too.

Surgery scheduled!

Surgery is scheduled for 9/8 and I am SO excited. Still very nervous about all of the possible complications, especial after receiving the "informed consent" packet (aka book!). I have a sizing consult August 5th to select a size and type- saline or silicone. Still very undecided. Posted a question on the Q&A section and the majority of the doctors recommended silicone due to the minimal breast tissue I have. My husband has come around and is being supportive because he knows how important this is to me, but he too is very nervous of a worst case scenario from the surgery.

You echo so many of my concerns, which you can read on my profile. I was sure I wanted saline until I realized how they will look with my tissue--or lack of it, which you can also see in my before pix. Because of the nursing and the exercise/low body fat, I am going with submuscular--what little pec muscle I was able to build in hopes of increasing bra size--did not work! I think that if you pick out a perfectionistic doctor, who cares about his results, you will have a good result yourself. My doctor wasn't all that interested, beyond a glance, at my wish pix either. Instead he focused on ME, MY anatomy, MY tissue, MY measurements, and then gave me his range of recommendations for the best results for what I described to him as wanting--some lift, upper fullness and projection without having an actual breast lift. By going with HP's and a decent volume, I should easily achieve that according to him and his long term nurse. So, I am booked to get HP silicone 425's put in submuscular, which will appear like the 375's that we put into the surgical bra for the fitting. I liked the 350's but concerned that they might be a tad small later and I don't want to go through all of this only to wish I had gone bigger. I tried the 400's in the bra, and they were nice but just a bit too much. Went with the compromise between the two. I liked the way the 375 HP's looked and they will be enough to really fill out the empty skin I have now. I am scared about "what if it doesn't look good?!" but I KNOW it doesn't look good NOW--so I am going for it!!!
Wow you have done a great researching all of this. I am putting all my trust in my PS to make be choices on the smooth vs cohesive- what's the difference? I think I will be happy with a size similar to yours, but my husband doesn't get that with behind the muscle you have to add 50cc to get what you want. He doesn't want me going too big and looking fake- I get that, but I think with my height I can pull off 400. Your surgery is 8/5? I maybe getting that confused with another person's date. If you want to exchange cell #s so we can talk or text let me know :)
Good luck at your consult tomorrow!! Let me know how it goes :)

Ups and Downs

It had been a week of ups and downs, including feeling very down on my birthday when I normally am very happy. I've always been a strong person and in control of my feelings. For the first time this week I was so stressed and anxious it make me sick. I was so disappointed in myself for getting to this point. However, after wearing my bikini today whole playing with my boys at the water park everything came full circle when I remembered clearly why I am doing this and how the feeling of excitement came over me again when I felt comfort in knowing this would be my last summer I feel like a boy in my bikini, the last few weeks I will hate putting on a bra and not filling out my tops. So for now, I'm hanging onto that feeling and am from here on out committed to thinking positively about this. Yes I will have nerves, I'm a mother, but I can do this and I am strong. Just like the other beautifully ladies who've shared their stories on this site. I'm so thankful for this site. 8/5 I have a sizing appt and then vacation with my extended family- I'll be telling my older sister about this then. Looking forward to the distraction of vacation!

Do you have a sizing consult today? Would love to hear how it goes! Hopefully this will clear up any confusion on what type and what size. That's the most stressful part for me! How old are your twins? Ours just turned two and our house is pretty chaotic :)
Yes I do! Thanks for remembering :) it's at 1pm. I'll let you know how it goes. My hubby is more nervous about the sizing than I am. He's afraid if I go to big I'm going to look like a clown. Anything over 400 he is very against at this point. I'd like to be a very full C or small D. I think if I shoot for a small D I will be happy after they drop and the swelling goes down. I am a runner though so I'm not sure if that will be too big. I'll let you know how it goes!
Sorry you were feeling down, that seemed to be a trend among a few of us. But you are completely right, focusing on those reasons why you want a BA helps a lot. I think about how epic next summer's bathing suit shopping will be and I get giddy all over again. Vacation with definitely help. We are mama's and worrying and nerves comes with the territory. Good luck at your pre op on Tuesday!

Chose a size!!!

