Arms First, More Later -Rochester, NY

I have lost more than half of my body weight...

I have lost more than half of my body weight through diet and exercise and recently consulted with a surgeon for staged skin removal surgery.
We decided that an arm lift should be the first procedure, followed by a breast lift in a few months. My surgeon will not combine these procedures due to the risks involved with healing long scars.
I'm scheduled for 1/17/2014.

Before photos:

Adding photos of my wings.
Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

Congratulations on your weight loss, that's a huge achievement and good luck with your upcoming surgery. I hope everything goes well and you have a smooth recovery!

Please do keep us updated with your progress.

Moving along

Just received a call from the surgeons office, pre-op at hospital will be this Friday, 1/3/14. I should have more information from them in the mail later this week.

Got on the scale this morning and weighed 153. I'm 5'9" and have been about 10 pounds lower than this but looked older and a little scary so I have been eating more.

However, the eating more has added weight to my midsection so I'm going to try to get back below 150 before the arm surgery by tracking my intake better and exercising more.
We must be twins...your before pictures of your arms look like mine did. And we are pretty much the same height etc.. I had my arm surgery last April along with the breast lift and implant also I needed a lower face/neck lift due to the weight loss...You are going to love your new arms, check out my before and after pics...it will all be worth it!!! I am now planning on having a lower body lift. It's funny because I didn't think I needed one since I don't have that apron of skin hanging down from my belly, rather everything has fallen down to be lower half legs and thighs. I was amazed when my surgeon pulled up the loose skin on my lower half and showed me what a body lift would do...I could not tell where my butt ended and my legs began! I thought I was doomed to always have to cover up that half, now I am excited! Good luck to you, I will be following your progress!!!
Thank you for the comment. Your before pics do look a lot like mine and I'm hoping for nice results like yours, but anything will be an improvement. I plan to have a breast lift next - probably early April but don't think I will have implants. My doc prefers to lift, heal and then implant anyway, but I think I'll be happy after lift since I'm happy with a small bust. I did have a tummy tuck a few years ago, but was about 20-25 pounds heavier then. It has held up well but my thighs and backside are pretty saggy so I may see if a body lift followed by a thigh lift is the way to go. I have not yet consulted my doc about this because the upper body is more important now. I'm lucky that my insurance will cover all these procedures so I can do them one at a time and not have too much healing going on at once - this also helps with my work schedule and running our busy household.
My PS really wanted to only do the lift and then he said when I returned for the body lift he would do the implant, but I wanted it done all at once since I wasn't sure I'd be back. Now I am planning on going back and yes it would have been better if I had let everything heal first. Most dr's do not want to put in the implant when the lift is done. It's fine but I'm just saying I'm sure it would have even been better waiting. I have a small area at the bottom of one arm that has a little pulling of the scar which I plan on having fixed when I do the body lift. Get some rest for the big day and I will be following your progress!

Weighing and waiting

My weight is now back down to 148. I just needed a few days of eating my regular meals to get rid of the holiday bloat.

The pre op at the hospital was pretty brief and I was supposed to see my regular doctor for clearance tomorrow but we are having a blizzard, so that is canceled.

I will call first thing Wednesday and hope that he can fit me in.

I will see my surgeon the afternoon before surgery for consents and mark up, hopefully the weather will stay calm after this storm moves on since I'm driving quite a distance to his office.

The nerves haven't kicked in yet, but they will.
I am scheduled for the 30th. I am glad I found your blog to follow. My situation is similar and you gave me the idea to take before pics with my arms down.
Good luck and I hope you will be as happy as I'm just 4 days after surgery.

1 week to go

I had my medical clearance with my regular doctor this morning, he agrees that I need to have the excess skin removed and wrote a letter to the PS and insurance.

I'm adding a photo of my arm in a tshirt - I would never wear a short sleeved shirt outside the house because of the ugly.
That is nice if the ins. will cover it. I thought this is a cosmetic issue and not a medical one but who doesn't love it if ins. will pay for it. I feel better and better every day and I thought it was worth evevery penny I paid for it. Good luck with your surgery and I hope it will go just as well as in my case.
I have an unusual insurance situation that allows for cosmetics through a rider, but my doctor is calling this reconstructive surgery due to my losing 160 pounds. Having this coverage will allow me to stage the other surgeries I need over the rest of the year, or longer.

Less than 12 hours to go

Today I saw my PS for mark up and last minute questions. We decided to extend the incision into the back of the armpit to pull up some of the extra skin there.

I have my pain meds and antibiotics plus I picked up some dry shampoo because I will stay bandaged for 6 days which is when I'll have my first follow up. At that point, I should be able to ditch the ACE bandages and switch to the compression garment.

We need to be at the hospital by 5:30am for surgery at 7 and I could be out by mid afternoon.

I think the waiting to see my arms will be worse than any pain.
Good luck and if it is goes like my surgery than you only need the antibiotics and some light pain meds...i got the garment on during my surgery but it seems every plastic surgeon works different. Let us know how it went...again good luck and say bye to the wings.