Today I had my appt to choose what implant size i am going with, and also to confirm that I've chosen the right doctor. Luckily things went better and he was much more interested than the first visit in giving me feedback and making me feel comfortable. His staff remains awesome- I met with a different nurse and she was as good if not better than the last one I met with. We decided on silicone, round, smooth, under muscle, inframmory incision. He will do 397cc in my right and 371 in my left to balance out the fact that my right side is slightly smaller and droops more. He said 397 is the biggest I can go due to the little breast tissue I have. My BDW is 13.5. If I wanted to go bigger I would have to so HP but I don't care for HP. I'm pretty comfortable with the size and glad I am going with the biggest possible option given my tissue situation (who knew I had one until now lol!). Even if I have boob greed afterwards I will know that I couldn't have gone bigger. He did say in a few years the implants may have stretches my tissue enough to go up 100cc but I don't think I will want that big being as active as I am.

One thing he did say, when I asked him if he wanted to look at pics of what I'm hoping my outcome will be, is that for there most part the result I will get is what I will get. The only variables that could change the result are the type, size and shape of the implants which we've already chosen the best options for me. I said mostly likely they will sit pretty round on me due to the lack of breast tissue. I don't care for the perfect circle boobs but he said with time the skin may loosen up and allow more shaping. I'm okay with this because the biggest concern if mine is feeling better in my clothes so it will be hard to see the roundness in clothes.

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to decide what size to get! So for now it is a LONG wait until 9/8!

Sounds like you had a productive appointment! I'm glad you feel better about the size. And I agree with you: you did everything in your control about the size so that's all you could do. Now you won't be saying What if...what if.
Exactly- now I have to wait 5 weeks. Eek! 3 weeks for you!!

Sizer pictures

These were the sizes from today. However you can see the volume difference in my left, which is bigger than the right. So he will do 397 in the right and 371 in the left. Hopefully that will help!

I agree with the other girls :) the sizers look great on you :) I just read that your surgery date is Sept 8th wow that's my birthday!
Thanks! Well happy early bday and let's hope time flies until then! I'm excited for you for tomorrow :)
The sizers look great on you! You look awesome!

Support

Just got back from a family camping trip and I told my older sister and her partner about my upcoming BA. They were both very supportive and my sister-in-law connected me with a friend of hers whom she helped when she had a BA. A huge relief for me to know I have their support. Heading to the gyno tomorrow for an appointment to get answers about some unexpected bleeding. I'm hoping all is okay so I can move forward with my surgery on 9/8. Starting to think the stomach pain I had a couple of weeks ago might've been something else. Will find out soon.

Hope everything worked out ok with your doctor appointment. Also wanted to let you know to NOT put the bandinis in the dryer. Holy tightness! :)
Good to know about the bandinis. THANK YOU! Pre op appt went good. I was surprised that the only Rx's I got was antibiotic, anti-nausea and Percocet. No Valium or muscle relaxers. You look GREAT by the way :)
Thanks! Feeling great, too. Did a little shopping today and bought four new tops, including two sweaters which I was beyond thrilled to fill out! :) Interesting about the muscle relaxers...maybe call to ask? It seems that most woman here get them.

4 more days!!!

I've been nesting like a pregnant woman for a couple weeks now. The kids are back at school and I'm trying to wrap things up at work. My surgery is 9/8 (Monday) and I took off Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I plan/ hope to work from home doing desk/ phone work Thursday and Friday, I just hope I will be able to. My 7 year old twins will be staying overnight at my parent's house Monday night and my husband will be taking care of me. I hope I'll be okay Tuesday afternoon for my kids to see me after school.....being 7 they are pretty independant plus my husband will be here. My PS didn't recommend Arnica or any other supplements/ creams but for the massage oil he gave me, antibiotic and Percocet. I have my memory foam wedge pillow, neck pillow, pill case, ice packs, sports bras, zip up clothing, wipes, laxative and camel back. This weekend I will get jello, soup and high fiber foods (any suggestion?). Am I missing anything else?

I posted a question to the doctors in this community about my implant size as I'm concerned they won't get me the small D look I'm hoping for. My PS said I can't go bigger than 397, but I hear of so many women who are shorter and thinner than me getting larger implants that I am second guessing his advice. I'm not sure what to do about this. Thanks for listening ladies!