Home

Surgery went well. Pain only on left where the incision extends from the armpit to the bra line.
Doctor told my husband that he took less skin than he had marked to keep things proportionate.
As long as nothing flaps, I'm good.
I just got my breasts done the same day you had your arms done. I am hurting some around where they glued me up, but other than that I am good!
Congrats:) and recovery can start and enjoying your new arms. Mine already look good even though they are still swollen.

Pain Control

I took a total of 7 lot tabs after coming home from the surgery but decided to switch to Motrin this morning. I now have no pain or discomfort although my arms are somewhat swollen. I think I can manage to get a quick cleanup done this morning - no showering yet, but my sister is coming by to help with my hair.

From what little I can see, the arms look great. Most of the discomfort is coming from the area where the incision extends down the side of the chest and at the elbows where the cutting stopped.

Mostly pain free

I have very little discomfort today and have ditched the Motrin. I just took the last antibiotic and pulled my bandages tighter because the swelling has gone down.

I can tell that my scars are placed in a perfect area and are nice and straight. I can't wait to get a good look at everything when I see the PS at the end of the week.
can't wait to see the after pictures!
Can't wait to see pictures! :) Happy healing!
I hope to see how the end result is. I'm glad to hear you are doing fine.

I burst into tears

when I saw my arms today.

They are so beautiful!

My PS says that they are healing well and now that I'm free from the wraps and into a compression garment, I can shower (which I did as soon as I came home) and slowly work on restoring the range of motion.

My husband told me, right after surgery, that the PS said he took less skin than marked, but actually he took more skin. I now have very little swelling, but the scar placement is perfect and very even and the proportions of the upper and lower arms are great.

I'll get photos in the morning and post them here.

Also, we did decide that the next stage will likely be a thigh lift, saving breast work for Fall.

After photos

You look wonderful, the arms look great, your before pictures look like my arms did. Most people have this surgery to get rid of the bat wings, (which I did have also) but even worse was the terrible wrinkly skin, like you had too...I could keep my arms at my side to hide the bat wings, but there was just no hiding the wrinkles...so happy not to look like am 102 anymore! You are going to love Summer this year!!!
OMG you look amazing. We have twin arms...my look similar and I know what you are going through since I feel the same and I only wish I had done it years ago.

2 weeks

My arms continue to heal without issue. The swelling is minimal and the discomfort is not too bad. I do tend to feel more pain later in the day if I have been active so I'm trying not to do too much. The steri strips are coming off slowly and the incisions look terrific.
I'm right behind you. Can't wait to get through the next week.
Getting past the first two weeks makes a huge difference. I have been feeling really well for the past few days and only have some discomfort at night because I'm not a back sleeper.

Look at that skinny arm

I saw my PS today and everything looks great. I will continue to wear my compression garments and start scar treatment in a few days. A few stitches were clipped since they had worked themselves out, but that was painless.

I can now raise my arms a few inches above shoulder height and that should continue to improve in the next few weeks.
Your arms look fantastic, but I cant figure out who your surgeon was. Could you please post

4 weeks

I'm at the four week mark today and I have very little pain or swelling. My incisions are starting to flatten a little and the bunchiness at each end is also smoothing out. My range of motion is nearly completely normal and I'm having less trouble lifting and pushing, although I do continue to watch myself.
I have added a long sleeved CG to the rotation and that seems to make my forearms more comfortable and smaller, without affecting my wrists or hands.
My only issue is a few more stitches have worked up to the surface. I will see how they look in a few more days and see my PS if they don't improve. I would clip them myself if I could reach.
I'm going to continue the CG for 2-4 more weeks. They are comfortable and go under most of my clothes without showing.
I did have a dress up thing earlier in the week and I spent 4 hours without the CG and wearing a regular bra. I had to loosen the bra because it hit the end of the scar on my chest, but the arms did not hurt or swell very much until the next morning. Even then, it was only a few hours of swelling.
I never told my PS that I was on this website until after the surgery and their office was so happy I had written the review since they stated this was a very legitimate website to check things out.:)
I agree (or I wouldn't be opting here) but my PS is very conservative, booked well in advance and because he accepts my insurance as full reimbursement, I'm not going to share his name without his consent or until I'm done. Not every PS in my area will take the insurance and I feel lucky that I was able to completely trust someone who does. Initially I thought that I would combine procedures and I know now that my PS being so conservative is giving me easy recovery and that has been priceless.
Opting should say posting

6 weeks

6 weeks seems to be the magic mark where the pain is almost nonexistent, the scars look great, the range of motion is almost perfect and the swelling is nearly gone.

I'm no longer feeling tightness and except for an occasional nerve twinge, the sensation is fairly normal and even. I've had a few stitches pop thru, but they have been easy to wiggle out with tweezers. I've also been wearing the CG less and less, I still wear it at night and at the gym, but I go without for a few hours at a time. My PS suggested I wear it for another two weeks, if possible.