Wow, it sounds like you are all set for your surgery. I feel you should get topless photos of breasts you like so he has an accurate "photo' of your desired size/look. Please realize that the size also depends on your frame and the amount of skin you have. Also, a 400cc implant is a C cup on a patient who is 5'8" and weighs 200 lbs vs a DD cup on a 5'1' female who weighs 110 lbs. Dr Taranow
It sounds like you are ready to go! I think you'll be okay the second day for your kids to see you but if you aren't they are old enough to understand you're not feeling well and you just need some quiet time. As for the size, I would bring it up to him and voice your concerns. I don't have any personal advice because I'm shorter and weigh more than you haha but based on your sizer pictures i would guess you're a small d/big c. Definitely bring it up to him.

TOMORROW is the day!

oday's my last day of freedom. I'm staying pretty calm for the most part by not thinking about tomorrow's surgery and knowing that I got a lot of stuff around the house cleaned and organized before surgery. I told my 7 yr old boys that I was having surgery and wouldn't be able to play (other than reading) or do anything around the house. I asked for their help if I need it and they said yes and didn't ask any other questions. I suspect they will ask more questions once they see me after surgery. Right now most of my anxiety is about the thought of not waking up after surgery and not knowing how the pain will be and what I won't be able to do (brush teeth? Put up hair? Wipe after going to the bathroom?). Otherwise, I'm ready to get this done and begin my recovery!! Bring it on! Have to be there at 6:30 for surgery at 7:30. I'm so glad I am early.

Doing surprisingly well! Immediately following surgery was pretty painful so they have me liquid Percocet. I laid right down when I got home and dozed in and out of sleep. Got out of bed at 1 to eat and watching TV now. Will be takings next Percocet soon. Post recovery I was shaking mostly because of the reaction to the anasthesia (same thing happened to me after I delivered my kids). I'm bracing for tomorrow which I'm told is the hardest day.
Good luck! Wishing you a smooth surgery! Sending you lots of positive thoughts, you'll do great!
Let me know how your Post op goes.

I MADE IT!

Doing surprisingly well! I think I'm just so happy to be alive- I know, so crazy of me. Immediately following surgery was pretty painful so they have me liquid Percocet. I laid right down when I got home and dozed in and out of sleep. Got out of bed at 1pm to eat and watching TV now. Will be takings next Percocet soon. Post recovery I was shaking mostly because of the reaction to the anasthesia (same thing happened to me after I delivered my kids). I'm bracing for tomorrow which I'm told is the hardest day. Boobs look good so far, but for the misshape at the top but I assume that will go away after they drop and fluff. Thanks ladies for your caring and support!

I had mine done on the 8th as well! Right out of recovery was worst for me. I was hyperventilating and having so much pain through my panic attacks. The pressure was on my chest so it hurt to breath. The nurses in my clinic didnt really make it any better by treating me poorly IMO. They kinda had a 'deal with it' attitude. Once I got to the hotel though and loaded up on my meds and ice I did ALOT better and havent had much pain since! Even got up and took a shower and went to breakfast this morning :) Hope your recovery is going well. You got bigger cc's than me so the pressure/pain is probably more :/
The pressure is the most common complaint...like someone sitting on your chest. I usualy give Valium to all of my patients so aid with the muscle relatation. Hope you are feeling better Dr. Taranow
Yes the valium helps relaxing the chest muscles. I def notice a difference with the valium coupled with ice.

Day 2

Today I felt about the same as day 1, not worse so I made be choice to transition from Percocet to Tylenol. I def have more pain without the Percocet. So long as day 3 isn't worse than today I can manage the pain. I start back to work from home in Thursday, so I'm hoping to get a little relief by then. My back is starting to hurt because my shoulders and chest are so tight I think that tension is pulling on my back. I took a laxative this morning and it worked by 3pm. Here are some more pics!