I'm still being careful about lifting for another 3 or 4 weeks, but with my Thigh Lift scheduled in 6 weeks, it will be great to continue to feel normal before that recovery period.

I'll try to get photos over the next few days, although the arms look about the same. They now measure 9 1/2 inches and all of my clothing fits with arm room to spare.
wow and a thigh lift in six weeks?? What sort of thigh lift? Short incision, long incision? i am getting a thigh lift in July....
Yes, thighs on 4/11 and then either a revision of my earlier (8 years ago) TT to a full body lift or a breast lift in July. My thighs will need a full lift from knee to groin because I have lots of skin and very little fat.
My PS does not combine procedures so we are staging them every 12 weeks or so - I may do some facial work last.

No complaints

I flat out love my "new" arms. My incisions look so good, even though the ends of a few of the staples (I thought they were stitches, but they turned out to be Insorb staples) have worked their way to the surface, mostly along the sides of my chest.

When one starts to bother me, I use a warm compress and then grab it with tweezers - it's just the v shaped end that comes out and the hole closes right up. This is common in the chest area, according to google.

I expect to continue to heal over the next few weeks and to be completely ready to have my long thigh lift on 4/11. I'm also hoping that that recovery will go as well as this one has, although I can credit my PS for not wanting to cut too much at one time.

I'm still wearing my CG at night or when I expect a strenuous day, but it feels great to be back in a regular bra and back at the gym.

I also want to say

that fixing my arms has had a profound effect on my body image. When I see myself now, I see a slender person with strong and graceful arms. This makes me feel secure and confident and very far removed from the person who weighed 325 pounds.

I can't wait to get the legs done.
Who was your surgeon?
I'm feeling blue, three days post op, and I'm glad I read your review. Thank you. :) I was 351 pounds, I'm now 159. We are similar, I hope my recovery is like yours too. :)
That is so wonderful to see! How did you get your insurance Co. To pay for it?

Nearly 10 weeks PO

Continuing to heal without issue, love the results and super excited about my Thigh Lift in 15 days!
Wow you're arms look great...We have very similar stats and our arms could have been twins, but I believe your surgeon cut out more than mine did...I had mine done in April so it's almost been a year, I am having a little pulled area fixed at the bottom of one might just ask to take off a little more while he's cutting...Maybe having a LBL and long thigh lift at the same time...pretty excitied...

3 months out

I'm also a week out from a medial thigh lift. My recovery from that has been very easy, probably because of my comfort level with my PS and my having no apprehension about another procedure.

My arms continue to amaze me, I doubt they have looked this good since grade school. I can now wear size xs tops and still have room in the sleeve. I'm really looking forward to warmer weather and being more active once my thighs allow.

My next procedure will be in July to redo my TT and possibly a breast lift. By the end of the year, I should be free from the worst of my excess skin and seeing the progress has really made me confident that I will stay at this weight very comfortably.

My scars do not bother me a bit, they are healing well and are a reminder that I have been very blessed to find my way back to health.
I would love to see pics for jul 2014. Your arm transformation looks great! Hope you're happy and showing off those new arms in a tank top.
Your arms look amaazing and having gone through the same surgery in January I know how happy you probably are since it makes a huge difference. I get so many compliments and even at the pool people are stating I'm so thin and ask if i lost a lot of weight which actually is not even true but I'm 5.3" and weigh around 119 lbs and arms with wings or flappies as I used to call them make your body image so different. Two weeks ago I went for a few days to the Bahamas and showed off in bathing suit and sleeveless dresses and I also have gone to work with sleeveless shirts with a blazer but often have taken my blazer off. Due to my scars being on the inside of my arm you can only see them if I reach up in the air and I have seen people look and some have told me that they forgot I had the surgery since it is hard to see unless I really show my arms in a way you don't often will have them. Even my kids stated they forgot I had the surgery and stated it is hard to see. I put make up over the scar when I go to the pool to cover them from the sun. I'm litteraly grateful for having decided to get this surgery performed since it is for me a life changing surgery since I started to hate shopping for clothes since sleeves were very tight around my arms when it came to blazers, blouses, etc. and I look so different in the same clothes as I had before. For me this surgery is something I can really recommend to others if you get a good surgeon and like you I had it done with no other procedures. My face lift was almost 2 years ago and that was also done very well.
Surgeon please? It helps both people and surgeon. Thanks.

Scars at nearly 6 months

My arms continue to delight me. Now that the warm weather is here I'm wearing tanks and short sleeves. My scars only show a little from the back but I have not noticed that anyone really sees them. There is no pain at all and I'm glad that they were fully healed before my recent tummy work as I needed my arms to get me out of chairs.

Photos:

Your arms look just beautiful!! Congratulations!! GREAT pics!
Amazing you should be so pleased
Thanks for the updated pics