No exercises and they said I could ice but it doesn't help reduce the swelling it just relieves the pain, so I decided to skip that. Most of my pain is at the incision which I was told not to ice. I bet if I iced I would feel some relief, maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Back pain is still there so I went for a walk today and have been working on getting my correct posture back vs. being slumped over from the tightness.
Know how you feel, my biggest discomfort has been back and neck pain and I know it was related to how I've been carrying myself. So I made a conscious effort the last two days to straighten up and it made a huge difference! I also started mild yoga stretching Monday. I'm a week post op and these things feel like they weigh a ton, lol! I actually find myself holding them up! Happy healing
Be careful with icing surgical sites. Many times, the skin is both sensative to freezing burns and numb so you cannot feel any damage occurring. Dr. T

Day 3 (aka shower day!)

Yesterday I took a bath to shake my legs and washed my hair in the kitchens sink which felt like heaven at the time, but a full shower today was bliss! I also changed from Tylenol to Advil and it seems to be working better. I am having sharp pain on the outter part of each incision when I take a deep breath, I will be calling my PS about that tomorrow. I've been doing most everything I want to- walks, dishes, cooking, laundry and doing my hair with only mild pain. The only complaint I have is how swollen my stomach has gotten today. It is so swollen it's hard to take a deep breath. I hope that gets better soon.

Glad you are feeling better. Do not worry about the abdominal swelling. It always goes away after a few more days. Dr. T
Yep, the nipples seem to stay that way....all the time!! I am 5 weeks out and it looks like I am always cold!! Lol. I have silicone nursing pads and honestly have to wear them everyday.
Erect nipples post augmentation is not uncommon. Over time, the vast majority settle down and revert to normal. Hope you are one of the majority. Best of luck. Dr. T

Best wedge pillow!

Here's a pic of the wedge pillow I bought that has made sleeping a breeze, in conjunction with a memory foam neck pillow and some other pillows on top of the wedge.

Day by day you are getting there. I feel like I just got mine, but tomorrow it will already be 3 weeks! This part does pass quickly and soon you will be having soft enhanced breasts. Try to keep moving daily but do not overdo. I found I was more sore and achy by evening every day. Glad you have made it to the other side and soon this part will be a distant memory. You look great!
Firewife, where did you get the silicone pads? Not only do I look like I'm cold but they're super sensitive! Do they help with the sensitivity too?
I got them years ago when I nursed. However, I looked on Kohl's website and they have them. They are called LilyPadz Silicone Nursing Pads. I love that they cannot be seen under my clothes. I found they do help with the sensitivity. Mine are much better now, but even my bra rubbing against them hurt. These helped so much!! They are a little pricey but soooo worth it!

Swollen/ Bloated- STILL?!

I feel great and can do anything I want but upper exercises. Had my one week post op app today and everything looks great. My only complaint is the swelling/ bloating in my belly. Look at these before and after pics. Yuck! I've been very careful to eat healthy to avoid gaining weight, which I haven't but this belly issue is frustrating. I started daily walks (sometimes twice/ day) on day 4 and the nurse today told me that could increase the swelling! I also noticed when I'm in bed my lower abdomen gurgles and bubbles a lot. I've had regular bowel movements since day 2 and I drink at least 96oz o water a day. Suggestions or do I just need to wait this out. I'm okay with that as long as I know it will eventually go away.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Another before pic- flat stomach

How have you been? Just checkin in to see how your feeling:)
Keep doing what you always did and they will return to normal. There is a lot of extra fluid in your body that has to be reabsorbed. If your doctor allows, really stress the protein right now because not only does it help healing post-op, having good albumin levels helps attract the fluid into your blood vessels and then to the kidneys and on out. Good nutrition is the key to good albumin levels. For me, I ate tofu, egg whites (you can get them liquid at Costco super cheap), unsalted nuts and boca burgers (I am also a vegetarian). My carbs were all natural such as fruits and vegetables--not processed or simple carbs. I had zero bloating after day 2. I'm not giving you medical advice, only what worked for me. Believe me, you did not gain fat during the procedure :) so like everyone says, it will go back to normal. I am 3 weeks and able to do sit ups now.
No potty problems for me- been regular since day 2 thankfully. I will be patient since most ladies here say it can take several weeks. Thanks for the feedback ladies!

2 Weeks!

Hi ladies! Sorry I haven't written on a while. I got my stitches out at 1 week. I was nervous because I read some women who said it was painful but it wasn't at all- very quick and painless. My steri strips are still on so I haven't looked at my incisions. The doctor doesn't recommend using any type of scar cream or oil- he says I am going to heal the way I am going to heal regardless if I use a cream or oil to massage them. I trust him- he's got a great reputation and the photos I've seen of his work are fabulous.

I feel about 85% normal, not cleared for upper body workouts yet and I understand why. If I pull too far or stretch a certain way I feel pressure at the incision sites, sort of like it is pulling the skin apart. My only limitations at this point are no running (which is becoming really hard to love without!), no push ups and I can't pick up my boys.....their 7 but still like me to carry them to bed after storytime sometimes :)

Here's a recap of when I was able to do various activities post-op (doesn't include day of the surgery):

Washed my own hair in sink- day 2
Walks- day 2, faster walks by day 5
Light cleaning- day 3 (dishes, picking up things, laundry on day 5)
Heavy cleaning- day 10
Bicycle ride- day 10
Elbow planks- day 11

So far I love my new additions! I had some fun trying on some dresses in my closet for my husband the other night and he commented on the fact that he hadn't seen me smile like that in clothes in a long time. Yeah, I'm pretty happy :)

My nipples are still super sensitive but I've been wearing a fitted cami with bikini top liners to protect my nipples- they work great. Last week, until day 8, I was getting a lot of pressure in my boobs by the end of the day. I'm glad that is gone and I stopped taking Advil on day 13. Boobs are softer but still fairly hard and have some more dropping to do, I think. PS said the upper fullness is due to swelling so that should go down. Oh and thankfully my swollen stomach went away at about day 11. Hope everyone else is doing great. I've seen a lot of updates and photos from my fellow August/ September friends and you all look amazing!

You look amazing! I'm a runner too, and your pre-op books looks almost exactly like mine. I also want saline but was worried about my lack of breast tissue. I may have missed it in your post but how many cc's did you end up going with? I'll be interested to hear how it feels running with your new additions! Congrats!
While I agree with your concerns regarding silicone, the saline implants do bounce quite a bit more than the silicone implants. I discuss this with all of my patients who are physically active...specifically runners. Dr. T
Thanks so much for your input Dr. Taranow! That of course makes sense that saline would bounce more than silicone. I also know that silicone would look much more "natural" in someone with minimal breast tissue (I have breast fed for a total of 3 years so there isn't much left! :-)). However, I just wouldn't feel comfortable with silicone. I think silicone looks amazing, but it's just not for me! I'm too much puff a hypochondriac and would drive myself crazy! :-)

Yearning to Run

I'm 2 weeks now and my PS says I can run at 3 weeks, and since I'm itching to run I've been thinking about it a lot. I've been speed walking and taking 10 mile bike rides already. When did you start back at running? I've read a lot of girls didn't start until 6 weeks but I don't think I can wait that long especially since my PS is giving me the green light at 3 weeks. Has anyone started back at 3 weeks? Do you wish you had waited an extra week or two? I was doing 10-11 milers before my BA so I figured I'd start with a 3 miler and ease my way back into it.

Definitly do not get silicone if you are at all worried about issues with the gel. Feel free to contact me (free of charge) with any questions you may have about implants or the surgery. Good luck 212-772-2100

Almost 5 weeks

Hi ladies! Sorry it's been so long. I've been enjoying getting back to a normal life. I am still feeling great- incisions are healing nicely and the swelling is mostly gone. I started running at exactly 3 weeks after approval from my PS. I did 4.4 miles the first time out. Boobs felt fine but arms were a bit sore. I wore two sports bras- one that I had before my BA (target C9 brand) and a high support zip up bra. They don't move a bit, in fact, they are probably too squished because after a longer run (8+ miles) they are so from being squished. A little morning boob still but not painful at all. Here's a fun swim suit pic :)

You look fantastic. Thank you for sharing your story and I can't wait to see your progress. Im still 3 months out! :(
You look great in that bikini!
Thanks! It was fun to try on :) if only it was summer still. Lol